++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 30, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #5,057 of 29,490
I want to buy new headphones. At first I tooth that the Sony Xb1000 were perfect for me. Than I read the xb1000 vs xb700 threat and now I am confused witch to buy. I only listen to Eminem and nothing else. This is what I like about the two of this headphones:
xb1000
-it has bigger drivers.
-looks better
xb700
-much cheaper
-a guy said it is better for rap
The thing that confused me the most was the part about the one being laid back and the other more in your face. I can't understand that because I haven't hared many headphones. Can I get the one from laid back to in your face with an amp and the others from in your face yo being laid back. And the amp not to be very expensive. like the e7 for example.

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #5,059 of 29,490
Yesterday, you asked us whether the XB500 fares well with games/movies.
Today, you unequivocally tell us the XB500 doesn't fare well with games/movies - and with such high zest. 
Tell me. What turned you into a guru in one day?
I've only demoed the XB500 with music, but I'd say it's decent for games/movies if you just want an engaging sound. It may not satisfy competitive needs for gaming, but it should be enough for recreational gaming. 

Quote:
bull i aint gonna buy XB500, they are bad for games and movies whiteout EQ. CYA

The V6 is a solid choice.

Quote:

Well like I said I listen to anything and everything to be honest. So I just want a pair of headphones that has a good soundstage and has good lows, mids and highs; I don't want something that emphasises bass or treble.

These would be solely for music listening, so maybe the MDR V6 is a good choice?

Thanks for your help.

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #5,060 of 29,490

Quote:
Yesterday, you asked us whether the XB500 fares well with games/movies.
Today, you unequivocally tell us the XB500 doesn't fare well with games/movies - and with such high zest. 
Tell me. What turned you into a guru in one day?
I've only demoed the XB500 with music, but I'd say it's decent for games/movies if you just want an engaging sound. It may not satisfy competitive needs for gaming, but it should be enough for recreational gaming. 

Yes, i woke up today with some superpowers and now i can lift cars and i know everything about headphones and chinese foodstores...
blink.gif

But iv searched some forums about these (Sony XB500) for games, and people said that the base if overpowered and its the only thing you can hear, and that is whitout EQ settings. And there is no EQ in ps3.

But i respect your response to a headphone noob like me so thank you.

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #5,061 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, this is my first time posting in the full sized headphones forum! I have always been mostly an IEM guy but I would like to get a pair of full sized headphones. I'm on a $200-350 budget and I'm looking for some headphones that are closed, somewhat portable (no unwieldly 3m+ cables), and have a balanced sound with maybe a slight emphasis in the bass department.
I am coming from IEMs such as the Monster TP Golds and the Earsonics SM3s, so I am looking something that will straight up top them in terms of sound quality. Comfort is big but not the most important thing. Also I currently do not own an amp but I could possibly get one in the near future. However I would like something that retain the sound signature when unamped.

As for music preferences, I listen to a lot of rock (Gn'R, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin), but I also listen to quite a bit of hip hop, rap, and drum & bass

I've looked around a bit and I'm deciding between the Denon D2000, M50, and the Ultrasone HFI780. Does anyone have any suggestion of how I can fully utilize my budget according to my needs?

bump, I've looked up the Pioneer HDJ-2000, but I'm not too convinced. I also took a look at the Ultrasone Pro 750 and 900. I know some people have said that 900 is more geared towards electronica music but I'm not sure. Which one would better suit my taste in music?

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #5,062 of 29,490

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply,

Well like I said I listen to anything and everything to be honest. So I just want a pair of headphones that has a good soundstage and has good lows, mids and highs; I don't want something that emphasises bass or treble.

These would be solely for music listening, so maybe the MDR V6 is a good choice?

Thanks for your help.

The V6/7506 is a fine headphone for music, and can also be found on sale quite readily.

Quote:
How does Phiaton MS 400, Phiaton MS 300, Audio Technica M50 compare to Audio Technica ESW9 ?
Sound, build quality, size, comfort, etc.

M50: U-shaped frequency response, most impactful bass, somewhat recessed mids, solid build quality, full sized circumaural headphone, best isolation of the group
MS300: neutral sound, best detail (somewhat grado-ish), good bass punch (better with amping)
MS400: heavy bass/midbass sound, recessed highs, very "fun" sound
ESW9a: smallest, neutral frequency response, typical audio technica airy sound, weakest isolation, good build quality but lightest of the group

Quote:
Thanks, I will take that into consideration.
I had a few more questions. How do I realize what my mids, lows, and highs are?

There is no strict definition for low/mid/high. Personally, I roughly correspond the lows to <100Hz and highs to >1000Hz.

Quote:
I want to buy new headphones. At first I tooth that the Sony Xb1000 were perfect for me. Than I read the xb1000 vs xb700 threat and now I am confused witch to buy. I only listen to Eminem and nothing else. This is what I like about the two of this headphones:
xb1000
-it has bigger drivers.
-looks better
xb700
-much cheaper
-a guy said it is better for rap
The thing that confused me the most was the part about the one being laid back and the other more in your face. I can't understand that because I haven't hared many headphones. Can I get the one from laid back to in your face with an amp and the others from in your face yo being laid back. And the amp not to be very expensive. like the e7 for example.

An amp will very rarely change the general sound characteristics of a headphone, not counting the difficult to drive heavies like orthos and high impedance dynamics.

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #5,064 of 29,490
Hiya, I have been looking for some new cans to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD595.

Im mostly listning to Rock, Electronica\chiptune\8 bit and drum & bass.

My amp is an e7+e9, any good suggestions for next step up? I am looking for somewhere in the 200-300£ range.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #5,065 of 29,490
I love the works of Arjen Anthony Lucassen (ayreon) I really like his work with my DT880/250's. Nice soundstage, decent low punch, detailed highs, acceptable mids.
I tried it with the SR325is but it is basicly a no-go. Mids are great and highs are very detailed but they lack boatloads of soundstage and bass punch. 
With the Dt880s i am still missing soundstage and mids and a bit of lower punch.
From what i read i read, the T1 seems to deliver. Any other recommendations?

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #5,066 of 29,490
Quote:
I love the works of Arjen Anthony Lucassen (ayreon) I really like his work with my DT880/250's. Nice soundstage, decent low punch, detailed highs, acceptable mids.
I tried it with the SR325is but it is basicly a no-go. Mids are great and highs are very detailed but they lack boatloads of soundstage and bass punch. 
With the Dt880s i am still missing soundstage and mids and a bit of lower punch.
From what i read i read, the T1 seems to deliver. Any other recommendations?

I'd go with the HD800 over the T1 by a large margin.   The soundstage is bigger and it has a far more natural timbre than the T1s I've heard.  Both the HD800 and T1 have similar amounts of bass to the DT880 though.

For the best bass extension and quality I'd go with the LCD-2s but you might find them too dark compared to your current phones.  The HE-6s strike a middle ground but I'm not sure if your amp can get the most of those power hungry beasts so you'd have to check in with other owners.  Neither have the massive soundstage of the HD800s though.

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #5,067 of 29,490
Hey there, I have currently decided to buy a new headset, for gaming and lets plays etc. My price range is around $50-$150

I have my eyes on one at the moment for the price of $69, but am unsure with the durability. The 'Plantronics GameCom 777 Headset'. Apparently it is great for a lot of things. But, I have heard a lot of complaints on its durability, but I have a medium to small head, so I wouldn't be too worried. This headset is currently one I am really aiming towards, as it's the only headset I have seen close to my house. I was previously looking at the Audio Technica M50 with a zalman clip on mic but found the M50 isn't sold anywhere in Australia, and only through online payment. Which I cannot be apart of. If it is sold somewhere in brisbane Qld, let me know.

If I were to explain the ideal headset I am looking for, it would be:
- It will be used for 70% gaming/recording and 30% music/movies.
-Doesn't need to be portable, as it will be at home constantly. But still might travel once in a blue moon.
-Preferably $50-$150, as stated above.
-To be honest, I have no idea what amped means. As I am fairly new to headphones etc. So any information would be appreciated. 
-Preferably closed. But haven't tried open, so am sort of unsure.

So yeah, what I really want to know is, are there any other better brands or better all round headsets/headphone+clip-on-mic combo out there around that price range? This is my first time here, so if this is incorrect or something is wrong. Please let me know.

By the way guys, I am currently in Brisbane, Australia. So if you know of any good shops for gaming/recording headphones, I would be grateful if you were to tell me where one is or the names of some.

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #5,068 of 29,490
I love my HD380s in terms of sound and isolation, but the comfort leaves much to be desired. In particular, they press on one spot on my jaw that can actually become painful after a while.
I have tried other headphones such as the A900s that are more comfortable, but I don't like the sound as much.
Is there a way to modify the 380s for a better fit?
Alternatatively, are there phones with similar sound and isolation but more comfortable?

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #5,069 of 29,490
I'm looking for a set of headphones.  My location precludes me from demoing...anything, and audiophilia is a nonexistant hobby here--the only cans you can buy for over 50 bucks are labeled by a certain over-the-hill rapper.

I'm a basshead, but I've long outgrown the fatty-ass bass of XB500s and their ilk.  I need something that's capable (at least nearly) of smashing my face in when I listen to dubstep (flux pavilion), but it needs to be musical when I listen to something more soothing (Nina Simone) or complex (The Offspring).  I'm pretty sensitive to HF, but not overly so.  My old SR80i's were very fatiguing, though the mids and highs sounded amazing for as long as I could stand being stabbed in the ears.  Needless to say to you guys, the bass didn't even come close to cutting it. So, in short, I like a nice, fairly warm, musical sound with a fairly wide/deep soundstage and the potential to make my head rumble.

My budget for the phones is about $500.  I plan on picking up a Hifiman 602 to act as a DAC/Preamp/Portable player and one of the tiny tube amps that have become all the rage lately on the paycheck after my headphone purchase (or earlier, if the cans come under budget).

I was looking at the Beyer DT770s, but the highs and recessed mids frightened me off.  I was almost absolutely set on the AS Pro900s and the reports of their Richter-scaled-but-still-musical bass, but I've heard mixed reviews about the harshness of their highs and that their mids might be a little mechanical.  The Beyer 150s have recently been brought to my attention, but they're nigh impossible to find reviews on...I think I found 2 reviews in 10 pages of search results. 

Anyone got some suggestions?

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #5,070 of 29,490
The M50 is awful for competitive gaming (specifically FPS). Truthfully, the M50 receives a mountain of hype. It's a great headphone, but it doesn't suit everyone's tastes/needs.
You'll want an open design because open headphones - usually - have a larger soundstage, but they - usually - suffer in bass quantity (this is advantageous when identifying directional cues). Try the HD555 (you'll need to purchase a clip-on mic). Foam modding the HD555 will make it identical to its more expensive sibling, HD595 ($135~$150). It won't satisfy bassy yearnings, but it's splendid for gaming and movies.
Another common suggestion is the AD700. 
Amp = amplifier --> amping = amplifying = giving certain audio equipment (e.g. headphones/speakers) enough power to perform optimally. The HD555 ($90~110) and the AD700 ($90) don't need an amp. 

P.S. If you're a recreational gamer, you might enjoy the bump in the bass registers since some people think it offers a more engaging sound when gaming.

Quote:
Hey there, I have currently decided to buy a new headset, for gaming and lets plays etc. My price range is around $50-$150

I have my eyes on one at the moment for the price of $69, but am unsure with the durability. The 'Plantronics GameCom 777 Headset'. Apparently it is great for a lot of things. But, I have heard a lot of complaints on its durability, but I have a medium to small head, so I wouldn't be too worried. This headset is currently one I am really aiming towards, as it's the only headset I have seen close to my house. I was previously looking at the Audio Technica M50 with a zalman clip on mic but found the M50 isn't sold anywhere in Australia, and only through online payment. Which I cannot be apart of. If it is sold somewhere in brisbane Qld, let me know.

If I were to explain the ideal headset I am looking for, it would be:
- It will be used for 70% gaming/recording and 30% music/movies.
-Doesn't need to be portable, as it will be at home constantly. But still might travel once in a blue moon.
-Preferably $50-$150, as stated above.
-To be honest, I have no idea what amped means. As I am fairly new to headphones etc. So any information would be appreciated. 
-Preferably closed. But haven't tried open, so am sort of unsure.

So yeah, what I really want to know is, are there any other better brands or better all round headsets/headphone+clip-on-mic combo out there around that price range? This is my first time here, so if this is incorrect or something is wrong. Please let me know.

By the way guys, I am currently in Brisbane, Australia. So if you know of any good shops for gaming/recording headphones, I would be grateful if you were to tell me where one is or the names of some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back