++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 29, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #5,041 of 29,490
Hello Head-fi community, I am an aspiring audiophile who has been creeping the head-fi forums for about a month now learning all sorts about headphones and the like. Currently I am having a hard time choosing my first pair of "good" cans. I am stuck between the Sony MDR-V6 with Pearstone Deluxe pads(Beyer pads are out of stock[bhphotovideo]) and the Shure SRH440. I like to listen to a wide variety of things and play some games, but what I would usually use these headphones for is classical. I am going to buy an amp(kinda cheap Asus Xonar DG). Since I live in Canada, my only major choice for retailers is bhphotovideo and I have a strict(using prepaid credit card[I'm 15]) budget of 130$(after shipping+taxes+duties) including the amp. Comfort and isolation is also nice. Please assist me through this dilenma.

Should I choose the SRH440 or the MDRV6 w/Pearstone deluxe pads, or another alternative(from BHPhotovideo).

Thanks.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #5,042 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking to spend about $250-$300 on new headphones and I would want them to fall under these categories.

1. Very analytical (as much as possible, especially since I listen to extremely dense and intricate classical works)
2. Leaning to the neutral side
3. Open headphone (isolation is not a problem, I'm practically the opposite of a basshead)

These three are listed in level of importance but basically I am looking for a very analytical phone that can easily and flawlessly reproduce microdetails without sounding very unnatural. I also don't mind buying used. Can you suggest any possible phones?

+2 for AKG K701

They sound like exactly what you need.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #5,043 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Head-fi community, I am an aspiring audiophile who has been creeping the head-fi forums for about a month now learning all sorts about headphones and the like. Currently I am having a hard time choosing my first pair of "good" cans. I am stuck between the Sony MDR-V6 with Pearstone Deluxe pads(Beyer pads are out of stock[bhphotovideo]) and the Shure SRH440. I like to listen to a wide variety of things and play some games, but what I would usually use these headphones for is classical. I am going to buy an amp(kinda cheap Asus Xonar DG). Since I live in Canada, my only major choice for retailers is bhphotovideo and I have a strict(using prepaid credit card[I'm 15]) budget of 130$(after shipping+taxes+duties) including the amp. Comfort and isolation is also nice. Please assist me through this dilenma.

Should I choose the SRH440 or the MDRV6 w/Pearstone deluxe pads, or another alternative(from BHPhotovideo).

Thanks.

Good price at Long & McQuade... $100 w/$10 off
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/8315/Pro_Audio_Recording/Headphones/Shure/SRH440_-_Closed-Back_Pro_Studio_Headphones.htm

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #5,044 of 29,490
Thanks, I never took that into consideration. I shall buy the SR60i and probably pick up another pair a few weeks later. Also, have you hahad any experience with the SONY MDR-6? I only say this cause I saw them online for $30 and was interested on a cheap investment. Thanks for the time.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #5,045 of 29,490
Alright.
I ordered a pair of M50s and they're on the way right now -- how long should I burn them in before their "real sound" comes out?
Or at least to where they sound mostly like they're supposed to.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #5,046 of 29,490
What would be an upgrade to the V-moda Crossfade LP, that has a similar sound, as good build quality, comfortable, accessories, replaceable cable etc, but an upgrade in sound. (clearer, etc)

Looked at Ultrasone, some say build quality is not as good

Priced at under 200 dollars

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #5,047 of 29,490
Jun 29, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #5,048 of 29,490
hey guys...I haven't been on here since my last purchase but you all were an immense help with that so now I'm back again 
tongue.gif

alright, so I am looking to replace my audio technica m50s. A buddy of mine got a pair of a700s and while I didn't so much care for the sound quality (too thin for my tastes), I did find them to be about the most comfortable pair of headphones my large head has ever worn...so now I'm wondering if there are any available in a similar style to those that would fit my criteria...so ideally these are the things I'm looking for...

1. Price: under $150 if possible but max $200 (still a fairly poor college student, hoping whatever the m50s sell for will cover about half of the purchase)...if you can recommend any that fit all of my criteria that cost more than $200 feel free to list them and maybe I could try to get some funds together...but yeah preferably relatively cheap 
biggrin.gif

2. Comfort is a MUST...even after months of use & trying to stretch them out, the m50s still feel too tight on my big head, this was especially noticeable after trying on the a700s & realizing how good they felt...if there are any models with similar structure to the a700s that would be fantastic
3. SQ: I'm really just wanting a full sound, I primarily listen to jazz & ambient music and really like to be able to pick out all the layers...the m50s were about perfect but maybe a little too bass heavy for me
4. Sound good un-amped...I primarily use with an iPod or laptop...I do have a turntable with an amp that I use at home but I really want these to travel around with me so a good sound un-amped is a must
5. Open/Closed...I used to think I needed a closed can but at this point I pretty much use them in privacy so I've decided it doesn't matter...open or closed if it fits the rest of my criteria feel free to list em
6. Also, occasionally I like to play my guitar/synth through my headphones...I guess I can do that with pretty much any pair but thought I would mention it just in case (my knowledge is rather limited, haha)

that's about all I can think of...I asked a friend of mine this same question and he told me to look into the lower end AKG models so I guess I may try that route, not sure how much I trust his opinion though 
biggrin.gif
...so once again I look to you, the gurus of all things headphone knowledge, for my solution....thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out!

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #5,049 of 29,490
Hey guys, this is my first time posting in the full sized headphones forum! I have always been mostly an IEM guy but I would like to get a pair of full sized headphones. I'm on a $200-350 budget and I'm looking for some headphones that are closed, somewhat portable (no unwieldly 3m+ cables), and have a balanced sound with maybe a slight emphasis in the bass department.
I am coming from IEMs such as the Monster TP Golds and the Earsonics SM3s, so I am looking something that will straight up top them in terms of sound quality. Comfort is big but not the most important thing. Also I currently do not own an amp but I could possibly get one in the near future. However I would like something that retain the sound signature when unamped.

As for music preferences, I listen to a lot of rock (Gn'R, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin), but I also listen to quite a bit of hip hop, rap, and drum & bass

I've looked around a bit and I'm deciding between the Denon D2000, M50, and the Ultrasone HFI780. Does anyone have any suggestion of how I can fully utilize my budget according to my needs?

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #5,052 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks, I never took that into consideration. I shall buy the SR60i and probably pick up another pair a few weeks later. Also, have you hahad any experience with the SONY MDR-6? I only say this cause I saw them online for $30 and was interested on a cheap investment. Thanks for the time.

I assume you mean the V6? They are an excellent headphone, although at $30 that's in the "too good to be true" range unless they're used.

Quote:
Alright.
I ordered a pair of M50s and they're on the way right now -- how long should I burn them in before their "real sound" comes out?
Or at least to where they sound mostly like they're supposed to.

Don't bother. Just wear them and enjoy them.

Quote:
What would be an upgrade to the V-moda Crossfade LP, that has a similar sound, as good build quality, comfortable, accessories, replaceable cable etc, but an upgrade in sound. (clearer, etc)

Looked at Ultrasone, some say build quality is not as good

Priced at under 200 dollars

Here's a good review comparing a few similar style cans...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536880/review-fashion-vs-function-phiaton-ms400-b-w-p5-monster-beats-solo-v-moda-crossfade-sony-xb700-hd25-1

Quote:
hey guys...I haven't been on here since my last purchase but you all were an immense help with that so now I'm back again 
tongue.gif

alright, so I am looking to replace my audio technica m50s. A buddy of mine got a pair of a700s and while I didn't so much care for the sound quality (too thin for my tastes), I did find them to be about the most comfortable pair of headphones my large head has ever worn...so now I'm wondering if there are any available in a similar style to those that would fit my criteria...so ideally these are the things I'm looking for...

1. Price: under $150 if possible but max $200 (still a fairly poor college student, hoping whatever the m50s sell for will cover about half of the purchase)...if you can recommend any that fit all of my criteria that cost more than $200 feel free to list them and maybe I could try to get some funds together...but yeah preferably relatively cheap 
biggrin.gif

2. Comfort is a MUST...even after months of use & trying to stretch them out, the m50s still feel too tight on my big head, this was especially noticeable after trying on the a700s & realizing how good they felt...if there are any models with similar structure to the a700s that would be fantastic
3. SQ: I'm really just wanting a full sound, I primarily listen to jazz & ambient music and really like to be able to pick out all the layers...the m50s were about perfect but maybe a little too bass heavy for me
4. Sound good un-amped...I primarily use with an iPod or laptop...I do have a turntable with an amp that I use at home but I really want these to travel around with me so a good sound un-amped is a must
5. Open/Closed...I used to think I needed a closed can but at this point I pretty much use them in privacy so I've decided it doesn't matter...open or closed if it fits the rest of my criteria feel free to list em
6. Also, occasionally I like to play my guitar/synth through my headphones...I guess I can do that with pretty much any pair but thought I would mention it just in case (my knowledge is rather limited, haha)

that's about all I can think of...I asked a friend of mine this same question and he told me to look into the lower end AKG models so I guess I may try that route, not sure how much I trust his opinion though 
biggrin.gif
...so once again I look to you, the gurus of all things headphone knowledge, for my solution....thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out!

I find the full sized AKGs quite comfortable, but they tend want some amping behind them to sound their best.

Some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried:
B&W P5
just about any Audio Technica
Phiaton PS500

Quote:
Hey guys, this is my first time posting in the full sized headphones forum! I have always been mostly an IEM guy but I would like to get a pair of full sized headphones. I'm on a $200-350 budget and I'm looking for some headphones that are closed, somewhat portable (no unwieldly 3m+ cables), and have a balanced sound with maybe a slight emphasis in the bass department.
I am coming from IEMs such as the Monster TP Golds and the Earsonics SM3s, so I am looking something that will straight up top them in terms of sound quality. Comfort is big but not the most important thing. Also I currently do not own an amp but I could possibly get one in the near future. However I would like something that retain the sound signature when unamped.

As for music preferences, I listen to a lot of rock (Gn'R, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin), but I also listen to quite a bit of hip hop, rap, and drum & bass

I've looked around a bit and I'm deciding between the Denon D2000, M50, and the Ultrasone HFI780. Does anyone have any suggestion of how I can fully utilize my budget according to my needs?

The Denons are not portable at all. Too big, too loose, and a terrible tangly cord.

One of my favourites right now that will fit your criteria is the Pioneer HDJ-2000.

Quote:
denon d2000 or ultrasone pro 750???

someone please help. i will be using them for producing and normal listening. 

The Pro750 is far too U-shaped to be used for producing. Your mix levels will be messed up and inverted from what you actually want.

Quote:
Can anyone comment on the difference between the dt990/600 and the ultrasone pro 900? Is it worth the price difference?

I've got the Pro750 and even those are veering on too bassy for me. The 900 would just be heavier in this regard.

The DT990/600 is rather shrill up top to my ears, while the 750 is airier and not as harsh.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #5,054 of 29,490

Quote:
Exactly. The V6/7506 reproduces the sound accurately and neutrally, but analytical headphones can yield what some call a boring sound. Other headphones might emphasize certain frequencies, which is why no "best" headphone exists. 
Could you list some of the genres you enjoy? 

Sorry for the late reply,

Well like I said I listen to anything and everything to be honest. So I just want a pair of headphones that has a good soundstage and has good lows, mids and highs; I don't want something that emphasises bass or treble.

These would be solely for music listening, so maybe the MDR V6 is a good choice?

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back