++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 29, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #5,026 of 29,490

I really enjoyed the M50, but you shouldn't even consider it if your main genres include classical/instrumental since its soundstage isn't stellar. Call J&R and ask for the latest price on the HD558. The HD598 fetches $170 if you call J&R, so I'd imagine the HD558 is cheaper and fits your budget. The HD598 is a great all-rounder and is right at home with classical/orchestral/instrumental music, and its sibling, the HD558, has a similar sound signature.
P.S. The HD555 is still a solid choice. Just do the foam mod and you'll have an HD595 for the price of an HD555.

Quote:
I have been reading head-fi reviews and forums for quite some time now. I am planning on buying full sized headphone around the $100-150 mark.

Here's what I mostly listen to - www.last.fm/user/adityashevade
Apart from what is there - I also listen to classical (both western and Indian) a lot. Indian classical I listen to is mostly vocal with little or no instruments involved. In general - I don't listen to tap, hip-hop. I don't want boom boom bass. I would mostly be listening to classic rock, classical and instrumental.

My source would be mostly a clip+, unamped (though I am also considering getting an amp with the headphones if necessary). I also listen to music on my laptop and android phone (HD2). Mostly it's the clip+.

I have one problem - I have never used full size headphones before now. I have used quite a few IEMs. Almost always the cable near the headphone jack breaks. That is my major concern while buying the full sized phones - I want something that would last, preferably with a detachable cord.

After searching on the forum most people seem to be suggesting the Sennheiser HD-555 for classical. However - I am not sure how would these fair against the other music I listen to. Also - they do not have detachable cord. I also read the 84 portable headphones review and the ATH-M50 seems to be a popular choice around here but again - how is the build quality, is there any way to get them fixed if the cable breaks? The other options I am considering are the AKG 240S and Shure 440. Any comments about these? Both have detachable cable so I am slightly inclined towards one of the 2.

If the M50s can take some jerks and are built strong then I am almost sure of going for them but in case there are any other better phones for my needs - please suggest me a few.

Also, if you know, where can I get these in sunnyvale area? I would like to listen to them first, if possible, and not just order from Amazon.

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #5,028 of 29,490
Good afternoon head-fiers,

Can I get an informed opinion of the Sony mdr v6 headphones, I can pick them up on Amazon here in the UK for £50. What with the endless great reviews on Amazon I'm really tempted but thought I'd post here first.

Is it:

1) A good set of headphones?

2) Good value for money?

3) What are the alternative/Is there anything better for around £40 - £60?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #5,029 of 29,490
Are you looking for analytical or fun sound? I highly recommend the V6/7506 (they're the same headphone) for those who want to use them for their designed purpose - monitoring - but I don't recommend either for casual musical listening. Unless you love neutral sound, you should look elsewhere. To answer your questions more directly:
1. Yes. 
2. Yes. Isn't this question a bit redundant? Part of a 'good' headphone is good pricing. I could even call Beats Studio a good headphone if it carried a $100 pricetag.
3. The JVC HA-RX700 is a good alternative if you want more bass.

Quote:
Good afternoon head-fiers,

Can I get an informed opinion of the Sony mdr v6 headphones, I can pick them up on Amazon here in the UK for £50. What with the endless great reviews on Amazon I'm really tempted but thought I'd post here first.

Is it:

1) A good set of headphones?

2) Good value for money?

3) What are the alternative/Is there anything better for around £40 - £60?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #5,030 of 29,490
Thanks Nom de Plume,

I think I would rather a set that is good for music listening, but surely headphones for monitoring would reproduce the sound the most accurately? What does a pair of headphones designed for enjoyment add?

It would be great if you, or someone, could recommend a few headphones that are good for casual music listening in the £40 - £60 price range, if you think the MDR V6 isn't right for me.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I listen to all sorts of music, and I don't necessarily need something with more bass, I just want good accurate sound with a good soundstage (for the price range) that is good at lows, mids and highs. 
Quote:
Are you looking for analytical or fun sound? I highly recommend the V6/7506 (they're the same headphone) for those who want to use them for their designed purpose - monitoring - but I don't recommend either for casual musical listening. Unless you love neutral sound, you should look elsewhere. To answer your questions more directly:
1. Yes. 

2. Yes. Isn't this question a bit redundant? Part of a 'good' headphone is good pricing. I could even call Beats Studio a good headphone if it carried a $100 pricetag.

3. The JVC HA-RX700 is a good alternative if you want more bass.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #5,031 of 29,490

Quote:
I have been reading head-fi reviews and forums for quite some time now. I am planning on buying full sized headphone around the $100-150 mark.

Here's what I mostly listen to - www.last.fm/user/adityashevade
Apart from what is there - I also listen to classical (both western and Indian) a lot. Indian classical I listen to is mostly vocal with little or no instruments involved. In general - I don't listen to tap, hip-hop. I don't want boom boom bass. I would mostly be listening to classic rock, classical and instrumental.

My source would be mostly a clip+, unamped (though I am also considering getting an amp with the headphones if necessary). I also listen to music on my laptop and android phone (HD2). Mostly it's the clip+.

I have one problem - I have never used full size headphones before now. I have used quite a few IEMs. Almost always the cable near the headphone jack breaks. That is my major concern while buying the full sized phones - I want something that would last, preferably with a detachable cord.

After searching on the forum most people seem to be suggesting the Sennheiser HD-555 for classical. However - I am not sure how would these fair against the other music I listen to. Also - they do not have detachable cord. I also read the 84 portable headphones review and the ATH-M50 seems to be a popular choice around here but again - how is the build quality, is there any way to get them fixed if the cable breaks? The other options I am considering are the AKG 240S and Shure 440. Any comments about these? Both have detachable cable so I am slightly inclined towards one of the 2.

If the M50s can take some jerks and are built strong then I am almost sure of going for them but in case there are any other better phones for my needs - please suggest me a few.

Also, if you know, where can I get these in sunnyvale area? I would like to listen to them first, if possible, and not just order from Amazon.

Even before I got to your listed options, the Shure 440 was the first one that came to mind. Good balanced sound, somewhat portable, good build quality, detachable cable.

Quote:
Im looking into buying the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 as i have read that they are a step up from the AD700 bieng that they are good for "gaming" and positional audio with dolby headphone,
I currently use a pair of HD25-1 that i have used for 4 years and they have provided a great closed can experience with nice sounding bass.

I am wondering if the AD900 have a nice sounding bass if it sounds punchy or not. I know there is a difference between open cans and closed cans regarding bass.

Would it be better to look at another type of headphone for gaming that has a better bass response?

Any comments would be great

Coming from the HD25-1-ii, you will not find the bass on the AD900 satisfying. If you're looking for that king of bass impact in open cans, best I can think of would be the Beyer DT990, Ultrasone, and maybe a modded grado.

Quote:
Please recommend me closed (low or no sound leakage) cans that are neutral and have a good soundstage in price range of $300. Thank you.

B&W P5
Phiaton MS300
Sony V6
Audio Technica A900

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #5,032 of 29,490
Exactly. The V6/7506 reproduces the sound accurately and neutrally, but analytical headphones can yield what some call a boring sound. Other headphones might emphasize certain frequencies, which is why no "best" headphone exists. 
Could you list some of the genres you enjoy? 

Quote:
Thanks Nom de Plume,

I think I would rather a set that is good for music listening, but surely headphones for monitoring would reproduce the sound the most accurately? What does a pair of headphones designed for enjoyment add?

It would be great if you, or someone, could recommend a few headphones that are good for casual music listening in the £40 - £60 price range, if you think the MDR V6 isn't right for me.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I listen to all sorts of music, and I don't necessarily need something with more bass, I just want good accurate sound with a good soundstage (for the price range) that is good at lows, mids and highs. 

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #5,034 of 29,490
Im back to the search. I'm looking for a well balanced headphone (so I think). I listen to various types of music, electronic, acoustics, jazz blues etc. I was originally looking at Grado's, but then heard that they are quite bright.

Would grado's still be a decent choice?, or Alessandro's  If not, what other headphones would be a good to look into? Price range at roughly 100$
... I'm not a bass head, so yeah.

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #5,035 of 29,490
I've been doing some reading for a bit now, but mostly over in the Portable/IEM section. I wanted to move into some new territory so I headed over here to the full-size section. That said, I am still extremely new to all of this so bear with me.

I want to first mention that my budget is ~$250, but the less I spend, the better. I have the itch to buy something and headphones caught my fancy so I'm looking into the possibilities. I'm perfectly fine with using open headphones as they will be for at home use only (I've also read open cans generally have a better soundstage). A detachable cable would also be nice but not necessary. I don't really have room in my budget for an amp so it needs to be easy to drive as well. On a related note, I might be buying a JDS CMoy or PA2v2 since they are only $60 and portable, but I doubt they would be enough to power anything noteworthy.

I know there's no perfect headphone that fits all genres but maybe you all can help me narrow it down. I listen to a fair amount of classical, so good sound there is important. That aside, some of my favourite artists/bands err on the rock/alternative side and include: Jimmy Eat World, House of Heroes, The Classic Crime, Relient K, Say Anything, Andrew WK, The Dangerous Summer, The Dear Hunter, Enter the Haggis, Meg & Dia, New Found Glory, Rilo Kiley, Sigur Ros, SR-71... That doesn't really cover my entire spectrum, but I tend to avoid jazz, R&B, hip-hop, and rap, so that might narrow it down. I also listen to some J-Pop but that doesn't change much of anything.

My only point of reference are a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 PROs that I bought quite a few years back. I can't say I've put too many hours into them so even then I can't really count them. I've heard they are more on the analytical side, which I am fine with, but I am open to any sound signature. I don't need EXTREME BASS or anything like that, though, otherwise anything is fair game. I can't really say that I'm looking for sparkly highs and nice mids as I have no idea what those sound like, so any explanation or guidance in helping me find a good fit will be much appreciated.

The source will mainly be my computer that has an HT Omega Striker as the soundcard. I might use my Zune HD every now and then as well, but that might switch to a Clip+ or Cowon J3 simply for the SD slot.

I think that covers about everything. I appreciate any and all help in regards to this matter. Thanks for your time and recommendations.

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #5,036 of 29,490
Hello there, been doing some reading and I just ordered a Cowon J3, now I'm in the market for some headphones. Much of my reading has directed me towards the Grado SR125i's but many seem to say the SR60i are better. Anyone with knowledge on the matter want to help me out? Much of my music is Rock and Acoustic with a little splash of Techno and Electronic beats here and there. Most of the listening will be done in the J3 but I will be also using my PC, which has an external Creative X-Fi soundcard. Any recommendations?

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #5,037 of 29,490
Is it worth to buy the Sony MDR-XB500 for 60 $?? And have anyone tried them for games, movies or tv? I want to know.
normal_smile .gif

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #5,038 of 29,490

Quote:
Even before I got to your listed options, the Shure 440 was the first one that came to mind. Good balanced sound, somewhat portable, good build quality, detachable cable.

Yeah I am inclined towards them as well. They seem pretty nice, the reviews are solid and haven't seen people complaining about the build quality also. Seems like a good option. Would you recommend and amp with it? Starter, if at all required - but I am considering one if it helps. These would be my only option in my office (no large speaker system I mean).

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #5,039 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking to spend about $250-$300 on new headphones and I would want them to fall under these categories.

1. Very analytical (as much as possible, especially since I listen to extremely dense and intricate classical works)
2. Leaning to the neutral side
3. Open headphone (isolation is not a problem, I'm practically the opposite of a basshead)

These three are listed in level of importance but basically I am looking for a very analytical phone that can easily and flawlessly reproduce microdetails without sounding very unnatural. I also don't mind buying used. Can you suggest any possible phones?

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #5,040 of 29,490

Quote:
@Armaegis: The P5 has good soundstage? I've read that its soundstage isn't anything special.

*shrug* it's ok for a closed headphone... not great, but not bad.

Quote:
I've been doing some reading for a bit now, but mostly over in the Portable/IEM section. I wanted to move into some new territory so I headed over here to the full-size section. That said, I am still extremely new to all of this so bear with me.

I want to first mention that my budget is ~$250, but the less I spend, the better. I have the itch to buy something and headphones caught my fancy so I'm looking into the possibilities. I'm perfectly fine with using open headphones as they will be for at home use only (I've also read open cans generally have a better soundstage). A detachable cable would also be nice but not necessary. I don't really have room in my budget for an amp so it needs to be easy to drive as well. On a related note, I might be buying a JDS CMoy or PA2v2 since they are only $60 and portable, but I doubt they would be enough to power anything noteworthy.

I know there's no perfect headphone that fits all genres but maybe you all can help me narrow it down. I listen to a fair amount of classical, so good sound there is important. That aside, some of my favourite artists/bands err on the rock/alternative side and include: Jimmy Eat World, House of Heroes, The Classic Crime, Relient K, Say Anything, Andrew WK, The Dangerous Summer, The Dear Hunter, Enter the Haggis, Meg & Dia, New Found Glory, Rilo Kiley, Sigur Ros, SR-71... That doesn't really cover my entire spectrum, but I tend to avoid jazz, R&B, hip-hop, and rap, so that might narrow it down. I also listen to some J-Pop but that doesn't change much of anything.

My only point of reference are a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 PROs that I bought quite a few years back. I can't say I've put too many hours into them so even then I can't really count them. I've heard they are more on the analytical side, which I am fine with, but I am open to any sound signature. I don't need EXTREME BASS or anything like that, though, otherwise anything is fair game. I can't really say that I'm looking for sparkly highs and nice mids as I have no idea what those sound like, so any explanation or guidance in helping me find a good fit will be much appreciated.

The source will mainly be my computer that has an HT Omega Striker as the soundcard. I might use my Zune HD every now and then as well, but that might switch to a Clip+ or Cowon J3 simply for the SD slot.

I think that covers about everything. I appreciate any and all help in regards to this matter. Thanks for your time and recommendations.

Some options for you:
Sony V6/7506
Shure 440
Sennheiser 555/558/595/598
Phiaton MS300

I also generally like open AKGs for classical. Their full sized ones tend to need some amping behind them if you want to get decent volume. Their open portables are ok but on the bassier side.

Quote:
Hello there, been doing some reading and I just ordered a Cowon J3, now I'm in the market for some headphones. Much of my reading has directed me towards the Grado SR125i's but many seem to say the SR60i are better. Anyone with knowledge on the matter want to help me out? Much of my music is Rock and Acoustic with a little splash of Techno and Electronic beats here and there. Most of the listening will be done in the J3 but I will be also using my PC, which has an external Creative X-Fi soundcard. Any recommendations?

The SR60 is the better value. Heck, for the price of the 125 you could get two 60's the play with and try your hand at modding the second one.

Quote:
Is it worth to buy the Sony MDR-XB500 for 60 $?? And have anyone tried them for games, movies or tv? I want to know.
normal_smile .gif

You can find them for around $50 if you shop around. They're fine for movies and games.

Quote:
Yeah I am inclined towards them as well. They seem pretty nice, the reviews are solid and haven't seen people complaining about the build quality also. Seems like a good option. Would you recommend and amp with it? Starter, if at all required - but I am considering one if it helps. These would be my only option in my office (no large speaker system I mean).

You won't need an amp. The Shure 440 is a fairly sensitive headphone.

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking to spend about $250-$300 on new headphones and I would want them to fall under these categories.

1. Very analytical (as much as possible, especially since I listen to extremely dense and intricate classical works)
2. Leaning to the neutral side
3. Open headphone (isolation is not a problem, I'm practically the opposite of a basshead)

These three are listed in level of importance but basically I am looking for a very analytical phone that can easily and flawlessly reproduce microdetails without sounding very unnatural. I also don't mind buying used. Can you suggest any possible phones?

One of your best options would be an AKG K701, and power it from a home receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back