++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 28, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #5,011 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok got my choices narowed down for what headphones to get. Looking to spend less than $200. My source will be a Sound Blaser Xfi Card. 

These are listed in my rankings right now from first to last

Ultrasone HFI-680 - $144
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - $159
AKG K 272 HD - $199
Shure SRH840 - $133
beyerdynamic DT 660 - $179
Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO - $183

music wise I listen to a lot of 90's alt rock, some 80's stuff too. I also like Eric Clapton and Santana. Like some 70's bands like Boston and the Eagles as well. Don't listen to electronica much. Used to listen to metal but not super often anymore. Will be using them for gaming but music is my top priority.

I am not a bass head. I like it present but not overpowering. I like clarity over all. 

At those prices, I would pick the 840.

Quote:
would the ultrasone pro 900 or d5000 be a big improvement over my dt990/600?  as in worth the $125 price difference i'd have to pay?

It's all diminishing returns from here... no one can tell you if it's "worth it" or not. Both would be a slight bump up, the pro900 for a more similar sound, the D5000 for something a bit different. If the price difference is really giving you pause, then I recommend that you not spend the money now.

Quote:
So I've made a few posts in this topic recently, each with different headphones on my radar...

This time, I'm looking at the Grado SR325is. I was originally hesitant to get open cans again because my PC fans make a lot of noise but I'm getting newer, quieter ones, so open cans will likely be in consideration again. 95% of my music is guitar-centric rock, so that's why I'm looking at the Grado sound again (I have MS1 right now). My concern is brightness, it seems like a majority of the posts about the SR325 is about its brightness, but I'm really intrigued by its forward, rock specialty instead of Alessandro's comparative laid-backness. I'm afraid to buy a pair and not like them ... and I have no idea about a place where I can demo headphones (Hampton Roads, Virginia area). Unfortunately, the RS2i new is out of my budget, but I could look around for a used pair... Any suggestions?

Go for it. Live dangerously.

... or buy used. Live slightly less dangerously.

Quote:
Hey guys!

I'm looking for some headphones.

I listen to a lot of rock, drum and bass, electric, that sorta thing, but the headphones will primarily be used for FPS games (and this is what I want them to be good at).

My budget is currently around $150 or €100 or £90, but I'm Danish, so prices are far from the same as in the US.

My source will most likely be a Creative X-Fi Titanium. I'd chosen the HD555 (which are €105), but decided to just ask in here before making a huge purchase.

The HD555 or AD700 would be my first recommendations.

Quote:
Alright, and what if my budget was slightly extended to $200. Would that change your recommendation? Or would you say that buying the 840+amp would be sufficient?

Maybe a used D2000 if you can find it in that price.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #5,012 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi everyone, I have a 450$ budget to buy a headphone(full size) I will amp it with an ibasso d10 and my ipod with lod. I really need an all-arounder but I specially like progressive rock,classical(mainly piano music), and trance. My best option was the Ultrasone pro 900 but I am not a basshead at all(but I will like a MUCH better bass than my actual ATH-A700),and I am seeking something more vocal with good soundstage so I think tha maybe Sony SA5000 are a good option but I heard that they lack totally bass(IS THIS TRUE???) and also they lack of soundstage(This is the aspect that I love from my A700). Maybe Pro900 keez modded???????
Please someone help me!!!!

I would strongly consider a step down to the Pro750 unless you're looking for brain shaking bass. If you're liking the full sized audio technicas, you can also consider the higher up models like the w1000/5000.

Quote:
I am trying to find the discontinued Denon D1001. Does anyone have any idea of where I could find them new?

Thanks from Montreal, Canada.

I've got some Canadian retailers listed here...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548624/listing-canadian-companies-retailers

Also do a search for the Creative Aurvana Live which is basically a rebadged D1001.

Quote:
Another thing. If I listen to a lot of shoegaze, dream pop, and noise rock, what are some cans that would go well with those genres? Would the grados be good for that, or do I want something else? I'm not much on bass, so long as it's there I don't need/want a lot.

Grados should go well, but be aware that the cans are totally open and leak sound as well as do not block any out.

Quote:
So, hey, I actually made a post in this thread earlier, but the situation has changed a bit since then. I purchased DT880s (250 ohm version) to replace my ATH-AD700s, and when I tried them out, the general sound quality seemed the same. They definitely sounded different, but not better. If anything, I liked them less, but that could just have been me being less used to the sound. The worst part was that they were very uncomfortable. I think that this may be because the ATH-AD700s have spoiled me in comfort, as they are quite fantastic (I hadn't really realized this until trying the DT880s).

In any case, I sent the DT880s back, and am now considering what other headphones I could buy. I had the AKG K702/1 in mind, but I hear they're very uncomfortable, and, unfortunately, comfort is a pretty big deal for me. I noticed that I like the sound-type, and fit of the AD700s (at least, compared to the DT880s), so now I feel like the obvious upgrade would be to the AD900s. In fact, there are only two reasons (besides just wanting to be absolutely sure about a purchase before making it) I haven't bought them yet. One being that their impedance is basically the same as the AD700s, which sucks because it's hard for me and my friend to listen to music at the same time (my E7-E9 combo allows me to plug in two things at once), due to him using RE0s, which have a higher impedance. The other being that the little headpads on my AD700s became imbalanced after long periods of use, which makes the position of the cups over my ears change, which seems to make the left side louder. This is probably just due to mistreatment, as I was, admittedly, careless with them. A mistake I won't soon repeat.

So, yeah, do you guys think that the AD900s are a good idea? If not, what would be some other good choices in that price range? 

Comfort is a very difficult thing to judge since everyone's head is shaped differently. I thought the AKGs were ok for comfort, though nothing outstanding. The AD900 would be a safe bet, or if you push the budget you can also find the flagship AD2000 used for around $400.

Quote:
I'm interested in relatively low-profile, closed, supra- or circumaural headphones. I listen to a broad range classical music. I don't mind a little bulk so I'm open to many suggestions but keep in mind that I'll also be using it as a portable.

I was looking at the es7 and m50 but I've head that they are not ideal for classical.

Open to buying second hand.

Budget is $130 give or take.

The Senn PX200-ii fits your criteria quite well. It's small and transportable, decent isolation, neutral clean response that plays well across most genres. Pushing the budget a little, the Phiaton MS300 is also really nice; slightly bigger and a bit more bite to the sound.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #5,013 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, i was recommended a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s here, but have been having a hard time buying them for a reasonable price.
I live in Canada, and the cheapest i could find was around 200$

Can someone give me recommendations on where to buy them?
I've checked eBay, but they're all in the US. I'm worried about duties and taxes when crossing the border.

Here's a list of Canadian retailers. In general though, the M50s are very expensive up here. Long & McQuade has them for $190.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548624/listing-canadian-companies-retailers

For better bang for the buck (relatively) at that price, consider the Beyer DT770pro or Shure 840/440.

Quote:
Bit too far above budget and difficult to find second hand. Thanks anyway.

I've been looking at SRH840/440 and HD448. Can anyone vouch for these for classical?

For classical, go with the 440 or 448. The 840 is a bit bass heavy and will sound a bit for classical.

Quote:
Hey all,

I used to own a pair of Beats Solos (well, I still do I guess) and they snapped in half on me a couple weeks ago (they made it two years, so I guess I did better than a lot of people with them, but ugh). I bought a pair of Sennheiser 558s for using around my house as a sort-of replacement, but now I need something that I can travel with. I want a decent pair of closed back headphones, preferably over-the-ear, that I could wear for the majority of a 10.5 hour international flight without them killing my ears (something that the Solos failed spectacularly at). Portability would be great, but I'd prefer comfort and good sound quality over a smaller size (although I do have a pretty small head - I wear youth-size baseball caps - so I guess size could be an issue).

I have a cMoy and a PA2V2 amp for travelling with, so I can power something "small". I'd prefer something under $200, but I'm flexible on that I guess. I also listen to a wide variety of music, from classical to heavy metal, so something that works well with a wide variety of music is probably best for me.

I've read plenty of good reviews about the ATH M50s, and I've also been looking at DT770 Pros and ATH ES7s. I've also had people recommend a pair of AKGs... so I really need help narrowing it down, lol.

Aaanyway, thanks for any advice you guys can give me!

It'll break your budget, but the B&W P5 are one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, and they isolate very well which would be a bonus for long flights. Sound quality is good, though nothing stands out. Build quality and finish are excellent.

Quote:
I just bought a brand new AKG K141 mk. II. Preburn in, they sounded rather dull. I haven't done any burn in yet, but would an amp make a significant difference in sound? I'm looking for something portable at $100..

AKGs in general like to have a little extra grunt behind them to sound their best.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #5,014 of 29,490

Quote:
Im thinking to buy a new set of headphones. And im a noob in these things pretty much.

I will be using them mostly for gaming on ps3 (no EQ settings availible), movies, random tv watching and some music ( all kinda music) on my pc, and i have no amp also. 

I have spotted these in near by shops:

-Sennheiser HD 201, decent pair ?
 http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/wired-headphones-hd201-stereo?Open&path=private_headphones_hifi_wired-headphones

-Sony MDR-XB500, i would love these but not shure how they will perform as overall headphones for games, tv, movies and all that stuff.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hps-extra-bass-and-dj/mdr-xb500

-Sony MDR-XD200, better specs than 201.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/haa-home-entertainment-headphones/mdr-xd200

-Sony MDR-V150, are they comfortable?
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hps-extra-bass-and-dj/mdr-v150

All these are around 20-60 € = 20-60 bucks.
SO which one of these should i take??

For general use, most people would probably be happiest with the XB500. As long as you're not a competitive FPS gamer, it'll be fine.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #5,015 of 29,490
@Armaegis:
What amp (or amp/DAC) for $100 would suit them well?

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #5,016 of 29,490
If you're not a competitive gamer, you should opt for the XB500 or the JVC HA-RX700. If you have to go with the listed choices, you should choose between the HD201 and the XB500. If you enjoy extra bass, snag the latter; snag the former if you don't. 

Quote:
Im thinking to buy a new set of headphones. And im a noob in these things pretty much.

I will be using them mostly for gaming on ps3 (no EQ settings availible), movies, random tv watching and some music ( all kinda music) on my pc, and i have no amp also. 

I have spotted these in near by shops:

-Sennheiser HD 201, decent pair ?
 http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/wired-headphones-hd201-stereo?Open&path=private_headphones_hifi_wired-headphones

-Sony MDR-XB500, i would love these but not shure how they will perform as overall headphones for games, tv, movies and all that stuff.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hps-extra-bass-and-dj/mdr-xb500

-Sony MDR-XD200, better specs than 201.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/haa-home-entertainment-headphones/mdr-xd200

-Sony MDR-V150, are they comfortable?
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hps-extra-bass-and-dj/mdr-v150

All these are around 20-60 € = 20-60 bucks.
SO which one of these should i take??

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #5,017 of 29,490
Oh my, I just got a check in the mail for a security deposit refund that I completely forgot about from my college apartment complex. I may shoot for the stars and get a pair of the RS1i
eek.gif
 or not dip into my savings and get the SR325is ... 

And I'm really looking for tons of detail and a nice rockin' bass for kick drums in rock music :) RS1i > 325is ? 

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #5,018 of 29,490
I thank anyone in advance for helping me with this. I've had my cans for about a year now and I've decided I want something past the entry level stuff.

I've been looking around this site reading about all these different choices but I decided it would be best to let the experienced tell me what I want haha.

My budget is up to about 350, maybe 400 if I really push it.

Most of it's use will be dedicated for music. I listen to classical (constantly) and a lot of liquid rum and bass and other similar stuff. ex. ( http://www.youtube.com/user/Liquicity ) A little bit will be used for movies, but as I said before, mostly music. I want something that will fit those music tastes as perfect as possible. I have no preference towards an open or closed headset. My amp has a bass boost on it so a lack of bass isn't really an issue.

How comfortable a headset is doesn't really matter to me. I can get used to it. I am however looking for a headset that goes completely over the ear like my ad700's.

I'm sorry if I seem lazy... I have looked over countless threads on this site on various equipment but I had trouble finding someone with my music tastes. There also didn't seem to be a lot of comparisons of the ad700 to higher level cans.

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #5,019 of 29,490
Looks like I'll go with the SRH440. I'm wondering how comfortable they will be with the stock ear pads. Can't get the 840 replacements for less than $40 unless I wait for someone to sell them used with a 440.

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #5,020 of 29,490

Quote:
@Armaegis:
What amp (or amp/DAC) for $100 would suit them well?

A few options in that price range:
FiiO e7 or e11
HotAudio Thunderbolt
most Cmoys
PA2v2
Mini3 (DIY)

Quote:
Oh my, I just got a check in the mail for a security deposit refund that I completely forgot about from my college apartment complex. I may shoot for the stars and get a pair of the RS1i
eek.gif
 or not dip into my savings and get the SR325is ... 

And I'm really looking for tons of detail and a nice rockin' bass for kick drums in rock music :) RS1i > 325is ? 

Quote:
I thank anyone in advance for helping me with this. I've had my cans for about a year now and I've decided I want something past the entry level stuff.

I've been looking around this site reading about all these different choices but I decided it would be best to let the experienced tell me what I want haha.

My budget is up to about 350, maybe 400 if I really push it.

Most of it's use will be dedicated for music. I listen to classical (constantly) and a lot of liquid rum and bass and other similar stuff. ex. ( http://www.youtube.com/user/Liquicity ) A little bit will be used for movies, but as I said before, mostly music. I want something that will fit those music tastes as perfect as possible. I have no preference towards an open or closed headset. My amp has a bass boost on it so a lack of bass isn't really an issue.

How comfortable a headset is doesn't really matter to me. I can get used to it. I am however looking for a headset that goes completely over the ear like my ad700's.

I'm sorry if I seem lazy... I have looked over countless threads on this site on various equipment but I had trouble finding someone with my music tastes. There also didn't seem to be a lot of comparisons of the ad700 to higher level cans.

You can get a new Denon D2000, or maybe a used D5000 for that price. It'll play nice across the entire spectrum and give you that nice bass extension for the electronica. I also generally recommend looking into the jmoney leather earpads to improve comfort and sound quality.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #5,021 of 29,490
Hi!
I want to buy the monster beats by dr.dre studio. But here in norway they are insane expensive.
So I started looking elsewhere.
I found them at thefactorysource.com for 199$ and free shipping.
But then I wonder if they sell real or fake products?

Someone know if thefactorysource.com is safe to buy from?

Thanks!

-Lisa

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #5,022 of 29,490
Can't help you with your question, but have you looked at a HFI-580 or Phiaton MS400? Beats Studios are decent sounding but their bang for buck is pretty bad, and both those should have a similar sound.

Quote:
Hi!
I want to buy the monster beats by dr.dre studio. But here in norway they are insane expensive.
So I started looking elsewhere.
I found them at thefactorysource.com for 199$ and free shipping.
But then I wonder if they sell real or fake products?

Someone know if thefactorysource.com is safe to buy from?

Thanks!

-Lisa

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #5,023 of 29,490
I have been reading head-fi reviews and forums for quite some time now. I am planning on buying full sized headphone around the $100-150 mark.

Here's what I mostly listen to - www.last.fm/user/adityashevade
Apart from what is there - I also listen to classical (both western and Indian) a lot. Indian classical I listen to is mostly vocal with little or no instruments involved. In general - I don't listen to tap, hip-hop. I don't want boom boom bass. I would mostly be listening to classic rock, classical and instrumental.

My source would be mostly a clip+, unamped (though I am also considering getting an amp with the headphones if necessary). I also listen to music on my laptop and android phone (HD2). Mostly it's the clip+.

I have one problem - I have never used full size headphones before now. I have used quite a few IEMs. Almost always the cable near the headphone jack breaks. That is my major concern while buying the full sized phones - I want something that would last, preferably with a detachable cord.

After searching on the forum most people seem to be suggesting the Sennheiser HD-555 for classical. However - I am not sure how would these fair against the other music I listen to. Also - they do not have detachable cord. I also read the 84 portable headphones review and the ATH-M50 seems to be a popular choice around here but again - how is the build quality, is there any way to get them fixed if the cable breaks? The other options I am considering are the AKG 240S and Shure 440. Any comments about these? Both have detachable cable so I am slightly inclined towards one of the 2.

If the M50s can take some jerks and are built strong then I am almost sure of going for them but in case there are any other better phones for my needs - please suggest me a few.

Also, if you know, where can I get these in sunnyvale area? I would like to listen to them first, if possible, and not just order from Amazon.

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #5,024 of 29,490
Im looking into buying the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 as i have read that they are a step up from the AD700 bieng that they are good for "gaming" and positional audio with dolby headphone,
I currently use a pair of HD25-1 that i have used for 4 years and they have provided a great closed can experience with nice sounding bass.

I am wondering if the AD900 have a nice sounding bass if it sounds punchy or not. I know there is a difference between open cans and closed cans regarding bass.

Would it be better to look at another type of headphone for gaming that has a better bass response?

Any comments would be great

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #5,025 of 29,490

Quote:
For general use, most people would probably be happiest with the XB500. As long as you're not a competitive FPS gamer, it'll be fine.

Quote:
If you're not a competitive gamer, you should opt for the XB500 or the JVC HA-RX700. If you have to go with the listed choices, you should choose between the HD201 and the XB500. If you enjoy extra bass, snag the latter; snag the former if you don't. 

Maby i then chose the Sony mdr-xb500. And i play FPS games but its nothing serious. Have btw. anyone tried them for movies, games,  tv...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back