++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 28, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #4,996 of 29,490

Quote:
I haven't heard the former, but the RX700 is an amazing headphone for its pricepoint. It'll only get better after mods (I'll link a thread discussing the mods later).

the former is this I believe or this. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V700DJ-DJ-Style-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001W0DH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309268311&sr=1-1-catcorr

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB700-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24SW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309268311&sr=1-2-catcorr

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #4,997 of 29,490
Hello, i was recommended a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s here, but have been having a hard time buying them for a reasonable price.
I live in Canada, and the cheapest i could find was around 200$

Can someone give me recommendations on where to buy them?
I've checked eBay, but they're all in the US. I'm worried about duties and taxes when crossing the border.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #4,998 of 29,490

Hi.

I'm on the market for some Headphones.  Think I've decided myself for some Philips SHL8800/28
ir

Has anybody any feedback on these?

Uses for headphones:

1. Part 1: playing on my Casio WK-500 keyboard
  2. Part 2: half time gaming and half time listening music on my PC (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
    ir
    ).  Music genres that I listen: 70% Salsa, 20% Rock, 10% Classical and Jazz

My headphones brands are Philips, JVC and Pioneer.  Sennheiser is not very popular in my country but I have a couple of friends who have some models, but I don't really want to experiment on different brands since I'm buying online and shipping them to my country. I don't like over-ear headphones since I wear glasses all the time and they're not very comfortable to me.  I have some old Dell Bluetooth BH200 which have crappy sound but they just fits me nicely and I can wear them for hours long.

Sound and comfort is important, but design is a plus for me too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #4,999 of 29,490
Well, this changes things. I've heard the Sony XB700 (in fact, I demoed it again earlier today). Although the XB700 is more expensive, I preferred the JVC RX700 slightly b/c the XB700's bass was overwhelming. Just be aware that both headphones bump the bass register noticeably (unless you consider enormous bass the cat's meow, I suggest you opt for the RX700 and mod it). 

P.S. The XB700 will likely prove more comfortable than the RX700 (even after you mod the latter, though I wouldn't say a modded RX700 is uncomfortable by any means unless you have a large head).
Don't worry about build quality; both are sturdy.
Directions for modding the RX700: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/435809/jvc-ha-rx700-mods

Quote:
the former is this I believe or this. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V700DJ-DJ-Style-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001W0DH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309268311&sr=1-1-catcorr

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB700-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24SW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309268311&sr=1-2-catcorr

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #5,000 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, this changes things. I've heard the Sony XB700 (in fact, I demoed it again earlier today). Although the XB700 is more expensive, I preferred the JVC RX700 slightly b/c the XB700's bass was overwhelming. Just be aware that both headphones bump the bass register noticeably (unless you consider enormous bass the cat's meow, I suggest you opt for the RX700 and mod it). 

P.S. The XB700 will likely prove more comfortable than the RX700 (even after you mod the latter, though I wouldn't say a modded RX700 is uncomfortable by any means unless you have a large head).
Don't worry about build quality; both are sturdy.
Directions for modding the RX700: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/435809/jvc-ha-rx700-mods

I enjoy a thumping bass as long as it does not get muddy or cloudy. As a DIY guy, I can't wait to mod the RX-700, Just one last question, Despite some searching, I could not find a tutorial explaining how to shield cables in nylon like this guy did. http://i48.tinypic.com/oj4klk.jpg and secondly is there A way to make a detachable cable on the headphones themselves? I would Always loose a good pair of headphones to bad cables and I want to do everything I can to prolong the lifespan of these. :D

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #5,001 of 29,490

Quote:
I forgot that many find the bumps on the band uncomfortable. I never have, can't even feel them. I do have thick (but short and straight) hair though.

Yeah, that was exactly it. I'm not sure how I'd feel with them, but I have to assume that I'd dislike the headband, as my head is quite sensitive to that sort of thing. I listened to a couple Dinosaur Jr. albums to try out the DT880s, and I had to keep adjusting the headband all the way through them, because it would start to hurt if it was in one place for too long.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #5,002 of 29,490
Bit too far above budget and difficult to find second hand. Thanks anyway.
Quote:
I recommend the FA-003 if ur willing to go above budget by a bit. They are very neutral and have a wide soundstage for closed cans so they are good for classical music

I've been looking at SRH840/440 and HD448. Can anyone vouch for these for classical?

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #5,004 of 29,490
For those genres it really depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. If you want something exciting go for the Ultrasone (you could also look at the Sennheiser hd-25 or a Grado, but their soundstage is probably too small for you). For something more laid back or analytical, the 272 HD, srh840 or m50 will do it for you.

If you want midrange take the 770 off your list, it's supposed to have a big smiley face for a frequency response. To me both the m50 and hfi-680 have enough bass to overpower the midrange a bit, but they're not overwhelming.

Also if your sound card doesn't have an amp you should look into something like a Xonar DG, these headphones will all benefit from it.

Quote:
Ok got my choices narowed down for what headphones to get. Looking to spend less than $200. My source will be a Sound Blaser Xfi Card. 

These are listed in my rankings right now from first to last

Ultrasone HFI-680 - $144
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - $159
AKG K 272 HD - $199
Shure SRH840 - $133
beyerdynamic DT 660 - $179
Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO - $183

music wise I listen to a lot of 90's alt rock, some 80's stuff too. I also like Eric Clapton and Santana. Like some 70's bands like Boston and the Eagles as well. Don't listen to electronica much. Used to listen to metal but not super often anymore. Will be using them for gaming but music is my top priority.

I am not a bass head. I like it present but not overpowering. I like clarity over all. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #5,005 of 29,490
Hey all,

I used to own a pair of Beats Solos (well, I still do I guess) and they snapped in half on me a couple weeks ago (they made it two years, so I guess I did better than a lot of people with them, but ugh). I bought a pair of Sennheiser 558s for using around my house as a sort-of replacement, but now I need something that I can travel with. I want a decent pair of closed back headphones, preferably over-the-ear, that I could wear for the majority of a 10.5 hour international flight without them killing my ears (something that the Solos failed spectacularly at). Portability would be great, but I'd prefer comfort and good sound quality over a smaller size (although I do have a pretty small head - I wear youth-size baseball caps - so I guess size could be an issue).

I have a cMoy and a PA2V2 amp for travelling with, so I can power something "small". I'd prefer something under $200, but I'm flexible on that I guess. I also listen to a wide variety of music, from classical to heavy metal, so something that works well with a wide variety of music is probably best for me.

I've read plenty of good reviews about the ATH M50s, and I've also been looking at DT770 Pros and ATH ES7s. I've also had people recommend a pair of AKGs... so I really need help narrowing it down, lol.

Aaanyway, thanks for any advice you guys can give me!

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #5,006 of 29,490
Do you think a Xonar DG is a better sound card for driving ultrasones than my Creative Xfi XtremeMusic card?

Quote:
For those genres it really depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. If you want something exciting go for the Ultrasone (you could also look at the Sennheiser hd-25 or a Grado, but their soundstage is probably too small for you). For something more laid back or analytical, the 272 HD, srh840 or m50 will do it for you.

If you want midrange take the 770 off your list, it's supposed to have a big smiley face for a frequency response. To me both the m50 and hfi-680 have enough bass to overpower the midrange a bit, but they're not overwhelming.

Also if your sound card doesn't have an amp you should look into something like a Xonar DG, these headphones will all benefit from it.

Quote:

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #5,007 of 29,490
I just bought a brand new AKG K141 mk. II. Preburn in, they sounded rather dull. I haven't done any burn in yet, but would an amp make a significant difference in sound? I'm looking for something portable at $100..

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #5,009 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks Maverickronin, I didn't know this... are they exactly the same ones as the Denon's?

They're supposed to sound the same but the headband and at least the finish on the cups is different.  The drivers are the same and people who have heard both said they sounded the same, but I've never heard either myself.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #5,010 of 29,490
Im thinking to buy a new set of headphones. And im a noob in these things pretty much.

I will be using them mostly for gaming on ps3 (no EQ settings availible), movies, random tv watching and some music ( all kinda music) on my pc, and i have no amp also. 

I have spotted these in near by shops:

-Sennheiser HD 201, decent pair ?
 http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/wired-headphones-hd201-stereo?Open&path=private_headphones_hifi_wired-headphones

-Sony MDR-XB500, i would love these but not shure how they will perform as overall headphones for games, tv, movies and all that stuff.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hps-extra-bass-and-dj/mdr-xb500

-Sony MDR-XD200, better specs than 201.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/haa-home-entertainment-headphones/mdr-xd200

-Sony MDR-V150, are they comfortable?
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hps-extra-bass-and-dj/mdr-v150

All these are around 20-60 € = 20-60 bucks.
SO which one of these should i take??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back