++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 23, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #4,891 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have a buddy out in Cali who is interested in getting a good starter set up.  He wants to bypass the initial head-fier stage of M50's unamped and such since he doesn't want to waste his money by upgrading in 6 months.  I will probably be building the amp and DAC for him because that way it will be much cheaper but the headphones are something I cannot build... duh.

He's looking for something with good resolution and detail that doesn't lack good bass.  He's not a basshead but he likes some healthy bass and probably wouldn't enjoy a headphone that was light on bass.  I'm having trouble thinking of a good headphone under $200 that will do it.  He doesn't care open or closed but I'd prefer if he went open 
tongue_smile.gif

Does anyone have any ideas?  Please don't suggest something you haven't auditioned as thats the whole reason I'm coming to this thread!

I saw the suggestion for the DT990 Pro.  How sibilant are they compared to the DT990/2005 version (like I have)?  My pair had some harsh highs before I started using a tube amp, and I'm not sure if he's going to like the tube sound.  

Any other suggestions?

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #4,892 of 29,490
Alright, I just ordered the JVC HA-RX700 and the Zalman Clip-on mic from Amazon. Total was about $52 with 1-day shipping! Now I will be looking for a sound card. I'm really contemplating the ASUS Xonar DX. Will this sound card be a good match for my RX700s and CL Gigaworks T20s?

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #4,893 of 29,490
You should probably check out IEMs as they isolate better then pretty much all headphones.

Check out Shure or Head-Direct RE0

Hadn't thought of that route I'll look into it. Though my gut reaction is that they won't have the same kind of full range accuracy as a set of full headphones will, but maybe I'm wrong,

Any good noise isolating non iem's that you'd recommend researching?

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #4,894 of 29,490
I just put the Asus Essence STX sound card in my PC and from playing around with it, its pretty phenominal and sounds great on my Shure SRH840s. I went to test out some Audiotechnica's versus my Shure's at one of the only shops I could find them at (I live in Thailand... Import stuff is hard to find and gets expensive). Tried out the AT ATH-A500 but couldn't find any significant difference in sound. I tried out some lower end Sennheisers as well, the 418 or 4xx something which sounded possibly a bit better, but I was jacking into my mobile phone so not the best source I'd guess.

That being said, I'm no Audiophile, but I'm slowly trying to make my way into it. I'll keep my Shure set because they're great for traveling, but I'm looking for a definite upgrade when I'm sitting in front of my PC. I like to listen to some classical music, some house, rock, watch a lot of BluRay flicks and every once and a while I'll play some FPS or other games; a bit of everything. I live in a small quiet apartment. The only other sounds I'll hear using these are my aircon and PC fans running so noise cancellation isn't necessary.

Budget will be around $300 - $400.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #4,895 of 29,490
Is Cowon X7 + Sennheiser HD 25-1 II + metal/punk rock/rapcore a good combo ?
Or is there a better option for this player and these types of music ? Gonna use them outdoor and/or plug in Xonar D2. I also have a Tubeman MKII and want to plug them into it.
Thanks in advance 
atsmile.gif

PS Forgot to mention, that currently I use Phonak Audeo PFE 112 (rev.1). They are old and the wire is cracked in several places. Think they are gonna die soon :frowning2: But I loved how they sound with music styles I mentioned.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #4,896 of 29,490

Quote:

I've never heard the K240 MKII, but look at the specs: impedance of 55ohms and sensitivity of 91dB/mW. The E7 should be enough to drive that.
Something caught my curiosity: why are you considering only portable/semi-portable dac/amp combos? You've only listed full-sized headphones that don't even consider portability an afterthought. Does your desk have limited space or do you simply want to use your dac/amp for your DAP, laptop, and desktop? If the latter is your reason, you ought to consider the E7/E9 combo (E7 for your DAP/laptop; E9 for your desktop). 

I just liked the idea that i could take them with me by a friends house if i wanted to or go somewhere outside of the room and listen to them....but since im also by earphones that wont be necessary....i think i'l buy the maverick d1 you told me about...seems fairly solid....I'm thinking now I may shy away from the Q701 since it would cost a lot of money upfront to buy it and a good enough amp to do justice to it....but why is the 701 so hard to drive (it only has an impedance of 62ohms)?

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #4,897 of 29,490

Quote:
Heya,

Just to point out, the only thing that prevents a headphone from being portable is the inability to drive it well enough to enjoy/warrant the headphones. Beyond that it's personal preference on whether or not you're willing to carry them around.

AD700's can be as portable as you want.

My DT770 Pro's are portable. Huge.

Very best,

A fair point. Portable means different things for different people. For me, portability means being relatively secure while moving about, being fairly light weight, durable construction, and collapsible in some form to ease transport when not wearing them. Isolation is also a consideration for many since if you're moving about you're likely in some sort of noisy environment.

Quote:
So if I want more portability it's the M50 and less portability for the AD700. Anything else I should consider at this price range other than those 2 cans? Or are they the best for their price?

Shure 840/750
Senn PX100-ii or PX200-ii
Phiaton MS400
etc

Quote:
I'm trying to decide between Senn HD650 and Ultrasone Pro 900s... I listen to hard rock, metal, classic rock...anything with guitars. I enjoy bass. I was leaning towards the closed 900s but if the 650s are much better, I'd be fine with open cans

I haven't heard the Pro900, but I've owned/heard the 550/650/750 and they get progressively bassier, and the 900s are reportedly bass monsters. Personally, I find the bass of the 750 almost overwhelming at times. For general listening, I'd much prefer the HD650 (though personally I actually prefer the HD600 over the 650, but it's a marginal difference)

Quote:
Right so I went to a couple of big stores that sell electronics etc. I brought my Clip+ with a varied playlist and tried several phones, open and closed. On all of them except the higher end ones, the highs were kinda tinny. Could this be because they're out and constantly have music on and perhaps damaged or abused? Kinda frustrating if i can't get accurate sound. I'm still looking for a proper store to check more phones but no luck yet. I did like a Senn px200-ii though but again, tinny highs and also missing a little bit of bass.

It's tough to say since I don't know what your definition of "tinny" is. I've owned a PX200-ii and didn't consider it tinny at all. Maybe consider a Phiaton MS400. It has a rather pronounced dip in the high end which removes a lot of perceived sibilance.

Quote:
Hello! I just graduated a month ago..I need to update my sig! I have MS1s and I know 225s would be a solid choice, but for some reason, I am looking to broaden my horizons a little and try something new

Although the pricetag of 225s is really appealing..haha, damn head-fi, so many options!!

And I know the 325s are more similarly priced, but I think I'd enjoy 225s more (but they're still in 3rd place for me)

I would go with the 325 just to have something different. The 225s were not appreciably different from the MS1 to my ear.

Quote:
Hello, I am looking to buy a pair of very bass heavy headphones. I am very happy with my Grado SR325is's but they do not have the heavy bass I am looking for when listening to electronic music, and I knew this fully well when purchasing them. So I am looking to buy a new or used pair of headphones for anywhere up to $400. I would prefer that they be closed since my grado's are open and I would like some more noise cancelling, as well as being able to listen to music without bothering others. Also, I have a FiiO e7 amp, but I might end up upgrading that as well sometime in the near future, so any amp advice would also be appreciated. 

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated :D

One of my favourites for bass heavy electronica is the underrated M-Audio Q40. Moving higher up the scale, you've got the usual suspects like the Denon D2000/5000, Beyer DT770, and Ultrasone Pro900.

Quote:
Legend thanks.
I think In the long term I actually want both options, something similar to the Denon D2000s and a contrast. In different cans obviously :) The question I need to ask myself is which first. (My wallet and pay-cheque hate me right now)

Thank you for pointing out the Beyer DT990. I'm very weak on research in Beyer and hadn't picked out a model. I'm also very pleased to see you point out the AKG K701s and those we're on my list of possibles. So I'm not steering wrong here.

If I were to go for the similar option with the sennheiser, what would people suggest as a first purchase, the HD600 or HD650? A surprising number of people have said they ultimatly love their 600s more. Or am I reading wrong?

The difference between 600/650 were very slight to my ear, although I too found myself liking the 600 a little bit more. Considering the price difference as well, if I had to pick one now I would easily go with the 600. Even cheaper is if you can find a 580 and mod it ($20 worth of parts) into the 600.

Quote:
Hey Guys,
So I've just finished (still awaiting shipment) my portable rig, and I'm looking at getting some full size headphones to use to listen to it when I'm at home.

Firstly, the equipment.
Currently iPhone 4/Laptop/iPad > AlgoRhythm Solo (on iDevices) > RSA SR-71B > UM Miracle.

What I'm looking for is a good set of headphone to run off this equipment and also a little future proof for when I start investing in a desktop setup (portable came first as I'm on the road a lot presently).

Music style is mostly heavy metal, but I love all styles of music, so I'm looking for a mostly balanced signature, with a very slight bump in the low end. I am by no stretch a basshead and find that this kills most of my music, but I do like a richer low end than an analytical balanced signature.

My budget is around $1,000. I've noticed a lot of you guys have the Audez'e LCD-2 and speak very highly of them, but before I jump in with no knowledge, I thought I'd ask the experts.

So are you guys able to shed some light and recommend me a few different options for my setup with my sound signature in mind?

All help appreciated.

Cheers,
Aaron

You've already got one of the most powerful/highest end rigs for portable amplification... you might as well go balls to the wall and get one of the Hifiman orthos or LCD-2.

Quote:
Alright, I just ordered the JVC HA-RX700 and the Zalman Clip-on mic from Amazon. Total was about $52 with 1-day shipping! Now I will be looking for a sound card. I'm really contemplating the ASUS Xonar DX. Will this sound card be a good match for my RX700s and CL Gigaworks T20s?

It'll be just fine. Don't sweat it.

Quote:
I just put the Asus Essence STX sound card in my PC and from playing around with it, its pretty phenominal and sounds great on my Shure SRH840s. I went to test out some Audiotechnica's versus my Shure's at one of the only shops I could find them at (I live in Thailand... Import stuff is hard to find and gets expensive). Tried out the AT ATH-A500 but couldn't find any significant difference in sound. I tried out some lower end Sennheisers as well, the 418 or 4xx something which sounded possibly a bit better, but I was jacking into my mobile phone so not the best source I'd guess.

That being said, I'm no Audiophile, but I'm slowly trying to make my way into it. I'll keep my Shure set because they're great for traveling, but I'm looking for a definite upgrade when I'm sitting in front of my PC. I like to listen to some classical music, some house, rock, watch a lot of BluRay flicks and every once and a while I'll play some FPS or other games; a bit of everything. I live in a small quiet apartment. The only other sounds I'll hear using these are my aircon and PC fans running so noise cancellation isn't necessary.

Budget will be around $300 - $400.

Can you try out any Beyers? The DT770 and 990 should be available to audition at most music/guitar shops.

Quote:
Is Cowon X7 + Sennheiser HD 25-1 II + metal/punk rock/rapcore a good combo ?
Or is there a better option for this player and these types of music ? Gonna use them outdoor and/or plug in Xonar D2. I also have a Tubeman MKII and want to plug them into it.
Thanks in advance 
atsmile.gif

PS Forgot to mention, that currently I use Phonak Audeo PFE 112 (rev.1). They are old and the wire is cracked in several places. Think they are gonna die soon :frowning2: But I loved how they sound with music styles I mentioned.

It's a good player and good headphone. Buy and don't look back!

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #4,899 of 29,490

Quote:
A bit outside your budget (maybe you could find it used), but the B&W P5 was the first thing that came to mind. Easily one of the most comfortable and well isolating headphones I've ever worn, and it's an earpad type so if you really liked the PX100 then this should be right up your alley. The sound is neutral, without much emphasis on any particular part of the spectrum, though it did feel a tad rolled off on either end.  
Closer to budget, the Audio Technica ESW9a is also quite good.

Thanks, Armaegis. Looks like ESW9 can be a hit for me if I manage with the comfort of theirs.
What about ESW9 fakes? Are they often? Can anyone recommend a good seller?

Decisions, decisions...

I have another question to the community - on the bass side, are Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and Denon D2000 as boomy as Audio Technica ATH-M50? This is a deciding factor for me.

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #4,900 of 29,490
Just saw this thread after I had already started another one.  What's the best under $200 over-ear for classical/Jazz ensembles?  Detail, soundstage, especially good mids & highs, tight but not overpowered bass.  Comfy for long listening.  Also listen to rock, celtic, pop.  Used to have Grado SR-60is but extended wear made them itchy to me.  Soundwise I would have kept them.  If could only find some other kind of pads to put on them would buy them again for their price/performance.

Want soundstage and detail when listening to classical and jazz pieces.  Being able to hear jazz vocalists position relative to upright bass player & percussionist for example.  Crisp, clean sound, which again the Grados seemed to do minus the comfort factor.  As most know, they are even under $100 much less $200.

Comfort, comfort, comfort.  Also maybe form factor good for lying in bed listening to symphony or longer pieces.

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #4,901 of 29,490
I honestly don't know why people consider the ATH-M50 bass monsters. It has emphasized bass, but I wouldn't say it has boomy bass. The D2000 triumphs in bass quality and quantity.

Quote:
I have another question to the community - on the bass side, are Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and Denon D2000 as boomy as Audio Technica ATH-M50? This is a deciding factor for me.

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #4,902 of 29,490
HD598. /end
-Call J&R and you should receive an offer of $170-

Quote:
Just saw this thread after I had already started another one.  What's the best under $200 over-ear for classical/Jazz ensembles?  Detail, soundstage, especially good mids & highs, tight but not overpowered bass.  Comfy for long listening.  Also listen to rock, celtic, pop.  Used to have Grado SR-60is but extended wear made them itchy to me.  Soundwise I would have kept them.  If could only find some other kind of pads to put on them would buy them again for their price/performance.

Want soundstage and detail when listening to classical and jazz pieces.  Being able to hear jazz vocalists position relative to upright bass player & percussionist for example.  Crisp, clean sound, which again the Grados seemed to do minus the comfort factor.  As most know, they are even under $100 much less $200.

Comfort, comfort, comfort.  Also maybe form factor good for lying in bed listening to symphony or longer pieces.

If you like the looks, don't shy away: http://dealzon.com/deals/akg-q701-quincy-jones-signature-line-reference-headphones (note: this discount applies only to the black/green color schemes).
The K701's difficult to drive in that it's sensitive - and it has synergy issues with many amps. It's certainly not the most difficult headphone to drive, but it's not the easiest either.

Quote:
I just liked the idea that i could take them with me by a friends house if i wanted to or go somewhere outside of the room and listen to them....but since im also by earphones that wont be necessary....i think i'l buy the maverick d1 you told me about...seems fairly solid....I'm thinking now I may shy away from the Q701 since it would cost a lot of money upfront to buy it and a good enough amp to do justice to it....but why is the 701 so hard to drive (it only has an impedance of 62ohms)?

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #4,903 of 29,490
I am considering a future upgrade in the €1000 range. Its nowhere in the near future and would like to make an educated decision.

My current cans are the DT880/250 and the SR325is and i love both sound signatures. I have been eyeballing the T1 since it came out and had my mind set on them for an upgrade.
After returning to head-fi after a 5 month absence the LCD-2 and HE-500 poked my interest.
My music is mostly metal in basicly every shape and form, blues and classic rock/pop-rock.
However i would like to avoid an amp or dac upgrade for a while after waiting 4 months(!) for a GS-1 last year.
It seems that the T1 and LCD-2 are pretty good for metal, how about the HE-500? And how about driving them from the GS-1? I do not expect my LD MKIII pulling it off tbh.

And what do you guys think about the RS1i and maybe the GS1000i?

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #4,904 of 29,490

Quote:
I honestly don't know why people consider the ATH-M50 bass monsters. It has emphasized bass, but I wouldn't say it has boomy bass. The D2000 triumphs in bass quality and quantity.

For my taste M50 bass is quite fatiguing and reminds me of Koss Porta Pro which I eventually hated for being boomy. If D2000 has more bass quantity most likely it is not for me.

Jun 24, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #4,905 of 29,490
Because I'm getting some complaints lately about loud music in the house, I'm trying to find some decent heaphones to wear. It's for listening and (basic) mixing properties. Unfortunately my budget isn't that big, so I was thinking of something in between 70-80 euros. (around 100 dollars)  It's for dance/house and hiphop/rnb /production music mainly.

I got the ReLoop HR-3500 PRO recommended. I hear because it's a closed one though it gets tiring on the ears, plus I was told they're more for live recording than for home use listening and mixing. I can get these used (only couple of times) for 35 euros though.

Another one I got recommended is the AKG K 121 studio headphones, these go for around 70 euro.
Also I heard about the stanton pro dj 2000, only just from one person though who liked it. Seems like the frequency range of it, especially in the low, will effect the sound ?

Anyone want to share their thoughts on this matter? Perhapse there are way better option for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back