++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 17, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #4,771 of 29,490
I'm in need of a bit of help picking some headphones..

Type of headphone- Must be Over-ear
Price range- $20-$120
Music player- Iphone 4 or Droid 3
Type of music- 50% Rock/Hard rock/ Metal , 50% Pop, Hip-hop, R&B,Dance

I've heard that Grado's are the way to go for Rock and metal but I want over-ear headphones to keep the noise out and the music in. 

With some help I have narrowed my choices down to:

Shure 440
M-audio Q40

Please help me decide. I honestly like the looks of the Q40's better.

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #4,772 of 29,490

Quote:
So are the HD280s and V6s a step up from HD428s?

Also, how exactly do the XB500s (with an adjusted EQ to balance out the bass with treble) compare to these?

Hi man!
I rather get HD448 than any of these.
As someone said to me, Sony is all about boomy bass, not aiming on sound quality as much.

The only doubt I still have is between HD280pro, HD448 and Shure SRH550DJ.
They are all good choices, but researching I've found that HD448 is the "best Sennheiser under 100$", narrowing down to HD448 and SRH550DJ.

IMO, I would discard Sony's.

Quote:
I'm in need of a bit of help picking some headphones..

Type of headphone- Must be Over-ear
Price range- $20-$120
Music player- Iphone 4 or Droid 3
Type of music- 50% Rock/Hard rock/ Metal , 50% Pop, Hip-hop, R&B,Dance

I've heard that Grado's are the way to go for Rock and metal but I want over-ear headphones to keep the noise out and the music in. 

With some help I have narrowed my choices down to:

Shure 440
M-audio Q40

Please help me decide. I honestly like the looks of the Q40's better.

If I were you, I would definaley get Grado or Alessandro MS1 for your kind of music, forgetting about closed circumaural ones. No looking back, honestly.
PS: I hate supraaural as much as you do, but this case is an exception.
:)

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #4,773 of 29,490

Quote:
new pair of headphones (On-Ear or Over-Ear), and have a clear-acoustic sound and rich OR good amount of bass, <200$, any type of music (open-minded) but i listen most to rock,house,electro,acoustic music, instrumental, unamped headphones, just looking for the best quality of music for a regular student life. 

if anyone wants to read more info on my needs please check my thread: 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558838/best-quality-headphones-for-a-regular-student-life#post_7546631

Like others in your thread have suggested, the M50 and 840 are excellent headphones. I would also consider the Sennheiser HD25-1-ii.

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #4,774 of 29,490
I'm new to these forums, but a buddy of mine visits this site every day and referred me here. I am about to go to college and want some headphones. The max I want to spend is $150, but spending less is always great. I like headphones that are on-ear or over-ear as opposed to in ear.

Uses:
- Music. I don't need 100% perfect sound replication or anything. I don't compose music or do any studio work at all. I just want to listen to indie, techno, rock, and alternative music for entertainment.  I usually listen to music for 2-3 hours a day and appreciate good sound. I just want the music to sound "good" and real. My current headphones ($5 airplane headphones) sound extremely fake.
- Games. I own a PS3 and play computer games. I probably will only play 3-5 hours a week, but I still want to play games with these headphones.
- TV / Movies. I watch movies often and if possible, would like to feel immersed in the action.

I tried on a pair of Bose AE headphones in Target and was wowed by the quality. But a few quick searches online showed me that they aren't really that great.

I also learned about the difference between closed / open headphones. How much sound leakage would occur in open headphones? Would I disturb a room mate if I was using the headphones (at medium volume) in the same room?

Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #4,775 of 29,490
I've narrowed it down to the HD280s and the HD448s, but...
Which is the better choice for listening to all genres?

Also, how great are the SRH440s compared to these?

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #4,776 of 29,490
I'm just going to say it: Audio Technica ATH-M50. They may be "over-recommended", but they are so for good reason; the performance for the price is an excellent value, and they have good isolation - they won't disturb people around you.

That said, you should go with what sounds best to you personally and fits in your budget. Bose isn't the best value for what you get, but ultimately if it sounds better to you, then you shouldn't feel discouraged by what you read. As long as you try out a few recommended ones to compare/contrast how they sound. If this isn't possible, I don't think you will be disappointed by jumping for the M50s, seeing as you are coming from low end/"normal people" type headphones.

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #4,777 of 29,490

Quote:
I've narrowed it down to the HD280s and the HD448s, but...
Which is the better choice for listening to all genres?

Also, how great are the SRH440s compared to these?

In my opinion, having the "best Sennheiser under 100$" title, I would go for Senn's HD448. Some say Shure SRH440 lacks bass, others say its ok. You pretty much have to test it yourself to know.

Check this url: http://www.headphone.com/rightbetweenyourears/?p=514
Hope it helps :wink:

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #4,778 of 29,490
And of the M50s...
I may be willing to spend that much more if they truly are a step above everything else I listed.
Also...
How do these compare?
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-A900-Audiophile-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B0006VT1TY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308377238&sr=1-2

So far, I'm down to the HD448s, the HD280s, the ATH-M50s, and the A900s.
I'm not sure how much I'm really willing to spend in the long run, but I'd like a "tier list" of sorts to go by so I don't spend a lot for nothing.

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #4,779 of 29,490
And of the M50s...
I may be willing to spend that much more if they truly are a step above everything else I listed.
Also...
How do these compare?
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-A900-Audiophile-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B0006VT1TY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308377238&sr=1-2

I'm not sure how much I'm really willing to spend in the long run, but I'd like a "tier list" of sorts to go by so I don't spend a lot for nothing.

lol the m50s take a huge dump on all those headphones you listed, and they aren't more expensive, they can be found easily for around 100 dollars from an authorized dealer.

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #4,780 of 29,490

Quote:
And of the M50s...
Also...
How do these compare?

First you have to do is estipulate how much you can spend on it. If you want to spend 200$ or more, I cant help you, because my researches reaches 150$.
About that price tag (150$), I would go for ATH-M50 concerning its bass and quality. Not very keen of soundstaging, so, for me its important isolation to overpower and improve bass.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #4,781 of 29,490
Can someone gimme  an advise  which portable amps  suit with AKG K702 the most ?  

I have a hard time decided between  SR-71B    vs   IQube v1.  

Classic , Vocal  , Intrumentals was My music genre .
 i would like to hear a very - silenced background with the very stunned detail.
(Which can even tell me how the violinist move his finger for the vibrato.)

BTw ,  Im Flac maniac.  Since  Ipod touch lack of Flac supportable.  I decided to get COWON J3 instead .

But the problem is  the Signal Quality ,With Cowon, I cant attach Dock-to-Mini cable, 
Which mean i need to sacrifice lot of soundstage.   Anyway to disable EQ , or any signal butchers of COWON ?    

Or should i get back to The iPOd touch ? 

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #4,782 of 29,490
I'm looking to buy headphones for around $300 with use for mostly rap. My source right now is just a Xonar DX, but I can get an amp if needed later on. Right now I have AD700, which are great for games and movies, but I'm looking for something else to use with music, since they aren't very good for rap.I was looking at the Ultrasone PRO 750. Are those a good choice for rap? The headphones have to be available on Amazon, since I have a gift card for there.

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #4,783 of 29,490
I'm looking to buy headphones for around $300 with use for mostly rap. My source right now is just a Xonar DX, but I can get an amp if needed later on. Right now I have AD700, which are great for games and movies, but I'm looking for something else to use with music, since they aren't very good for rap.I was looking at the Ultrasone PRO 750. Are those a good choice for rap? The headphones have to be available on Amazon, since I have a gift card for there.

you may want to invest in an amp since it helps the bass response of a lot of headphones. check out the guide in my signature.

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #4,784 of 29,490
Hey guys!

I've been looking to get out of my shell about headphones for some time now. I'm looking to buy a nice pair of headphones because I'm sick of my $30 skullcandies. I'm currently using a laptop so I can only use an external sound card like the FiiO E7. I'm currently looking for headphones for 60% gaming and 40% music; I listen to electronic music and play stuff like HoN which doesn't need that much audio but I also know that I'll eventually go back to shooters like 1.6 or probably CoD MW3 when it comes out. I'm looking to keep the headphones for a while, probably even after I move to college so I'm guessing I would need headphones that don't leak too much sound since I don't want to bother the people living with me. My budget is $150, here are the choices that I'm thinking about but I have NO idea which one to buy (please tell me if you have a better choice:

1)Ultrasone PRO 550 ($153) - I've read some reviews and some people (quite a few actually) say that for them it's too heavy on the head and that's really important to me since comfort is probably on top of the list for me.

2)Audio Technica ATH-A700 ($114) - A lot of people say it's amazing but some reviews in Amazon say that they have problems with extraneous noise. It can be very annoying since I'm close to a TV and I don't really want the noise mixing up.

3)Audio-Technica ATH-M50s ($125) - There are a lot of mixed reviews on this one. Some people say it's the one to get, others say its the one NOT to get. It would be cool if someone could say its pros and cons
smile.gif
. (I've seen a site that gives $60 rebate that's why i list it as $125)

4)Sennheiser HD595 ($150) - These headsets seem to be the most average one of them all (as in good for gaming and music). But the problem is that I keep hearing that these seem to have under-average bass and break constantly and the customer support isn't as good as the Audio Technica's (which is godlike as I've heard).

I'm very picky about getting the best bang for my buck so I'd be eager to know which one you pros recommend me. Thanks!

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #4,785 of 29,490

[size=medium]
Hi there, just singed up for some advice.

My Nuforce ne-7m's recently broke, the casing of the right earbud came loose. I'm looking or a replacement and to go a a little step up.

I listen primarily from my Sansa Clip+, also from my PC once in a while and I am a big gamer (all genres) so something that works good with games (big soundstage?) would be a bonus. 
As far as music goes I've been listening to a bit of dubstep recently but in my regular playlist I have some drum and bass, some techno, some trance, some hip-hop, some pop, and some nice movie soundtracks.

What I'm looking for would either be an IEM or Ear pads. I'm also considering full-size so sorry for the cross-posting.
Sound isolation would be a great plus as I'd game at night and the gf sleeps in the same room.
I liked the sound of the ne-7m. It had the right amount of bass and was pretty clear. I am a perfectionist so I want as close to reference sound as possible. A little bit of extra oomph in the low end is fine but not necessary.
Budget: €50-100
I live in Rotterdam, haven't seen a shop with a wide range of brands or headphones to try.
Also I won't be buying an amp, am not interested in one at all. Later perhaps, right now no way.

A bit of a long post but I wanted to give as much info as possible so i could get the best advice possible.
Soo... any advice? Thanks in advance!
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back