++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 17, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #4,756 of 29,490
Turning to this thread once again!

So I just bought myself a nice portable rig. (See signature) I want some new closed cans or higher end IEMs for it. It  can and will power my HE 500 sometimes, but that's not the most practical for portability. 

List so far:
SRH 940
Westone 4
Shure 535

Size isn't really an issue as long as they can fold down. Budget is within the range of the mentioned options. Open to any other suggestions.

I listen to mainly EDM, but like a mostly flat sound. Mids and Bass are most important. (Mids over bass, but the bass HAS to be there too). 

try the hd25 mate

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #4,757 of 29,490

Quote:
try the hd25 mate

Quote:
That's awesome. 

Also...I didn't know they made the 25-13. Interesting to say the least, but I couldn't wear the 25-1 IIs comfortably at all. I wish I could try them again and see if I could find the right fit (if possible for me). The 25-13s seem very tough to track down though.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #4,758 of 29,490
Already owned 'em. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Turning to this thread once again!

So I just bought myself a nice portable rig. (See signature) I want some new closed cans or higher end IEMs for it. It  can and will power my HE 500 sometimes, but that's not the most practical for portability. 

List so far:
SRH 940
Westone 4
Shure 535

Size isn't really an issue as long as they can fold down. Budget is within the range of the mentioned options. Open to any other suggestions.

I listen to mainly EDM, but like a mostly flat sound. Mids and Bass are most important. (Mids over bass, but the bass HAS to be there too). 

try the hd25 mate

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #4,759 of 29,490
What is a good pair of headphones for metal  and <$250?

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #4,760 of 29,490
From quick google searches, it seems they are now discontinued but can still be found in Europe and... I think maybe Australia.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #4,762 of 29,490
Yeah. I'll look into it. I kinda want to try stretching the headband if I decide to try them again. I LOVED the sound...but man...there was something about them. I usually don't mind clamping force, but there's something about the 25s that made it uncomfortable for me.

Quote:
From quick google searches, it seems they are now discontinued but can still be found in Europe and... I think maybe Australia.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #4,763 of 29,490
Jun 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #4,764 of 29,490

Quote:
random suggestions:
Ultrasone Pro750
Senn HD25
Beyer T50p
Grado 225

I will definitely look into these thanks a lot!

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #4,765 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm looking for some closed (or semi-closed) over the ear headphones + home amp.

I read these forums and realized amp is an important thing. My dilemma is: should I buy better headphones and worse amp? How proportional should it be? I originally wanted to buy ULTRASONE PRO-900, but now I think I should buy an amp as well. Or will my sound card Asus Xonar Essence STX be enough?

Budget: $600
Usage: Home - pc with Asus Xonar Essence STX
Listening Content: Music: Drum and bass, psy-trance, ambient, little bit of rock and metal 

I'd be grateful for any advice I can get. Thanks in advance!

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #4,766 of 29,490
The Pro series doesn't need much to shine, but they do benefit a bit from extra power. 

The Pro 900 is excellent for EDM. You could get the Pro 900 ($350 on Amazon), and the E9 or E9i ($130 on Amazon) and you'd be set. 

You don't need an amp, but it's a nice thing to have to push them a little further.

Quote:
Hi,

I'm looking for some closed (or semi-closed) over the ear headphones + home amp.

I read these forums and realized amp is an important thing. My dilemma is: should I buy better headphones and worse amp? How proportional should it be? I originally wanted to buy ULTRASONE PRO-900, but now I think I should buy an amp as well. Or will my sound card Asus Xonar Essence STX be enough?

Listening Content: Music: Drum and bass, psy-trance, ambient, little bit of rock and metal 

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #4,767 of 29,490
new pair of headphones (On-Ear or Over-Ear), and have a clear-acoustic sound and rich OR good amount of bass, <200$, any type of music (open-minded) but i listen most to rock,house,electro,acoustic music, instrumental, unamped headphones, just looking for the best quality of music for a regular student life. 

if anyone wants to read more info on my needs please check my thread: 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558838/best-quality-headphones-for-a-regular-student-life#post_7546631

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #4,768 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

Quote:
The Pro series doesn't need much to shine, but they do benefit a bit from extra power. 

The Pro 900 is excellent for EDM. You could get the Pro 900 ($350 on Amazon), and the E9 or E9i ($130 on Amazon) and you'd be set. 

You don't need an amp, but it's a nice thing to have to push them a little further.

The STX uses the same TI amp chip as the E9.  I don't have either so I'm not sure how that translates into performance though.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #4,769 of 29,490
So are the HD280s and V6s a step up from HD428s?

Also, how exactly do the XB500s (with an adjusted EQ to balance out the bass with treble) compare to these?

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #4,770 of 29,490
There is no circumaural or even supraural that isolates better than the hard clamping HD280. However, I find the HD280 to be one of the most uncomfortabe headphones I have ever tried. I'd say it is a step up from the HD428, but I personally like the V6 more just cause it is significantly more comfortable. The V6 is very neutral and many people find the treble to be very harsh. As for the XB500, you are already very aware that it is bass heavy. The treble and mids were definitely not as good as the V6, so you'd be better getting a more neutral headphone like the V6 than trying to equalize the XB500.

You may want to take a look at the m50s or even the big brother of your headphone, the HD448. The 448s can be found used here for $50. If you can splurge a little bit more, get the HD25-1 because it seems to be what you are looking for and has the second best isolation of anything I have ever heard.

Quote:
I'm willing to spend up to about $150 on headphones.
I'm looking for a closed pair that sounds relatively clear, isolates noise, has an alright soundstage, and performs well (and equally) in all ranges.
I need something that sounds great with just about any genre of music, as my preferences are all over the place.
Powerful bass would be nice, but that's not my main concern -- I just want something that keeps noise in while still bringing out all the little details in the song.

Right now, I'm using HD428s (Amazon for $48-ish) to listen to everything (device is an MP3 Player, nothing fancy).
I enjoy them, but I know there's better out there, and it's driving me crazy.
What would be a step up (in every aspect) from these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back