++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #4,726 of 29,490

Quote:
Why is there any debate on this? We all know headphones sound better with a good amp and dac. So everyone should obviously buy one. If you cannot afford them buy the headphones you want and grab the amp/dac in a future purchase. But to say that you can ink by without one, you're seriously missing out.

I understand what you are saying, I know that sound will be improved with an amp. But as you say, I can't afford all. What I want to know is if the M50's will be still be decent without one, and if there are any worth buying open cans which can also do without amping.
Later I will buy an amp, I just don't know when. And my portable player has a 37x2 mW amp which I think is better than many.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #4,727 of 29,490
I understand what you are saying, I know that sound will be improved with an amp. But as you say, I can't afford all. What I want to know is if the M50's will be still be decent without one, and if there are any worth buying open cans which can also do without amping.
Later I will buy an amp, I just don't know when. And my portable player has a 37x2 mW amp which I think is better than many.

the m50s do very well without an amp, but they do much better with one. You're really missing out man.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #4,728 of 29,490
I just wanna go ahead and say that I'm new here and don't know very much about the technical aspects of headphones, so here goes nothing.

I'm willing to spend up to about $150 on headphones.
I'm looking for a closed pair that sounds relatively clear, isolates noise, has an alright soundstage, and performs well (and equally) in all ranges.
I need something that sounds great with just about any genre of music, as my preferences are all over the place.
Powerful bass would be nice, but that's not my main concern -- I just want something that keeps noise in while still bringing out all the little details in the song.

Right now, I'm using HD428s (Amazon for $48-ish) to listen to everything (device is an MP3 Player, nothing fancy).
I enjoy them, but I know there's better out there, and it's driving me crazy.
What would be a step up (in every aspect) from these?

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #4,729 of 29,490

Quote:
Why is there any debate on this? We all know headphones sound better with a good amp and dac. So everyone should obviously buy one. If you cannot afford them buy the headphones you want and grab the amp/dac in a future purchase. But to say that you can ink by without one, you're seriously missing out.

If you have sensitive ears and know your music very well and know what to listen for, then yes an amp/dac makes a difference. For the majority of people though, the difference will be marginal compared to the differences they would hear with different headphones. As long as the headphones aren't too high impedance and have moderate sensitivity, just about any portable player (with a low output impedance) will be sufficient to drive them.

Quote:
Armaegis (or anyone else :) ): Yes I thought that also but coudln't find anything within the price range. If an amp is unnecessary though, that might allow for more expensive open cans that still dont need amping right?
I have been reading on the senn's hd558 but found much contradiction on reviews, and many say that they require amping.

They'll be just fine, seriously.

Quote:
Would like to have some more opinions plz :).

If you liked the AD700, no reason to back away. They aren't that expensive either.

Quote:

It's fine. I didn't notice any substantial difference via amping. I head more of a difference with amping using my Shure 840 and M-Audio Q40, but those weren't significant either.

Quote:
I just wanna go ahead and say that I'm new here and don't know very much about the technical aspects of headphones, so here goes nothing.

I'm looking for a closed pair that sounds relatively clear, isolates noise, has an alright soundstage, and performs well (and equally) in all ranges.
I need something that sounds great with just about any genre of music, as my preferences are all over the place.
Powerful bass would be nice, but that's not my main concern -- I just want something that keeps noise in while still bringing out all the little details in the song.

Right now, I'm using HD428s (Amazon for $48-ish) to listen to everything (device is an MP3 Player, nothing fancy).

Sony V6/7506 and Senn HD280 come to mind. The Sony is a bit more treble tipped and has a livelier feel. The Senn is a bit duller sounding in my opinion, but its isolation is superb.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #4,730 of 29,490
How great are the AD900s compared to those?

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #4,732 of 29,490
'I`m having a hard time making up my mind. I'm 99% sure on the M50's but maybe I need a little push for the senn's
confused_face.gif
damn I don't know what to do
I'd like the M50's + senn hd558 + fiio E7 but it would dry me out for a long time
frown.gif

Any input on how do the senn's do unamped?

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #4,733 of 29,490

Quote:
If you have sensitive ears and know your music very well and know what to listen for, then yes an amp/dac makes a difference. For the majority of people though, the difference will be marginal compared to the differences they would hear with different headphones. As long as the headphones aren't too high impedance and have moderate sensitivity, just about any portable player (with a low output impedance) will be sufficient to drive them.

They'll be just fine, seriously.

If you liked the AD700, no reason to back away. They aren't that expensive either.

It's fine. I didn't notice any substantial difference via amping. I head more of a difference with amping using my Shure 840 and M-Audio Q40, but those weren't significant either.

Sony V6/7506 and Senn HD280 come to mind. The Sony is a bit more treble tipped and has a livelier feel. The Senn is a bit duller sounding in my opinion, but its isolation is superb.

if it makes such an indistinguishable difference let me ask you this, do you use a headphone amp? How can you speak for the "vast majority of people" if you yourself use one?

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #4,734 of 29,490

Quote:

the 428 is a very comfortable headphone but it has a terrible seal an will isolate very little. they are however great headphones for the money and you will enjoy them a great deal

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #4,735 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi again Jhelsas - gets confusing doesn't it.

First - especially on this website - take all the advice with a grain of caution (everything is an opinion).  Second - when getting advice, don't be afraid to look at the advisors profile.  Have a look at what cans they've got in their inventory etc.  Keep in ming their join date and post count.  Then you slowly get to know what advice is good and what is 'questionable'.

On the subject of amps/dacs - this is good advice:

The question of whether or not you need an amp, depends on the cans you are driving, and the source you are using.  The A700 and the SRH440 (even the M50 or SRH840 for that matter) can be driven well from your average portable player.  They don't need an amp.  A lot of cans can benefit from an amp if you want to take advantage of one, and you have spare funds.  It's an important distinction.  I use an entry point amp for my 840's because there is a benefit for me (increased fidelity).  But they do not need it, and sound pretty good out of my iPod unamped anyway.

The question of whether you need a DAC is entirely dependent on your source.  If you primarily use a laptop, some people find the use of an external USB DAC/AMP helps by giving a cleaner signal.  If you listen from your PC, and are using onboard sound, a DAC can also help - but again it may not be necessary.  My advice for now would be to get your cans first - then once you get them, if you want to take an extra step, do some more research on a suitable DAC or DAC/amp combo.  You may be perfectly happy without one - so take little steps.

On the question of the A700's.  I own the open equivalent AD700.  They are really comfortable - but can be loose at times.  One thing you can do easily is use a rubber band to loop the two 'wings' together.  It provides some additional clamping if you worry about slippage.  They are very comfortable though.  For your genres (not looking for big bass), either they or the 440's will be a good choice to start with.

Get the cans first, get used to them, and then if you want to step up from there, come back and ask for more advice.  I hope this helps.  Posters like Mav, Armaegis, CleOS, Joker, EU, Estreeter etc have helped me immensely.  Again, just be careful with what you read - and whose advice you take.

This is an informative and helpful post, thanks a lot!

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #4,736 of 29,490

Quote:
'I`m having a hard time making up my mind. I'm 99% sure on the M50's but maybe I need a little push for the senn's
confused_face.gif
damn I don't know what to do
I'd like the M50's + senn hd558 + fiio E7 but it would dry me out for a long time
frown.gif

Any input on how do the senn's do unamped?

Hey man, I had a quite similar confusion about those headphones. IMO I would probably get M50 unamped.
If you go for FiiO E7, the HD518 would be a good choice for $ (since 558 is quite expensive).

Dont know though, just my personal opinion!

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #4,737 of 29,490
Alright, I think I may have an idea of what I'm doing, I apologize for the wave of posts I've made. Possibly between the HD595, 598, and 600. I'm thinking the HD598 would be great for PC use, especially if I save money for an amp and continue to look into that. The price difference between the three is quite steep though, probably not enough to justify purchasing the HD600.

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #4,739 of 29,490
I currently own HD 595s and have been using them as my regular headphones to use plugged into a laptop/desktop at work. I recently had the opportunity to audition HD 598s and Ultrasone HFI 780s. I have a $250 budget, since work is literally paying for headphones and we each get to choose what we want.

I am not limited to the 598s or the HFI 780s, but I won't have a chance to audition other headphones, which didn't stop me from getting the 595s. The 780s seemed to have some more detail/clarity in the mids & trebles, but lacked the clear, precise, and lower bass extension of the 598s. Perhaps it was one of the songs I heard, but the 780s seemed on the bright side, but only for a single song. However, I might be mistaking detail for what really is brightness. One other nice benefit is the 780s block out more sound than the HDs and I definitely won't have to worry about disturbing someone else with my music (although I listen and relatively moderate to low levels).

I listen to a large range of music from hip-hop to electronic to rock. Any recommendations on which you would choose or if you'd choose something else altogether with that budget would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back