++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #4,697 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone know if the Shure SRH 840 is as bassy as the Beats?
Infact, anyone know any nice headphones with more bass?

they aren't even close. I'm actually writing a review of a lot of different basshead headphones as we speak keep your eyes open over the next day or two!

Sorry for the ignorance, but, how diferent can be the bass of different headphones? Also, does it makes such a difference to a good music?

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #4,700 of 29,490
hey there
I'm practically a newbie to sound (I've always used phillips and maxell combined with my iphone lol)
right now I'm using a Phillips SHL8800 and they're pretty nice but I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade
I don't want to dive right into being an audiophile so I wanna take it easy on the wallet (for the time being), I'd like to spend no more than 40-50$ for now
most of my peeps endorse skullcandy and I've tried the hesh and skullcrusher models, hesh being the better but not by far (it's a wonder the skullcrushers didn't get my ears to bleed with all that bass, it's like they combined an aircannon with headphones)
can anyone recommend a few closed headphones please? earbuds make my ears hurt so they're out of the question, and I don't like open ones too much to be honest

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #4,701 of 29,490

Quote:
hey there
I'm practically a newbie to sound (I've always used phillips and maxell combined with my iphone lol)
right now I'm using a Phillips SHL8800 and they're pretty nice but I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade
I don't want to dive right into being an audiophile so I wanna take it easy on the wallet (for the time being), I'd like to spend no more than 40-50$ for now
most of my peeps endorse skullcandy and I've tried the hesh and skullcrusher models, hesh being the better but not by far (it's a wonder the skullcrushers didn't get my ears to bleed with all that bass, it's like they combined an aircannon with headphones)
can anyone recommend a few closed headphones please? earbuds make my ears hurt so they're out of the question, and I don't like open ones too much to be honest

superlux hd668b
koss portapro

they are semi open but bang for your buck. they shouldn't leak to much.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #4,703 of 29,490

Quote:
What have you attemped in terms of fixing the DT770? It could be dirt or an improperly seated driver, or worst case possibly a tear in the membrane.

Some suggestions for headphones: (none of these particularly need an amp and will be fine from a soundcard. You can always plug into a receiver for more power for home use)
Denon D2000
Shure 750
M-Audio Q40
Ultrasone whatever model fits the budget

Thanks for taking the time to give me some recommendations! On several occasions I've taken apart the left ear (I don't remember to what extent, other than as far as I could go). I'd used those pet sticky pats to try to remove hair, scanned it meituclously with tweezers, and looked for anything for several hours combined. I have no idea what it could be :-/

The D2000 and Q40's look pretty good, I like their design. Do you think they would be comparable to my DT 770's? I'd like everything to sound as good or "better" (I'm probably oversimplifying it) than what I've got. Would the upper end headphones (such as Sennheiser HD600 or AKG 702's) need an amp?

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #4,704 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm looking for some closed over the ear headphones

Budget:  $50-$60
Usage:  Home; via iPod, MacBook, integrated sound card on PC.  Portability and style are non factors for the most part.  Something that doesn't require an amp.
Listening Content:  Music;  electronica, deep, IDM, ambient, experimental. (Radiohead, Boards of Canada, Autechre, Aphex Twin, Four Tet, etc.)

So far in my research some of the ones I'm considering are;

ATH-M30's, 40's
Samson SR850's
Sennheiser 555

Any recommendations are highly appreciated.  I'm open to anything, not just the ones mentioned above!  

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #4,705 of 29,490
Thanks for taking the time to give me some recommendations! On several occasions I've taken apart the left ear (I don't remember to what extent, other than as far as I could go). I'd used those pet sticky pats to try to remove hair, scanned it meituclously with tweezers, and looked for anything for several hours combined. I have no idea what it could be :-/

The D2000 and Q40's look pretty good, I like their design. Do you think they would be comparable to my DT 770's? I'd like everything to sound as good or "better" (I'm probably oversimplifying it) than what I've got. Would the upper end headphones (such as Sennheiser HD600 or AKG 702's) need an amp?

Any and all headphones benefit from a good dac and an amp. stop spending more and more money on headphones desperately searching for better sound and make the 150 dollar investment that will last you a lifetime!

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #4,706 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

Any and all headphones benefit from a good dac and an amp. stop spending more and more money on headphones desperately searching for better sound and make the 150 dollar investment that will last you a lifetime!

I just don't know any decent amps, plus I've seen conflicting opinions. Plenty of people say you do/don't need an amp, I've even read where you can't hear a difference between amped/unamped, but that's probably very dependent on the source of sound, amp, and headphones. I wish buying a decent pair of headphones was easy!

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #4,707 of 29,490
I just don't know any decent amps, plus I've seen conflicting opinions. Plenty of people say you do/don't need an amp, I've even read where you can't hear a difference between amped/unamped, but that's probably very dependent on the source of sound, amp, and headphones. I wish buying a decent pair of headphones was easy!

You sort of need an amp and you DEFINITELY need a good dac. People told me I didn't need to amp my m50s, boy they were wrong.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #4,709 of 29,490
Quote:

For the most part, expensive DACs and amps are oversold.  There's way more difference between a $100 and 1K pair of 'phones than there is between a $100 and 1K DAC or amp.  Get a decent DAC if your current sources aren't very good and get an amp strong enough to power whatever 'phones you get.  Then don't worry about them until you either get a harder to drive 'phone or a flagship level phone and can't upgrade it any further.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #4,710 of 29,490
DACs, spend $50 to $100 on, the rest is snake oil.  Amps on the other hand very greatly.  For the most part though, a decent second hand speaker amp will probably do the trick for a few dollars at a thrift market or craigslist.  All that being said though, the headphones are still, by far, the most important part.

Quote:
Quote:

For the most part, expensive DACs and amps are oversold.  There's way more difference between a $100 and 1K pair of 'phones than there is between a $100 and 1K DAC or amp.  Get a decent DAC if your current sources aren't very good and get an amp strong enough to power whatever 'phones you get.  Then don't worry about them until you either get a harder to drive 'phone or a flagship level phone and can't upgrade it any further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back