++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 15, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #4,681 of 29,490
Hi guys

I currently own a hd555 in combination with an audigy 2 zs (I rock) which I use for watching movies, listening to music (rock, trance, pop,... a bit of everything) and gaming.

I like them a lot, they are cheap and for me the quality is good enough. But... they are getting a bit old (lot's of cracks etc etc) so I need a new headphone. I had an ad-700 a few years ago, I really loved it, but at that time my head was too small for them :). Now i'd like to try them again but first I'd like your opinions.

I live in Belgium, Europe and my max budget is about €150.

Thanks 

the 448 is not a bad choice

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #4,683 of 29,490
Here in the first page of this topic, there is a link for a 8 headphones shoot out, and between them was a Beats Studio, and was praised for a good sound despite the active noise canceling. Try checking it out.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #4,684 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of headphones (preferably closed) that sound great and look stylish.
I know the Beats By Dre don't sound that great but seriously.. they look amazing.

Budget is up to $350.

That's why they cost that much, because they look good.  Your probably not going to find one that looks better. IMO they aren't that bad , if you factor in the extra 100-200 for looking cool.  I own the Beats by dre solo's and i love them for hip hop/dnb.  With that being said, i would never JUST own beats by dre.  They are secondary for me. If i need some cash for something they are gonna be one of the first to go, so they better sit there and look pretty. 

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #4,686 of 29,490
Well i do have the Beats By Dre Studios already..
Personally i think they sound pretty good, but if there really is a decent looking 'phone that sounds better, i'd consider it.

The Bass honestly isn't punchy enough for me.
Do you think buying a Fiio E3/E5 would help the bass?

What i'm looking for is a bass-head headphone that looks stylish.
Preferably comfortable as well.
That's really it.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #4,687 of 29,490

Quote:
Personally i think they sound pretty good, but if there really is a decent looking 'phone that sounds better, i'd consider it.

That's really it.

Usually bass centric headphones with comfort to boot go along the Sony XB series (XB500/700/1000). And given your budget, the XB1000 could be right up your alley. Perhaps.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #4,689 of 29,490

Quote:

That's really it.

Well style from person to person is different so it seems more subjective than sound.

I personally think your at a crossroads where you would have to give up style for sound.

Also, as a fellow basshead to another, i would keep IEM's in view.  

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #4,690 of 29,490

Quote:
Guys, im looking to upgrade from my HD555's. I listen to a bit of everything. I have €120 to spend. 
What i want? more detail, bass punch. And portability. 

It's closed, but the Phiaton MS300 is a nice little number. It comes with its own hardshell case (about the size of a cd wallet), and the sound is clean and punchy.

Quote:
Hi guys, yesterday I bought a DT880 600Ohm, he is on his way now, but there is a problem: I dont have an AMP/DAC;

I wanna buy both together, I have 250$ to spend on it. I was looking for the FiiO E9 + E7 combo, but Im afraid they are to "bright" for the DT880, so I looked at the Audinst HUD-mx1, which is a darker model, but I have to import him from Korea, and with the taxes of Brazil, it will cost more than the FiiO combo, which will not get any taxes and the safety is guaranteed.

Which model you guys recommend for me?

Honestly, different amps are not going to make a world of difference if you're hoping to make something go from bright to dark. Spend that money on another set of headphones.

Quote:
Sorry but I already made a thread, if anyone is interested in helping me out, would be greatly appreciated. Preferably someone with knowledge of HD 650 and/or Nuforce products.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558420/please-help-a-fellow-music-enthusiast-enter-the-world-of-head-fi#post_7539410

Since you've already done better than most newcomers and actually auditioned a few headphones, just stick with the ones that left the best impression on you. Don't let all the talk on the forums sway you one way or another. 

Quote:
Thanks for the input... I did take a good long look at the 840s but my issue with them was that they had only a slightly larger soundstage than the m50, which doesn't really work so well for gaming.

Any other headphones that might fit this criteria?

It's always going to be a tradeoff with closed headphones and soundstage. Other random suggestions: Senn HD380, Audio Technica A700/A900, Beyer DT150 if you can find it.

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #4,691 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking to buy nice portable headphones that are unamped for under 100.

I am trying to decide between the AKG K518 LE or the Shure SRH440.

Any help greatly appreciated! 

Thanks

440 for more neutral and comfortable listening, 518 for more bass and isolation.

Quote:
I need headphones for general listening (alternative rock and indie, pop/rock, folk, some classical stuff and a bit of jazz) and monitoring (mostly acoustic and electric guitar, piano and vocals).

My budget is 200 dollars, tops.

I've read that ATH-M50 or SRH-840's are safe bets but I'd rather make sure asking here. I'm also open to any other suggestions.

EDIT: I don't have an amp, although if necessary I've been recommended to get a cmoy amp.

I prefer the 840 over the M50. Better all around sound and comfort to my ears.

Quote:
Ok, from de following, which would you recomend, SennheiserHD?

Sennheiser HD448, Shure 440, Shure 840, Audio-Technica M50 or Audio-Technica A700

It would be my "more than US$ 20 headphone", and I have a very broad spectrum for music and that they should be comfortable

The 440/840/M50 are all portable (sorta). M50 has strong bass and highs, bit of a recessed mid. 840 is more bassy than the M50 but without the recessed mids so the impact isn't as great, but it does also have better isolation. The 440 is the most neutral and bass light of the bunch.

The 448 is also neutral sounding, but I would pick the 440 over it. Senn is much better with their open than closed headphones. The A700 is the least bassy of all the headphones mentioned, but also has the best soundstage and is arguably the most comfortable.

Quote:
Well, I finally found this thread. Perhaps consider stickying it.

In any case, I would like some recommendations for my first informed purchase of cans. I listen to mainly jazz, classical and weeaboo music (I see J-pop for what it inexorably is). A little bit of (gasp) metal - not too much though - I have a strange tendency to fall asleep to Dragonforce more than to something like Chopin. Probably because of the repetition. So, something preferably with a large genre bandwidth, doing exceptionally well in vocals and mids, for portable use - T50RPs are out, though I may attempt to find the TH-7Bs.

I have had some budget stuff like:
AKG K512 (build quality was pretty much suspect)
AT ATH-FC700 (VERY uncomfortable. Too heavy on bass.)
Sennheiser HD218 (no isolation, very veiled. Bass was decent and tight though, when I could hear it, which was not very often, in hindsight.)

Looking to upgrade to something like the SRH440 with new pads, but retail price in Singapore is pretty damned high for it - nearing the price of a M50 stock - which I really disliked despite my best efforts to cosy up with it. The bass was too unrestrained, the mids too recessed, and a metallic, artificial treble - after burn-in.

I can also get Kossi (I really don't know the plural for Koss) - probably for that warranty, if it is honoured down here. Looking at the PRODJ100 for the looks and the apparent emphasis on mids and vocals. May be tempted to read up on SFI orthos just to mod them into the shell. They probably go for slightly more than the FA-004 round here.

Fischer's go for a decent price here - I can get a FA-004 and a PA2V2/E11 for about the price of the SRH440's with the SRH840 pad upgrades. I am not sure how well the Fischer scales up to budget portable amps - LFF claims they scale very well, but I am unable to get hold of it in the retail channels here - they only sell the IEM's and the OldSkool 70.

Thanks in advance!

Can you give us a better sense of what headphone brands are available to you? It's tough to make blind recommendations if we don't know what's available and/or at what cost.

The 440 near the price of an M50 isn't too bad all things considered.

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #4,692 of 29,490

Quote:
I don't know much at all about headphones. I currently have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's. It's good, but the left ear has always had problems with crackling and bass at medium-high volumes I've never been able to fix (maybe because it's not amped?), and now the cord is coming loose. I've tried everything I could to fix the speaker in it, but nothing has worked. I listen to mostly electronic music, and I have a budget of about $150-$300, up to $400 possibly. I'm going to guess I need an amp as well? is this even feasible with my budget? This will be strictly for PC use, here's the soundcard I'd be using them with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102027

I appreciate any help I can get, I'm pretty overwhelmed by the wealth of information there is regarding headphones and amps.

After looking around a bit I was thinking of checking out the FiiO E9 and maybe the Sennheiser HD600's. Do I need the E7 for the E9? As someone who knows nothing about amps, I don't know what to look for at all. I'm assuming I would want to put most of my money toward the headphones, but I don't know. Is this a decent pair right here?

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #4,693 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm in need of a bit of help picking some headphones..

Type of headphone- Must be Over-ear
Price range- $20-$120
Music player- Iphone 4 or Droid 3
Type of music- 50% Rock/Hard rock/ Metal , 50% Pop, Hip-hop, R&B,Dance

I've heard that Grado's are the way to go for Rock and metal but I want over-ear headphones to keep the noise out and the music in.

Some options (in order of my preference for your genres)
Sony V6/7506
Shure 440/550
Senn PX200-ii
AKG K518

Quote:
I don't know much at all about headphones. I currently have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's. It's good, but the left ear has always had problems with crackling and bass at medium-high volumes I've never been able to fix, and now the cord is coming loose. I've tried everything I could to fix the speaker in it, but nothing has worked. I listen to mostly electronic music, and I have a budget of about $150-$300, up to $400 possibly. I'm going to guess I need an amp as well? is this even feasible with my budget? This will be strictly for PC use, here's the soundcard I'd be using them with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102027

I appreciate any help I can get, I'm pretty overwhelmed by the wealth of information there is regarding headphones and amps.

What have you attemped in terms of fixing the DT770? It could be dirt or an improperly seated driver, or worst case possibly a tear in the membrane.

Some suggestions for headphones: (none of these particularly need an amp and will be fine from a soundcard. You can always plug into a receiver for more power for home use)
Denon D2000
Shure 750
M-Audio Q40
Ultrasone whatever model fits the budget

Quote:
Hello,

looking for a phone more fun than any Denon AH-D.

random suggestions since we don't have anything else to work with:
Phiaton MS400
Sennheiser HD25-1-ii
Beyer DT1350
Sony XB1000

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #4,694 of 29,490

Quote:
The 440/840/M50 are all portable (sorta). M50 has strong bass and highs, bit of a recessed mid. 840 is more bassy than the M50 but without the recessed mids so the impact isn't as great, but it does also have better isolation. The 440 is the most neutral and bass light of the bunch.

The 448 is also neutral sounding, but I would pick the 440 over it. Senn is much better with their open than closed headphones. The A700 is the least bassy of all the headphones mentioned, but also has the best soundstage and is arguably the most comfortable.

Thank you Armaegis,

Just to finish the subject. I don't have problem with portability, since it's going to be natively @ home. So out all, the ones most suitable for me would be the SHR-440 and the ATH-A700. The comfort is important, but i have not read a single review agaist the 440 comfort, so no problem. The one problem that i can remember is that some said the A700 is so big that it can be a bit too loose on the head, and so not providing a good sound insulation. Could you confirm that?
   For now, i'm going either for the shure's 440 or the A700, just thinking about which.

Also thanks a lot SennheiserHD, 200poundsofamp, brooko, casey25raptor and everybody that is helping me here!

OFF:
Just for you to have an idea, i bought my HD201 for ~ 13€. Right here in Brasil, they are beeing sold between US$ 80 - 180
I have still not found a single store here in Rio de Janeiro that sell a shure's 440 for me to try, nor any audio-technicas.
That's why i'm needing so much the help of you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back