++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 14, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #4,667 of 29,490
Quote:
jhelsas said:

Ok, from de following, which would you recomend, SennheiserHD?

Sennheiser HD448, Shure 440, Shure 840, Audio-Technica M50 or Audio-Technica A700

It would be my "more than US$ 20 headphone", and I have a very broad spectrum for music and that they should be comfortable

Quote:
Tbh they are all excellent cans he is gonna rave about his and I'm gonna rave about mine, the way I see it you got 2 options. Find a local store and try them out, or just go with the cheapest/best looking/most comfortable whatever is most important to you.

@jhelsas - good advice to try both the M50 and the SRH840 and choose which one you like best.  200poundsofamp's description was a good one.  I found the M50 to be V shaped - more emphasis on lows and highs at a cost to mids (slightly recessed).  The SRH840 is fairly neutral - and a little more laid back.  When I was making my decision I went with the SRH840 and have never regretted it.  You should also try the 840 (if you get a chance) to check on comfort.  I find them very comfortable.  Some have found them heavy and have issues with the headband.

SennheiserHD is right though - both are pretty good entry cans.  It depends very much on the sound signature you prefer - as both are quite different.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #4,668 of 29,490

Quote:
omg i love your signature.

is there any way you could try out any of these headphones? if so i think you should go down to one of those shops and demo a few pairs.

I already demoed the M50s, the 440s without the pad upgrade, and lots of stuff above my price range for fun. Oh, and the Grados SR80i and SR225i.

I found the M50s underwhelming. Didn't like it. The 440's were slightly dry, but I loved the sound sig out of an Hippo portable amplifier. Grados were too bright for me, but I loved the mids and treble. Couldn't hear the bass though, and I am not a basshead.
I guess Ultrasones are not for me, too, given the amount of bass.
Tried Denon D2ks. VERY bassy and muddy.

What I would like to know is: are the 440s able to cope with general listening. Do they open up and get more musical after burn-in? They are monitors, and they are slightly on the dry side, but do they do well across genres? I only had time to test out rock music on the 440s. I mean, hell, I found the HD800's cool and dry, but I loved how it sounded.

Looking for soundstage depth, and mids for vocals. Tight, controlled bass. I enjoy treble both ways, smooth and sparkling.

Thanks!

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #4,669 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Would you say that a Fiio E7 amp would be a good pairing?

If you aren't looking for the DAC as well (ie more portable DAP > LOD+AMP > SRH840) - then the Fiio E11 is a very nice pairing (good value too) with the SRH840.  I haven't heard it with the M50.  Neither M50 or SRH840 need amping.  The SRH840 do benefit from it though IMO.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #4,670 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
i think the shure srh840 would do substantially well with those genres. i own them and they are amazing with genres like metal. but keep in mind if you have badly recorded music you will hear it.

Tbh they are all excellent cans he is gonna rave about his and I'm gonna rave about mine, the way I see it you got 2 options. Find a local store and try them out, or just go with the cheapest/best looking/most comfortable whatever is most important to you.

Ok, got the idea. My problem is to find a local store. In the local store you will find logictech, leadership, and in the best case, some philips or sony.
By order of  importance, it would be something like this:

Jazz, classical, classical rock > pop, country > metal

Ah, almos forgot, I also hear latin music(cuban, brazilian, etc) a lot, also some other international music, japanese, french, etc. That's the reason i would prefer the most balanced/neutral headphone possible.

Now to more specific questions. Comfort is very important to me, since i work in the computer and use them for music. I heard that the m50 is a bit tight but it's possible to make it comfortable, the 448 and the 840 i read to be very comfortable. The A700 also, but i also read that it could be cumbersome in "smaller heads" 0.o?, well, i don't have a particularly big head, in headroom it didn't looked like it would be a problem, but i don't want to buy in the dark. Also I don't know how diferent are the two shures. In the reviews some say they are almost the same unless you plug it into an amp.

About the the recording of my music. Have almost all music extracted from normal CDs, put on flac or on mp3 @ 320 Kbps. One or another music someone has passed me is in mp3 @ 128 Kbps. Right now i'm pluging my headphone directly on my computer using onboard audio i have from my motherboad, which is a Via HD audio. I don't now if this is should be enough in terms of recording and playback quality, but i'm open to possibilities of a future(cristmas?) purchase of a dedicated audio card and/or amp, if it makes a real diference.

My original budget was US$ 100, but i was giving an error margin to have the possibility to find something better. As I said earlier, till the begining of this year, i never had a decent headphone. Last year a friend showed me the Sennheiser CX500 and i was completely amazed. In march, i bought the sennheiser HD 201 i'm using right now, and i'm loving it, but I know now that it's worth to invest in a good headphone.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #4,671 of 29,490
I don't know much at all about headphones. I currently have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's. It's good, but the left ear has always had problems with crackling and bass at medium-high volumes I've never been able to fix (maybe because it's not amped?), and now the cord is coming loose. I've tried everything I could to fix the speaker in it, but nothing has worked. I listen to mostly electronic music, and I have a budget of about $150-$300, up to $400 possibly. I'm going to guess I need an amp as well? is this even feasible with my budget? This will be strictly for PC use, here's the soundcard I'd be using them with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102027

I appreciate any help I can get, I'm pretty overwhelmed by the wealth of information there is regarding headphones and amps.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #4,672 of 29,490
    TheUbiquitous

Hello everyone, I'm new here and just getting started in this great experience.
I have a question I would like you to help me with. I need a pair of headphones that provide good isolation (not active) for around 300$.
Of course, what I want is the best sound I can get in this range. My budget is narrow now and I need something to get started, I hope that in the future I'll be able to get to the next level.
Thanks ¿?

BotByte

All full sized headphones isolate, even the boat shot with shotgun barrage named Grado isolate (you can see through them)
I'm not sure if you mean noise canceling or isolation
Canceling is sending out a reverse frequency of the outside
Isolation is just covering up your ear

Isolation comes in two major types.:
Open: Less isolation, but better sound quality and more detail.
Closed: More isolation, but lacking sound quality and more bass.

What's really popular for starters are ATH-M50's (about $150)
But be warned, they are Bass heavy. So if you listen to Jazz/Rock/Classical they won't be for you

Also good are Senn HD-598 (I just ordered, $179.99 for call up JR)
Be warned, they are open but are good for Jazz/Rock/Classical

I wouldn't push up to the $300 range just yet, but I like your enthusiasm!

TheUbiquitous

I don't want sound canceling phones. What I own now is a pair of bang & olufsen form 2's which are open back, and a lot of ambient noise comes through. I use them a lot on public spaces so I'd like something with better isolation than these.
I'd like a good compromise between isolation and soundstage, and I'm not a bass head but I like it to be there. I listen to a wide variety of music, including classical and rock.
These are the ones I have been looking into:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Monitor Headphones
AKG K701 Studio Headphones
Fischer Audio FA-003
AKG K 702 Headphones
Shure SRH840
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones

I'll read on those you said. Why do you think I shoud spend less?

TheUbiquitous

Ok I'm liking the ATH M50S.
A few questions biggrin.gif
Is the bass correctible with an equalizer?
How good is the soundstaging?
Do they need an amp?

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post

But be warned, they are Bass heavy. So if you listen to Jazz/Rock/Classical they won't be for you

Only some models are. I ordered from Amazon and got the balanced model. Also, there are several mods to lower bass and raise the mids. Combine the two and you almost get mid-heavy 'phones.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #4,675 of 29,490
    TheUbiquitous

Hello everyone, I'm new here and just getting started in this great experience.
I have a question I would like you to help me with. I need a pair of headphones that provide good isolation (not active) for around 300$.
Of course, what I want is the best sound I can get in this range. My budget is narrow now and I need something to get started, I hope that in the future I'll be able to get to the next level.
Thanks ¿?

BotByte

All full sized headphones isolate, even the boat shot with shotgun barrage named Grado isolate (you can see through them)
I'm not sure if you mean noise canceling or isolation
Canceling is sending out a reverse frequency of the outside
Isolation is just covering up your ear

Isolation comes in two major types.:
Open: Less isolation, but better sound quality and more detail.
Closed: More isolation, but lacking sound quality and more bass.

What's really popular for starters are ATH-M50's (about $150)

Also good are Senn HD-598 (I just ordered, $179.99 for call up JR)
Be warned, they are open but are good for Jazz/Rock/Classical

I wouldn't push up to the $300 range just yet, but I like your enthusiasm!

TheUbiquitous

I don't want sound canceling phones. What I own now is a pair of bang & olufsen form 2's which are open back, and a lot of ambient noise comes through. I use them a lot on public spaces so I'd like something with better isolation than these.
I'd like a good compromise between isolation and soundstage, and I'm not a bass head but I like it to be there. I listen to a wide variety of music, including classical and rock.
These are the ones I have been looking into:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Monitor Headphones
AKG K701 Studio Headphones
Fischer Audio FA-003
AKG K 702 Headphones
Shure SRH840
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones

I'll read on those you said. Why do you think I shoud spend less?

TheUbiquitous

Ok I'm liking the ATH M50S.
A few questions biggrin.gif
Is the bass correctible with an equalizer?
How good is the soundstaging?
Do they need an amp?

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post

Only some models are. I ordered from Amazon and got the balanced model. Also, there are several mods to lower bass and raise the mids. Combine the two and you almost get mid-heavy 'phones.

????? balanced model of the m50?

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #4,676 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

looking for a phone more fun than any Denon AH-D.

If fun means "lots of bass and treble" then maybe the Beyer DT990.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #4,678 of 29,490
Ok I've been reading a lot and I've come to this conclusion, I'll get the m50's and if I can find a pair I'll also get the fischer 004. ¿What's your opinion guys?
I'm sorry that I'm beeing so insistent but where I live there is no way to get any of these and I have to do it know that my parents are vivsiting some friends in spain and france.
And on that subject: ¿Does any of you know where to buy there? I have  found a retailer in spain that has the m50's for around 180$ which is allright, but I can't find where to buy the Fischers.
Thanks in advance!

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #4,679 of 29,490
buy the fiscers of their website

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #4,680 of 29,490
Hi guys

I currently own a hd555 in combination with an audigy 2 zs (I rock) which I use for watching movies, listening to music (rock, trance, pop,... a bit of everything) and gaming.

I like them a lot, they are cheap and for me the quality is good enough. But... they are getting a bit old (lot's of cracks etc etc) so I need a new headphone. I had an ad-700 a few years ago, I really loved it, but at that time my head was too small for them :). Now i'd like to try them again but first I'd like your opinions.

I live in Belgium, Europe and my max budget is about €150.

Thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back