++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 13, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #4,621 of 29,490
Searching through accessoryjack, I found these as affordable ones:

Sennheiser HD448, HD485, HD280 Pro, HD465
Shure SRH440, SRH550 DJ
Audio-Technica ATH T-500, ATH-A500

Although I think the AT's are opened, which of them has good bass quality?

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #4,622 of 29,490

Quote:
How about the AKG K518 (aka K81dj). Great isolation and strong thumpy bass.

Those did catch my eye, but the cords made me nervous. They look pretty flimsy, and its don't use a single line. I already get tangled enough up in laptop cords, phone cords etc.  I was also reading some threads where people were saying the rx700 needs proper amps etc for it to sound good and by itself will be less than good. Im sure I would probably not be able to tell the difference, but just a thought. What about the beyerdynamic 235s, or the audio tech m30s? 

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #4,623 of 29,490
ok guys i got $230 for my graduation present and i am looking for headphones good for rock for under $200.

currently i am after either the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii or the audio technica ad900. i will either be buying the audio technica ad900 from a user here for $210 shipped but i think the sennheiser hd25 1 ii might be a better option.

how fast are the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii?

and how well do they play folk metal, melodic death, death, thrash, and symphonic metal.

thanks for your time. i want the hd 25 1 ii because they are portable but i am not sure if they are worth it.

oh and i would prefer a non harsh sound so no grado's please.

thanks

edit: i will get the sennheiser hd25 1 ii here

is ebay trustworthy?

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #4,624 of 29,490
Let me start by, i havent heard either of these but if you search around here i think your decision will come down to comfort, from what i've read they're both quality headphones (i'd go with the senns though). Just an uneducated opinion (all i can do)
I've never had a problem with ebay, i doubt they rip off senn HDs yet.
Quote:
ok guys i got $230 for my graduation present and i am looking for headphones good for rock for under $200.
currently i am after either the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii or the audio technica ad900. i will either be buying the audio technica ad900 from a user here for $210 shipped but i think the sennheiser hd25 1 ii might be a better option.
how fast are the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii?
and how well do they play folk metal, melodic death, death, thrash, and symphonic metal.
thanks for your time. i want the hd 25 1 ii because they are portable but i am not sure if they are worth it.
oh and i would prefer a non harsh sound so no grado's please.
thanks
edit: i will get the sennheiser hd25 1 ii here
is ebay trustworthy?

Hey guys, I have the chance to buy some vintage cans - yes i know quality wont be as great with the ones im after - but my question is:

will shortening the cable and converting the 6.5mm plug to a 3.5mm one retract from [future] resale value?

I'm thinking of buying these as kinda an investment but would like to use them.
odd question i know. they are relatively cheap but moderately sort after now, i dont think it would be a crime to do it.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #4,625 of 29,490

Quote:
Let me start by, i havent heard either of these but if you search around here i think your decision will come down to comfort, from what i've read they're both quality headphones (i'd go with the senns though). Just an uneducated opinion (all i can do)
I've never had a problem with ebay, i doubt they rip off senn HDs yet.

Hey guys, I have the chance to buy some vintage cans - yes i know quality wont be as great with the ones im after - but my question is:

will shortening the cable and converting the 6.5mm plug to a 3.5mm one retract from [future] resale value?

I'm thinking of buying these as kinda an investment but would like to use them.
odd question i know. they are relatively cheap but moderately sort after now, i dont think it would be a crime to do it.

i decided to go with the ad900s. the price was to hard to resist.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #4,626 of 29,490

Looking to spend around $100 on some decent headphones. They will be used for gaming and music. I listen to pretty much everything (Mozart to Death Metal).

What would the experts tell me to get?

I do not have an amp. They will be plugged in to my PC sound card. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #4,627 of 29,490
Hi guys, new to the forum. Was recommended by a friend.

I'm looking for some headphones and here is what I'm hoping to get with recommendation:

1. Good for air travel namely, to block out noise and airplane noise, so sound isolation or at least partial sound isolation is mandatory. They're pretty much only going to be used for air travel and MAYBE (probably quite seldom), used for when I'm walking around and out. So I'm probably looking for closed end headphones?
2. Price wise since I'm not going to be using them THAT often (aside from travelling), I can go anywhere from $60 bucks USD to $120 or so, would probably like to aim for something around the $90 to $100 range.
3. I'm not a huge audiophile so I know at the price range I really won't be getting anything great, but I would like it to sound nice since I use Shure IEMs but am beginning to get sick of having something in my ear especially over 16 hours flights, isn't so comfortable after that long. 
4. i think what is also very important to me is COMFORT. I don't want the headphones to be huge, but I don't want them to be shaped such that it puts pressure on the ear or gets in the way when I wear glasses. I know it's a bit picky on this point, but if you guys just recommend some headphones I'll just take a look and be the judge of  "comfort" factor myself. 

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the help.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #4,628 of 29,490
Hi guys, new to the forum. Was recommended by a friend.

I'm looking for some headphones and here is what I'm hoping to get with recommendation:

1. Good for air travel namely, to block out noise and airplane noise, so sound isolation or at least partial sound isolation is mandatory. They're pretty much only going to be used for air travel and MAYBE (probably quite seldom), used for when I'm walking around and out. So I'm probably looking for closed end headphones?
2. Price wise since I'm not going to be using them THAT often (aside from travelling), I can go anywhere from $60 bucks USD to $120 or so, would probably like to aim for something around the $90 to $100 range.
3. I'm not a huge audiophile so I know at the price range I really won't be getting anything great, but I would like it to sound nice since I use Shure IEMs but am beginning to get sick of having something in my ear especially over 16 hours flights, isn't so comfortable after that long. 
4. i think what is also very important to me is COMFORT. I don't want the headphones to be huge, but I don't want them to be shaped such that it puts pressure on the ear or gets in the way when I wear glasses. I know it's a bit picky on this point, but if you guys just recommend some headphones I'll just take a look and be the judge of  "comfort" factor myself. 

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the help.

hands down the senn pxc 300 or pxc 250 models. active noise canceling gives you about 20db worth of noise isolation, amazon has some guy selling the 300's for about 125 which is a freaking steal. he doesn't have many ratings but the ones he does have are good so i would prolly go for it. it's also fulfilled by amazon so free shipping. The noise canceling adds a tiny bit of white noise, but it's barely noticeable when you have music going and well worth the amount of isolation you get. Also because they are noise canceling they require batteries which sit in this little noise canceling thing that you rest on your lap. because you won't be moving much for the duration of the flight I don't see this as a real problem. If you want a model that doesn't have the little noise canceling battery pack it will run you about 300 dollars at least X_X The headphones are really small, and senn is generally known for pretty comfortable ear wear.

check it out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080O0UI/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #4,629 of 29,490

Quote:
Those did catch my eye, but the cords made me nervous. They look pretty flimsy, and its don't use a single line. I already get tangled enough up in laptop cords, phone cords etc.  I was also reading some threads where people were saying the rx700 needs proper amps etc for it to sound good and by itself will be less than good. Im sure I would probably not be able to tell the difference, but just a thought. What about the beyerdynamic 235s, or the audio tech m30s? 

Perhaps the K430/450 then?

Quote:

Looking to spend around $100 on some decent headphones. They will be used for gaming and music. I listen to pretty much everything (Mozart to Death Metal).

What would the experts tell me to get?

I do not have an amp. They will be plugged in to my PC sound card. 

random suggestion: Audio Technica AD700

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #4,630 of 29,490

Searching through accessoryjack, I found these as affordable ones:

Sennheiser HD448, HD485, HD280 Pro, HD465
Shure SRH440, SRH550 DJ
Audio-Technica ATH T-500, ATH-A500

Although I think the AT's are opened, which of them has good bass quality?

I have the hd448s and highly recommend them. What type of music do you listen to? Where are you buying your headphones from and what is your price range?

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #4,631 of 29,490
Guys, im looking to upgrade from my HD555's. I listen to a bit of everything. I have €120 to spend. 
What i want? more detail, bass punch. And portability. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #4,632 of 29,490
Hey guys, haven't asked for help here in a while. I'm making a general headphone modding guide and I was planning on making a video of the entire process. To do that, I'll need a cheap ($30 or less) closed/semi-open headphone. Any suggestions? Ideally, it'd have decent mids and tone. The rest are easily tweakable. I was looking at the Senn HD428, Koss UR55, an AKG K518 if I can find one for $30 (I know they aren't great in the mids, but I've been curious about these for years), AT FC700, AT T300, maybe an AT M series headphone, a Panasonic HTX7, a JVC RX700, or a Superlux. Anyone know what has the most potential? Am I missing anything? Thanks!

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #4,633 of 29,490
Hi guys, yesterday I bought a DT880 600Ohm, he is on his way now, but there is a problem: I dont have an AMP/DAC;

I wanna buy both together, I have 250$ to spend on it. I was looking for the FiiO E9 + E7 combo, but Im afraid they are to "bright" for the DT880, so I looked at the Audinst HUD-mx1, which is a darker model, but I have to import him from Korea, and with the taxes of Brazil, it will cost more than the FiiO combo, which will not get any taxes and the safety is guaranteed.

Which model you guys recommend for me?

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #4,634 of 29,490
Sorry but I already made a thread, if anyone is interested in helping me out, would be greatly appreciated. Preferably someone with knowledge of HD 650 and/or Nuforce products.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558420/please-help-a-fellow-music-enthusiast-enter-the-world-of-head-fi#post_7539410

Users who are viewing this thread

Back