++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 13, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #4,606 of 29,490

I know. It is a really interesting idea, which I appreciate, but the much, if not most, of the cost of the Symphones Magnum upgrade involves throwing away expensive Grado components and laboriously undoing previous manufacturing work. That kind of process is grossly inefficient from economics point of view. And I haven't found a way to correlate all the various review information to my own tastes. 

Quote:
Wow, that's one heck of a $$$ upgrade. Is it really worth more than the original cans themselves?

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #4,607 of 29,490
Have you considered the Alessandro MS2i? That's pretty much what I'm doing. Was comparing the SR325is w/HD598 and found that while I liked the 325 sound overall a bit more, those harsh, peaky trebles proved problematic. While that issue was solved for me using the quick & cheap "tape" mod, I decided to order the Alessandro anyway since there was no difference in pricing between the two.

Quote:
I know. It is a really interesting idea, which I appreciate, but the much, if not most, of the cost of the Symphones Magnum upgrade involves throwing away expensive Grado components and laboriously undoing previous manufacturing work. That kind of process is grossly inefficient from economics point of view. And I haven't found a way to correlate all the various review information to my own tastes. 

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #4,608 of 29,490
Anyone have advice on which headset I should buy? I really like the Sennheiser PC 360 and would love to buy those but I can't really afford to spend $200+ on a headset. I want an open design so I can still hear when people are talking to me in the room or whatever, I need a mic attached because I will be mostly using this to talk on Ventrilo on my computer but I would like to be able to use it on other game systems if possible as well. Anything like the PC 360 that maybe isn't as good but doesn't cost as much?

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #4,609 of 29,490
Then, I would get the PC360 b/c of convenience - unless you want to save that extra cash for a nice dinner or a couple pizzas. 

Quote:
I live in the Netherlands. I can get the PC-360 for 160 Euro's and the HD595 for 140 Euro's. The HD555/558 is hard to come by. Besides, the price is around 130 Euro's. So I don't think it's worth it.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #4,610 of 29,490
Hey all,

I'm looking for a set of cans this summer. My parents run a B&B and therefore I spend a lot of my time having to turn down my music ( and guitar playing) which has begun to get more than a little bit frustrating. Currently I'm listening to my music through a set of Audio engine A5s which I absolutley love and for my portable music needs I have some UE triple Fis which I take almost everywhere with me, such great IEMs. As you can see I don't really have much experience in the audiophile world so I'm here asking for some guidance. I've browsed this forum for a while looking at the different choices but feel I don't really posses the knowledge or " ear-experience" to make the best choice. 

I'm looking for a set of closed headphones and possibly an amp (if needed). My music taste is pretty broad and therefore I'm wanting something that is more of an all rounder in sound (I listen to anything from Folk to Chill-wave to electro to on a daily basis). I have a budget of around £400 but if it's really worth it I could probably stretch to that amount.  Currently from looks and descriptions of the sounds alone I'm looking at the Denon d5000's, I love the look of the wooden cups (Looks are also quite important for me, I HATE the look of the senn 650's) and they seem to be well liked.

Thanks in advanced for any recomendations, I look forward to hearing them.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #4,611 of 29,490
okei.... so,
I'm not an audiophile, and I'm thinking about getting one good isolated and comfortable closed circumaural headphone, mainly to play heavy and bassy musics, such as metal or electronic psytrance.
My budget is about 90-100$.

What would be good for me?
I have considered these: Shure SRH 440, Ultrasone HFI-450.

anyone, opinions? :)

And any trustful website that ships worldwide will be of great help!!

thx,
Aramis

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #4,612 of 29,490
The SRH440 is very bass-light, so you might as well expunge that from your shortlist.

Quote:
okei.... so,
I'm not an audiophile, and I'm thinking about getting one good isolated and comfortable closed circumaural headphone, mainly to play heavy and bassy musics, such as metal or electronic psytrance.

thx,
Aramis

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #4,613 of 29,490
Looking for something similar to Nom de Plum. ie Closed, circumaural, isolating phones with more than average bass heaviness. However I am looking for the lower end of the spectrum $60> and was reading up on the  Sony XD-200s, Sen hd 202 iis, JVC Harx700, and Akg k77.

The JVCs seemed to have quite a following from my reading, with one user saying that if they knew what they knew now when they first started buying headphones, they would have bought two pairs of the rx700s and called it a day. 

Are there offerings from sure, audio technica etc that surpass any of these in bassiness and soundquality/ isolations?

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #4,614 of 29,490
hmm. maybe I have fewer options, because of the budget.
I know I won't have a good one with less then 100$... unquestionable.
Can you list some for me?? As SweetLou remembered me, there is Sennheiser to consider :wink:

And forgot to say, I'm no 'basshead', don't really enjoy boomy bass, I rather high quality punch, without loosing its charasteristics. A strong and impactful bass.

In fact I was thinking about ATH-M50, but its out of hand (as VSonic GR07 as an IEM, but I will stick with Brainwavz M2 for now).

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #4,615 of 29,490
Eh? I'm not looking for anything like that. For some time, I was thinking about upgrading to a D7000 + D100, but I ran into an insuperable obstacle so I had to abandon that pursuit. 
Anyways, the moment I read "closed, circumaural... with more than average bass... <$60," the HARX700 came to mind. I would get the HARX700 and be done with it. Disclaimer: the only <$60 headphones I've heard are the HD201/202 and HARX700, but I imagine you'd receive only incremental improvement in SQ with other headphones at a similar pricetag - assuming they're actually better than the HARX700 (again, this is just speculation).
I'm certain of one thing: the HARX700 is a very good headphone. What more do you need?

Quote:
Looking for something similar to Nom de Plum. ie Closed, circumaural, isolating phones with more than average bass heaviness. However I am looking for the lower end of the spectrum $60> and was reading up on the  Sony XD-200s, Sen hd 202 iis, JVC Harx700, and Akg k77.

The JVCs seemed to have quite a following from my reading, with one user saying that if they knew what they knew now when they first started buying headphones, they would have bought two pairs of the rx700s and called it a day. 

Are there offerings from sure, audio technica etc that surpass any of these in bassiness and soundquality/ isolations?

Truthfully, I never considered the M50 bass monsters. I know many headfiers would love to contend otherwise, but I just never heard monstrous bass in the M50. I verily agree that its bass is plenty north of neutral, but I think it's too generous to exalt the M50 as bass monsters. It's still a solid choice if you want a headphone with punchy bass; just don't expect a subwoofer in your head.
P.S. Most bassheads don't enjoy boomy/muddy bass either. 

Quote:
And forgot to say, I'm no 'basshead', don't really enjoy boomy bass, I rather high quality punch, without loosing its charasteristics. A strong and impactful bass.

In fact I was thinking about ATH-M50, but its out of hand (as VSonic GR07 as an IEM, but I will stick with Brainwavz M2 for now).

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #4,617 of 29,490
Hey guys, I have about 100-150 dollars to spend on a nice pair of gaming headphones. It does not need to include a mic because I already have a clip on. I exclusively game and I do not do any competitive gaming, so I would like it to have some nice bass for fun explosions, bullet fire, and other sounds. I had the AD700 but even though I didn't have a sound card, the bass sounded extremely light and it just wasn't the sound I wanted. Closed vs Open does not really matter to me. I don't want so much bass that it kills everything else though.

Thanks in advance,

Vires

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #4,618 of 29,490

Quote:
Anyone have advice on which headset I should buy? I really like the Sennheiser PC 360 and would love to buy those but I can't really afford to spend $200+ on a headset. I want an open design so I can still hear when people are talking to me in the room or whatever, I need a mic attached because I will be mostly using this to talk on Ventrilo on my computer but I would like to be able to use it on other game systems if possible as well. Anything like the PC 360 that maybe isn't as good but doesn't cost as much?

Sennheiser has a few other models to choose from...
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headsets

Quote:
Hey all,

I'm looking for a set of cans this summer. My parents run a B&B and therefore I spend a lot of my time having to turn down my music ( and guitar playing) which has begun to get more than a little bit frustrating. Currently I'm listening to my music through a set of Audio engine A5s which I absolutley love and for my portable music needs I have some UE triple Fis which I take almost everywhere with me, such great IEMs. As you can see I don't really have much experience in the audiophile world so I'm here asking for some guidance. I've browsed this forum for a while looking at the different choices but feel I don't really posses the knowledge or " ear-experience" to make the best choice. 

I'm looking for a set of closed headphones and possibly an amp (if needed). My music taste is pretty broad and therefore I'm wanting something that is more of an all rounder in sound (I listen to anything from Folk to Chill-wave to electro to on a daily basis). I have a budget of around £400 but if it's really worth it I could probably stretch to that amount.  Currently from looks and descriptions of the sounds alone I'm looking at the Denon d5000's, I love the look of the wooden cups (Looks are also quite important for me, I HATE the look of the senn 650's) and they seem to be well liked.

Thanks in advanced for any recomendations, I look forward to hearing them.

If you want to practice guitar on it, I assume you'll be plugging directly into the guitar amp then, so you'll want something that can be powered directly from there instead of having to lug around a separate headphone amp.

Denons are pretty good, though they don't isolate all that well and also leak sound. I found switching to jmoney leather earpads helped in this regard, and also improved comfort.

Quote:
okei.... so,

thx,
Aramis

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #4,619 of 29,490
No, I hadn't thought of that. Sounds interesting. I'd really, really be interested in what you think of them, especially because we seem to relate similarly to the 598 and 325 phones. Thanks for the idea.

Quote:
Have you considered the Alessandro MS2i? That's pretty much what I'm doing. Was comparing the SR325is w/HD598 and found that while I liked the 325 sound overall a bit more, those harsh, peaky trebles proved problematic. While that issue was solved for me using the quick & cheap "tape" mod, I decided to order the Alessandro anyway since there was no difference in pricing between the two.

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #4,620 of 29,490

Quote:

How about the AKG K518 (aka K81dj). Great isolation and strong thumpy bass.

Quote:
hmm. maybe I have fewer options, because of the budget.
I know I won't have a good one with less then 100$... unquestionable.
Can you list some for me?? As SweetLou remembered me, there is Sennheiser to consider :wink:

And forgot to say, I'm no 'basshead', don't really enjoy boomy bass, I rather high quality punch, without loosing its charasteristics. A strong and impactful bass.

Senn PX200-ii, Shure 440.

Quote:
Hey guys, I have about 100-150 dollars to spend on a nice pair of gaming headphones. It does not need to include a mic because I already have a clip on. I exclusively game and I do not do any competitive gaming, so I would like it to have some nice bass for fun explosions, bullet fire, and other sounds. I had the AD700 but even though I didn't have a sound card, the bass sounded extremely light and it just wasn't the sound I wanted. Closed vs Open does not really matter to me. I don't want so much bass that it kills everything else though.

Thanks in advance,

Vires

A midrange Sennheiser perhaps? HD555/558 would fit the bill. The midrange Ultrasones also have nice fun sounds and can give a little extra oomph in the bass end without overwhelming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back