++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 7, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #4,457 of 29,490

Hey guys, extremely new here. I mostly just read and observe, not post.

However, I've been listening to massive amounts of Dubstep/Techno/Rave/Electronic/WHATEVERYOUCALLIT lately, and am in dire need of headphones that can handle this genre well. I also don't know anything about amps and am interested in possibly investing in a good one. My budget is around 100$. Higher, if I'm buying an amp, too, obviously.

Right now I am thinkin about the Sony MDRXB500 or MDRXB900's. Any opinions on which is better there? Any other options?

Thanks.

for under 100 bucks it has to be the sennheiser hd 448 i have them right now and love them to death but i simply want more, and i'm looking to upgrade to a more expensive pair of cans now.

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #4,458 of 29,490

Quote:
I own the HD280 pros (black ones) actually and I use them for exactly what u mentioned (gaming, monitoring and i listen to the same genres). Im a guitarist as well and I use these senns for monitoring purposes. I have my fa-002w for listening to music now but these cans are still very good for listening. They are extremely durable. I would say they're built like a tank (dont let the plastic fool u XP ) have ahd no problems with them so far and I used to take them out everyday. Get them online as places like JB hifi jack prices up so bad here in aus =.=

Thanks, where do you buy online? I'm not sure how somewhere like amazon will go in Australia. I'd also like to buy some CDs online if you happen to have any advice for that too. :p

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #4,459 of 29,490

I bought mine from ebay. didnt know about this forum at that time. I bought them for around AUD110 including shipping which i guess is still abit pricey. Amazon does ship to australia but not all the sellers do. Amazon itself does. i bought my cds from amazon too since alot of them go on sale often but it does take quite awhile to reach australia. if u dont mind 2nd hand, get them from the sale/trade forums. Can get them for below $100 but if ur willing to pay around $140, u can buy the shure SRH840 from Amazon which are also good monitoring headphones in my opinion.
Quote:
Thanks, where do you buy online? I'm not sure how somewhere like amazon will go in Australia. I'd also like to buy some CDs online if you happen to have any advice for that too. :p

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #4,460 of 29,490
I am going into computer engineering.  I don't think you realize just HOW MUCH POWER 802.11 takes.  WiFi is extremely power hungry compared to BT.  That is why people use BT, the problem is, without proper compression BT doesn't have enough bandwidth.  It doesn't matter how old a technology is if it is still power hungry.

Quote:

That was exactly my point :) Since the transmission is digital, its quality does not depend on the carrier (as long as losses are not too high). 200KB/s is somewhat less that 1mbit/sec, that is bandwidth of (ancient) fast infrared and original 802.11.
As for digital, I tonally agree. So what I want is wireless headphones with _digital_ transmission and _digital_ input. Sorry if I was not clear.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #4,461 of 29,490
Quote:
I am going into computer engineering.  I don't think you realize just HOW MUCH POWER 802.11 takes.  WiFi is extremely power hungry compared to BT.  That is why people use BT, the problem is, without proper compression BT doesn't have enough bandwidth.  It doesn't matter how old a technology is if it is still power hungry.

This is probably your best bet for wireless at the moment.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #4,462 of 29,490

Quote:

Like you, I tried the Sennheiser HD280s early on in my audio career. They broke and I had to return them.
However, considering your price range, I advise you to look into orthodynamic headphones. I assure you they will not disappoint.
Specifically, I will recommend you the Fostex T50RP, a great choice for your needs and purposes.

I recommend that you do research in these threads:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/1680#post_7523439  (Fostex T50RP)
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/17370#post_7523575. (Orthodynamics)

This is how I started (and finished) my journey in headphones.

Through proper research, the best cost-value in headphones can be found. In my experience, the end-all-be-all of all headphone purchases was made early with a minimal investment.
I am all about cost-efficiency, and as you know, this goes against the Head-Fi saying, "Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet!"

You will have to purchase other materials to properly modify the T50RPs, but do not let this sway you. There are incredible rewards to be had when modifying these orthodynamic headphones.

I encourage you to do the research, as I was suggested to do when I first joined Head-Fi.

Excellent, thank you. I will definitely look into these.

Slightly overwhelmed by the amount of modding it sounds like I'd have to do. Looks like I may be looking into it for a while to see if it's worth it or not.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #4,463 of 29,490
Why hello there. :) 
This probably isn't the best "first post", I'd rather introduce myself but I'm still finding the right sub-forum for that. I'll find it. 
Anyways, I'm thinking about purchasing the Denon AH-D2000's. I currently have the HD-25 II and a Fiio E7. How would the Denon's compare to the Hd-25's? I'm a bass head, My HD-25's have been burned in for about a week of constant listening, and I love them, although I'd like a tad more bass.
I can't find these headphones for less than about 300-350 USD. Would they still be worth it at that price? Finally, I'm probably going to end up purchasing the Fiio E9 to compliment the Denons. Would that run just fine? 

Thanks for the answers! :) 

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #4,464 of 29,490
Go with a Sennheiser HD600. It's a fine choice and a great all-rounder for various genres.

There's a gaming headphone review linked in the very first post of this huge thread. There are some good suggestions in there that cover both gaming and music listening.

Some random suggestions:
Audio Technica A900
Sennheiser HD380
Sony V6 or 7506
Shure 840

I was never too crazy about the Koss sound, and I've never heard of Gamecom. I would go with the open Senn on your list (408)

I see that there's no "All round winner" in this price tag, so, I've heard recommendations to all the 4.

The Plantronics Gamecom 367 are well regarded as gaming headset. What is confusing me is the following:

KOSS PortaPro: Legendary headphones, an amazing value for money, and probably the best pair of headphones on this price range, for portable use. But this is the question. Portable Use usually increases the price, because of the worries with size. And I don't need that, on this buy. So, my doubt is, is there anything better sounding than the KOSS, even if it's bigger?

Sennheiser HD201: Quite cheap. But the HD202 were eliminated from this list because they were worst than the KOSS. Are these better sounding than the KOSS and the HD202? I really don't know. I've heard that they don't have bass, and that doesn't please me.

Sennheiser HD408: Thet apparently have a poor definition, but a lot of bass, which makes them a bit of the opposite of the HD201. By looking at them, they look a bit fragile. Some say it's sound quality is a lot below the KOSS. Anyone tried them? What do you think?

Plantronics Gamecom 367: The only ones on this list that have a microphone. They're obviously built with different purposes than the other ones. They're closed, and don't have a lot of bass. Apparently, they break down a lot. Good soundstage, though. What are your thoughts?

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #4,465 of 29,490
u could always try the sale/trade forums :x can usually get them for $200 or less there and people usually take good care of their cans so the most would be just replacing the cups? thats just my opinion though since its not like 2nd hand will change the audio signature of a pair of headphones (unless its modded?) just slight cosmetic change for saving alot of money XD

Quote:
Why hello there. :) 
This probably isn't the best "first post", I'd rather introduce myself but I'm still finding the right sub-forum for that. I'll find it. 
Anyways, I'm thinking about purchasing the Denon AH-D2000's. I currently have the HD-25 II and a Fiio E7. How would the Denon's compare to the Hd-25's? I'm a bass head, My HD-25's have been burned in for about a week of constant listening, and I love them, although I'd like a tad more bass.
I can't find these headphones for less than about 300-350 USD. Would they still be worth it at that price? Finally, I'm probably going to end up purchasing the Fiio E9 to compliment the Denons. Would that run just fine? 

Thanks for the answers! :) 

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #4,467 of 29,490

Hey, I''ll start off by introducing myself to the forums. I am a 18 year old guy, about to be a college student, and I decided I would spend some money on a nice pair of headphones. I would prefer to pay like 100-200 dollars if possible, but have up to 300 dollars to spend. I listen to all kinds of music, but my favorite is rock. I love high quality music, but I generally just listen from my i-pod, so a 1/8th inch jack is needed. Durability and comfort are also extremely important as I will be using them a ton, and would like them to last a long time. 

If I should be buying cheaper headphones for what I'm using them for feel free to tell me, as I am new to higher end headphones. 

Thanks ahead of time!

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #4,468 of 29,490
Looking to upgrade my AD700's. Love them alot, so i was wondering if i should fork up some money to buy AD2000's, because ive grown so used to open ear cans. I listen to mainly female vocal/classical, and rock..pretty much looking for a headphone thats similar to the AD700, but willing to sacrifice some of the airy-ness for bass and warmer mids. Not sure if ad2000's are the best investment (poor college student here :frowning2: ). I dont have a DAC or amp, but looking into getting a mid-fi one once i get a new pair of headphones

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #4,469 of 29,490

Quote:

This is going even more farther from headphones, but OK :) BT2.0 is 3Mb/s in theory. More than 2Mb/s in practice. That's twice more than one needs for uncompressed 16 48 stereo. And _original_ 802.11 is not really Wi-Fi (802.11 legacy was released around 1997, Wi-Fi Alliance founded around 1999).

Quote:
This is probably your best bet for wireless at the moment.

Looks interesting. Some more technical details, please? :)

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #4,470 of 29,490
Hi there. I'm looking to improve my personal hearing equipment. I have read a lot of the threads around this forum but, I would like direct feedback and opinions.

Music taste: Mostly Electro/Progressive/House/Trance (Deadmau5, Tiesto, AvB, Afrojack, etc...), Dubstep, Drum 'N Bass (Dieselboy), Hip-Hop/Rap/R&B (Rej3ctz, Chris Brown, Lil Wayne, The Dream), and the ocassional Pop/Rock/Latin (Adele, Christina Perri, etc...).
Current equipment: Bose On-Ear (the ones I currently use at home), and Bose Mobile In-Ear 2i headset (which I use while I'm outside my apartment, unrelated to this post).
Price range: No fixed price range but the best bang for the buck. Say... $300~$500.
Amp: Yes. I currently own a FiiO E5 that works really well and while I was looking for something a bit better, I decided to purchase the PA2V2. Still on transit.
Audio source: Intel DX58SO Integrated HD Audio (Realtek-based), Apple iPad 2 (using FiiO L3 Line-Out Dock), HTC EVO 4G.
Track quality: Most of my music is >256 kbps MP3, 256 kbps AAC, and Apple Lossless (mostly converted from FLAC, some of them ripped from original CDs). I'm trying to replace most of my current MP3 tracks to >256 kbps AAC and Apple Lossless. I only use iTunes for my music listening.
Mobility: Not needed. I plan to use these >98% at home.

I would like headphone as well as amp recommendations. I've seen good feedback about the Sony MDR-XB1000 (not yet released in the US) being better than the Bose OE on the bass frequencies. but you guys know more than I do. Thank you for your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back