++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 4, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #4,411 of 29,490
You're missing my point.  The point is that it is a digital signal and it won't degrade unlike an analog signal.  You won't hear any static or any of that.  The other solutions are noisy and disturbing, and no, not anything can do that.  For those sort of low power devices, 200 KByte/sec is pretty fast.  Heck, even if you don't go with the Kleer solutions, at least go digital, you will be glad you did.

Quote:
I just want to avoid that digital to analog to digital conversion. After all, uncompressed 16bit/48kHz stereo is about 200KByte/sec, anything can do that.

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #4,412 of 29,490
Sup guys. Im going to buy new headphones. I listen to rap/hiphop and I will use the headphones on my iphone and computer. I wonder if the 
Audio Technica ATH M-50 is better than Shure SRH840 for hiphop and house/electro music. In Sweden the price is same for the Shure and M-50. The price is around 240$.

As I said before Im going to buy new headphones and I only listen to Hiphop,  electro,dubstep and house. But I listen mostly to hiphop so thats the priority

Thanks

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #4,413 of 29,490
Well, hello everyone!

I only recently started to give my music sets the attention they deserved. I had always been a fan of music, but I didn't care about headphones, bitrates, etc. I'm trying to change that.

I now have a Meelec M21 as on-the-run headphones (review to come soon!), and I'm thinking on buying a home-only headphones, so, they can be full-size. The problem is, I have a tight budget, something around: 30EUR/44$/27£

On this budget, what do you advise? What I've thought so far is:
KOSS PortaPro (32EUR)
Gamecom367 (28EUR)
Sennheiser HD201 (20 EUR)
Sennheiser HD202-II (32EUR)
Sennheiser HD408 (30EUR)

What do you think?

Thanks!

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #4,414 of 29,490
HELLO!  I made a post some time ago about buying some closed headphones for listening to music, games and pretty much wearing all day, even when nothing is playing.  I had a pair of BOSE AE1 headphones at the time and I thought they were pretty darn good.  This was after trying a variety of Best Buy headphones in the $100-$130 range.

I had seen the ATH-AD700 and decided "I want these cans!" and lo, they are completely done with them.  Can't order them online, can't order them in store, even had a manager check the distribution center.  No dice.

I am still looking to stay specifically with Best Buy as my replacement plan for my BOSE AE1 phones ended up with me getting store credit for approx $150.

The Chase:  I am looking at three pair of headphones.  The information surrounding each is limited.  Mostly "These aren't as bad as people say" and other backhanded compliments that make me somewhat leery overall.

Sennheiser HD280PRO
Audio-Technica ATH-M40
Shure SRH440

I am going to order one of these today.   I am mostly considering the ATH-M40, but why not see what the other's have in store?

The ATH-M40 comes up with only few things when searching the site.  Just a few posts by people saying they're not as bad as many say, and they come with gear and are acceptable and not "fun" but very clean and clinical.

Similar, the HD280PRO also seems good.  I saw suggestions to get the SRH440 instead.  Mostly seeing that the HD280Pro is tight fit, great isolation and better bass.

Shure SRH440 has mostly alright reviews.  Clear sound, low on the bass which a lot of people seem to like.  Good for their price and SHURE quality, which seems to be good from what I've read.  I just hate curly cords.  REALLY hate curly cords... :/

So at the end of the day they all three seem like the low end of the 'good' quality of headgear and each has their specialty.  I use headphones for listening to voice chat, watching videos (youtube mostly), listening to my music and playing games.  ATH-M40's clean sound is what has me sold primarily.  I just am curious what people who have more experience with said phones might be able to say.

Cheers!

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #4,415 of 29,490

Quote:
HELLO!  I made a post some time ago about buying some closed headphones for listening to music, games and pretty much wearing all day, even when nothing is playing.  I had a pair of BOSE AE1 headphones at the time and I thought they were pretty darn good.  This was after trying a variety of Best Buy headphones in the $100-$130 range.

I had seen the ATH-AD700 and decided "I want these cans!" and lo, they are completely done with them.  Can't order them online, can't order them in store, even had a manager check the distribution center.  No dice.

I am still looking to stay specifically with Best Buy as my replacement plan for my BOSE AE1 phones ended up with me getting store credit for approx $150.

The Chase:  I am looking at three pair of headphones.  The information surrounding each is limited.  Mostly "These aren't as bad as people say" and other backhanded compliments that make me somewhat leery overall.

Sennheiser HD280PRO
Audio-Technica ATH-M40
Shure SRH440

I am going to order one of these today.   I am mostly considering the ATH-M40, but why not see what the other's have in store?

The ATH-M40 comes up with only few things when searching the site.  Just a few posts by people saying they're not as bad as many say, and they come with gear and are acceptable and not "fun" but very clean and clinical.

Similar, the HD280PRO also seems good.  I saw suggestions to get the SRH440 instead.  Mostly seeing that the HD280Pro is tight fit, great isolation and better bass.

Shure SRH440 has mostly alright reviews.  Clear sound, low on the bass which a lot of people seem to like.  Good for their price and SHURE quality, which seems to be good from what I've read.  I just hate curly cords.  REALLY hate curly cords... :/

So at the end of the day they all three seem like the low end of the 'good' quality of headgear and each has their specialty.  I use headphones for listening to voice chat, watching videos (youtube mostly), listening to my music and playing games.  ATH-M40's clean sound is what has me sold primarily.  I just am curious what people who have more experience with said phones might be able to say.

Cheers!

Well, I can't vouch for the other headphones, but I do own a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros.  I personally enjoy them greatly.  Sound quality wise, they're very balanced.  The soundstage is pretty small, but they do sound great and don't require a lot to drive.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #4,416 of 29,490
she has never heard them before. she knows about them because her friend says 'its the best and the most expensive headphones out there' it should also be noted that her friend has never heard the headphones before as well. im actually considering the creative aurvana live which is A$72 with free shipping. what do u guys think? (almost got a cheap 2nd hand sextett LP until i saw the impedance on those cans XD)

Quote:
Any idea why she was hinting at Beats? Has she heard them and likes the sound, or just seen them and likes the styling, or just wants the "hip" factor of the branding? While they're universally (within the forum) regarded as being a poor value (too much money for what you get), sometimes it could be the only thing that really meets whatever requirements there are (other than cost, of course, hehe). Trying to get an idea of what she sees in them can help people here suggest potential options that she's got a good chance of hopefully liking.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #4,417 of 29,490
I have tried out the PortaPros and the HD202s.  The PortaPros run circles around the HD202s.

Quote:
Well, hello everyone!

I only recently started to give my music sets the attention they deserved. I had always been a fan of music, but I didn't care about headphones, bitrates, etc. I'm trying to change that.

I now have a Meelec M21 as on-the-run headphones (review to come soon!), and I'm thinking on buying a home-only headphones, so, they can be full-size. The problem is, I have a tight budget, something around: 30EUR/44$/27£

On this budget, what do you advise? What I've thought so far is:
KOSS PortaPro (32EUR)
Gamecom367 (28EUR)
Sennheiser HD201 (20 EUR)
Sennheiser HD202-II (32EUR)
Sennheiser HD408 (30EUR)

What do you think?

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #4,418 of 29,490
Turns out my HiFi acts as a formidable amp because it has a decent receiver (according to a fellow member), so I guess that helps..
but yes, i'm willing to put aside money for good amps if they're required.

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #4,419 of 29,490

Quote:
Sup guys. Im going to buy new headphones. I listen to rap/hiphop and I will use the headphones on my iphone and computer. I wonder if the 
Audio Technica ATH M-50 is better than Shure SRH840 for hiphop and house/electro music. In Sweden the price is same for the Shure and M-50. The price is around 240$.

As I said before Im going to buy new headphones and I only listen to Hiphop,  electro,dubstep and house. But I listen mostly to hiphop so thats the priority

Thanks

At those prices, the Shure is the better deal. Still, that's not a great price on either of them. Do you have other options?

Quote:

Sennheiser HD280PRO
Audio-Technica ATH-M40
Shure SRH440

Cheers!

Between those three, I would choose the Shure 440.

Quote:
she has never heard them before. she knows about them because her friend says 'its the best and the most expensive headphones out there' it should also be noted that her friend has never heard the headphones before as well. im actually considering the creative aurvana live which is A$72 with free shipping. what do u guys think? (almost got a cheap 2nd hand sextett LP until i saw the impedance on those cans XD)

Get the Creative. It's a comfy can with good all-round performance.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #4,420 of 29,490

Thanks for the input Armaegis,

I will probably go for a big amp because I don't want to upgrade again too soon. The beyer 880's have also been recommended, and I find its style quite appealing (slightly moreso than the senn's, although i've seen neither in real life)
I'll be attending a sydney meetup soon, so hopefully i'll be able to make up my mind after that.

Quote:
The Sennheiser are a safe bet for all-rounders. If you don't want to bother with a big amp yet (especially within budget), stay away from the HD600/650. Consider the 555/558 or 595/598 family. Read up on ways to mod the formers in the latters. The D2000 is also a nice entry into headfi.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #4,421 of 29,490
Buenos dias, greater recommendations thread. Soooooooo.... I've got an AKG K701 paired with the Fiio E9/E7 and I want something to complement the K701. What would you wise men and women recommend? I am open to pretty much anything.

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #4,422 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the input Armaegis,

I will probably go for a big amp because I don't want to upgrade again too soon. The beyer 880's have also been recommended, and I find its style quite appealing (slightly moreso than the senn's, although i've seen neither in real life)
I'll be attending a sydney meetup soon, so hopefully i'll be able to make up my mind after that.

Hah, if anything the meet will just make you hungry for even more.

Quote:
Buenos dias, greater recommendations thread. Soooooooo.... I've got an AKG K701 paired with the Fiio E9/E7 and I want something to complement the K701. What would you wise men and women recommend? I am open to pretty much anything.

Something different:
Denon D2000
Fostex T50p
Sennheiser HD600/650

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #4,424 of 29,490
hi, i'm looking into buying the klipsch image one's, mainly for commuting. i've heard generally good things about them, but this one review on amazon said that they sounded pretty much the same as the sennhiser hd202's, which i currently own. any thoughts? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back