++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 1, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #4,351 of 29,490

Quote:

I've never heard the IE8, but I'll do my best to recommend something that fulfills all the other criteria. You want/need:
- good detail, separation, strong bass, good mids (so a fairly balanced sound)
- plays well to all genres
- wide soundstage
- good style
- closed/isolation
- if you're carrying it everywhere, it will need portability and durability

Now out of all these, the most difficult to fit in is good soundstage, since good staging and closed headphones typically do not go that well together

Some recommendations...
- Pioneers HDJ-2000: a DJ headphones that's not as bass/treble heavy as others, superb construction/durability and good looks, very good isolation
- B&W P5: great looks, excellent isolation and comfort
- Ultrasone HFi-680: sturdy Ultrasone build, S-Logic has a funny way of creating soundstage
- Beyerdynamic: custom make one (the 770 would be the closed model) ... http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/manufaktur.html

how about the sound quality of the B&W P5?? do you own one of them??

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #4,352 of 29,490
Of course he comes home raving about how great they were and how they drowned out all of the outside noise in the plane. 

That's drivel. Having owned the Beats Studio just to develop my own opinion on the headphone and flown 14 consecutive hours with it, I know about its noise-cancelling capabilities, and boasting that it eliminates all outside noise while onboard a plane is just conspicuous exaggeration. 
As for suggestions, I doubt you're going to find anything boasting noise cancellation on par with Quiet Comfort 15's (SQ was dismal when I tried it at Best Buy, but noise cancellation was phenomenal) unless you knock up your budget. In other words, buy him something else. Noise-cancelling headphones are ill-fitted for general commuting (unless you're willing to endanger yourself) and have very few practical applications. You should buy him some closed headphones or IEMs. 

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #4,353 of 29,490

Quote:
New here, planning to buy my first expensive headphones.
I have a friend that works at an electronic store, which can get me discount.
I was thinking of buying Beats solo HD (white) for $132 + tax (that's 50% off retailer price), but i know beats is not really popular around here (especially with snapping problem). Althrough I care about sound quality, I also care about stylish(which i find beats).
So before i go make a mistake buying these, can you recommend a stylish and high quality sound?
I listen to all different genre of music. Willing to pay around $150 [my friend might be able to get discount for other headphone too].

The Solos are the worst in the Beats lineup. If you must have the styling of the beats, shell out the extra bucks and go with the Studio or Pro instead.

Some others to consider:
Skullcandy Aviator
Ultrasone Zino or whatever higher model you can find in your budget (the Nufoce UF-30 is also the same thing)
Sony XB300/500 if you like the look

Quote:
What are the best natural and open (not suppressed) sounding under 70$ earbuds NOT IN EAR CANAL TYPE

I'm looking that type what Sennheiser calls Intraaural
For example:
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_mp3_street-line_502856
But i need the speeker to be more opened and not behind plastic with some holes,
also opened from back little more than small hole.

I want something much better sounding than AKG K315

The only higher end buds I can think of would be made by Yuin and Sunrise.

Quote:
Fantastic, these are a lot cheaper then I would have expected, at least they are online. They do look a little on the plasticy side, although that could have just been the pictures. The Sennheisers at least should definitely be in most stores though hopefully both.

Have you had any experience with the MDR7509HD? On paper it seems to better then the 7506 which looks to be a little worse then the V6. Although that's really impossible to tell with just numbers.

From what I've read, people seem to prefer the 7506/V6 over the 7509.

For something nearly indestructible, there's the Beyer DT48. Lacking in bass, but great midrange and tank-like construction.

Quote:
Hi

I'm currently searching for a good pair of Headphone with a budget ~200$. I mostly want to use them to listen to 
EDM such as Trance, PsyTrance. I also love a bit of everything else including classical and guitar stuff. 

Can someone point me out what shall I start to look at ?
Thanks a lot for your help

paxl13

ps: I'm happy to have found this forum because I would have foked out too much cash for the Bose Around Ear ( I mean bang for buck )
ps2: I don't really care If I need a headphone amp or not.. I will decide later on so If possible with and without
ps3: It's going to be used with a mp3 player on the go and computers mostly...

Thanks again

One of my favourite headphones for EDM genres was the M-Audio Q40. It's got a great bass rumble that shakes your ears. The Ultrasone DJ1, Shure 750 or Audio Technica Pro700 are also good.

Quote:
Hi. First time poster here.

I'm interested in a pair of full size Hi-Fi headphones. I've searched far and wide for something that fits my budget, and I've narrowed it down to Pioneer SE-M290, and the Sennheiser HD203. I'm leaning more towards the Pioneer's though, since I've heard a lot of people complain about how uncomfortable the Sennheiser's are, especially to people with large heads, which I am. However, I'm a bit concerned about the Pioneer's as well, because the material they're made of seems to be really cheap, and I'm thinking they could brake pretty easily.
Does anyone have any experience with either the Pioneer SE-M290 or the Sennheiser HD203, and if so, what is your opinion of them? Also, what other headphones would you recommend in the same price range?

Another thing I want to know is how good will these headphones sound on an onboard soundcard? I currently have a Realtek HD Audio, and I'm wondering how well it will handle the Hi-Fi sound.

Thanks.

Looking at budget headphones, check out Joker's massive portables review thread for other options (link is in the very first post of this thread).

They will be just fine coming out of your soundcard. If you're looking for a cheap upgrade, the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II is a great investment at $25, and as a bonus it's also an optical converter if you ever get into bigger DACs in the future.

Quote:
Hello I want to get full size headphones but I do not know what to look for. I want something that I will carry around with me and sound great with a mixture or rock/metal and hip-hop/rap, my budget is around 250 and the source is an iphone. I was looking into the beats studios and sennheiser HD598. I tried the studios and I liked them but I am no expert and many reviews were low, I have never tried the 598 some said it looks quirky in person and the 10ft cord seems to be a turn down.
So what would be some good options for me?
Thanks!

First of all, that is an awesome screen name.

Second, some good headphones to consider: Shure 840 or 750 (or the newer 550, 940), Audio Technica M50, Sony V6/7506, Ultrasone whatever model, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii or HD380.

Quote:
Hello all, I'm looking for some quick help and a suggestion on what to buy for my dads birthday/fathers day coming up. As I really do not know much about headphones, any help is welcomed.

So a few weeks ago he was on a flight home from Vegas and ended up sitting next to a pro basketball player who happened to be wearing Beats Studios. They got to talking and he somehow ended up trying on the dudes headphones. Of course he comes home raving about how great they were and how they drowned out all of the outside noise in the plane. So he tells me this is what he wants for his gift, prompting me to quickly decline and inform him that a 50 year old white business man wearing those would be absolutely ridiculous and that I would research some comparable alternatives.

So simply that is what I am looking for. Noise cancelation quality close to the beats or Bose quiet comforts, but a look much closer to the Bose. $200 is really the highest I want to spend, and I really just want the best quality I can get for at or under that amount, that also will not look ridiculous on a grown man. The audio source he will be using is wither an iPod, iPad, or laptop.

Audio Technica ANC7b
Phiaton PS 300 NC
Sennheiser PXC 250 or 310 or MM400

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #4,354 of 29,490

Quote:

how about the sound quality of the B&W P5?? do you own one of them??

Sound quality is ok, though not my favourite. Staging was alright. One of the best comfort & isolation I've ever felt though.

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #4,355 of 29,490

Quote:
Audio Technica ANC7b
Phiaton PS 300 NC
Sennheiser PXC 250 or 310 or MM400

x2 on the Audio Technica.  Bose has the best noise cancellation, but they only work with noise cancellation.  If the battery dies, you get no sound.  That's not true with the Audio Technica.  Not sure about the others.  At least one head-fi member who owns both the Bose and Audio Technica prefers the sound of the Bose.

If you live anywhere near a major airport, you might be able to audition the Sennheisers and an electronics shop in the airport.  Maybe some other brands too.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #4,356 of 29,490
Hello everyone!
I want to by wireless headphones for gaming mostly. I have X-Fi Fatal1ty in my desktop, so my idea is something with digital input and digital transmissions (i.e. no unnecessary digital-analog-digital conversion). Dolby etc is not really important -- input is going to be stereo. RF would be nice (range), but not critical.
Right now I am considering Pioneer 800C, Sony DS6000 and DS6500. Any more suggestions? How does these models compare to each other?
Thanks!

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #4,357 of 29,490

Quote:
I've used HD280s for recording and mixing for quite a while and they're excellent. Their sound is very balanced and quite uncolored; this makes them great for recording but can come to feel a little bit lifeless to some ears (including mine) for recreational listening. YMMV. They really do provide almost total isolation, which is kinda important if you're working away from a controlled environment like a studio. They're pretty sturdy, too, although throwing them across the room because you just fouled up your guitar part cannot in good conscience be recommended...
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the advice. :p Do the HD280's have a removable cord? I've seen conflicting reports for some reason. >.>;

Other then that, is there anything I can do to liven up their sound while listening to music rather then recording it? Or would I really need to get another pair of 'phones for that?

Quote:
From what I've read, people seem to prefer the 7506/V6 over the 7509.

For something nearly indestructible, there's the Beyer DT48. Lacking in bass, but great midrange and tank-like construction.

Do you happen to know why that may be? Maybe the 7506/V6 has a flatter response or something which is more helpful for studio mixing?

As for the Beyer, that seems to be a little bit... unflat(?) which would be unhelpful for mixing?

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #4,358 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. :p Do the HD280's have a removable cord? I've seen conflicting reports for some reason. >.>;

Other then that, is there anything I can do to liven up their sound while listening to music rather then recording it? Or would I really need to get another pair of 'phones for that?

My 7 or 8 year old pay has a nondetatchable, 6 foot, coiled cord.  I don't know if they've changed it. 

Edit:  Even worse than I remember, minimum length is 1 m, max length is 3 m.  I know when I tried to use it portably, the cable hung down to my ankles.  The instruction manual says the cable is replaceable.  You have to take the cup apart and inside there is a proprietary connector.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/media/productDownloads/instructionManuals/HD280PRO_Instructionsforuse.pdf

Unfortunately, only a replacement stock cable is available.  http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/ProductDetails.aspx?direct_cat=Parts&direct_prod=082328

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #4,359 of 29,490
In your price range you can go for the Sennheiser RS180.  They would be a good match.  It is supposed to have CD resolution digital audio over Bluetooth.  BTW, RF SUCKS.  RF is very, very noisy, and for me, it was unenjoyable.

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #4,360 of 29,490
Hello everyone, as you see I'm new, I would have intension to buy a pair of headphones for the ipod, my choice had fallen between them.

AKG K404 Headphones
Sennheiser HD 201
Sennheiser HD 218

what do you recommend?

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #4,361 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone, as you see I'm new, I would have intension to buy a pair of headphones for the ipod, my choice had fallen between them.

AKG K404 Headphones
Sennheiser HD 201
Sennheiser HD 218

what do you recommend?

What sort of price range are we looking at?  Your choices are pretty conflicting on that,  and it's sort of important.
If you're looking on the cheap end portapros or koss KSC-75 are really going to win out in terms of sound quality against something like the 201s and offer more portability.  A step up (and keeping portability in mind)  I'd have to recommend the AKG k91DJ.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #4,364 of 29,490
Hello guys,

I'm on a journey to find the best set of headphones for me, and I need some advice, first of all, let me state that I'm a trance lover. I listen to armin,tiesto,above and beyond,ferry corsten....etc A LOT. I currently own denon d2000 but they just arent right for me. the highs are too harsh for me and bass is lacking. Please help me decide between: denon d7000,ultrasone pro 900,darth beyers. I'm currently driving my denons using little dot I+ and ibasso d4 mamba as a DAC.

Thanks in advance :)

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #4,365 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello guys,

I'm on a journey to find the best set of headphones for me, and I need some advice, first of all, let me state that I'm a trance lover. I listen to armin,tiesto,above and beyond,ferry corsten....etc A LOT. I currently own denon d2000 but they just arent right for me. the highs are too harsh for me and bass is lacking. Please help me decide between: denon d7000,ultrasone pro 900,darth beyers. I'm currently driving my denons using little dot I+ and ibasso d4 mamba as a DAC.

Thanks in advance :)

Wow, bass lacking on a D2000? You might need to head into Sony XB territory there, or perhaps a Phiaton MS400. The Ultrasones and Beyers, while they have a strong bass, all have an uptipped treble that you might still find harsh.

You might also consider modding your Denons. There are a few threads around on how to dampen them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back