++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 1, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #4,336 of 29,490

Quote:
Sony V6/7506 and Senheiser HD280 are both staples of the recording industry. Flat response, solid build quality, good isolation (the HD280 is phenomenal in this area). I would also add Shure 440 to the mix, although its sub-bass rolls off a little sooner than the other two (around 50-60Hz).

Fantastic, these are a lot cheaper then I would have expected, at least they are online. They do look a little on the plasticy side, although that could have just been the pictures. The Sennheisers at least should definitely be in most stores though hopefully both.

Have you had any experience with the MDR7509HD? On paper it seems to better then the 7506 which looks to be a little worse then the V6. Although that's really impossible to tell with just numbers.

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #4,337 of 29,490
YES DON'T YOU JUST LOVE HOW STYLISH CHEAP OBVIOUSLY CHINESE PLASTIC IS?!?  Seriously though, the Skullcandy Aviators would also work out well for you.  I say this over other headphones in the price range because it is probably what is at the store.

Quote:
New here, planning to buy my first expensive headphones.
I have a friend that works at an electronic store, which can get me discount.
I was thinking of buying Beats solo HD (white) for $132 + tax (that's 50% off retailer price), but i know beats is not really popular around here (especially with snapping problem). Althrough I care about sound quality, I also care about stylish(which i find beats).
So before i go make a mistake buying these, can you recommend a stylish and high quality sound?
I listen to all different genre of music. Willing to pay around $150 [my friend might be able to get discount for other headphone too].

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #4,338 of 29,490
Thanks for the help scompton! Try out some Gojira if you want to get an idea what I'm looking for
wink.gif

Sounds ok out of my iPhone, streamed from MOG, with the PX-100. Unfortunately a victim of the loudness wars. You definitely want something that puts out the bass. It really cries out for an ortho, but that will be out of your budget. Even if you managed to get a vintage ortho or a Fostex T50RP, you'ld still need an amp.

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #4,339 of 29,490
Fantastic, these are a lot cheaper then I would have expected, at least they are online. They do look a little on the plasticy side, although that could have just been the pictures. The Sennheisers at least should definitely be in most stores though hopefully both.

Have you had any experience with the MDR7509HD? On paper it seems to better then the 7506 which looks to be a little worse then the V6. Although that's really impossible to tell with just numbers.

They may look plasticy, but because they're studio equipment, they're made to take abuse. Almost every time I see a camera crew or someone making field recordings, they're using the 7506 or V6. I have no idea how they sound, or the MDR7509HD, because I've never heard them, but I do know if people use them in the field, they can take abuse. I hVe seen the V6 at a Sony Style store in the past for audition.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #4,340 of 29,490
If you're into tons of bass but want something higher quality (which also looks excellent), check out the Phiaton MS 400 or AIAIAI TMA-1. The MS 400 would probably be my pick in the situation.

Quote:
YES DON'T YOU JUST LOVE HOW STYLISH CHEAP OBVIOUSLY CHINESE PLASTIC IS?!?  Seriously though, the Skullcandy Aviators would also work out well for you.  I say this over other headphones in the price range because it is probably what is at the store.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #4,342 of 29,490
On paper it seems to better then the 7506 which looks to be a little worse then the V6.

The 7506 and V6 are identical. The 7506 targets the professional market; the V6, the general consumer market. Also, the 7506 boasts a better warranty since many have reported receiving a V600 when they send their V6 for repair. 

They may look plasticy, but because they're studio equipment, they're made to take abuse. Almost every time I see a camera crew or someone making field recordings, they're using the 7506 or V6. I have no idea how they sound, or the MDR7509HD, because I've never heard them, but I do know if people use them in the field, they can take abuse. I hVe seen the V6 at a Sony Style store in the past for audition.

Neutral seems the most apt description for the 7506's sound signature (the 7506 has been an indispensable comrade for my friend ever since he became a producer), and the 7506/V6 are tanks - you're almost inclined to abuse them just to see how durable they really are.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #4,343 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi I'm new in this forum but I've been reading for a while what you guys talk about headphones.
I'm really interested buying some headphones for myself so I hope someone here can give me a little guidance.

My situation is as follows:
Budget: Around U$150
Music: mostly Electro, House and Dance music. Sometimes I listen to some rock and pop but no even close to the amount of time I spend on electro.
Amp: None, in my country there are very few options of anything including headphones.
Source: currently I have nothing else than my Iphone 3GS, but I'm seriously considering buying  COWON player in the future, don't know if it'll make any difference, hope you guys can tell me that.
Environment: I plan on using them at home or in college where there might be a lot of noise around me, 0 use in the street by the way.
What I expect of the headphones:
1.- Durability, I'm not planning on buying another pir in the enar future so I'm hopping it will be good quality.
2.- Nice bass, but not overwhelming cause I do wanna hear the singer when I listen to some other music.
3.- Hopefully coiled and deatachable cord.
Well thats about it, I would ask for dynamic feature or losed or open, but I really do not know what those features do.

If you have some links that would help me learn more about how headphones work I would love to see them, specially about those features that would inffluence the sound output.

Regards.

Does anyone else have an opinion for me with this =(?
SHR840 are too pricey around here, and dunno about the bass with shure's.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #4,344 of 29,490
Quote:

Maybe the Audio Technica M50?  It has nice deep bass that doesn't drown out the mids  The Sony XB700 might me ok if you don't listen to loudly.  They sound quite good if you listen at soft to moderate volumes but they break up in to crap if you crank them.  They're less detailed than the M50s but have more bass with out messing up the mids.  The XB700s are also are more delicate than either the M50s or the Shures but they should be cheaper.  The Shure 750DJ might work too but I've never heard it myself.  You might want to check into it

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #4,345 of 29,490

Quote:

You might look into the Ultrasone DJ1 (not Pro), it's supposed to be almost (or exactly) the same as the HFI-580 but with different badging and a coiled cable instead of straight. My 580s are my first "real" pair of headphones, but I've been really happy with them, and they do seem to be often-recommended for some electronic genres around here. Bass isn't overpowering and rarely in-your-face, but is pretty clean and controlled and IMO blends in well with the rest of the range. Depending on the mastering and focus of certain songs, the bass will occasionally knock your socks off, but in a good way (seems to be decent extension to the bass, so when the mastering/encoding allows it to be there, you can get extra satisfaction out of it). Midrange can be a little distant, but that's about the only complaint I personally have with them. It would be nice to have a little larger soundstage, but they're closed and I don't particularly need a large soundstage (it's nitpicky). Some people do complain that the S-Logic sounds weird to them, though to me I don't really notice anything different (positive or negative).

One issue with Ultrasones, though, is they seem to be hard to find in stores to try, so you'd almost have to order some online somewhere (with a good return policy) to try them out and return if they don't work.

EDIT: crinacle has a recent thread where he compares the M50 and HFI-580, which might be helpful: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/556509/battle-of-the-entry-level-rivals-ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-audio-technica-m50-vs-pro700-mk2

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #4,346 of 29,490
Hi

I'm currently searching for a good pair of Headphone with a budget ~200$. I mostly want to use them to listen to 
EDM such as Trance, PsyTrance. I also love a bit of everything else including classical and guitar stuff. 

Can someone point me out what shall I start to look at ?
Thanks a lot for your help

paxl13

ps: I'm happy to have found this forum because I would have foked out too much cash for the Bose Around Ear ( I mean bang for buck )
ps2: I don't really care If I need a headphone amp or not.. I will decide later on so If possible with and without
ps3: It's going to be used with a mp3 player on the go and computers mostly...

Thanks again

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #4,347 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, pretty new here (old account for some reason O.o) and I'm looking for some headphones.

I want a pretty flat response, no emphasising any frequencies because I want to use them for mixing music and tracking guitars away from any monitors. Mostly they will be used for music on my MacBook Pro and iPhone, so needing only a small, portable amp or no amp at all will be the ideal.

Summed up:

Budget: AU$200 - AU$500 including amp.

Music: Hardstyle, a bit of hardcore techno/dance but mostly prog metal, jazz, djent and rock. Also used for tracking and mixing music, not professionally.

Amp: None, but I'm looking for suggestions for this as I very much intend to get one.

Source: MacBook Pro and iPhone 4 at home and at University and Xbox 360 via adapter.

A longish cord, preferably coiled and detachable is preferred also durability is a must. I'm looking to buy online as I'm on a budget. But I will make the rounds through the limited amount of local Hi-Fi shops to try them out in person.

I've used HD280s for recording and mixing for quite a while and they're excellent. Their sound is very balanced and quite uncolored; this makes them great for recording but can come to feel a little bit lifeless to some ears (including mine) for recreational listening. YMMV. They really do provide almost total isolation, which is kinda important if you're working away from a controlled environment like a studio. They're pretty sturdy, too, although throwing them across the room because you just fouled up your guitar part cannot in good conscience be recommended...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #4,348 of 29,490
Hi. First time poster here.

I'm interested in buying a pair of full size Hi-Fi headphones for listening music on my PC. I mostly listen to metal, and bass-heavy rock (grunge, stoner rock, etc). I've searched far and wide for something that fits my budget, and I've narrowed it down to Pioneer SE-M290, and the Sennheiser HD203. I'm leaning more towards the Pioneer's though, since I've heard a lot of people complain about how uncomfortable the Sennheiser's are, especially to people with large heads, which I am. However, I'm a bit concerned about the Pioneer's as well, because the material they're made of seems to be really cheap, and I'm thinking they could break pretty easily.
Does anyone have any experience with either the Pioneer SE-M290 or the Sennheiser HD203, and if so, what is your opinion of them? Also, what other headphones would you recommend in the same price range?

Another thing I want to know is how good will these headphones sound on an onboard soundcard? I currently have a Realtek HD Audio, and I'm wondering how well it will handle the Hi-Fi sound.

Thanks.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #4,349 of 29,490
Hello I want to get full size headphones but I do not know what to look for. I want something that I will carry around with me and sound great with a mixture or rock/metal and hip-hop/rap, my budget is around 250 and the source is an iphone. I was looking into the beats studios and sennheiser HD598. I tried the studios and I liked them but I am no expert and many reviews were low, I have never tried the 598 some said it looks quirky in person and the 10ft cord seems to be a turn down.
So what would be some good options for me?
Thanks!

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #4,350 of 29,490
Hello all, I'm looking for some quick help and a suggestion on what to buy for my dads birthday/fathers day coming up. As I really do not know much about headphones, any help is welcomed.

So a few weeks ago he was on a flight home from Vegas and ended up sitting next to a pro basketball player who happened to be wearing Beats Studios. They got to talking and he somehow ended up trying on the dudes headphones. Of course he comes home raving about how great they were and how they drowned out all of the outside noise in the plane. So he tells me this is what he wants for his gift, prompting me to quickly decline and inform him that a 50 year old white business man wearing those would be absolutely ridiculous and that I would research some comparable alternatives.

So simply that is what I am looking for. Noise cancelation quality close to the beats or Bose quiet comforts, but a look much closer to the Bose. $200 is really the highest I want to spend, and I really just want the best quality I can get for at or under that amount, that also will not look ridiculous on a grown man. The audio source he will be using is wither an iPod, iPad, or laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back