++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 20, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #4,126 of 29,490
Quote:
Here's another question..... here's two AT cans ten bucks apart in price.   Anyone have any comments on why you would buy one over the other?

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ESW9A-Portable-Wooden-Headphones/dp/B002FTIDQC/ref=lh_ni_t

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00070GXBS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A13BNE3P7C8THK

They're quite different.  The AD900 is an open design with no isolation and meant for home use and the ESW9a is a portable design which is closed for a bit of isolation.

May 20, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #4,127 of 29,490
Are there any clones out there of the K702 signature I can try? How similar is the MDR-SA5000 to the K702? I imagine the mids are just not as good.
The treble of the SA5000 scares me, but maybe it needs a ton of burn-in first just like the K702?

The frequency graph of the SA5000 makes the mids look severely recessed, but that really couldn't be the case..or could it?

Is it just me or is there not enough open headphones in the $300-$500 price range?

May 20, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #4,128 of 29,490
Quote:
Are there any clones out there of the K702 signature I can try? How similar is the MDR-SA5000 to the K702? I imagine the mids are just not as good.
The treble of the SA5000 scares me, but maybe it needs a ton of burn-in first just like the K702?

The frequency graph of the SA5000 makes the mids look severely recessed, but that really couldn't be the case..or could it?

Is it just me or is there not enough open headphones in the $300-$500 price range?

They are bright but the treble is notched in the ear piercing resonance regions so it doesn't hurt like a lot of other bright 'phones.  The mids are ok.  They're fairly neutral.  Neither warm nor cold IIRC.

IMO they're fine as long as you stay away from music with much bass.  I really liked the soundstaging and imaging too.

Not much experience with the 701/702 though.

May 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #4,129 of 29,490

Quote:
The HD 558 HP, are better than the HD 595?

Might as well just get the 558 and mod them (remove the foam tape) into a 598.

Quote:
Question about the

Audio-Technica ATH-AD900

- Can these be driven ok by an iPod or similar player?  Yeah, I know...headphone amps are great.   But would these work for casual listening w/o an amp?

Thanks for any comments.

It'll be just fine out of an ipod.

May 20, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #4,130 of 29,490
I just got a pair of JVC FA-RX700's, I'm quite dissapointed in their performance there's almost no bass and the mid-high's hurt my ears after about 10 mins of listening.

I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones... I'm wondering what I should be looking for? I want some strong bass.

I've seen headphones that take batteries, do they perform better? or can an amp take care of that?

May 21, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #4,132 of 29,490
Hello,
I am going to improve my sound system at my pc. At the moment I have only on-board sound card and Logitech X-230. I've been reading reviews and comments for a long time and I was decided to buy ATH-M50 but then I came into some supplier's problems and they are not as cheap in Europe as in USA so it made me rethink this. I'm looking for an all-rounder which will be used for movies, music and a little for gaming. My goal is to get best sound possible for budget approximately 400€(550$). I have no interest in buying used because there is a 2-year mandatory warranty in EU for new stuff and most of second hand offers are from overseas anyway).Headphones will be occasionaly used for listening to music from mine cell phone(which is said to have a decent 3,5mm line out) but that is not so important.

After I read some nice reviews I am thinking about getting Asus Xonar Essence ST(X) (150€) which has a built-in headphone amp. Or perhaps I will read some reviews of Auzentech sound cards first(Xonar has only digital 7.1 out, analog 5.1 might be useful somewhen in the future :)). I am not so much fan of external amplifiers. I have a lot of junk around my pc already. Will it be a big difference between this built-in amp and an 100€ external one? But I would have to buy a cheaper sound card then.. External audio DAC would be probably unsuitable because as far as I know most of them are not well compatible with games.

Regarding headphones.. I like balanced sound, nice vocals but some basses also(mainly because of movies, no need to be overbassed). I read that M50s have recessed mids. I was also thinking of Beyer's DT880. I need some sound isolation cause there is often used another notebook in the room which is kind of noisy when it vents out hot air. I also like to watch movies in night what could possibly be disturbing with open headph. to others. I like that Bayers with velur earpads, they are half-open, I hope that could be enough. However they are quite big, that would make them uncomfortable for watching movies in bed. But I'm mostly concerned about sound quality so perhaps you could recommend other headphones.. I have read o lot of reviews about different hadphones that are very good but they lack basses. For example ATH-A700... Can basses there be enhanced (perhaps with software EQ) and would they sound well then? I listen to all kinds of music and I watch a lot of movies in which I like punchy basses. They however shouldn't supress mids or other frequencies.

Every idea will be appreciated. Thanks

May 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #4,134 of 29,490

Quote:
I just got a pair of JVC FA-RX700's, I'm quite dissapointed in their performance there's almost no bass and the mid-high's hurt my ears after about 10 mins of listening.

I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones... I'm wondering what I should be looking for? I want some strong bass.

I've seen headphones that take batteries, do they perform better? or can an amp take care of that?

Usually, batteries in headphone are for some noise cancelling system. Some headphones need an amp, others sound good without. I'd say, most headphones above ~170$ need one, but you'll need to search the forum to be sure about one particular model.
For strong bass, people around here usually recommend the M50's (Audio Technica) or the HFI780 (ultrasone, with VERY strong bass from what I understood), or Beyer DT770 80 or 250 (250ohm having the stronger bass), so you should check the threads here about these.

May 21, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #4,135 of 29,490
Hey I have a question on the JVC HA-RX700 vs the Samson SR850. I've seen posts on here saying that these are pretty much the best budget headphones, even against more expensive ones. I was wondering if anyone had both or listened to both and could tell me which they liked better. Thanks.

May 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #4,136 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey I have a question on the JVC HA-RX700 vs the Samson SR850. I've seen posts on here saying that these are pretty much the best budget headphones, even against more expensive ones. I was wondering if anyone had both or listened to both and could tell me which they liked better. Thanks.

I had the RX900s, and I can say they were very good budget headphones.  They're really dorky looking in comparison to the Samson's, but if that's no consequence then definitely go for the JVCs.

Also, I'm thinking of getting the LCD-2s paired with the Schiit Lyr, using my Nuforce as a DAC to upgrade from my Denon/Nuforce combo.  What think ye, Head-fi?

May 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #4,137 of 29,490
Got my Audio Technica AD700's yesterday and gave them about 30 minutes of listening. They are certainly more transparent and spacious then my HD280's that's fir sure, and the bass is reasonable (but I'm not a bass head so YMMV.

The treble seemed a bit exaggerated, but that might be just my ears adapting to the absence of the Sennheiser "veil". And the E5 amp may not have been the best match, either. Tonight I'm going to give my Total Bithead a try, and probably the headphone out of my amp (Cambridge 540v2).

Do headphones need to burn in? Unlike a lot of other components, I can imagine that they might, to work the drivers in. Should I hook them up to my iMac and start from "A" and go to "Z" through my 90 days or whatever Of music?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

May 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #4,139 of 29,490
I had the RX900s, and I can say they were very good budget headphones.  They're really dorky looking in comparison to the Samson's, but if that's no consequence then definitely go for the JVCs.

Also, I'm thinking of getting the LCD-2s paired with the Schiit Lyr, using my Nuforce as a DAC to upgrade from my Denon/Nuforce combo.  What think ye, Head-fi?

from what i read, the LCD-2/Lyr is a very good combo, it's only $1500 too. it's a bargain considering what you're getting. i'm thinking of getting it for myself as a home setup a bit later once i have the space for it.

May 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #4,140 of 29,490

Quote:
Do headphones need to burn in? Unlike a lot of other components, I can imagine that they might, to work the drivers in. Should I hook them up to my iMac and start from "A" and go to "Z" through my 90 days or whatever Of music?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Any new piece of audio equipment with drivers - and apparently tubes, but I have little experience with those - requires about a day of burn-in.  There was a chart posted somewhere that showed the decibel difference from out-of-box to 50+ hours of burn in for a pair of AKG-K702s, and the significant difference stopped after about 24 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back