++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #4,052 of 29,490

Quote:

I guess I was hesitant to try the 770's because so many people were saying that they were muddy. 

80 ohm DT770 are worse than muddy.  On top of having no definition, the bass hits with such force that I had to pick my eyeballs off the table everything else is overshadowed, except the treble, which is so metallic and harsh that it literally hurt whenever a cymbal hit.  And that is at low volume.  250 and 600 ohm DT770 are reputed to be much more balanced.

May 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #4,053 of 29,490
I enjoyed them ;~; I guess my being a basshead had something to do with that. I dun no. I wish I'd had more time with the 80 Ohm version. I hate the off chance that someone takes a suggestion and regrets it.

Quote:
80 ohm DT770 are worse than muddy.  On top of having no definition, the bass hits with such force that I had to pick my eyeballs off the table everything else is overshadowed, except the treble, which is so metallic and harsh that it literally hurt whenever a cymbal hit.  And that is at low volume.  250 and 600 ohm DT770 are reputed to be much more balanced.

May 17, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #4,054 of 29,490

Quote:
First time poster here, so hello everyone
biggrin.gif

I am looking for my first decent headphones. Price range is around 120-170 EUR. So far I took a closer look at:

1. Sennheiser HD598
  2. Audio Technica M50
  3. Beyer DT 770

I am mostly listening to diffrent kinds of metal (Slayer, Machine Head, Paradise Lost, NIN) + some hip-hop from time to time. I like a bit of bass, but not that much as probally someone who listents mostly to techno etc will like. Cans will be used 99% of the time in home connected to laptop (DAC/Amp probally will be added pretty soon, probally week or 2 after headphones, any directions here would be also appriciated, 100 EUR range - E7?). From the mentioned models I had chance to listen to briefly to HD598 only, but noise around (some big market :-/) + probally low quality source didnt let me fully enjoy the sound from those. Good isolation would also be a big plus as it sometimes pretty loud outside my appartment. I dont mind looks at all. All suggestions will be appriciated.

EDIT: Forgot to add - cans will be used for movies and gaming.

It's very difficult to get good soundstage and isolation together. Are you a casual gamer or a competitive one?

The 770 has the best isolation of the ones you've listed (and actually is one of the best isolating of any headphone out there), but it also wants an amp to sounds its best as a laptop may not have enough power to even get loud levels out of it.

The M50 is a safe choice and plays reasonably well across a lot of genres and is easy to drive.

Quote:
I'm interested in picking up a set of closed cans for listening mainly out of a desktop and laptop.  I listen to some electropop, trance, house, and a bit of metal and rock as well.  I'd like something with deep lows but want to avoid anything too overpowering.  They will be used for college dorm listening which is why I'm mainly considering closed at this time.  

After a good amount of research I'm currently trying to decide between the M Audio Q40 ($115) and the Shure SRH440(found a pair for ~$60).  I was also considering the ATH-M50 but prices have shot up to around $160 and I just can't justify spending that much at this point, especially after reading that the Q40 is very comparable.  I know the Q40 has considerably more bass than the SRH440 but is the Shure going to disappoint for my favorite genres?  I'd also consider buying a cheaper amp like the CMoy to start off if it would help.

I figure eventually I'll end up getting a DAC for laptop listening, but that will be later on down the line.  That being said, which of these headphones would be best for me?  Feel free to suggest some other headphones as well.  Also, would an amp like the CMoy benefit the Q40 or SRH440?     

Thanks.

I say go with the Q40. It has a fantastic deep end that works well with your genres. I have a review (check my profile) that compares the Q40 vs the M50 and Shure 840.

An amp definitely benefits the Q40 and brings it up quite dramatically. The Q40 is quite sensitive, so if you're building a cmoy don't go too high with the gain.

May 17, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #4,055 of 29,490
The Sennheisers, since you mention the movies and games.  They are good all arounders.  For the faster stuff like the metal, they will be pretty good (not Grado good, but good.)

Quote:
First time poster here, so hello everyone
biggrin.gif

I am looking for my first decent headphones. Price range is around 120-170 EUR. So far I took a closer look at:

1. Sennheiser HD598
  2. Audio Technica M50
  3. Beyer DT 770

I am mostly listening to diffrent kinds of metal (Slayer, Machine Head, Paradise Lost, NIN) + some hip-hop from time to time. I like a bit of bass, but not that much as probally someone who listents mostly to techno etc will like. Cans will be used 99% of the time in home connected to laptop (DAC/Amp probally will be added pretty soon, probally week or 2 after headphones, any directions here would be also appriciated, 100 EUR range - E7?). From the mentioned models I had chance to listen to briefly to HD598 only, but noise around (some big market :-/) + probally low quality source didnt let me fully enjoy the sound from those. Good isolation would also be a big plus as it sometimes pretty loud outside my appartment. I dont mind looks at all. All suggestions will be appriciated.

EDIT: Forgot to add - cans will be used for movies and gaming.

May 18, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #4,056 of 29,490
Greetings.  I need help.  My roommate had a pair of MDR-7506 cans that he let me use.  Three years later when I get my own place I return them.  Turns out, those are some serious cans and my $20 Plantronic PC headset isn't going to cut the mustard.  I use them for music; mp3s, Rdio.com streaming, iPhone 3GS (if it matters, my soundcard is an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum).  I also used and loved them with my Blackstar guitar amp which has native headphone out, and they worked beautifully with my Eleven-Rack guitar amp modeler.  Now I'm hunting to get something of my own, and also am very, very interested in something that will gel well with an Astro Mixamp.

I've been doing research on this site and Headroom.com, cross-referencing with Amazon reviews and I'm really overwhelmed.  At various points I've been interested in modding Sennheiser HD555 -> 595, Audio Technica AD700 or M50, and just now I was about to pull the trigger on some AKG K271 MKII on Amazon for $156.  I'm also lost on whether nicer headphones require or just benefit from headphone amps.  All in all, the one firm thing I've decided is that they have to be close-backed so I can wear them on mass transit without being rude.

What I would want is something that does justice when playing my guitar, sounds good when listening to music, sound good for videogames (console and PC) and movies, including if I snag that Mixamp later.  Originally I wanted to keep this to $100 or under, but I can stretch to around $150 or so.  As I've read, the 7506 are considered a "flat" sound with little coloration so if I could get the next level up version of that I would be happy.  Between M50 and K271 which would come closest to scratching my itch, and are there others I should be looking at instead?

Thanks so much for any input you have, some of the threads on this forum are intimidating and I'm dying without good sounds for almost two months now!

May 18, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #4,057 of 29,490

i would like to get a mp3 player for my dj1 pro.

is the a845 or cowon s9 better for hip-hop / rap, more bassy mp3 player.

Or any other mp3 player are better?

It is iphone or any apple product wouldn't drive the dj1 pro?

May 18, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #4,058 of 29,490
I think the DJ1 Pro should have an amp behind it no matter what, but I'd go for a player that's got good EQ options rather than a colored sound.

Quote:

May 18, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #4,059 of 29,490

Quote:
Greetings.  I need help.  My roommate had a pair of MDR-7506 cans that he let me use.  Three years later when I get my own place I return them.  Turns out, those are some serious cans and my $20 Plantronic PC headset isn't going to cut the mustard.  I use them for music; mp3s, Rdio.com streaming, iPhone 3GS (if it matters, my soundcard is an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum).  I also used and loved them with my Blackstar guitar amp which has native headphone out, and they worked beautifully with my Eleven-Rack guitar amp modeler.  Now I'm hunting to get something of my own, and also am very, very interested in something that will gel well with an Astro Mixamp.

I've been doing research on this site and Headroom.com, cross-referencing with Amazon reviews and I'm really overwhelmed.  At various points I've been interested in modding Sennheiser HD555 -> 595, Audio Technica AD700 or M50, and just now I was about to pull the trigger on some AKG K271 MKII on Amazon for $156.  I'm also lost on whether nicer headphones require or just benefit from headphone amps.  All in all, the one firm thing I've decided is that they have to be close-backed so I can wear them on mass transit without being rude.

What I would want is something that does justice when playing my guitar, sounds good when listening to music, sound good for videogames (console and PC) and movies, including if I snag that Mixamp later.  Originally I wanted to keep this to $100 or under, but I can stretch to around $150 or so.  As I've read, the 7506 are considered a "flat" sound with little coloration so if I could get the next level up version of that I would be happy.  Between M50 and K271 which would come closest to scratching my itch, and are there others I should be looking at instead?

Thanks so much for any input you have, some of the threads on this forum are intimidating and I'm dying without good sounds for almost two months now!

The M50 are not really flat, and the K271 don't sound that great without an amp. Both are ok on the isolation though. The K271 is kinda big for portable as well, and doesn't collapse in any way. The Shure 440 has fairly flat response and does fold up, plus is easier to drive.

King of isolation in your price range would be the Sennheiser HD280. Practically an industry standard, well built, collapsible, flat response, not the greatest soundstage.

The Sony 7509 is the step up, but there are mixed reviews. I say if you were happy with the 7506, then stick with that (also look up the V6 which is basically the same thing but often cheaper).

May 18, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #4,060 of 29,490

So what player do you think best fit and drive the dj1 pro?
Quote:
I think the DJ1 Pro should have an amp behind it no matter what, but I'd go for a player that's got good EQ options rather than a colored sound.

May 18, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #4,061 of 29,490
Thanks for answers.

It's very difficult to get good soundstage and isolation together. Are you a casual gamer or a competitive one?

The 770 has the best isolation of the ones you've listed (and actually is one of the best isolating of any headphone out there), but it also wants an amp to sounds its best as a laptop may not have enough power to even get loud levels out of it.

The M50 is a safe choice and plays reasonably well across a lot of genres and is easy to drive.

Regarding games - only game I play semi competitively is Starcraft 2 and sound doesnt matter that much in this, I like to play some 3D shooter from time to time tho. As I mentioned - I am planing to buy some DAC with amp soon after cans, however I thought about some cheap one like E7. Will it be enough to drive DT 770?
The Sennheisers, since you mention the movies and games.  They are good all arounders.  For the faster stuff like the metal, they will be pretty good (not Grado good, but good.)

I am almost sold on HD598 after reading forum a bit more, but more opinions and suggestions are always welcome.

May 18, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #4,062 of 29,490

Quote:

Hard, but not impossible.  I definitely miss my Beyerdynamic DT150 as the ultimate wide soundstage closed cans.  They are great closed gaming cans.

May 18, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #4,064 of 29,490

Quote:
[size=12.0pt]Hello all :D

yeah im here to ask you all which headphones would you recommend for me, that[/size]

1. [size=12.0pt]Packs good bass, does not compromise sound quality(I generally listen to trance/dance/techno more)[/size]
  2. [size=12.0pt]not too big (im bespectacled, had a headphone which pushed against my specs *uncomfortable* =X ) preferably supra-aural[/size]
  3. [size=12.0pt]Pricing lesser than 90 bucks

Im currently thinking of Sennheiser HD 202 mk II. Seems pretty awesome for 24.95 USD.(from the reviews online) Do you all have any better headphones in mind?

Thank you! :D[/size]

Hmm oh and what do you guys feel about audio technica ath Sj-55 vs koss portapros? such as in terms of sound quality and durability? Thank you!

May 18, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #4,065 of 29,490
This might help: 
http://www.headfonia.com/audio-technicas-entry-level-trio-sj11-sj33-and-sj55/

I am going to warn you though, there really isn't a whole lot of information or reviews on these headphones.  I don't think it would be a surefire thing like the Portapros.  They look like they might be better, considering you are going to be using them in the library.  In that price range, I would also suggest looking at the Beyerdynamic DT135.  They are also in your price range and have decent reviews (not to confuse you with more headphone nonsense.)

Quote:

Hmm oh and what do you guys feel about audio technica ath Sj-55 vs koss portapros? such as in terms of sound quality and durability? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back