++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #4,006 of 29,490
Greetings,

After extensive investigation and reading of the forums and sites I decided to purchase Denon - 7000, ($700). Now this is my first shot at high end headphones. I listen to mostly techno eastern european, up beat music, pop, and some rock. 

My other experiences have been...
Monster Turbine, the best sounding headphones I own.
Bose in ear, decent, and way better then anything I used previously
Sony  MDR-V700 I have had these things forever. They are great for what income I had growing up. I originally got them for 150. Once I purchased the monster turbines and realized they sounded better then these I knew I needed a better pair.

I hear I need an amplifier with these headphones. I can't tell the difference between the higher quality ones to the 50-100 buck ones. Is the price really worth what you get? I would appreciate some help on this. Also should I upgrade my sound card for these? I can do it on my home computer, my work one... well Ill just have to use the amp.

May 16, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #4,007 of 29,490
Hey all,

I'm looking to replace my ATH A700's. Headphones I have in mind are:
Grado SR225i
AKG 701
Sennheiser HD650

I really think I might like the sound signature of the grados and the senns. In my limited experience with headphones I've found that a dark signature appeals to me (the senns), and the mid-centric grado sound sounds great too. Bass isn't THAT much of a big deal for me, but I do like a bit of a thump.
I also need a suitable amp. I would prefer the amp to be cheap (obviously) and portable, as I intend to use it for both home use and any IEMs which i will definitely purchase in the near future. At the same time, I need the amp to be adequate enough for the headphones listed above! Recommendations, corrections, rants, all welcome :)
I'd like to the set-up to be under $500 in total.

Music tastes:
Post-Rock 
Alt. Rock
Electronic

Thanks for reading and somebody please get back to me soon!

May 16, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #4,008 of 29,490
Hi guys I'm looking for a pair of headphones or in ears that cost around £100?
I listen to mostly rock and I travel quite a lot, flying, buses, trains and stuff. They don't have to fold up and stuff. Isolation is important and sound is my top priority. I've been searching around the thread and I've seen suggestions for the m50, grado sr60 and sr80, akgk271, sennheiser hd555 and the denon d1100.

Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated!

May 16, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #4,010 of 29,490
IMO none of those have enough isolation if you travel a lot...ESPECIALLY not the Grados. The Grados, Senn 555 would greatly disturb the people around you, and don't block sound at all. The M50 has alright isolation, but not enough for planes, IMO. Can't comment too much on the D1100 and 271, as I have not heard them.

I'd look for used Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs. They're great all rounders, durable as a tank, and they have excellent isolation.

Quote:
Hi guys I'm looking for a pair of headphones or in ears that cost around £100?
I listen to mostly rock and I travel quite a lot, flying, buses, trains and stuff. They don't have to fold up and stuff. Isolation is important and sound is my top priority. I've been searching around the thread and I've seen suggestions for the m50, grado sr60 and sr80, akgk271, sennheiser hd555 and the denon d1100.

Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated!

May 16, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #4,012 of 29,490

The 25-1 IIs are superior to the SPs. It's been awhile since I was in the market for either of them, but I believe they use inferior drivers, along with the headband being different. Don't quote me on that though, like I said, been awhile.

The 25-1 IIs go for around 200 USD brand new. You should be able to find a used one in your price range here on Head-Fi. I'm seeing them for £150 on Amazon. Little out of range new, but like I said, try to find a used one. They're great headphones for travel because of the isolation.

EDIT: Post a wanted add in the For Sale forums when you decide what you want. Always worth a shot.
Quote:
Whew, thanks! I've seen the HD 25's earlier on, I've also seen the 25 sp's as well. The difference? How much are the HD 25's going for? They vary online.

May 16, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #4,014 of 29,490
The 25-1 IIs are superior to the SPs. It's been awhile since I was in the market for either of them, but I believe they use inferior drivers, along with the headband being different. Don't quote me on that though, like I said, been awhile.

The 25-1 IIs go for around 200 USD brand new. You should be able to find a used one in your price range here on Head-Fi. I'm seeing them for £150 on Amazon. Little out of range new, but like I said, try to find a used one. They're great headphones for travel because of the isolation.

EDIT: Post a wanted add in the For Sale forums when you decide what you want. Always worth a shot.

Uhm, do I really have to wait 30 days to be able to post in the for sale forums?

May 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #4,015 of 29,490
I guess. I'm not too sure what the criteria is...I never tried to sell before I was long past 1 month.

Here's a used one on Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000TDZOXG/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used Do some more research though to make sure it's the right one for you. They'd be my choice for travel, but there's always other options out there.

Quote:
Quote:

Uhm, do I really have to wait 30 days to be able to post in the for sale forums?

May 16, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #4,016 of 29,490

The Senn H5xx series is a good starting point. The 595 was on sale through Amazon recently. The newer 558/598 have been getting good reviews, but cost more than the 555/595. These cans are relatively easy to drive, and will improve as you give them more power. One step up would be the 600/650, but you're into mandatory amping territory there. However, a home receiver works just as well rather than buying an expensive headphone amp. If you can find them, a used 580 is basically the same as a 600 and significantly cheaper.

Other good cans to consider: Denon D0200, Beyer DT770/880/990, Shure 840/940.

I saw the Senn 595 amazon sale last week (still ongoing?) but the very same friend whom I tried his $700+ headphone told me there's a need to get an amp together else the standalone sound isn't that good. He also mention without the amp he's afraid my noob ears might not be able to differentiate the quality of an entry and mid level cans.

Is there a typo for Denon D0200? I tried Google but no relevant search return back to me. What's the differences between Beyer DT880 and 990? The pricing seems to be pretty close and both design looks average. Not much reviews on the Shure 940 yet.

My local forum is on hype for Superlux "Giant Killer" HD668B at US $50 within this last 2 weeks. They're comparing to semi-big cans and concluded for that pricing, best value for someone new to audiophiles can get. Do you have any first hand experience on this can?

May 16, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #4,017 of 29,490
Allright!

Thanks again (very much!) for all the help, Armaegis!

Stefano

Quote:

In terms of pure power, probably not.

May 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #4,018 of 29,490
For a great sounding, comfortable set of over-the-ear phones, I would suggest the Sony MDR-ZX700. If you are a basshead, they won't fit you well. Otherwise, they are great. You can buy the pair I got as a gift here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004P150LY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

May 16, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #4,019 of 29,490

Quote:
Greetings,

After extensive investigation and reading of the forums and sites I decided to purchase Denon - 7000, ($700). Now this is my first shot at high end headphones. I listen to mostly techno eastern european, up beat music, pop, and some rock. 

My other experiences have been...
Monster Turbine, the best sounding headphones I own.
Bose in ear, decent, and way better then anything I used previously
Sony  MDR-V700 I have had these things forever. They are great for what income I had growing up. I originally got them for 150. Once I purchased the monster turbines and realized they sounded better then these I knew I needed a better pair.

I hear I need an amplifier with these headphones. I can't tell the difference between the higher quality ones to the 50-100 buck ones. Is the price really worth what you get? I would appreciate some help on this. Also should I upgrade my sound card for these? I can do it on my home computer, my work one... well Ill just have to use the amp.

That's a great price for the D7000. Was it a sale?

In general, the Denons are pretty easy to drive. If you're satisfied with the sound, no need to upgrade. You can always use a home receiver for power.

Quote:
Hey all,

I'm looking to replace my ATH A700's. Headphones I have in mind are:
Grado SR225i
AKG 701
Sennheiser HD650

I really think I might like the sound signature of the grados and the senns. In my limited experience with headphones I've found that a dark signature appeals to me (the senns), and the mid-centric grado sound sounds great too. Bass isn't THAT much of a big deal for me, but I do like a bit of a thump.
I also need a suitable amp. I would prefer the amp to be cheap (obviously) and portable, as I intend to use it for both home use and any IEMs which i will definitely purchase in the near future. At the same time, I need the amp to be adequate enough for the headphones listed above! Recommendations, corrections, rants, all welcome :)
I'd like to the set-up to be under $500 in total.

Music tastes:
Post-Rock 
Alt. Rock
Electronic

Thanks for reading and somebody please get back to me soon!

Skip the K701 and HD650, they need a bit more juice and the amp you'd want for those wouldn't really be suitable for iems. The grado and iems are perfectly fine out of an mp3 player and you won't need an amp.

Quote:
I saw the Senn 595 amazon sale last week (still ongoing?) but the very same friend whom I tried his $700+ headphone told me there's a need to get an amp together else the standalone sound isn't that good. He also mention without the amp he's afraid my noob ears might not be able to differentiate the quality of an entry and mid level cans.

Is there a typo for Denon D0200? I tried Google but no relevant search return back to me. What's the differences between Beyer DT880 and 990? The pricing seems to be pretty close and both design looks average. Not much reviews on the Shure 940 yet.

My local forum is on hype for Superlux "Giant Killer" HD668B at US $50 within this last 2 weeks. They're comparing to semi-big cans and concluded for that pricing, best value for someone new to audiophiles can get. Do you have any first hand experience on this can?

It's the 600/650/800 that really need an amp to bring them up to appreciable levels. The 595 will be just fine without one, though adding one later will show improvement.

Oops, that should be D2000, not D0200.

The DT770 is the fully closed version, the 880 is semi-open, and the 990 is open (though really it's still kinda semi). The differences between the 880/990 aren't huge, read up on that big 770/880/990 comparison thread for opinions.

I haven't heard any of the Superlux so can't comment on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back