++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 15, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #3,961 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks, so would the Ibasso D6  be good at driving all of these cans?   The Beyer 880 32, 250, or 600 ohm?  K701? D2000? 598? AT AD900

It will be just fine for the 598, D2000, AD900,and DT880 32/250. The DT880/600 and K701 will be fine at all except the loudest levels.

May 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #3,962 of 29,490
I have the HD 202s and they really don't have that much bass or impact.  Portapros will leave you MUCH more satisfied.  Hell, you could also get the Grado SR-60i, but some people disagree about the bass.

Quote:
[size=12.0pt]Hello all :D

yeah im here to ask you all which headphones would you recommend for me, that[/size]

1. [size=12.0pt]Packs good bass, does not compromise sound quality(I generally listen to trance/dance/techno more)[/size]
  2. [size=12.0pt]not too big (im bespectacled, had a headphone which pushed against my specs *uncomfortable* =X ) preferably supra-aural[/size]
  3. [size=12.0pt]Pricing lesser than 90 bucks

Im currently thinking of Sennheiser HD 202 mk II. Seems pretty awesome for 24.95 USD.(from the reviews online) Do you all have any better headphones in mind?

Thank you! :D[/size]

May 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #3,963 of 29,490
Hi everbody,

I'm quite new in this world of expensive headphones :)

I'm actually considering buying a new headphones (for home) for <1000$. One thing is sure that my portable headphone will be the Ultrasone 780.

I mostly listen to rock music (post-rock band like Explosions in the Sky, This will destroy You, Mono, Caspian...), metal music (mostly sludge metal like Baroness, Cult of Luna, Rosetta, Kylesa...), some electro-ambient (Boards of Canada, Dextro, Helios...) and Orchestral music (OST from games, films...).
So that's a lot of kinds of music style that cover all the spectra for a headphones.
I like when there is bass (but not too overpowered though), and when mids and highs are clear. So I made an extended search over the internet and on this forum to find what headphones could satisfy my ears. So far, this is my selection :
- Denon D5000/D7000
- Hifiman HE5/HE5-LE/HE6
- ATH-W1000X
- Grado GS1000

D5000 and D7000 are my top choice for the moment (depending on my bank account :)), but I'm not sure of the perfect headphones for me.

Thanks for you advices and/or recommandations !

May 15, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #3,964 of 29,490
I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on what headset to get.
I have read way too many reviews the past few days and am really lost now.

- budget max $250 (I live in the Netherlands, roughly translates to €250)
- open or closed full size headphones
- will be used with iPad, iPhone and sometimes iMac
- I listen mostly to electronic (techno, trance, etc) and rap music

I'm looking for low tight punchy bass but well rounded and a fresh sound. But not overly clean, I'm not an audiophile :)
The Sennheiser HD598 is on the top op my list right now.

May 15, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #3,965 of 29,490

Hello all! This is my first post and since I did not see an introduction board I thought I would jump right in! Firstly I would like to say I love your forums, incredibly informative and full very passionate audiophiles from what I can tell. I am new to the world of audio and am out to learn as much as I can. I've exhausted the search function and read a lot of similar and relevant threads however they don't fit my exact purpose or are outdated.

Now on to my post...I am an avid gamer currently studying game programming. So visual quality is very important to me, and in my experience most gamers seem to just go for visuals and neglect the sound aspect of gaming. Well audio quality is extremely important to me for a total gaming experience, I also must have a quality music experience. I mainly listen to hip-hop, techno/electric. I love trance and really bass intensive music. I have a gaming laptop but like most laptops the audio is lacking, I'm considering a USB sound card. My laptop has an integrated microphone so I am just looking for a nice pair of headphones. I will also be using them with my iPod wherever I go, so style is important, granted it's the least important but still a factor! My budget for this is 0-400$.

To sum up the key points, I am looking for a nice pair of headphones and possibly accessories like an amp or USB soundcard for:

Gaming:

Positional awareness

Realistic sound

Music:

Rich bass

Great for techno/hip-hop/electric

Style:

Just nothing goofy looking!

As of now I am considering Ultrasone Pro 650's unless someone has better recommendations.

May 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #3,966 of 29,490
Perhaps the Denon AH-D2000 or the slightly lower AH-D1100?

Quote:

Hello all! This is my first post and since I did not see an introduction board I thought I would jump right in! Firstly I would like to say I love your forums, incredibly informative and full very passionate audiophiles from what I can tell. I am new to the world of audio and am out to learn as much as I can. I've exhausted the search function and read a lot of similar and relevant threads however they don't fit my exact purpose or are outdated.

Now on to my post...I am an avid gamer currently studying game programming. So visual quality is very important to me, and in my experience most gamers seem to just go for visuals and neglect the sound aspect of gaming. Well audio quality is extremely important to me for a total gaming experience, I also must have a quality music experience. I mainly listen to hip-hop, techno/electric. I love trance and really bass intensive music. I have a gaming laptop but like most laptops the audio is lacking, I'm considering a USB sound card. My laptop has an integrated microphone so I am just looking for a nice pair of headphones. I will also be using them with my iPod wherever I go, so style is important, granted it's the least important but still a factor! My budget for this is 0-400$.

To sum up the key points, I am looking for a nice pair of headphones and possibly accessories like an amp or USB soundcard for:

Gaming:

Positional awareness

Realistic sound

Music:

Rich bass

Great for techno/hip-hop/electric

Style:

Just nothing goofy looking!

As of now I am considering Ultrasone Pro 650's unless someone has better recommendations.

May 15, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #3,967 of 29,490
You will be pretty disappointed with the HD 59x series without an amp.  I have an HD 595 and I love its bass, but it definitely needs an amp, otherwise there really isn't any bass.  A Fiio E5 would do, and is pretty cheap though.

Quote:
I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on what headset to get.
I have read way too many reviews the past few days and am really lost now.

- budget max $250 (I live in the Netherlands, roughly translates to €250)
- open or closed full size headphones
- will be used with iPad, iPhone and sometimes iMac
- I listen mostly to electronic (techno, trance, etc) and rap music

I'm looking for low tight punchy bass but well rounded and a fresh sound. But not overly clean, I'm not an audiophile
smily_headphones1.gif

The Sennheiser HD598 is on the top op my list right now.

May 15, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #3,968 of 29,490
Hello all,

Needed some quality headphones to work well enough with an iPhone 4, but not too pricey as travel alot!

Needed to be be mini on-ear, excellent sound quality, good phone mic and music remote, and look good too.

Not the Bose - boring sound

Not the Dre Beats - marketing con without good sound quality

So was left with Klipsch Image One or AKG Q460.

Have chosen the Q460's as alot of reviews state very little sound leakage, prefer the single cable, the mic works far better than the Klipsch, and the overall sound quality seems to be better.

Paid a tenner more to buy direct from AKG direct, but worth it forthe help and great personal customer service I have received.

Just impatient to get them now!

Shall I burn them in? What MP3 file is best to use for burning

Will post again when have any results using them.

May 15, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #3,970 of 29,490
Hey!

I've been looking for great < $60 headphones and What.CD sent me here. I'd pay more, but my parents think that if I buy an expensive pair they could get destroyed by my rabid sisters or my dog and it would be devastating to replace them, haha. Specifically, I'm looking for:

Price Range: $0-$60 (not much more, please)
Genres: Jazz, hip-hop, classical, indie rock
Type: Circumaural
Audio Filetypes: FLAC and V0
Audio Sorce: My Hard Drive, and occasionally my iPhone
Durability: Not required - don't plan on taking these out of the house too much
Headphones I've been considering: Sennheiser HD 515's, 428's, and KOSS Pro3aa

Please let me know what you think of the can's I'm considering - which you'd recommend. I really want to be able to hear that extra something in my FLACs. :)

May 15, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #3,971 of 29,490

i decide to get a headphone.

i used to listen to rap and hip-hop music.

i look thru the forum, and i found some headphone that might be good for rap and hip-hop.

i like it to have more bass and the sound quality are good. Also their noise cancellation quality.

phiaton ms400

v-moda crossfade

shure 750dj

ultrasone dj1 pro

bose qc15

Or do any one have other advise?

May 15, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #3,972 of 29,490
I ALWAYS suggest an amp whenever you are getting a pair of quality headphones.  If nothing else, grab yourself a cheap Fiio E5.  They are like $17 off Amazon and you will not regret it.  When you get them both, listen with and without the amp and you will know why I suggested it.

Quote:
Love the headphones you recommended, I'm reading reviews on them now. Do you think that I would need a USB soundcard or amp to properly enjoy these?

May 15, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #3,973 of 29,490
Try the Portapros, they are really fun and for under $35 they are just great overall.

Quote:
Hey!

I've been looking for great < $60 headphones and What.CD sent me here. I'd pay more, but my parents think that if I buy an expensive pair they could get destroyed by my rabid sisters or my dog and it would be devastating to replace them, haha. Specifically, I'm looking for:

Price Range: $0-$60 (not much more, please)
Genres: Jazz, hip-hop, classical, indie rock
Type: Circumaural
Audio Filetypes: FLAC and V0
Audio Sorce: My Hard Drive, and occasionally my iPhone
Durability: Not required - don't plan on taking these out of the house too much
Headphones I've been considering: Sennheiser HD 515's, 428's, and KOSS Pro3aa

Please let me know what you think of the can's I'm considering - which you'd recommend. I really want to be able to hear that extra something in my FLACs. :)

May 15, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #3,975 of 29,490
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a new pair of cans and I really don't know much about them so I figured I'd come here to get some advice and some suggestions. I'm a college student right now studying for the MCAT ( if you don't know what that is, it is the exam you have to take to get into med school) and I want a pair of cans to study with. I'm going to be in the dorms, library, my house and other general study places. Right now I have a pair of in ear Bose headphones that I do enjoy but I'm looking to upgrade to something that can cancel out some more noise and lets be honest has better sound quality. Since I really don't know a thing about different types of cans, I looked at the local Best Buy and was looking at the Bose noise cancel-ling headphones or the Dr Dre Beats. I've read the reviews on both of these and have heard good and bad things but I'm not really sure if this is what I'm looking for or not. Lastly, since I am in college and image is still something, they have to look "cool" or stylish (i.e. Beats). That's the back story now for important stuff:

Price: $0-$300 (just want to make sure I get my money's worth on the higher priced cans with durability, sound quality etc.
Music genres: mostly rock, classic rock, metal, alternative, some rap and some classical (so pretty much a little of everything)
Type: Looking for over the ear cause I would like something that does cancel out background noise and will help me focus on studying
Sound type: I'm looking for something that is pretty even through all ranges and has bass qualities, just nothing so extreme that it sacrifices other ranges or give a distorted sound quality 
What will power the cans: It will most likely be stuff without an amp because I want them to be portable but specifically my computer and ipod mostly but maybe my phone as well (I may look into an amp later but right now I don't have one)
Location: Dorms, library, house, airport, Starbucks etc (not the gym since I will use my in ear Bose for that)
Durability: They will have to be durable cause I will be using them daily and transporting them a lot 
Looks: Lets be honest they need to look "cool" or stylish cause I am still a college student and image is still something

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
If you need any other information just ask. 
Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back