++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 14, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #3,947 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey y'all I need your help making a decision.

I can't decide between the AT ATH-M30 or the Sony XB500.

I listen to mostly Rap/Hip-Hop so I would assume the Sony's would be a good choice.
But I really want the AT ATH-M50s but I'm waiting for the price drop, so why not get M30's to get a feel of what to expect for when I get the M50s
I would mostly use them with my ipod.

I would gladly take alternate suggestions if you feel there are better choices.

Want I want
-Over-ear
-No Amp
-All-around good sound with good bass
-Comfortable

Don't want
-On-ear
-Muddy sound
-Open cans

My budget would be $70

Hope y'all can help.

Stretch the budget by another ten bucks and get the XB700.

Quote:
Hello, hello. (Warning: This is another "I need headphones for college" post)

As stated above, I need headphones for college; and with graduation rolling around hopefully I can snake some as a graduation present.

Looking For: 
  1. Price Range: $1-150 
  2. Noise Isolating (Since I'll be in dorms, libraries, coffee shops)
  3. Decent looks 
  4. Good sound (Just in general, not picky about one area)

Thanks 
atsmile.gif

Some suggestions:
Sony V6/7506
Sony ZX700
AKG K518 or 181
Koss DJ100

Quote:
Thanks Armaegis!

But is the Phiaton bass as powerful as the Pro900s?

Stefano

In terms of pure power, probably not.

May 14, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #3,949 of 29,490
So I realized that before I get something as expensive as a high end orthodynamic or something, I should probably make sure that there aren't any unforeseen problems with running open phones, so I was thinking about something less expensive, maybe the Fostex T50 RP.  I'm also thinking about trying out Dolby headphone at the same time, and the cheapest way to do that would probably be the Turtle Beach Earforce DSS, which is why I'm also curious how tough to drive these phones are.  Does anyone have any suggestions of open phones in the same price range that work well with Dolby headphone?  Specific music genres aren't a big deal for this pair, it's mostly so I can learn things about things.  

May 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #3,950 of 29,490
Quote:
So I realized that before I get something as expensive as a high end orthodynamic or something, I should probably make sure that there aren't any unforeseen problems with running open phones, so I was thinking about something less expensive, maybe the Fostex T50 RP.  I'm also thinking about trying out Dolby headphone at the same time, and the cheapest way to do that would probably be the Turtle Beach Earforce DSS, which is why I'm also curious how tough to drive these phones are.  Does anyone have any suggestions of open phones in the same price range that work well with Dolby headphone?  Specific music genres aren't a big deal for this pair, it's mostly so I can learn things about things.  

The T50RPs are officially "semi-open" but even if you rip the the felt off the vent they still isolate a lot more than many "officially" closed 'phone like the Denon Dx000 series.  They need a fair bit of power too.  Noting insane like the HE-6 or something but quite a bit more than many devices just expecting efficient dynamic 'phones will provide.  I've never heard the DSS but from the specs it doesn't seem very strong.  Its usefulness will depend on your listening volume.  They do great with the HRTF built into ffshow that I use for movies and stuff so they should be good with DH as well.

If you want to try an open 'phone you should probably get something that's very open like the AD700s.  Most people love it with DH too.  I've never heard it, but the specs show no isolation worth noting which is on par with higher end open 'phones.

May 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #3,951 of 29,490
[size=12.0pt]Hello all :D

yeah im here to ask you all which headphones would you recommend for me, that[/size]

1. [size=12.0pt]Packs good bass, does not compromise sound quality(I generally listen to trance/dance/techno more)[/size]
  2. [size=12.0pt]not too big (im bespectacled, had a headphone which pushed against my specs *uncomfortable* =X ) preferably supra-aural[/size]
  3. [size=12.0pt]Pricing lesser than 90 bucks

Im currently thinking of Sennheiser HD 202 mk II. Seems pretty awesome for 24.95 USD.(from the reviews online) Do you all have any better headphones in mind?

Thank you! :D[/size]

May 15, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #3,952 of 29,490

Quote:
I did some searching around and got a lot of people saying they would benefit better with an amp, so I'ma skip these and go with the xb500. Thanks.

The amping requirements for most headphones is grossly overestimated. They'll sound just fine out of an ipod or soundcard.

Quote:

Are you looking for a general open headphone or orthos specifically?

Quote:
[size=12pt]Hello all :D

yeah im here to ask you all which headphones would you recommend for me, that[/size]

1. [size=12pt]Packs good bass, does not compromise sound quality(I generally listen to trance/dance/techno more)[/size]
  2. [size=12pt]not too big (im bespectacled, had a headphone which pushed against my specs *uncomfortable* =X ) preferably supra-aural[/size]
  3. [size=12pt]Pricing lesser than 90 bucks

Im currently thinking of Sennheiser HD 202 mk II. Seems pretty awesome for 24.95 USD.(from the reviews online) Do you all have any better headphones in mind?

Thank you! :D[/size]

I really like my Senn PX100-ii which I've been using over my bigger and more expensive cans.

May 15, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #3,954 of 29,490

Quote:
For right now just general open headphones.  

Here's a bunch to look into and are practically "classics" that any head-fi'er should listen to:
Audio Technica AD700
Sennheiser PX100-ii and HD555/558
Grado SR60/80 or Alessandro MS1
Koss Porta Pro

May 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #3,956 of 29,490
HI everyone,

Need some help on choosing some headphones.

Closed or Open does not matter

Budget - $150-300

Amped - I have an Ibasso D6 Amp/Dac to use the cans with

Music - I listen to a lot of Jazz, and some classic rock (Springsteen, Pink Floyd) some folk and country and a bit of classical

Open to any suggestions.  Some that I have looked into.... Senn 598, Beyer 880, Audio Technica AD900.  Any other suggestions?  

May 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #3,957 of 29,490
I'm back... xO
After reading [link=http://lifehacker.com/5800772/how-to-choose-the-perfect-pair-of-headphones]This article[/link] I did more research on the B&W P5 and there are many favorable reviews towards it, such as Jude's review.
Since I do not have the luxury of trying the HD25-ii or the P5s I'm looking for more detailed comparisons (one of the ones here said they both have their ups and downs in sound and looks).

Portability, they're supposed to both be extremely good, so I've heard.
Looks, the P5 have the advantage for me with their classy look while the HD25s are kinda lame in that sense. =/
Durability, Jude said after a year his P5s were still like new (not in that exact wording) and with the metal design I would imagine it being very durable. The HD25s are apparently also very durable.
Sound wise, people almost always favor the HD25s but are the P5s really that far behind? Either one would be for portable use for me on places like the metro/train and bus and would be used with my iPhone 4G with little music preference....
Sound isolation, both have very good reviews in this section.

As my first step into this 'higher level', would the classier P5s make up with looks what is lost in sound?

May 15, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #3,958 of 29,490

Quote:
HI everyone,

Need some help on choosing some headphones.

Closed or Open does not matter

Budget - $150-300

Amped - I have an Ibasso D6 Amp/Dac to use the cans with

Music - I listen to a lot of Jazz, and some classic rock (Springsteen, Pink Floyd) some folk and country and a bit of classical

Open to any suggestions.  Some that I have looked into.... Senn 598, Beyer 880, Audio Technica AD900.  Any other suggestions?  

Those are all good choices. Also worth considering: AKG K701, Denon D2000... just to round out your choices.

As general people pleasers, I would say the Senn 598 and Denon D2000 are the safest choices if you can't audition any of these beforehand.

Quote:
I'm back... xO
After reading [link=http://lifehacker.com/5800772/how-to-choose-the-perfect-pair-of-headphones]This article[/link] I did more research on the B&W P5 and there are many favorable reviews towards it, such as Jude's review.
Since I do not have the luxury of trying the HD25-ii or the P5s I'm looking for more detailed comparisons (one of the ones here said they both have their ups and downs in sound and looks).

Looks, the P5 have the advantage for me with their classy look while the HD25s are kinda lame in that sense. =/
Durability, Jude said after a year his P5s were still like new (not in that exact wording) and with the metal design I would imagine it being very durable. The HD25s are apparently also very durable.
Sound wise, people almost always favor the HD25s but are the P5s really that far behind? Either one would be for portable use for me on places like the metro/train and bus and would be used with my iPhone 4G with little music preference....

As my first step into this 'higher level', would the classier P5s make up with looks what is lost in sound?

The HD25 has got a lot more bite to the sound compared to the P5 which is quite smooth and relaxed. In terms of comfort, the P5 is easily the winner in my books as the HD25 clamps a bit hard for my tastes (though it does feel more secure if you're shaking about). The isolation for me is better with the P5 as well, though not dramatically so. The HD25 is definitely more rugged though, and I would worry less about scratching it.

Were they the same price, I would pick the P5. Given the price difference, pick based on sound preference or just flip a coin.
tongue.gif

May 15, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #3,959 of 29,490
As said before...I'd take the P5 if they were the same price. Although, comfort is also something to consider. The HD 25s clamped to the point that they forced me to sell them.

If you're worried about comfort, go with the P5. If you're worried about price, go with the Senns. They both sound great and I'd consider them on the same tier SQ wise.

I'd take the P5s though because the Senns to me were unwearable after 20 minutes, even though they sounded excellent.

Quote:
I'm back... xO

May 15, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #3,960 of 29,490

Thanks, so would the Ibasso D6  be good at driving all of these cans?   The Beyer 880 32, 250, or 600 ohm?  K701? D2000? 598? AT AD900

Quote:
Those are all good choices. Also worth considering: AKG K701, Denon D2000... just to round out your choices.

As general people pleasers, I would say the Senn 598 and Denon D2000 are the safest choices if you can't audition any of these beforehand.

The HD25 has got a lot more bite to the sound compared to the P5 which is quite smooth and relaxed. In terms of comfort, the P5 is easily the winner in my books as the HD25 clamps a bit hard for my tastes (though it does feel more secure if you're shaking about). The isolation for me is better with the P5 as well, though not dramatically so. The HD25 is definitely more rugged though, and I would worry less about scratching it.

Were they the same price, I would pick the P5. Given the price difference, pick based on sound preference or just flip a coin.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back