++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 13, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #3,916 of 29,490
So couple months into my HFI-580's, had some opportunity to sample some other cans (M50s, 840s, v900HD) and really loving the sound signature of the Ultrasones...so what next?  What would the next step be, looking for perhaps a bit larger soundstage and less recessed mids.  Any Ideas besides Pro 900's (which are out of budget for now.

Or should I be focusing on upgrading my source (using Xonar DG) and or modding what I got?

May 13, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #3,917 of 29,490
M50s are a good choice for that price range, also look into Ultrasone HFI-580s.  Got mine for $125 and definately love the sound for hip-hop and some rock (I like them for hard rock/metal, not so much soft/acoustic)

Quote:
So I'm finally looking to expand into full-sized headphones. My price range is going to be about a hundred bucks, but I wouldn't mind an extra twenty if they're really good. I'm a bass head so strong is bass is a must (just not those god-damn dr.dre beats). And isolation needs to be pretty good too. Mostly listenin' to rap, hip-hop, and rock, but I do go into other stuff too. Did hear some pretty good stuff about the ATH-M50s though.

So what do you guys think?

May 13, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #3,918 of 29,490

Quote:
As I suggested before, check out the AIAIAI TMA-1. IMO, they have a leg up on the 25s in terms of comfort and looks. Sound wise it's preference though. The TMA-1 are very dark.

Sorry, I missed your post earlier.  It's a good thing you posted again.  These look like a contender
L3000.gif

May 13, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #3,919 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking into the cans phones you mentioned.  Memory foam earpads on the Shure 840 sound pretty enticing.  I just wish they weren't so... cheap plastic looking?
Having trouble finding a used D2000 for $200, thought I am patient and can camp out the Sale/Buy/Trade Forum.
The Phiaton's don't look half bad but some of the amazon reviews are putting me off.
So would the Sennheiser HD25 IIs be a decent choice considering what I'm looking for?

The D2000 might be a bit higher than $200... I don't remember for certain. I've seen a D5000 go in the $300 range before.

The Senn HD25 is a fine choice. The others I listed were just the ones as far from the Grado sound signature that I could think of (closed, dark sound, etc). I find the HD25-1-ii less dark than those, but an excellent all-rounder. I personally really like the Phiaton MS400, enough that I wound up writing a rather lengthy review on it (see profile for link).

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with the Denon AH-D1100 for mainly alternative/rock, but a little jazz/classical?  I was interested in the D2000 but it's out of my budget.  I was also looking at the AT A900.  Or something different to look into? $200 budget.  Sorry to keep spamming this thread 
smile.gif

I've heard the D1001 which was a fairly solid all-round performer, if somewhat prone to heating up. There are a handful of threads comparing D1001 vs D1100 to check into.

The A900 is quite large, and has the typical Audio Technica airiness with midrange focus. Denons are flatter in response with a bass emphasis.

Quote:
Hello guys!

I've read a LOT here and really learned nice things, including the many guides around.
Unfortunately, the more I read, the less I know which headphone to buy!

I'm from Brazil, and it's really hard to get good headphones around here.
I'll be going to the US in July, and since I won't go back in North America for quite a long time, I plan on getting a really good headphone once and for all.
I actually have a Bose QuietComfort 15, but I'm not satisfied with it.

My price range is roughly 600USD, and I listenly mostly to Rock (mostly Progressive and Hard Rock, actually), Country and Techno, and rarely, Classical.
Basically, I love clear middles and trebles, but what really drives me crazy is great, thumping bass.

I mainly listen to music on my iPod and on an onboard sound card on my computer, although I know these aren't good sources.
Whenever I can, I get music to my computer on lossless formats.

Last, but not least, I will use this headphone only at home.

I've seen many recommendations for Ultrasones, some for Denon; and 100% negative reviews for Beats lol.

What would you suggest me?
Only the headphone? Or a headphone+amp?
I'd really like to get the best sound possible around my price range (US$600.00), specially focused on bass.

THANKS a lot!
Cheers from Brazil,
Stefano

For plenty of bass, the Ultrasone Pro900 or Denon D5000 are great. There's also the Beyerdynamic DT770, Sony XB700, Phiaton MS400. With the exception of the Beyer, they are all perfectly fine being driven from an ipod. If you want more power, plugging them into a home receiver will work just fine.

Quote:
After around 10 Hours of researching and strolling around on the net, i found a couple of candidates .

Heres a graph to show them,

Looks                                                           Sound Quality
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
Beats Studio
                                    Phiaton MS400
             Senn. HD25ii Adidas
                                                        Senn. HD598

Those 4 are currently what i may buy with Studio having best looks and crappiest sound

Beats - really comfortable, meh for sound and isolation, prone to breaking, not worth the price
Senn HD25 - strong clamp, rugged, great isolation, punchy and articulate sound, bass and highs
MS400 - strong bass and midbass, warm coloured fun sound, ok isolation
Senn HD598 - open, strong all-rounder, great soundstage

May 13, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #3,920 of 29,490

Quote:
M50s are a good choice for that price range, also look into Ultrasone HFI-580s.  Got mine for $125 and definately love the sound for hip-hop and some rock (I like them for hard rock/metal, not so much soft/acoustic)

I actually have looked in the 580s. But the price is sky rocketing at the moment. 

Any suggestions from the sennheisers? 
They are my favorite headphone brand for what I've had.
Especially when it comes to quality.

May 13, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #3,921 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm on my 3rd pair of PowerBeats headphones, and Monster is going to send me a pair of Solo HDs. Since I'm kind of fed up with Monster, I started doing research and came across this site and saw that a lot of people know their stuff around here.

I'm jot as knowledgable on the headphone front, I just know I like music. I actually liked my PowerBeats headphones and thought they sounded good, but every pair of headphones I've had before were cheap headphones. Therefore, by comparison they were great. Then I came across this site and saw that there aren't too many fans of Beats.

To my point, I plan on selling my Solo HD (since Monster won't refund me), for around retail since they'll be brand new. I was wondering what type of headphones could I get for around $230 being the cap (give or take).

I like the PowerBeats because they had the wrap around the ear, and most buds/in-ears have a hard time staying in my ear. Especially since I use them while working out. I also liked them because of the ControlTalk feature. It made things pretty convenient.

I listen to everything. I do listen to a lot of hip-hop, so I do like the bass. At the same time, I like to listen to a lot of calm stuff, while not working out. I listen to artists like Ray LaMontagne, Adele, Citizen Cope, Anthony Hamilton, artists where I'm not as worried about how the bass sounds.

I am willing to maybe get a pair of good sounding over the ears, and maybe just get a cheaper pair for working out. The ability to change songs from the remote is something I would like also. The convenience of having it once, makes it hard to go back to not having it.

Any suggestion? Thank you for any and all help.

Have you looked at any of the Sennheiser sport series? Seems like they would fit most of your requirements, though for sound opinions you'd have to look up the reviews for each.
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_sport-line

Quote:
So I'm finally looking to expand into full-sized headphones. My price range is going to be about a hundred bucks, but I wouldn't mind an extra twenty if they're really good. I'm a bass head so strong is bass is a must (just not those god-damn dr.dre beats). And isolation needs to be pretty good too. Mostly listenin' to rap, hip-hop, and rock, but I do go into other stuff too. Did hear some pretty good stuff about the ATH-M50s though.

So what do you guys think?

M50 is solid, as is Shure 750 (probably the newer shure 550 as well, but I haven't heard that one). Shure 840 is great, but a touch above your budget.

Quote:
So couple months into my HFI-580's, had some opportunity to sample some other cans (M50s, 840s, v900HD) and really loving the sound signature of the Ultrasones...so what next?  What would the next step be, looking for perhaps a bit larger soundstage and less recessed mids.  Any Ideas besides Pro 900's (which are out of budget for now.

Or should I be focusing on upgrading my source (using Xonar DG) and or modding what I got?

I say go with another headphone. An amp will never fix something that you find lacking on most headphones. How about trying one of the open Ultrasones (HFI 2400)?

May 13, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #3,922 of 29,490

Quote:
I actually have looked in the 580s. But the price is sky rocketing at the moment.

Any suggestions from the sennheisers? 
They are my favorite headphone brand for what I've had.
Especially when it comes to quality.

For closed bassy Sennheisers, you have the HD438, HD380, and HD25-1-ii (and this one I wouln't really call bassy). Of these, only the 438 is within your budget. The PX200-ii is a great portable set, but not for bassheads, though the bass it does have is nicely detailed.

May 13, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #3,923 of 29,490
So it looks like I'll stick with the M50s. But just a question, how durable is their cord? My number 1 problem with headphones is the cable.

May 13, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #3,924 of 29,490
So I ended up buying ultimate ears 700 yesterday... I like it very much, except I cant wear it more then 2-3 hours before it gets kinda tiring..but that's fine, I probably shouldn't be wearing it anymore then that without taking a break......

However, I get this loud, weird crackling noise. It hasn't happened more then once or twice so far, but it's sharp and loud (much louder then whatever volume i was playing at) ... S: 

Edit: It happened again. >.<

If it's of any help, i'm using a sanza fuze + a amp to it.

Anyone know why? X:
Thank you!

May 13, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #3,925 of 29,490
Years ago, sometime in the '70s, a friend took me into a high-end audio store and a smiling salesman in crisply pressed slacks handed me a pair of headphones. I have no idea what they were, but when I slipped them over my ears, the room errupted in beautiful sound. I had to take them off because I thought he switched on some giant room speakers as a joke, but, no, the room just went silent. I'd like to recreate that experience. The music was beautiful and airy. Every note was clear.

These days, I'm holed up in a small cabin in the Pacific Northwest rainforest. No grid power for many miles -- just trees. All my power comes from solar panels, which is not a big deal in the summer, but is in the winter, when a weak sun can barely reach the tops of trees, and only then on the few days when it's not raining. Headphones use way less power than speakers, so that's the way I wanted to go.

I just bought a pair of Grado SR125i, and they sound OK, but not much better than my old Sony MDR-7506 set. There is a lot of sound at my ears, but the sound is at my ears, nothing airy like my experience years ago at the hi-fi store.When I hook them to my TV, the sound is better than the flat-screen speakers, but not by a lot. I thought maybe the sound source was the issue. Mostly, I play CDs or an XM radio through a couple of computer speakers (Harmon/Kardon, the size of a baseball, along with sub). I don't hear a lot of difference with the Grados, and maybe the speakers are better, but the difference is complex beyond my ability to analyze.  I purchased a Marantz 5004 CD player with a built-in headphone amp, and the sound is a little better, but not much. The music sounds a little too harsh and I want to stop listening pretty quickly. I can enjoy my XM through computer speakers all day, but I know the sound quality is average.

My thinking now is that maybe the Senn 598 or even the 650 would be the way to go, but I suspect I'm just going to end up with a lot of headphones and not better sound. Is that a good approach, or should I be thinking of amps or something else?

Thanks. Great forum.

May 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #3,926 of 29,490
The 650 really requires an amp and the 598 doesn't.  You'll notice a difference between either and your Grado, if for nothing else than sound stage.  The music won't just be sitting on your ears.  I don't own either, but I do own the 595 which is similar to the 598, at least in terms of sound stage.  I've had numerous instances with headphones where I've taken them off to see if I left the computer speakers on, or turned around on the street because I though sound was coming from behind me.  The latter I get a lot when listening to the Sennheiser PX-100

May 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #3,928 of 29,490

Quote:
Have you looked at any of the Sennheiser sport series? Seems like they would fit most of your requirements, though for sound opinions you'd have to look up the reviews for each.
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_sport-line

M50 is solid, as is Shure 750 (probably the newer shure 550 as well, but I haven't heard that one). Shure 840 is great, but a touch above your budget.

I say go with another headphone. An amp will never fix something that you find lacking on most headphones. How about trying one of the open Ultrasones (HFI 2400)?

Thank you. I think I might try the CX 680i. Looks like they might run around $80. Any good over ear headphones around $150 that I could use for at home listening?

May 13, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #3,929 of 29,490

Hello Scompton!
Thanks again for the help!

As soon as I narrow the headphones down to 2 or 3, I'll start this thread you recommended :wink:

Stefano

Quote:
I'm from the other side of the country so I don't know.  Someone from that area needs to answer.  We really do need a thread on where you can audition headphones.

I've seen a Sony Style store in Las Vegas and you can try some of their headphones there.  If you're a bass head, the XB series might be good for you.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a place in LA, but LA is really big and you may never get near it. 

Are you going to be driving?

Maybe you should start a thread to ask where in LA, Las Vegas, or San Diego you can try and buy headphones.

Hello Armaegis!
Thanks for the suggestions!

I checked them out online, and their prices really vary, from the 80 bucks of the Sony to 500 of the Denon.

Price aside, focusing only on SQ, if you were to buy one of these, which would you pick up?
I've seen a LOT of good reviews for the Ultrasone Pro900. Is it the best choice?

Stefano

Quote:
For plenty of bass, the Ultrasone Pro900 or Denon D5000 are great. There's also the Beyerdynamic DT770, Sony XB700, Phiaton MS400. With the exception of the Beyer, they are all perfectly fine being driven from an ipod. If you want more power, plugging them into a home receiver will work just fine.

May 13, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #3,930 of 29,490
You're really going to be limited to what you can find to buy in person.   I've never seen Ultrasone's for sale other than mail order.

Quote:
Thanks.  Is the dedicated headphone amp in the Marantz CD-5004 powerful enough to drive the 650?

No idea really.  Most people here would say no, but there's a pretty big bias here for dedicated headphone amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back