++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #3,901 of 29,490

Exact opposite of a Grado sound would be the AIAIAI TMA-1 (IMO). The 25-1 IIs are excellent headphones, but I find them to have a more neutral sound than I like for stuff like DubStep and Drum N Bass..

The TMA-1 is excellent for any EDM genre. Another option I'd suggest is the Phiaton MS 400. Both are more comfortable than the HD 25-1s IMO (I had real comfort issues with the 25s due to the fact I wear glasses).

EDIT: The Phiaton is probably a better 'all rounder' option than the TMA-1 because the TMA-1 has a very dark sound signature.
Quote:
Background information:
- I listen to everything from dubstep to rock, from trance to pop.
- Currently use a pair of Grado SR225i's modded with 2" Cocobolo cups
- Source is Creative Titanium HD/computer, no amp (Creative says it can handle up to 330ohms)

1)  I'm looking for a pair of closed cans to complement my Grados.  I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD-25 II. Are there any headphones that would better complement the Grados?  Budget is $200ish.  I figure since I'm not going to be using an amp the HD-25 II would be perfect since they are 80ohm and highly recommended for dubstep/drum and bass.

May 12, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #3,902 of 29,490

Quote:
does anyone on know any good headphones for hearing footsteps and stuff for around 50 dollars please i play blackops and mw2 thank you

Best I can think of would be the Senn HD515 or Audio Technica AD500, or see if you can find s used AD700 in your budget. At the core of it, look for open headphones that don't have heavy bass. Check the first post of this thread for a link to a gaming headphones review.

Quote:
Background information:
- I listen to everything from dubstep to rock, from trance to pop.
- Currently use a pair of Grado SR225i's modded with 2" Cocobolo cups
- Source is Creative Titanium HD/computer, no amp (Creative says it can handle up to 330ohms)

1)  I'm looking for a pair of closed cans to complement my Grados.  I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD-25 II. Are there any headphones that would better complement the Grados?  Budget is $200ish.  I figure since I'm not going to be using an amp the HD-25 II would be perfect since they are 80ohm and highly recommended for dubstep/drum and bass.

2)  I'm also looking for some in-ear phones or earbuds to use when working out/running.  Source is iPod Shuffle 2g + Fiio e5 amp. I'm currently using Shure e2c's but they are crapping out ( http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553526/shure-e2c-problems#post_7463795 ).  Budget is $100 but cheaper would be better.  Comfort and durability being more important than sound quality.  I have no idea what would be some good alternatives.

By "complement", are you looking for a similar or totally different sound? For similar in a closed variety, I usually recommend Ultrasones.

Can't help you too much on the iems. Check out Joker's massive thread for ideas (also linked in the first post)

May 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3,903 of 29,490

Quote:
Best I can think of would be the Senn HD515 or Audio Technica AD500, or see if you can find s used AD700 in your budget. At the core of it, look for open headphones that don't have heavy bass. Check the first post of this thread for a link to a gaming headphones review.

By "complement", are you looking for a similar or totally different sound? For similar in a closed variety, I usually recommend Ultrasones.

Can't help you too much on the iems. Check out Joker's massive thread for ideas (also linked in the first post)

By "complement" I mean a totally different sound.  Particularly, something that shines with bass-heavy applications.  Also, isolation and comfort (these 2" Cocobolo cups can be a little tiring on the ears).

May 12, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #3,904 of 29,490

Quote:
By "complement" I mean a totally different sound.  Particularly, something that shines with bass-heavy applications.  Also, isolation and comfort (these 2" Cocobolo cups can be a little tiring on the ears).

- opposite to grado sound
- closed
- bass heavy
- good isolation
- good comfort
- $200

I would say a used D2000, Phiaton MS400, or Shure 840.

May 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3,905 of 29,490

Quote:
- opposite to grado sound
- closed
- bass heavy
- good isolation
- good comfort
- $200

I would say a used D2000, Phiaton MS400, or Shure 840.

Looking into the cans phones you mentioned.  Memory foam earpads on the Shure 840 sound pretty enticing.  I just wish they weren't so... cheap plastic looking?

Having trouble finding a used D2000 for $200, thought I am patient and can camp out the Sale/Buy/Trade Forum.

The Phiaton's don't look half bad but some of the amazon reviews are putting me off.

So would the Sennheiser HD25 IIs be a decent choice considering what I'm looking for?

May 12, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #3,906 of 29,490

As I suggested before, check out the AIAIAI TMA-1. IMO, they have a leg up on the 25s in terms of comfort and looks. Sound wise it's preference though. The TMA-1 are very dark.
Quote:
Looking into the cans phones you mentioned.  Memory foam earpads on the Shure 840 sound pretty enticing.  I just wish they weren't so... cheap plastic looking?

Having trouble finding a used D2000 for $200, thought I am patient and can camp out the Sale/Buy/Trade Forum.

The Phiaton's don't look half bad but some of the amazon reviews are putting me off.

So would the Sennheiser HD25 IIs be a decent choice considering what I'm looking for?

May 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #3,907 of 29,490
Does anyone have experience with the Denon AH-D1100 for mainly alternative/rock, but a little jazz/classical?  I was interested in the D2000 but it's out of my budget.  I was also looking at the AT A900.  Or something different to look into? $200 budget.  Sorry to keep spamming this thread 
smile.gif

May 12, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #3,908 of 29,490
Hello guys!

I've read a LOT here and really learned nice things, including the many guides around.
Unfortunately, the more I read, the less I know which headphone to buy!

I'm from Brazil, and it's really hard to get good headphones around here.
I'll be going to the US in July, and since I won't go back in North America for quite a long time, I plan on getting a really good headphone once and for all.
I actually have a Bose QuietComfort 15, but I'm not satisfied with it.

My price range is roughly 600USD, and I listenly mostly to Rock (mostly Progressive and Hard Rock, actually), Country and Techno, and rarely, Classical.
Basically, I love clear middles and trebles, but what really drives me crazy is great, thumping bass.

I mainly listen to music on my iPod and on an onboard sound card on my computer, although I know these aren't good sources.
Whenever I can, I get music to my computer on lossless formats.

Last, but not least, I will use this headphone only at home.

I've seen many recommendations for Ultrasones, some for Denon; and 100% negative reviews for Beats lol.

What would you suggest me?
Only the headphone? Or a headphone+amp?
I'd really like to get the best sound possible around my price range (US$600.00), specially focused on bass.

THANKS a lot!
Cheers from Brazil,
Stefano

May 13, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #3,909 of 29,490
After around 10 Hours of researching and strolling around on the net, i found a couple of candidates .

Heres a graph to show them,

Looks                                                           Sound Quality
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
Beats Studio
                                    Phiaton MS400
             Senn. HD25ii Adidas
                                                        Senn. HD598

Those 4 are currently what i may buy with Studio having best looks and crappiest sound

May 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #3,910 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello guys!

I've read a LOT here and really learned nice things, including the many guides around.
Unfortunately, the more I read, the less I know which headphone to buy!

I'm from Brazil, and it's really hard to get good headphones around here.
I'll be going to the US in July, and since I won't go back in North America for quite a long time, I plan on getting a really good headphone once and for all.
I actually have a Bose QuietComfort 15, but I'm not satisfied with it.

My price range is roughly 600USD, and I listenly mostly to Rock (mostly Progressive and Hard Rock, actually), Country and Techno, and rarely, Classical.
Basically, I love clear middles and trebles, but what really drives me crazy is great, thumping bass.

I mainly listen to music on my iPod and on an onboard sound card on my computer, although I know these aren't good sources.
Whenever I can, I get music to my computer on lossless formats.

Last, but not least, I will use this headphone only at home.

I've seen many recommendations for Ultrasones, some for Denon; and 100% negative reviews for Beats lol.

What would you suggest me?
Only the headphone? Or a headphone+amp?
I'd really like to get the best sound possible around my price range (US$600.00), specially focused on bass.

THANKS a lot!
Cheers from Brazil,
Stefano

Where in the US are you going to be?  There's not many places where you can buy the headphones you listed without mail order.

May 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #3,911 of 29,490
AIAIAI TMA-1 - Looks amazing and sounds that way too. :D

Quote:
After around 10 Hours of researching and strolling around on the net, i found a couple of candidates .

Heres a graph to show them,

Looks                                                           Sound Quality
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
Beats Studio
                                    Phiaton MS400
             Senn. HD25ii Adidas
                                                        Senn. HD598

Those 4 are currently what i may buy with Studio having best looks and crappiest sound

May 13, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #3,912 of 29,490

Quote:
Where in the US are you going to be?  There's not many places where you can buy the headphones you listed without mail order.

Hello Scompton!
Thanks for helping :wink:

I'll be at Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas.
Would I find the headphones you have in mind there?

Stefano

May 13, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #3,913 of 29,490
I'm on my 3rd pair of PowerBeats headphones, and Monster is going to send me a pair of Solo HDs. Since I'm kind of fed up with Monster, I started doing research and came across this site and saw that a lot of people know their stuff around here.

I'm jot as knowledgable on the headphone front, I just know I like music. I actually liked my PowerBeats headphones and thought they sounded good, but every pair of headphones I've had before were cheap headphones. Therefore, by comparison they were great. Then I came across this site and saw that there aren't too many fans of Beats.

To my point, I plan on selling my Solo HD (since Monster won't refund me), for around retail since they'll be brand new. I was wondering what type of headphones could I get for around $230 being the cap (give or take).

I like the PowerBeats because they had the wrap around the ear, and most buds/in-ears have a hard time staying in my ear. Especially since I use them while working out. I also liked them because of the ControlTalk feature. It made things pretty convenient.

I listen to everything. I do listen to a lot of hip-hop, so I do like the bass. At the same time, I like to listen to a lot of calm stuff, while not working out. I listen to artists like Ray LaMontagne, Adele, Citizen Cope, Anthony Hamilton, artists where I'm not as worried about how the bass sounds.

I am willing to maybe get a pair of good sounding over the ears, and maybe just get a cheaper pair for working out. The ability to change songs from the remote is something I would like also. The convenience of having it once, makes it hard to go back to not having it.

Any suggestion? Thank you for any and all help.

May 13, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #3,914 of 29,490
I'm from the other side of the country so I don't know.  Someone from that area needs to answer.  We really do need a thread on where you can audition headphones.

I've seen a Sony Style store in Las Vegas and you can try some of their headphones there.  If you're a bass head, the XB series might be good for you.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a place in LA, but LA is really big and you may never get near it. 

Are you going to be driving?

Maybe you should start a thread to ask where in LA, Las Vegas, or San Diego you can try and buy headphones.

May 13, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #3,915 of 29,490
So I'm finally looking to expand into full-sized headphones. My price range is going to be about a hundred bucks, but I wouldn't mind an extra twenty if they're really good. I'm a bass head so strong is bass is a must (just not those god-damn dr.dre beats). And isolation needs to be pretty good too. Mostly listenin' to rap, hip-hop, and rock, but I do go into other stuff too. Did hear some pretty good stuff about the ATH-M50s though.

So what do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back