++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 7, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #3,766 of 29,490
Sooo I mis-placed my HD650's 
angry_face.gif

and need some new big cans :D
Looking for something that has a large soundstage, non-fatiguing, smooth deep bass, comfortable.
Price wise - nothing ridiculous, would also be a bonus if they don't NEED an amp to sound good.

May 7, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #3,767 of 29,490

Quote:
By the time you break the TMA-1, the headphone landscape will be totally different. Best to simply wait a while until it happens... or are you just looking for an excuse to buy a buy a new toy?
rolleyes.gif

Not at all, I just want to be prepared so that I have something in mind when it comes time to buy a new pair. Oh, & I'm looking for something with as good as or better noise isolation than the TMA's.

May 7, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #3,768 of 29,490

Quote:
Outside noise would get through as if you were not wearing any headphones - it would be pretty bad.  I don't know much about closed headphones at that price range, but you might consider PX200 or SRH440.

For ModifiedBear:  Consider the Senn HD 448 as well.  It is a great multipurpose phone both in sonics and physically.  Review in signature (link)

May 7, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #3,769 of 29,490
Depending on how much noise you need to block, most closed headphones don't do a good enough job.  They're fine for blocking office noise or general background noise, but for mass transit or airplanes, they don't really cut it.

May 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #3,770 of 29,490
Hello guys,

I have an AD700 at the moment. I am just wondering what is a good upgrade from them?
Willing to pay between under £280. If Amplification is needed, please tell me which and for amp i can spend about £100 or less.

I just want some more deep and clear bass as an improvement. I love the soundstage and clarity of the AD700s.
Mainly listen to Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Daft Punk, Trentmoller and lots of other similar stuff. And Clint Mansell's movie soundtracks too.

Currently with the AD700, i use:
Foobar > onboard optical spdif > Sony 5.1 receiver

I'm hoping i dont need a DAC or a soundcard upgrade, right?

May 7, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3,771 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for some headphones with the following criteria and I was wondering if anybody could help me:

- Supra-aural
- Closed
- Good for rock music
- Comfortable and lightweight so they don't get annoying after long periods of usage
- Around $100 - $200

I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 218i, but they seem a little bass-centered and I don't know how good they'd be for rock. I was also hoping to find something of higher quality. 

So, any suggestions?

May 7, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #3,772 of 29,490

Quote:
i think that when you start easy with not the best products, not bad, but not the best, you have something to compare to when you start on the top line products. And as far as i have understood both the sennheiser and the Audenze headphones are pretty top line headphones, but since i don´t know so much about these things i´m asking you guys for advices.

My Budget are ca 1500$ 

I think you should follow your own advice and get something very good and versatile to begin with.  You might find that it is enough, and if you want something different, it could be a reference for an educated purchase of more expensive gear.  Getting something in the used market will allow you to experiment with headphones and not lose much more than the price of shipping.  My suggestion would be HD600 with a powerful & neutral solid state amp - even a good home/vintage stereo would do.  That would cost not much more than $500-$600 and you would have a great system suited for your tastes in music that would be hard to beat for under $1000 imo. 

May 8, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #3,773 of 29,490
Hi.

I'm new here and I already read all the iem's and portable full-on comparisons, but I want to buy a budget full-on headphone, something around $30, max $40, and portability is not a must, because I want it to use on the computer. I don't care much for isolation but I do prefer circumaurals, because I get uncomfortable too easily, and I'm a sucker for the sound stage feel. And I know I'm asking much for the price I want to pay, but I just wanna hear suggestions of the best I can get for it. I mostly listen to alt. rock and electronic.

May 8, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #3,774 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello guys,

I have an AD700 at the moment. I am just wondering what is a good upgrade from them?
Willing to pay between under £280. If Amplification is needed, please tell me which and for amp i can spend about £100 or less.

I just want some more deep and clear bass as an improvement. I love the soundstage and clarity of the AD700s.
Mainly listen to Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Daft Punk, Trentmoller and lots of other similar stuff. And Clint Mansell's movie soundtracks too.

Anyone? :frowning2:

May 8, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #3,775 of 29,490
Whoo, massive post...

Quote:
Hey I was wondering were to get the Denon AHD2000 for under 300 because people keep saying that they are getting them for under 300

I believe their prices have gone up this year. Chalk it up to inflation or whatever. I just checked ebay though, and there are still a few sellers below $300.

Quote:
Hi

Im new in this forum, but i are a member of another forum. Im new in the game so i don´t know much about headphones, amps or DACs. I have tried to read as much as possible about headphones, amps and DOCs but in practice i don´t have much experience. Last week my new Cowon J3 arrived and i´m really happy and really satisfied about the sound, but with my AKG K450 i don´t feel that i get the full potential out of the J3, and i think the best thing to do is the ask some people who knew this stuff. I´m really interested in sound an hi fi (a trumpet nerd) so... 

<snip>

Didn't you make this exact same post earlier? I'm pretty sure I answered you back then too.

Quote:
Sooo I mis-placed my HD650's 
angry_face.gif

and need some new big cans :D
Looking for something that has a large soundstage, non-fatiguing, smooth deep bass, comfortable.
Price wise - nothing ridiculous, would also be a bonus if they don't NEED an amp to sound good.

You're going to have to define "ridiculous"...
rolleyes.gif
Are you looking for an upgrade or sidegrade? (or down?) Large soundstage and deep bass usually don't go together unless you start getting into the more expensive cans and/or orthos. Ironically though, the wee little Senn PX100-ii has some really nice bass to it. Ultrasones might work too, although their soundstage is a bit odd depending on the person and they're closed (not sure if you wanted open or closed).

Quote:
Not at all, I just want to be prepared so that I have something in mind when it comes time to buy a new pair. Oh, & I'm looking for something with as good as or better noise isolation than the TMA's.

Any of the DJ/studio style cans are rather on par in terms of isolation, with the Senn HD280 leading the pack for circumaural in my experience. If you're looking for anything noticeably better, you'll have to move to iems or active noise cancellation.

Quote:
Hello guys,

The top of the line open headphone from Audio Technica is the AD2000 which can be found used right around your max budget.

Since you're feeding the headphones off a receiver, you'll have plenty of power to push any of the higher impedance headphones. Maybe check out the Senn HD600/650.

And no, you don't need a dac upgrade. Your setup is just fine (and probably better than most).

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for some headphones with the following criteria and I was wondering if anybody could help me:

- Supra-aural
- Closed
- Good for rock music
- Comfortable and lightweight so they don't get annoying after long periods of usage
- Around $100 - $200

I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 218i, but they seem a little bass-centered and I don't know how good they'd be for rock. I was also hoping to find something of higher quality. 

So, any suggestions?

Same size, different line, the Senn PX200-ii is a great little performer. Not bass heavy, but nicely detailed and controlled. Folds up nice and small with a pouch, average isolation, quite comfortable.

I haven't tried the 218, but I did try the 228 (closed) and 238 (open). I preferred the PX200-ii over them. The only edge I'd give to the 228/238 is comfort.

May 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #3,776 of 29,490
Hey guys looking for a nice pair of headphones that's great for dance music, preferably Ultrasone or Sennheiser and ~150 dollars or less. I want it to play to the strengths of the areas my AD700s are weak in, particularly bass. Running off of onboard optical out with an Astro Mixamp (I know, I know, it's not good as an amp, but I needed something that worked with the PS3 as well as my PC)

May 8, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #3,777 of 29,490
Thanks for the suggestion, I may very well get the PX 200 II, and they look like my kind of portable headphones, but I was wondering if there was something in a bit pricier range in higher quality. I know I said I want supra-aural and lightweight headphones, but those aren't so important as long as the headphones don't bother you after a long time. I currently have the Beats, which I got as a gift and they bother me in that their weight, giant ear cups, and noise canceling thing somehow really annoy me and I was hoping to get at least Beats quality headphones (which I heard isn't difficult), but without all that heaviness and noise canceling, which I don't need.

May 8, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #3,778 of 29,490
Thanks, is there any other alternatives? I've been looking at the AKG K701s too. How do they compare to HD600/650 and AD2000?
Quote:
The top of the line open headphone from Audio Technica is the AD2000 which can be found used right around your max budget.

Since you're feeding the headphones off a receiver, you'll have plenty of power to push any of the higher impedance headphones. Maybe check out the Senn HD600/650.

And no, you don't need a dac upgrade. Your setup is just fine (and probably better than most).

May 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #3,779 of 29,490
Okay, I've been asking around a bit for my first pair of proper headphones, my price range being £60-90 (about $90-130 I think)

I had my eye on the grado sr60i but I then found that open backed were not the right choice for my intended usage of the phones (Home with other people, on the bus and on the go) with the sound leakage and all.

So I'm looking for some good closed back headphones in the aforementioned price range, preferably nothing too huge and massively conspicuous.

May 8, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #3,780 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys looking for a nice pair of headphones that's great for dance music, preferably Ultrasone or Sennheiser and ~150 dollars or less. I want it to play to the strengths of the areas my AD700s are weak in, particularly bass. Running off of onboard optical out with an Astro Mixamp (I know, I know, it's not good as an amp, but I needed something that worked with the PS3 as well as my PC)

The only Sennheiser I know of in that price range that packs a punch in the low end is their PX 360.  I remember it's sound signature quite well and it should fit dance music.  You can read further impressions in my signature (link).

You mentioned you're worried about you amp... these are very easy to drive.  Give them a look

Users who are viewing this thread

Back