++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #3,751 of 29,490
Hello all,

Really stuck on a decision, could do with advice or experience from anyone?

I want a pair of mini closed headphones, that are designed for use with iPhone 4. Not the Bose - boring design and found the sound boring too for the price. And not the Beats - lack of quality for price and not keen on the looks.

I want quality sound for electronica, rock, indie and spoken voice. Plus a remote for music control and phone calls is a must.

The two choices seem to be the Klipsch Image One and the AVG Q460? I am swayed by the AVG at present, but am open to suggestions or help with any experience you have?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give...

May 7, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #3,752 of 29,490
Dang, didnt see this thread until after I opened a new thread, sorry about that. I'll relocate question here.

I am in the market for a nice set of cans and while I have been doing as much research as possible I am still unsure as to what kind of headphones to get. I listen to mostly pop-punk, post-punk, electronica/dubstep, indie, and some acoustic stuff. I know its a hard range and if anything, I'd like the pop/post-punk to sound the best. I dont want face shaking bass, but I do want to experience the full range from a drum kit. Granted, its a wide range of music but I dont want to hinder vocal clarity by having a deep bass either. I figured I'd have to compromise certain genre's of music to experience good pop-punk sound, but I'm alright with that.

From what I've read I think I'd like open cans(?) and have looked at HD598, AH-D1100, ATH AD-900, K 701HD (Used ~$250), and the K 702HD.

Headphones will most likely be running from an Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Price range is ~250.

Thanks a lot guys!

May 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #3,753 of 29,490
Hi guys... first post

I own the Fiio e7/e9 combo with a pair of Senheiser 598's.

Can anyone tell me if its worth purchasing a pair of Dynamic Dt900 's

Would I experience a considerable improvement, or at the very least a different experience.

I listen to almost all kinds of music, folk rock, hard rock, soft rock, indie rock, electronica, hip hop, metal, symphony pretty much everything.

Im not really an audiophile so I find it difficult to hear subtel differences. I was hoping for an obvious improvement or difference.

Please dont flame me for sounding amateurish :)

cheers

May 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #3,754 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello all,

Really stuck on a decision, could do with advice or experience from anyone?

I want a pair of mini closed headphones, that are designed for use with iPhone 4. Not the Bose - boring design and found the sound boring too for the price. And not the Beats - lack of quality for price and not keen on the looks.

I want quality sound for electronica, rock, indie and spoken voice. Plus a remote for music control and phone calls is a must.

The two choices seem to be the Klipsch Image One and the AVG Q460? I am swayed by the AVG at present, but am open to suggestions or help with any experience you have?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give...

I would say the AKG Q460 or Senn PX200-IIi

Quote:
Dang, didnt see this thread until after I opened a new thread, sorry about that. I'll relocate question here.

I am in the market for a nice set of cans and while I have been doing as much research as possible I am still unsure as to what kind of headphones to get. I listen to mostly pop-punk, post-punk, electronica/dubstep, indie, and some acoustic stuff. I know its a hard range and if anything, I'd like the pop/post-punk to sound the best. I dont want face shaking bass, but I do want to experience the full range from a drum kit. Granted, its a wide range of music but I dont want to hinder vocal clarity by having a deep bass either. I figured I'd have to compromise certain genre's of music to experience good pop-punk sound, but I'm alright with that.

From what I've read I think I'd like open cans(?) and have looked at HD598, AH-D1100, ATH AD-900, K 701HD (Used ~$250), and the K 702HD.

Headphones will most likely be running from an Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Price range is ~250.

Thanks a lot guys!

Of the ones you listed, the HD598 will have the most balanced sound that will still give sufficient thump for electronica/dubstep. The AD900 and K701/702 are great headphones, but typically considered bass-light for the heavier genres (I think they're ok, but would still go with the Senn). The Denon is also a good all-rounder, but it's a closed headphone not open.

Quote:
Hi guys... first post

I own the Fiio e7/e9 combo with a pair of Senheiser 598's.

Can anyone tell me if its worth purchasing a pair of Dynamic Dt900 's

Would I experience a considerable improvement, or at the very least a different experience.

I listen to almost all kinds of music, folk rock, hard rock, soft rock, indie rock, electronica, hip hop, metal, symphony pretty much everything.

Im not really an audiophile so I find it difficult to hear subtel differences. I was hoping for an obvious improvement or difference.

Please dont flame me for sounding amateurish :)

cheers

It will be a very different sound, so it's hard to say if it will be an improvement. You're going from a smoother Senn sound to the thumpy yet bright Beyer DT990. Anyways, if you're looking for something different then this definitely fits. The DT770 would be even moreso.

May 7, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #3,755 of 29,490
Skylab posted something about the DT990 the other day that I thought was spot on.  The smile shaped FR is ideal for low level listening since low levels suppress the perception of bass and treble.  I've never heard the DT990 so I can't confirm this from personal experience but it makes a lot of sense.  It actually makes me want to try them since I listen at low levels.

May 7, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #3,757 of 29,490

I made a thread asking for advice but then I saw this thread so I may as well just quote it

Basically I'm in between these two headphones:

Quote:

I'm looking for some good headphones and I was recommended both of these for my price range of £50-70 (about $70-100)

Which ones would you people recommend?

I will mostly be using them at home and on bus journeys.

Also, I really like hearing all the details in music if that's a factor

May 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #3,760 of 29,490

Quote:
Thank you Armaegis,

I'll check out the Senn's too. but seem to be getting consistent advice to take the AKG's so feeling pretty good about those so far.

Thanks

I haven't heard the Q460 specifically, but I've tried several of the closed AKG portables and they all tend to clamp strongly with good isolation and sounding bassy, with the higher end ones offering more control. The PX200ii on the other hand is surprisingly mild in the bass (not weak) but very nicely detailed, more comfortable fit, less isolation, lighter weight but less sturdy.

Quote:

Well one is a fully open headphone and the other is closed. Do you need isolation in any way?

May 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #3,761 of 29,490

Quote:

I've owned both MDR-V6 & Grado SR60 and preferred the latter by a mile.  The Sony headphones are harsh in the upper mids and not nearly as enjoyable as the Grados.  Armaegis is right - you should first decide if you need open or closed headphones.  Closed usually sound worse imo but have the advantage of blocking sound if that's important.

May 7, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #3,763 of 29,490

Quote:
I've owned both MDR-V6 & Grado SR60 and preferred the latter by a mile.  The Sony headphones are harsh in the upper mids and not nearly as enjoyable as the Grados.  Armaegis is right - you should first decide if you need open or closed headphones.  Closed usually sound worse imo but have the advantage of blocking sound if that's important.

I'll mostly be using them at home and on the bus and sometimes on the go.

How much bus engine sound would get through? And would it be especially annoying?

May 7, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #3,764 of 29,490

Quote:
I'll mostly be using them at home and on the bus and sometimes on the go.

How much bus engine sound would get through? And would it be especially annoying?

Outside noise would get through as if you were not wearing any headphones - it would be pretty bad.  I don't know much about closed headphones at that price range, but you might consider PX200 or SRH440.

May 7, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #3,765 of 29,490
Hi

Im new in this forum, but i are a member of another forum. Im new in the game so i don´t know much about headphones, amps or DACs. I have tried to read as much as possible about headphones, amps and DOCs but in practice i don´t have much experience. Last week my new Cowon J3 arrived and i´m really happy and really satisfied about the sound, but with my AKG K450 i don´t feel that i get the full potential out of the J3, and i think the best thing to do is the ask some people who knew this stuff. I´m really interested in sound an hi fi (a trumpet nerd) so... 

I listen to many different music categories mostly, classical music (solo trumpet, symphony orchestras...) Jazz (miles davis, chet baker, wynton marsalis...) R&B, Soul and pop (Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Micheal Jackson...) and much classic rock and hard rock/metal  (AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Pink Floid, Judas Priest, Metalica, Deep Purple...)

If i rate them.

1. Classical 
2. Jazz
3. R&B, Soul and Pop 
4. Rock/metal 

I would come with proposals but i don´t have the experience so i don´t feel i can do it. But i have got some proposals from my other forum, Sennheiser HD-650 with a good amp, and Audenze LCD-2 with the Lyr amp from Schiit, i think that when you start easy with not the best products, not bad, but not the best, you have something to compare to when you start on the top line products. And as far as i have understood both the sennheiser and the Audenze headphones are pretty top line headphones, but since i don´t know so much about these things i´m asking you guys for advices.

My Budget are ca 1500$ i can go a little higher but i´d like to stay under 1500$, these will be home headphones, i´l take the the portable ones later:wink: I will connect the amp to the cowon so please propose some cables too connect all this.

Thanks for all help!

NewInTheGame  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back