++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #3,601 of 29,490

Recommendation between A500/A900/DT250 (or if you think these are way off the mark, suggestion for something else) please

I'm looking into buying some new headphones. The more I'm researching the more confused I'm getting so I'm hoping you can help. I have a pretty clear idea of what I like, but not how to achieve the best compromise. 

Comfort - a primary requirement on which I can't compromise - I'll be wearing these for long periods at a time so they have to be really comfortable - I also wear glasses so don't want them clamping too hard - eg I have some Senn HD590s that I can't wear because of the clamping force. I know from experience that if they're not comfortable I won't use them, no matter how wonderful they sound.

Isolation - the main "job" of these cans is to listen to music in the same room where others are watching TV. However I would compromise on some level of isolation if necessary to improve comfort (eg reduced clamping force).

Can't be canal phones - got some Etymotic many many years ago (from you as I recall) - the more I used them the worse my ears reacted - itch, heat etc. Just not for me I think.

I'd prefer them not to be too power-hungry. Don't mind buying a small Amp (in fact am considering an Amp/DAC as I'm often listening out of the laptop) but don't want lots of money on one.

Sound-wise, I listen to just about all genres of music except electronic and hip-hop. Things that I notice are:

1. Separation - I don't like sounds to mush together, esp noticable on some harmonies (on not hugely well-recorded tracks) like Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and The Band's The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.
  2. Bass - I like impactful tight quick moving base vs loud and flabby.
  3. Air - I like to "hear" the air around the music (eg Carol Kidd's When I Dream). I don't like the headphone to feel like the music is pressing in on my ears, but rather like it's floating around them.
  4. Snare drums - Like to hear the note they give out, not just a "thunk" (eg Pink Floyd's Time has a passage where there's a real tune played on the snares).
  5. Love sweet high notes (The almost final trumpet note in James Morrison's The Old Rugged Cross is just perfection) but hate any harshness.
  6. Detail (like to hear what happens after the string is hit in, eg, acoustic guitar).
  7. However, I'm VERY sensitive to any hint of harshness and if necessary I would compromise on some detail if this was necessary to listening for reasonably long periods without fatigue.

So in summary, the primary considerations are comfort and lack of fatigue, but I'm interested in tight bass, detail and "open" sound. 

There are also some issues about availability as I am in Australia and some of the phones are hard to get here - I'm reluctant to buy overseas as, if I really hate them, I'd like to be able to exchange them for something else without spending a fortune in return postage.

I'd pretty much narrowed it down to A500/A900/DT250 (all available in OZ and around my price range) but (not having the opportunity to audition any of them) this could be way off beam.

Would appreciate any advice you could provide (including whether the phone benefits from an amp and any suggestion for one - ATM I'm operating on the assumption that any amp is better than none :)).

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #3,602 of 29,490

I'm a bit a bassmaniac and looking for some headphones with serious bass. I prefer closed that has minimum of 15db isolation. Most of all i listen Techno or dance music. What's the best ones in a price range of 500-1500$?

Ultrasone Pro 900, Ultrasone Ed 8, Denon D7000...Pro 900 has a huge EDM following around here. Ed 8 has less bass but better mids from what I hear. King of the castle for that price range is Denon D7000 though, imo. Depends on whether you want portables or not I suppose.

Also gonna recommend XB 1000 for a cheaper solution with massive bass.

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #3,604 of 29,490
Good Afternoon everyone!
First time poster here and I'm coming to you guys humbly for some advice. I've gone through a few pages but I didn't see anything that quite matched what I'm looking for, that and it's always nice to have advice geared towards one's self.

I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to headphones, as the only pair I've ever owned were the Tritton AX720s (I'm an avid gamer.) I only owned the 720s for about 8 months before they crapped out on me (very poor build quality, but that's what you get when you buy Madcatz as any gamer would know.) 

So now I'm in the market again for another headset or set of headphones. I would only be using them in my room so ambient noise or sound leakage is not an issue (I apologize if I misuse any terms, complete noob here.) I'll be using them for PC gaming for the most part, as well as movie/music use. As for music I listen to Alternative Rock and Techno/House/Trance with a splash of classical and Jazz thrown in the mix. I wouldn't call myself a basshead, but a little extra bass is enjoyable.

At first I was looking at only gaming headsets but after a bit of research I've decided that it may be better to just get a nice set of headphones and buy a separate mic. 

I like the feel of full-size headphones and even though I'm a fairly small individual bulky isn't an issue to me. Also I'm a bit of a DIY guy so if there are mods that make a set of headphones I don't have an issue with that. 

As for budget, I think $150 would probably be as high as I'm going to go (Minimum wage college student) unless I'm getting the deal of the century or something. Some of the headphones/headsets I was looking at include:
  1. Sennheiser HD555 
  2. JVC HA-RX900
  3. Logitech G35
  4. Steelseries 5xB
  5. V-MODA Cross-fade

If you have any other suggestions I'm more than willing to consider them.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #3,605 of 29,490
@Randomshortguy

Hey,

Coming from a newcomer to the scene, I was in the same spot. Did a ton of review/scouting before I clicked the buy button. I found the gaming headsets are quite lackluster in quality alongside being insanely over-priced. Generally as a guideline, anything slapped with the tag of "Gaming Headset" generally means low bass, accentuated higher mids, and heavier treble. 

I've had the steel series 5hv2 for the better part of the year which has served its primary purpose--gaming. Recently I took the plunge into the audiophile realm and got a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A700's (The open ear counter-part to the AD700 which have been highly revered for gaming.) and the results actually shook me a bit. The A700's are better for gaming...then my gaming headphones. Comfort wise these things can be worn for hours (even with glasses like myself). 

Been using them for a while now and I've found that these are a fantastic all around headphone, especially for the price ($110.00 roughly). Great for games, music is superb, the bass has enough thump to make everything more immersive as a whole without causing listening fatigue. However they are a 64ohm impedance so you will need a headphone amp to power them properly. They sound find off an iPod/stock audio card, but it'll lack the same body that a standard amp would provide.

Anyways, for $110 the A700 or AD700 (if you want open back/wider soundstage) you can't go wrong. If you're willing to splurge a few extra $$ head over to http://www.electric-avenues.com and check out the PA2V2 portable amp. Great hand device for $60-70. More than enough to drive these things.

That's just my opinion however. Hope that helps.

Regards,

iMatt

Apr 30, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #3,606 of 29,490

Quote:

Recommendation between A500/A900/DT250 (or if you think these are way off the mark, suggestion for something else) please

I'm looking into buying some new headphones. The more I'm researching the more confused I'm getting so I'm hoping you can help. I have a pretty clear idea of what I like, but not how to achieve the best compromise. 

Comfort - a primary requirement on which I can't compromise - I'll be wearing these for long periods at a time so they have to be really comfortable - I also wear glasses so don't want them clamping too hard - eg I have some Senn HD590s that I can't wear because of the clamping force. I know from experience that if they're not comfortable I won't use them, no matter how wonderful they sound.

Isolation - the main "job" of these cans is to listen to music in the same room where others are watching TV. However I would compromise on some level of isolation if necessary to improve comfort (eg reduced clamping force).

Can't be canal phones - got some Etymotic many many years ago (from you as I recall) - the more I used them the worse my ears reacted - itch, heat etc. Just not for me I think.

I'd prefer them not to be too power-hungry. Don't mind buying a small Amp (in fact am considering an Amp/DAC as I'm often listening out of the laptop) but don't want lots of money on one.

Sound-wise, I listen to just about all genres of music except electronic and hip-hop. Things that I notice are:

1. Separation - I don't like sounds to mush together, esp noticable on some harmonies (on not hugely well-recorded tracks) like Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and The Band's The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.
  2. Bass - I like impactful tight quick moving base vs loud and flabby.
  3. Air - I like to "hear" the air around the music (eg Carol Kidd's When I Dream). I don't like the headphone to feel like the music is pressing in on my ears, but rather like it's floating around them.
  4. Snare drums - Like to hear the note they give out, not just a "thunk" (eg Pink Floyd's Time has a passage where there's a real tune played on the snares).
  5. Love sweet high notes (The almost final trumpet note in James Morrison's The Old Rugged Cross is just perfection) but hate any harshness.
  6. Detail (like to hear what happens after the string is hit in, eg, acoustic guitar).
  7. However, I'm VERY sensitive to any hint of harshness and if necessary I would compromise on some detail if this was necessary to listening for reasonably long periods without fatigue.

So in summary, the primary considerations are comfort and lack of fatigue, but I'm interested in tight bass, detail and "open" sound. 

There are also some issues about availability as I am in Australia and some of the phones are hard to get here - I'm reluctant to buy overseas as, if I really hate them, I'd like to be able to exchange them for something else without spending a fortune in return postage.

I'd pretty much narrowed it down to A500/A900/DT250 (all available in OZ and around my price range) but (not having the opportunity to audition any of them) this could be way off beam.

Would appreciate any advice you could provide (including whether the phone benefits from an amp and any suggestion for one - ATM I'm operating on the assumption that any amp is better than none :)).

Audio Technicas are very comfortable, but quite bulky and isolate poorly until you get into the more expensive wooden models (and even those are only average at best).

The DT250 are good, but might clamp a bit on glasses. The DT770 might be better in this regard, but they're more expensive.

Some other random recommendations: Sennheiser HD380, Phiaton PS500. If you don't mind supraaural, there are several options there that are quite comfortable and offer great isolation: Senn HD25-1-ii, B&W P5, Beyer T50p, etc.

Quote:
im new to this and i want a new pair of cans that have good soundstage for around the $60 price range thanks.

A used pair of Audio Technica AD700. Absolutely fantastic soundstage that will be hard to beat in that price range.

Quote:
Good Afternoon everyone!
First time poster here and I'm coming to you guys humbly for some advice. I've gone through a few pages but I didn't see anything that quite matched what I'm looking for, that and it's always nice to have advice geared towards one's self.

I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to headphones, as the only pair I've ever owned were the Tritton AX720s (I'm an avid gamer.) I only owned the 720s for about 8 months before they crapped out on me (very poor build quality, but that's what you get when you buy Madcatz as any gamer would know.) 

So now I'm in the market again for another headset or set of headphones. I would only be using them in my room so ambient noise or sound leakage is not an issue (I apologize if I misuse any terms, complete noob here.) I'll be using them for PC gaming for the most part, as well as movie/music use. As for music I listen to Alternative Rock and Techno/House/Trance with a splash of classical and Jazz thrown in the mix. I wouldn't call myself a basshead, but a little extra bass is enjoyable.

At first I was looking at only gaming headsets but after a bit of research I've decided that it may be better to just get a nice set of headphones and buy a separate mic. 

I like the feel of full-size headphones and even though I'm a fairly small individual bulky isn't an issue to me. Also I'm a bit of a DIY guy so if there are mods that make a set of headphones I don't have an issue with that. 

As for budget, I think $150 would probably be as high as I'm going to go (Minimum wage college student) unless I'm getting the deal of the century or something. Some of the headphones/headsets I was looking at include:
  1. Sennheiser HD555 
  2. JVC HA-RX900
  3. Logitech G35
  4. Steelseries 5xB
  5. V-MODA Cross-fade

If you have any other suggestions I'm more than willing to consider them.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

Check the first post of this thread for a link to a gaming headphone guide. Lots of options in there to consider.

For modding, the Senn 555 and 580 have a couple quick and simple mods, Grado has tons of options, and the Audio Technica AD700 is popular for painting mods.

Quote:
Criteria:
- By budget is < $200
- Strong Bass would be a plus but not necessary (rock/electronic/techno music)
- Good build quality
- For use with an iPod, no amp.
-  A model with a shorter cable length would be ideal... (or coiled, long cloth-type acceptable as well) This is honestly the most important factor.

Models Considering:
- PRO 550 - $154
- PRO 650 - $198
- I like the PRO series because they come with a hard-case, and detachable, coiled cable.
- I don't like the PRO series because they might require an amp; I need HP's for portable use.

- HFI 580 - $123
- HFI 780 - $161
- I like the HFI series because they are easy driven + very high build quality.
- I don't like the HFI series because they come with a long cable -> would require recabling...

I'm looking for short cable length as well as good SQ. I might get an amp to use with these headphones, but most likely these will just be hooked up to my iPod touch. You may suggest different headphones, but keep in mind the cable length/type and price issue.

The most important questions I would like answered, in order, are:
- the difference between 550 and 650 and how well they fit into my criteria. Main concern: How do these perform without an amp?
- the difference between 580 and 780 and how well they fit into my criteria. Main concern: Recabling..

The ultrasone don't need an amp. In general, the requirement for amps is vastly overstated on these forums. Definitely go with the Pro650 which has much better bass than the 550.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #3,609 of 29,490
Hi,

I am fairly new to Head-fi, and I am trying to find some headphones under these criteria:

Must be under $200.

Will be used primarily on the train for a couple of hours.

Must not leak much sound( don't want to annoy people around me).

Looking for headphones that are comfortable while wearing glasses.

Looking for headphones that sound good playing music like: Radiohead,Massive Attack,NIN,Erykah Badu, Jay-Z( Headphones that can handle a variety of music).

No amp requirement.

Headphones that can be used with iPod touch, cell phone (does not have to have mic or remote).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #3,610 of 29,490
Hi,

I am fairly new to Head-fi, and I am trying to find some headphones under these criteria:

Must be under $200.

Will be used primarily on the train for a couple of hours.

Must not leak much sound( don't want to annoy people around me).

Looking for headphones that are comfortable while wearing glasses.

Looking for headphones that sound good playing music like: Radiohead,Massive Attack,NIN,Erykah Badu, Jay-Z( Headphones that can handle a variety of music).

No amp requirement.

Headphones that can be used with iPod touch, cell phone (does not have to have mic or remote).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Phiaton MS 400 (A bit iffy on isolation)
AIAIAI TMA-1 (Very comfy, good isolation, good for example artist, but hard to call an all rounder)
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (Very good isolation, comfort with glasses is very debatable)

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #3,611 of 29,490

[size=medium]
[size=medium]
Would you recommend ultrasone hfi-580 for rock? I am looking at $150 or less headphones and I find it very interesting based on what people said here. I am going to use it with my iPod Touch 4 unamped. I listen mostly to Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Killers, Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and a little of rap/RNB here and there. Basically, I am planning to use it as a transportable headphone as I have the s4 for my daily commute. Thanks. 
[/size]

[/size]

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #3,612 of 29,490
The MS 400s look cool, but I have seen mixed reviews on their SQ. The TMAs, are a little too far over my budget, and the HD 25-1 IIs are in the same boat as the MS 400s.
I was looking into the M50s, and some Grados, but I know that the Grados leak sound like crazy.

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #3,613 of 29,490
The MS 400s look cool, but I have seen mixed reviews on their SQ. The TMAs, are a little too far over my budget, and the HD 25-1 IIs are in the same boat as the MS 400s.
I was looking into the M50s, and some Grados, but I know that the Grados leak sound like crazy.

Grados have no isolation (pretty much).

The M50 isn't the most portable headphone in the world.

Only real problems I'd see here.

May 1, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #3,615 of 29,490

Hey guys,

I just listened to the HD 650, HD 598, and HFI 780 all with amplification from Fostex PH-100 and Denon AH-D2000 without amplification yesterday at a store and I must say that I liked the sound on all of them. Maybe preferred the airy sound on the HD 650 slightly more but the other`s were nice as well. Unfortunately they all had issues for my other preferences though:

HD 650 and HD 598- open headphones.  I don`t like when noise from outside is coming in or music from inside is going out. I know the "leakage" (maybe this is the correct word) is common for open headphones. 

HFI 780- not comfortable, the leather pads are too rough, ears touch the pads too much, top of head feels the clamping pressure. 

AH-D2000- isolation could be better, too loose on the head.

I enjoy overall nice airy sound with different music styles; touch of bass; comfortable velour pads or very soft leather (looking for headphones comfortable for long hour listening); good fit; the looks (not bulky); and the fact that the headphones would sound OK without an amp (although sometimes I use a small amp, see signature).

Music I listen to: folk, world/new age, acoustic, ambient, electro, modern classical, piano. But yeah, all the above headphones performed satisfactory sound for my needs.

I feel that this is maybe not possible but the perfect headphones would be with the sound, comfort, fit and velour pads of HD 650 or HD 598 BUT with good isolation.

Could you please show me the way :)

Price range about 220 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back