++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 28, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #3,557 of 29,490
Being my first "decent" headphone over my ATH-AD500s, which option is better :p?
Used HD600 $200-$300 range
New HD595 $150 or so shipped.
I'll most likely be picking up an e9 to use as an external Amp, and using my Xfi prelude line out.

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #3,558 of 29,490
btw can you please explain why you don't think the GL Voyager will be able to drive the LCD-2? from what i read, they're only 50 ohm :s

Ohms isn't everything. They're Orthodynamic headphones...Which means they're very hard to drive.

Their sensitivity is quite low, so they're not that easy to drive. Better than the HE-6s, at least.

how about some other ones that are easier to drive?

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #3,559 of 29,490
Alright, I listen to pop, techno, classical and a little bit of rock (hardly any).

I'd like some closed back headphones for portable use that are very comfortable, have good sound quality, and don't cost much more than £60-70 (I'm in the UK).

I've been looking at Beyer's and have heard about their comfort and sound quality and was looking at the DTX900's but I'm not sure if anyone here knows much about them?

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #3,560 of 29,490
Which of the follwing would have the best overall bass and best overall sound with the Hot Audio Thunderbolt amp and iPod Touch 4g-

Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO 250 Ω

Beyerdynamic DT-770 32 (consumer) Ω

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2

Audio Technica ATH-A700

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #3,562 of 29,490
hi folks,

i am another potential audiophile in the sea that is head-fi.org

i wanted to purchase a nice pair of cans. mainly for traveling but i just can be bothered to go thru 238 pages on this thread. so iam just asking the pros. :D

i currently use 2 earphones. at home, the Bose in-ear earphones and while traveling the lovely Sony NC 22. the bose is great but the sound isolation is horrible.also they tend to distort at high volume. the sony is lovely and the NC is great for travelling. but as it happens, this set somewhat lacks in mid. this is why i have decided to upgrade to 'audiophile' headphones.

the music i listen is mainly trance and rock. hence mids and lows are very cruicial id say. also, i travel a lot and noise cancellation would be a boon.
basically i want to buy around ear cans. big size is not an issue. they should just not be a powerhog and volume should be high enough for me. i have been doing lots of research for the past month and am still running dry. would be grateful if you guys could suggest the right product for me.

my budget is around 300$. thanks in advance.

cheers...

Apr 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #3,563 of 29,490
I’ve got a $300 gift certificate at Amazon and I’m lusting after a better pair of full-size headphones. I could go as high as $350 if it seemed worthwhile.

As a starting list I’m looking at the Sennheiser HD600, the Denon AHD2000, the AKG K 701, the Grado SR325i, the Ultrasone HFI-2400, the Beyerdynamic DT 990, and the B&W P5. This list is based on pricing and a preponderance of five-star reviews. The only cans in this list that I’ve auditioned are the HD600s, which sounded fantastic, although they seemed ideal if 90% of my listening was classical and acoustic jazz; possibly less so for Radiohead and the Stones and whatnot.

I listen to 40% rock/pop/hip-hop, 30% jazz, and 30% classical. I’m looking for accuracy and a realistic mid-range most of all, but I do like to rock out and get some visceral weight on the low end.

I’ve never owned a really good pair of full-size headphones. I’ve had many hours of happy listening for several years with a pair of Sennheiser HD 590s, and a much-loved pair of custom in-ear Ultimate Ears 5c earphones recently gave up the ghost after 7 years of service. I’ve also owned the Grado SR125. I use a Grado RA1 amp and a JDS Labs cMoyBB v. 2.03 amp, but will probably upgrade soon. This is for at-home listening and sound leakage is not an issue. I’ve got a lot of vinyl and SACDs and lossless music files but still tap a large CD collection as well.

So what would you do if $350 of Amazon funny money was burning a hole in YOUR pocket?

EDIT: I’ll also be looking for replies to ShutterX’s post, just above mine; our quests are not too dissimilar; although I’m often IN a trance I almost never LISTEN to trance.

Apr 28, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #3,564 of 29,490
Quote:
btw can you please explain why you don't think the GL Voyager will be able to drive the LCD-2? from what i read, they're only 50 ohm :s

Quote:
Ohms isn't everything. They're Orthodynamic headphones...Which means they're very hard to drive.

Quote:
Their sensitivity is quite low, so they're not that easy to drive. Better than the HE-6s, at least.

What they said.  The important thing is sensitivity.  Your Westone 4s are 118dB/mW @31 ohms.  The LCD-2 are 91db/mW @ 51 ohms.  The HE-6 are 83db/mW @ 50 ohms.  The Westone 4s are very sensitive.  They'll make lots of noise from just about anything.  Even a milliwatt will produce a sound pressure level equal to a jet engine if they are sealed in your ears.  The decibel is a logarithmic scale so a difference of 34.5 dB between the Westone 4 and the HE-6 isn't just 34.5 times more power to reach the same volume, its 2800 times as much.  (assuming I didn't make some bone-headed mistake)

If you were listening to something well recorded and with a lot of dynamic range, such as a large orchestra, 1mW into the Westones will cover, without distortion,  the absolute screaming peaks, crescendos, and climaxes that only last a second or two less they damage your (or the musician's and the audience's) hearing.  The HE-6s will need 2.8W to reach that peak without clipping and distorting right when it gets to the good part.

In the real world most recordings seldom have that much dynamic range because it could possibly damage your equipment or even your hearing so you rarely need that much headroom and most of the time you probably won't be listening that loudly either.  If you're going to have to buy a new amp already and actually have the cash to buy the sort of stuff I only get to drool over at meets then I think you might as well get one with plenty of headroom though.

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #3,565 of 29,490

What they said.  The important thing is sensitivity.  Your Westone 4s are 118dB/mW @31 ohms.  The LCD-2 are 91db/mW @ 51 ohms.  The HE-6 are 83db/mW @ 50 ohms.  The Westone 4s are very sensitive.  They'll make lots of noise from just about anything.  Even a milliwatt will produce a sound pressure level equal to a jet engine if they are sealed in your ears.  The decibel is a logarithmic scale so a difference of 34.5 dB between the Westone 4 and the HE-6 isn't just 34.5 times more power to reach the same volume, its 2800 times as much.  (assuming I didn't make some bone-headed mistake)

If you were listening to something well recorded and with a lot of dynamic range, such as a large orchestra, 1mW into the Westones will cover, without distortion,  the absolute screaming peaks, crescendos, and climaxes that only last a second or two less they damage your (or the musician's and the audience's) hearing.  The HE-6s will need 2.8W to reach that peak without clipping and distorting right when it gets to the good part.

In the real world most recordings seldom have that much dynamic range because it could possibly damage your equipment or even your hearing so you rarely need that much headroom and most of the time you probably won't be listening that loudly either.  If you're going to have to buy a new amp already and actually have the cash to buy the sort of stuff I only get to drool over at meets then I think you might as well get one with plenty of headroom though.

well the main point of getting the Graham Slee Voyager is to use it with my Sansa Fuze at work. if i were to buy those orthodynamic headphones, i'd probably get a Schiit Lyr to drive them since i'd only want to use them at home anyway.

i don't really know what to look for anymore. i wish i could try them somewhere. at this point, i don't have enough space for a full-size amp in my apt (lol). so i'll have to wait due to this reason.

however, $1500 for a very good headphone/amp combo (like LCD-2 and Schiit Lyr) seems like a much more reasonable purchase than a $1000 AH-D7000 closed headphone with no detachable cable and questionable overall value. on the other hand, it would be cool to be able to use my Voyager with something other than my Westone 4.

i really want to get started with some full-size headphones, but i don't want this to be a downgrade or side-grade from my current setup. i want to collect headphones which are unique in their own way, so that they won't be made completely obsolete by an upgrade. they should still be able to grow and improve at the same time as my equipment improves.

do you have any other suggestions? or should i just wait until i have enough room for the orthodynamic phones + amp? or maybe JH-3A/JH-16 combo lol... no i don't want to buy both haha!

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #3,566 of 29,490
Apr 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #3,567 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

I read up on the Denon-Series and am quite impressed by it, they really seem like the phones I've been looking for. There are just a few questions I have:

1. amazon.co.uk is listing two different Denon AHD-5000 with a price difference of 75€. Are there any differences in the series I have to look out for or are they the same worldwide and the price listings are just because of bad productlabeling by amazon?

2. I could get the D2000 for 250€, the D5000 for 400€. Since I'm a student I'm always tight on money (and buying guitars on a whim doesn't helpt that either) so I am thinking of going for the D2000. But if the D5000 is just THAT much better, well...I could manage.

3. How much of a difference/improvement compared to the tma-1 (or my second cans the hd595, which...well are just plain boring to listen to) can I expect? I know that's a rather subjective question, but I ask anyway.

4. Will I be able to drive 'em probably with my Clip+ and FiiO E5? Or should I think of getting an amplifier next?

5. And last but not least: Will the Denons suit Prog/Post-Metal stuff like Tool, Oceansize or Opeth? Because that's probably where it would make the most difference for me.

You COULD get the D2000 and mod it up with wood cups and new pads to change the sound. I haven't have the chance to A/B the 2000 and 5000, so I can't tell you if there's a big difference. Do some forum searching (I'm sure someone has). I know they use the same drivers (and the 7000 uses different ones), so I assume there's not the biggest difference ever.

Between the TMA-1 and the Denon you will see a huge difference. The TMA-1 is VERY dark. The Denon you'll hear more of stuff that's NOT bass. Not to say the Denons have no bass. They're absolute bass monsters. They're basically just a league above the TMA-1 (IMO). As for the 595...You'll get more bass than the 595. I haven't used them, but I can guarantee you'll hear that much. Just going from open to closed you may lose some soundstage, but Denons are known for having pretty large soundstage for closed headphones.

They will drive fine out of those (My D7000 sound pretty awesome out of my J3, and even my Clip+), but Denons are known for loving their power. They really benefit from amping. If you're looking for something to just upgrade your set up in general I'd say looking into getting a new DAC/Amp combo. For portable use I've been hearing amazing things about the XM 6. It's portable and it's a monster home DAC as well. Good solution for smaller budgets. I'm looking into getting one myself, actually once my bank recovers.

Can't speak for Oceansize and Opeth, but Tool is a favorite of mine. I listened to Undertow yesterday in fact, and I loved it with the fun Denon sound.

Just ordered the D2000. The mention of Undertow sold me on it, because in terms of tone, feeling and atmosphare it's pretty much THE album I'd reference that absolutely has to sound awesome with my cans (together with Oceanic by Isis).
Hopefully I can still cancel my guitarorder or I'll be a pretty happy poor guy.
Thanks!

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #3,568 of 29,490

well the main point of getting the Graham Slee Voyager is to use it with my Sansa Fuze at work. if i were to buy those orthodynamic headphones, i'd probably get a Schiit Lyr to drive them since i'd only want to use them at home anyway.

i don't really know what to look for anymore. i wish i could try them somewhere. at this point, i don't have enough space for a full-size amp in my apt (lol). so i'll have to wait due to this reason.

however, $1500 for a very good headphone/amp combo (like LCD-2 and Schiit Lyr) seems like a much more reasonable purchase than a $1000 AH-D7000 closed headphone with no detachable cable and questionable overall value. on the other hand, it would be cool to be able to use my Voyager with something other than my Westone 4.

i really want to get started with some full-size headphones, but i don't want this to be a downgrade or side-grade from my current setup. i want to collect headphones which are unique in their own way, so that they won't be made completely obsolete by an upgrade. they should still be able to grow and improve at the same time as my equipment improves.

do you have any other suggestions? or should i just wait until i have enough room for the orthodynamic phones + amp? or maybe JH-3A/JH-16 combo lol... no i don't want to buy both haha!

Woah woah woah. I haven't heard of anyone paying $1000 for the D7000 in a long time. Most people have been getting them around 750 - 800 new. I bought mine from Moon for $800 a few weeks ago.

Don't knock 'em 'til you try 'em...The D7000 is an amazing headphone...Gigantic soundstage for a closed headphone, and comfort that's unmatched by any other headphone.

Although...A Lyr and a pair of LCD 2s isn't a bad investment either. :D

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3,569 of 29,490
Quote:

I don't think a lot of people agree with me, but IMO most of the "mid-fi" phones recommended here are side-grades from the top-tier universal IEMs.  I've got a pair of SE530s and in IMO, out of all the mid-fi 'phones I've heard my HD650s are different but about equal and only my modded T50RPs are clearly better in most areas.  I certainly haven't heard everything, but of the full size 'phones I have heard, the next cheapest thing that clearly better and fit my tastes was the LCD-2.  There are still some less common models for me to try and check out but they are usually less common at meats so I've been a bit reluctant.  A good deal of that is bad luck and the smaller number of models between about $400 and $1K.  If the HE-4/5LEs weren't so bright I'd probably be all over them.  If you don't mind brighter 'phones you'll probably have more choices.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #3,570 of 29,490

Woah woah woah. I haven't heard of anyone paying $1000 for the D7000 in a long time. Most people have been getting them around 750 - 800 new. I bought mine from Moon for $800 a few weeks ago.

Don't knock 'em 'til you try 'em...The D7000 is an amazing headphone...Gigantic soundstage for a closed headphone, and comfort that's unmatched by any other headphone.

Although...A Lyr and a pair of LCD 2s isn't a bad investment either. :D

can you please show me where i can buy them new for $750-800? ebay or on the net... all i've seen were $999 :frowning2:
I don't think a lot of people agree with me, but IMO most of the "mid-fi" phones recommended here are side-grades from the top-tier universal IEMs.  I've got a pair of SE530s and in IMO, out of all the mid-fi 'phones I've heard my HD650s are different but about equal and only my modded T50RPs are clearly better in most areas.  I certainly haven't heard everything, but of the full size 'phones I have heard, the next cheapest thing that clearly better and fit my tastes was the LCD-2.  There are still some less common models for me to try and check out but they are usually less common at meats so I've been a bit reluctant.  A good deal of that is bad luck and the smaller number of models between about $400 and $1K.  If the HE-4/5LEs weren't so bright I'd probably be all over them.  If you don't mind brighter 'phones you'll probably have more choices.

i do mind bright headphones.

i'm really torn here... if MorbidToaster is right, then the AH-D7000 seems like a good deal for $800. it really looks like my kind of sound. this means that i can get it now and enjoy it and then get the LCD-2/Lyr combo later when i have the space for it. this way i'll have all three - top-tier universal IEM and top-tier full-size closed headphones to use at work with my Voyager and high-end open orthos with full-size amp to enjoy at home. otherwise, i'm not so sure anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back