++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 27, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #3,513 of 29,490
Hello crazy* headphone enthusiasts,

I've come to humble ask your opinions about, of all things, headphones.  My budget is about 300 bucks.

Well hi there!

Anyway, you definitely want a closed headphone for Electronic music, and especially if you produce in a rather noisy area (ie. Kids in a house).

Now, you are looking at the Denon D2000. These headphones are amazing for Electronic music. The problem is...they have quite a colored sound. Which makes them not so great for production. They're bass heavy and are a dream for just listening.

My vote goes to the Ultrasone Pro 750. They have a pretty neutral sound in my experience (I did some production of Electronic in my time with them, actually), and sound great for just listening. They've got pretty good isolation as well, and look sexy to boot. They also would leave you a little money to invest in a new DAC/Amp combo if you could squeeze a little more from your budget. They will drive well from your Macbook, but they do benefit from more power.

The biggest noticeable difference besides sound is comfort. The Denon's are pretty much unmatched on comfort, but fall short on isolation for a closed headphone. The Pro 750 will clamp tighter (which isn't a big deal). The problem I had with the Pro 750 was the headband. This can be fixed with a super easy and reversible mod (found here)

Long story short, for production go with the Pro 750 (and they're good fun to listen to). For listening only, get the Denons.

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #3,514 of 29,490
Great! Thanks for the advice, I'll be looking into that!

Cheers.

PS: Would the D5000's be fairly easy to drive from a MP3 player as well?

Yes. I can power my D7000 quite well from a DAP alone. They're easy to drive and will still sound good, but they benefit a ton from amping.

Although...They are kind of brittle, and massive. Not exactly the best portable option.

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #3,515 of 29,490

Quote:
Yes. I can power my D7000 quite well from a DAP alone. They're easy to drive and will still sound good, but they benefit a ton from amping.

Although...They are kind of brittle, and massive. Not exactly the best portable option.

Ah, I see. So in that case for around 3-500$, what would be your pick, when looking at a nice combination between portability and sound quality?
Sorry for all of these questions, but it's nice to have someone to help you around!

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #3,516 of 29,490

Quote:
Well hi there!

Anyway, you definitely want a closed headphone for Electronic music, and especially if you produce in a rather noisy area (ie. Kids in a house).

Now, you are looking at the Denon D2000. These headphones are amazing for Electronic music. The problem is...they have quite a colored sound. Which makes them not so great for production. They're bass heavy and are a dream for just listening.

My vote goes to the Ultrasone Pro 750. They have a pretty neutral sound in my experience (I did some production of Electronic in my time with them, actually), and sound great for just listening. They've got pretty good isolation as well, and look sexy to boot. They also would leave you a little money to invest in a new DAC/Amp combo if you could squeeze a little more from your budget. They will drive well from your Macbook, but they do benefit from more power.

The biggest noticeable difference besides sound is comfort. The Denon's are pretty much unmatched on comfort, but fall short on isolation for a closed headphone. The Pro 750 will clamp tighter (which isn't a big deal). The problem I had with the Pro 750 was the headband. This can be fixed with a super easy and reversible mod (found here)

Long story short, for production go with the Pro 750 (and they're good fun to listen to). For listening only, get the Denons.

Thanks for the reply!

So you think the d2000s are no good for production.  That's a bummer.  I've seen some flaunting their prowess at bass accuracy, so I was hoping they'd be a good middle ground between listening and producing.  The search continues!  (though I haven't totally discounted the d2000s yet)

I haven't really looked into any Ultrasones yet.  Guess it's time to start reading.  What's with the s-logic stuff?  Is that marketing gimmickry or a real thing?  I sort of shied away from the Ultrasones before because they seemed a little too...unique, I guess, with their advertised technological differences.  I'll start taking another look.

Any more feedback from you or others about the d2000 or the Ultrasone Pro 750s or any other options for listening/producing would be greatly appreciated.

p.s.  Are the two pretty comparable in terms of how much they need, or don't need, an amp?  Would a really cheap amp (like, 50 bucks or something) do anything for me compared to my Macbook out?

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #3,517 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply!

So you think the d2000s are no good for production.  That's a bummer.  I've seen some flaunting their prowess at bass accuracy, so I was hoping they'd be a good middle ground between listening and producing.  The search continues!  (though I haven't totally discounted the d2000s yet)

I haven't really looked into any Ultrasones yet.  Guess it's time to start reading.  What's with the s-logic stuff?  Is that marketing gimmickry or a real thing?  I sort of shied away from the Ultrasones before because they seemed a little too...unique, I guess, with their advertised technological differences.  I'll start taking another look.

Any more feedback from you or others about the d2000 or the Ultrasone Pro 750s or any other options for listening/producing would be greatly appreciated.

You could get away with production in the D2000, it would just take a little more effort. They're like KRK monitors. A little bass heavy, but still alright for production. You may just have to tone down the bass a little in the final cut.

S-Logic is (IMO) just the thing that describes the Ultrasone sound signature. It is very much a real thing. Ultrasone is a really big name around Head-Fi when it comes to Electronic music. They just do it so well. The Pro 900 is pretty much the god of headphones for EDM according to quite a few people around here.

The reason I suggested the Pro 750 is their more neutral sound, which would make them better for production. Do some more research on the Ultrasone Pro line. Almost every headphone in the line sounds very different from the others in some way.

EDIT: I'd say yes, as far as amping requirements. They can both be easily driven from a Mac out, but they both benefit from amping.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #3,518 of 29,490
Alright, thanks for the reply again!  Time to drive my wife crazy with some more headphone research!

"Hey honey, now I'm looking at these headphones."
"Neat."
"What do you think?"
"They look fine."
"Don't they look nice?"
"I guess.  Just pick some."

I did at least get her to admit that the hd600s were friggin ugly, though.  Not that I really care what they look like, I just have nothing else to share with her about them.

Anyone else for opinions about me and the pro 750s and how satisfied and happy and splendid they'll make me feel?  Or not?

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #3,519 of 29,490

Quote:

I like both the 750 and 840 better than the M50. However, I wouldn't call them significant upgrades, more like sidesteps. The 840 is a bit smoother overall but because of that you also don't feel the bass thump as strong. The 750 is more U-shaped in response.

If you're looking for an upgrade with strong bass, you might consider something like the Beyer DT770 or Denon D2000/5000.

I was looking at the Denon D2000s and they truly seem the way to go. I see that they only have an impedance of 25ohms. Should I pick up a new amp to use for Denon's and for possible future upgrades, or should I just stay with the nuforce uDac 2?

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #3,520 of 29,490
Ok, I need help buying some headphones as I am undecided on which ones I should buy.

I would like some headphones (pref.) under ~$400 USD.
I will be listening to music (mostly) from my iPhone 4 or Mac. But I also have a high-end Vinyl player, and a Les Paul (which I can plug in my headphones). Those two might be considered audiophile but that is not the primary use (though I will use them) of my headphones, so I don't know if I should get audiophile headphones.
I will be listening mostly to Classic Rock/Rock. Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon), Led Zep, etc.
I really like listening to high quality music, but not sure if the headphones would make a big difference since I will be using my iPhone since it's portable.
I would like what someone considers good bass. And I would prefer them to be somewhat portable, if not portable.
I prefer them to be noise-cancelling, and comfortable for long-period use.
If an amp IS necessary, I will consider it (If necessary, portable, good, and cheap.)
The appearance doesn't matter, but I don't want to look like an idiot wearing these outside/wherever.
I don't mind if they're in-ear, on-ear, around-ear. As long as they're what I'm looking for.

I was looking at the PXC 450, HD 650, and EarSonic's SM3. But they can be any other headphones.

Thank you!

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #3,521 of 29,490
Quote:
I was looking at the Denon D2000s and they truly seem the way to go. I see that they only have an impedance of 25ohms. Should I pick up a new amp to use for Denon's and for possible future upgrades, or should I just stay with the nuforce uDac 2?

The D2000s will sound good from even a weak amp so you should probably just get the 'phones first and see how you like it with what you've already got.  If you decide to upgrade to a better amp in the future be sure to look for something with a lower output impedance than the uDAC 2.  That will tighten up the bass some.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #3,522 of 29,490

You'll love the D2000 if you like the M50. It's a great upgrade. As for a new amp, people praise the NuForce HDP for pairing with this Denon line. You get one of those and you'll be set for quite awhile. The HDP is pretty much a jack of all trades for a good price.

Oh, but if you're not looking to spend more, the uDAC should power them just fine.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #3,523 of 29,490

Quote:

You'll be just fine with the udac2.

Apr 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #3,524 of 29,490
Ok, I need help buying some headphones as I am undecided on which ones I should buy.

I would like some headphones (pref.) under ~$400 USD.
I will be listening to music (mostly) from my iPhone 4 or Mac. But I also have a high-end Vinyl player, and a Les Paul (which I can plug in my headphones). Those two might be considered audiophile but that is not the primary use (though I will use them) of my headphones, so I don't know if I should get audiophile headphones.
I will be listening mostly to Classic Rock/Rock. Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon), Led Zep, etc.
I really like listening to high quality music, but not sure if the headphones would make a big difference since I will be using my iPhone, because it's portable.
I would like what someone would consider a good bass. And I would prefer them to be somewhat portable, if not portable.
I prefer them to be noise-canceling, and comfortable for long-period use.
If an amp IS necessary, I will consider it (If necessary, portable, good, and cheap.)
The appearance doesn't matter, but I don't want to look like an idiot wearing these outside/wherever.
I don't mind if they're in-ear, on-ear, around-ear. As long as they're what I'm looking for.
I was looking at the PXC 450, HD 650, and EarSonic's SM3. But they can be any other headphones.

Please, I need to order them in now or else I won't get them in time

Thank you!

Apr 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #3,525 of 29,490
Thanks for all your advice Morbidtoaster.  I've been looking into the Ultrasone Pro 750 and they seem to be fairly controversial.  Love 'em or hate 'em.  Unfortunately for me, I can't try them before buying.  The complaints of overly sharp treble kind of worry me.  

The Denon d2000s on the other hand don't seem to be very controversial.  Most seem to agree they're at least pretty good, and I've found very little strident opposition.  If the bass is a little heavy, I'll get used to it and adjust accordingly.  Honestly I think I'd decided on them before my first post.  It seems if I don't like them, finding a buyer (then maybe a Beyer) won't be hard.  So unless someone wants to talk me out of it in the next few minutes....

I'm all ears.

p.s.  I haven't done much ebay shopping.  I'm assuming if a seller has a "top-rated seller", 3000 sales, and 99 percent feedback I'm pretty safe?  Specifically this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Denon-AH-D2000-Professional-DJ-Stereo-Headphone-/220771711274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336704f92a#ht_1395wt_907

p.s.s.  oh god i'm so indecisive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back