++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 25, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #3,436 of 29,490
The PX100 will definitely leak too much.  Hmm... now I'll have to think about what to recommend for you.

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #3,437 of 29,490

Hey all,

This is my first time posting, it looks like a great resource. After going through too many below average earbuds, I've decided it's time to upgrade to a higher-quality, full-size headphone. Unfortunately, I'm absolutely lost as to where to start and look, so I figured I would turn to this community for help.

I'm looking to spend somewhere between $80-$100 on over-the-ear headphones. Being a graduate student who is always on the go and often times out of the country, I would like something that is durable enough to handle being transported around in a Timbuk2 messenger bag. I've listened to a fair amount of headphones at a few local stores and realize that I'm not looking for something with an overwhelmingly strong bass. I primarily listen to mellower music (The Antlers, Bon Iver, The National, The Tallest Man on Earth etc.) but regularly switch it up with things a bit heavier (Frightened Rabbit, Phantogram, Black Joe Lewis) including tri-hop and brief forays into my punk rock roots. 

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #3,438 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey all,

This is my first time posting, it looks like a great resource. After going through too many below average earbuds, I've decided it's time to upgrade to a higher-quality, full-size headphone. Unfortunately, I'm absolutely lost as to where to start and look, so I figured I would turn to this community for help.

I'm looking to spend somewhere between $80-$100 on over-the-ear headphones. Being a graduate student who is always on the go and often times out of the country, I would like something that is durable enough to handle being transported around in a Timbuk2 messenger bag. I've listened to a fair amount of headphones at a few local stores and realize that I'm not looking for something with an overwhelmingly strong bass. I primarily listen to mellower music (The Antlers, Bon Iver, The National, The Tallest Man on Earth etc.) but regularly switch it up with things a bit heavier (Frightened Rabbit, Phantogram, Black Joe Lewis) including tri-hop and brief forays into my punk rock roots. 

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm actually in the same boat as you, as you can see from the last couple replies. If you're looking for durability, you could always try the Shure SRH440's. From what I've been reading, they're a rather durable headphone, without a heavy bass. They're about 100 bucks, so right within your price range as well. I've heard a lot of good things about the Sennheiser HD 448's as well, which are also about 100 bucks.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/shure-srh440.php#tabs - 440's

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd-448.php#tabs - 448's

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #3,439 of 29,490
I think i have finally decided on the AKG K702 (they have a bit more bass than the K701s and apparently have a wider sound stage and feel a lot more open than most headphones (Yippee!)). Anyone know a good amp (preferrably more portable, it will come with me and the headphones, my ipod, and laptop) to pair with these? Thanks!

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #3,440 of 29,490

I think the K701 and K702 should be the same, but I haven't compared them. No portable amp can probably drive the K702 well. I've made this mistake in the past. Maybe there is one that costs a small fortune that could do it. You could try the E9. It's not a portable amp, but it's tiny. It runs about $120 and even drives them better than my Asgard.
Quote:
I think i have finally decided on the AKG K702 (they have a bit more bass than the K701s and apparently have a wider sound stage and feel a lot more open than most headphones (Yippee!)). Anyone know a good amp (preferrably more portable, it will come with me and the headphones, my ipod, and laptop) to pair with these? Thanks!

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #3,441 of 29,490
I think the K701 and K702 should be the same, but I haven't compared them. No portable amp can probably drive the K702 well. I've made this mistake in the past. Maybe there is one that costs a small fortune that could do it. You could try the E9. It's not a portable amp, but it's tiny. It runs about $120 and even drives them better than my Asgard.

They are supposedly the same headphone, but I haven't heard them either.

There's plenty of portable amps that will power them, but they are a bit on the expensive side.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #3,442 of 29,490
I've owned both the K701 and K702 and they sounded the same to me. Granted, I did not own both at the same time.

Several of the newer generation portables should be able to drive the K701, like the Stepdance, SR-71B, iBasso P4/PB2, etc. I powered the K701 with a D10 and it was sufficient though not "loud". Any of those newer ones are at least an order of magnitude stronger and I imagine should be enough for the K701. Seriously, if people are finding that they can power an LCD-2 with a Stepdance, they'll be able to push a K701.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #3,443 of 29,490
Apr 26, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #3,445 of 29,490
Quote:

Quote:
They are supposedly the same headphone, but I haven't heard them either.

There's plenty of portable amps that will power them, but they are a bit on the expensive side.

Quote:
I've owned both the K701 and K702 and they sounded the same to me. Granted, I did not own both at the same time.

Several of the newer generation portables should be able to drive the K701, like the Stepdance, SR-71B, iBasso P4/PB2, etc. I powered the K701 with a D10 and it was sufficient though not "loud". Any of those newer ones are at least an order of magnitude stronger and I imagine should be enough for the K701. Seriously, if people are finding that they can power an LCD-2 with a Stepdance, they'll be able to push a K701.

The XM6 or XM5 could work as well.  They've got pretty much the same amp section and are among the strongest single ended portables.  It should handle whatever you throw at it short of an HE series or K1000.  My XM6 can take my HD650s far louder that I care to listen and sounds excellent doing it.  Its the same story with low Z phones like my modded T50RPs and medium Z phones like my vintage Yamaha YH-3 orthos.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #3,446 of 29,490

The XM6 or XM5 could work as well.  They've got pretty much the same amp section and are among the strongest single ended portables.  It should handle whatever you throw at it short of an HE series or K1000.  My XM6 can take my HD650s far louder that I care to listen and sounds excellent doing it.  Its the same story with low Z phones like my modded T50RPs and medium Z phones like my vintage Yamaha YH-3 orthos.

I wanted to suggest the XM 6, but I avoid recommending things I've not had experience with.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #3,447 of 29,490
Quote:
Neutral, but with enough bass to satisfy.

Basically. I want the HE 6...I just need to know if it has enough bass for my tastes. The HE5LE certainly seemed to, but I didn't get quite enough time to judge.

They all three go really deep which is what I prefer most in my bass.  I think that's the most important factor in the sound having satisfying "weight" to it.  In regard to which has the most, if you're anything like me, the treble is probably what you're going to "equalize" the volume you listen at by.  In other words, you'll probably turn it up until something in the upper mids and treble sounds too loud.  If you superimposed all those graphs and zeroed them somewhere between 2khz and 10khz you'd see that the LCD-2s should have comparatively more bass.

The 5LEs have a bit of a smile curve to them are the least "neutral" by a slight margin.  They're almost like an open version of you D7000s, but they are the cheapest.  The HE-6s and LCD-2 are both more neutral with the 6s being a bit brighter.  I think the LCD-2s are both a bit closer to reality and would be easier to listen to for long stretches, but everyone has different tastes.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #3,448 of 29,490
Quote:
I wanted to suggest the XM 6, but I avoid recommending things I've not had experience with.

Me to, except about the Arrow.  I've heard its quite good with the HD650s well.  I was considering it myself but went the XM6 because it had a DAC built in and I listen to a lot of Pandora at work from a business PC with so-so sound hardware of its own.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #3,449 of 29,490
Me to, except about the Arrow.  I've heard its quite good with the HD650s well.  I was considering it myself but went the XM6 because it had a DAC built in and I listen to a lot of Pandora at work from a business PC with so-so sound hardware of its own.

I REALLY want to try the XM 6. It just looks brilliant. I do love the Arrow though. It really sounds good with my current Klipsch S4s.

Also, I think that paired with the Lyr I'd prefer the HE 6 judging by your description. Which is what I thought I would...think...

I WANT ONE.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #3,450 of 29,490
I really want to try the XM6 as well (partly because it's Canadian as well), but I already have a D10 and getting another portable dac/amp really isn't justifiable (especially when I've sunk a lot of money into my current DIY amps).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back