++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 20, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #3,287 of 29,490
One for desktop use, one for portable use with the M50 (using a Fiio E5 at the moment)

Quote:
What kind of inputs do you want? portable or not? For lack of any details, I'll just recommend one of the current FOTM: Leckerton UHA-4.

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #3,288 of 29,490
I'm looking for some detailed headphones in the 250 price range. Something very detailed. I love how my etymotic MC5 sound but I can only wear iem's for so long. I listen to mostly rock/hard rock and every once in a while I listen to hip-hop. Thanks.

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #3,289 of 29,490
I finally decided on these

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-202-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B000065BP9/ref=pd_cp_e_3

I agree completely that the sony is a good buy but since it's my first pair of cans am not sure how much i'll like em as compared to IEM's so don't wanna splurge. Any thoughts on this one? 1499 reviews and majority seem to really like em!

Quote:
It's a point of contention whether there's an actual difference between the two. I've owned both (though not simultaneously) and they sounded very similar if not identical to me. Your music should sound just fine unless your music is ripped from low quality youtube videos or something. The V6/7506 is a great bang-for-the-buck headphone and their durability will ensure they will last a long time. I say it's a better investment now rather than replacing some cheapies over and over.

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #3,290 of 29,490

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-202-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B000065BP9/ref=pd_cp_e_3

I agree completely that the sony is a good buy but since it's my first pair of cans am not sure how much i'll like em as compared to IEM's so don't wanna splurge. Any thoughts on this one? 1499 reviews and majority seem to really like em!

I own those and there's a few things you should know first.

Build quality:
Hundreds of people have reported the right ear getting a short after a couple months (Mine got one and I babied 'em)
Warranty is great (go Sennhesier! 2 year warranty). E-mail them and tell them whats wrong with the headphones and they will ship you a new one.
Be sure to E-MAIL not call. The thing is made up of 99% plastic, but for the price its to be expected. Keeps it light-weight.

Price:
I got mine for $20 when they were on sale at amazon. $40 is not worth it.
Try getting the "new" version for $25 off amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-202-MK-Professional/dp/B003LPTAYI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303377498&sr=1-1
Hopefully they did something about the cable.

Sound:
Not an audiophile, so I don't know the correct terms.
Only really noticeable thing is the bass. The bass can get muddy. Theres little things about the SQ, but its a $20 pair of headphones. They are great for the price.
Very boomy, instead of being clear/true

Comfort:
Light-weight. You either love or hate the way Sennheiser shapes their 'phones. I find them pretty comfy and a perfect fit for my ears.

Might want to look at the JVC HA-RX700. I do not own these, but I am going to order them once I get my refund for my M30s (got a defective pair, and wasn't too impressed with 'em)
From everything I've read they are great cans, especially for the price ($34 off amazon). Not very portable, though. They are pretty big, but from what I've read they are pretty light.
They will probably need an amp, though. (64Ohm). Its just something to think about or maybe a future purchase.

My M30 has 65Ohm and my iPod (32Ohm) drives them just fine. My Clip+ (16Ohm) I have to turn the volume 3/4 for normal listening and max is very loud, but it could be louder.
Battery life on my MP3 players only went down 30~60 mintues. Please keep in mind that my iPod and Clip+ are Rockbox'd. I never tried them in OF and I already sent them back, so I can't test.

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #3,291 of 29,490
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I went with Denon AH-D2000s (upgraded from D1000s) and they arrived yesterday. They sound incredible, and as a bonus I'll be getting an M-Stage Matrix amp in the mail in the next few days. Whoo!

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #3,292 of 29,490

Quote:

There was a good review of 202 on Headfonia

http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd-202-review/

The 202 is cheap as chips so not much of a risk getting it tho I personally wouldn't get any low end Sennheiser.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #3,293 of 29,490

Quote:
One for desktop use, one for portable use with the M50 (using a Fiio E5 at the moment)

some budget options:
Electric Avenue pa2v2, HotAudio Thunderbolt, FiiO e7, iBasso T3/T4, cmoy by JDS/BSG/FredFred

Might as well use the same amp for home as portable. It gets kind of silly to be spending so much money on two separate amps for a single headphone.

Quote:
I'm looking for some detailed headphones in the 250 price range. Something very detailed. I love how my etymotic MC5 sound but I can only wear iem's for so long. I listen to mostly rock/hard rock and every once in a while I listen to hip-hop. Thanks.

Perhaps a Grado? The SR225 fits in your price range.

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #3,294 of 29,490
What full-size headphones besides the DT 990 600 ohms combine the comfortability and immense soundstage of the AD700 with the bass impact of the M50s?

I thought the DT 880s, AD900s, or DT770s would fit the bill, but after reading so many threads it seems nothing besides the Beyer DT 990-600s are what I’m looking for.  

I will be using the FiiO E7/E9 combo to power the cans. I’m debating whether to just keep my M50s for bass heavy music like electronica and hip hop, and the AD700 for jazz, classical, and New Age since I bought both of those headphones for $160.

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #3,295 of 29,490
long time lurker first time poster.

looking for a full size headphone to use with my Roland electric drums,
I'm looking for something, that first of all have to have great sound stage, secondly, good but more importantly precise bass, and lastly versatile sound range

i have narrowed it down to the Grado Alessandro ms1, ATH-M50, or the ultrasone 580s, but really hate making a decision like this without being able to actually listen to the real things(also for ppl who owns any of these, are there and comfort, heat/sweat problems to watch for?).

questions:
1.Im not really sure on the open back thing, as i might also use what ever i end up getting for leisure use outside as well as at home, so can open backs be used say on a noisy street, or in a quiet office?
2.im leaning towards the 580s, but as i want to use the headphone for more then drum playing, just wandering are the ultrasone 580s just know for their bass or what? how is its mid to high range and how does the m50 compare in that sense? im looking for something versatile as i listen a wide range of music, from rock to rap to classical.

price is not really an issue, but id prefer not go over the low ranged ones unless they just cant get the same soundstage as well as sq as say the mid-high ranged one, then i might have to look into hd650, dt990, d2000...etc

also one more curious question, my drum module says it has a output of 1k ohms, so is that technically enough to power the high impendence headphones, or do the amps people use have other properties/features thats needed, sorry if this is a stupid questions, havent really read too much on amps.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #3,296 of 29,490

Quote:
What full-size headphones besides the DT 990 600 ohms combine the comfortability and immense soundstage of the AD700 with the bass impact of the M50s?

I thought the DT 880s, AD900s, or DT770s would fit the bill, but after reading so many threads it seems nothing besides the Beyer DT 990-600s are what I’m looking for.  

I will be using the FiiO E7/E9 combo to power the cans. I’m debating whether to just keep my M50s for bass heavy music like electronica and hip hop, and the AD700 for jazz, classical, and New Age since I bought both of those headphones for $160.

Getting large soundstage and heavy bass impact together is tricky as *typically* the wide soundstages are easier to achieve in open headphones, and bass impact is more easily found in closed headphones. The best I've heard would be orthos and stats, but those don't come cheap. A modded Fostex T50RP might be up your alley, or even transplanted drivers.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #3,297 of 29,490
Quote:

The DT990 is probably the cheapest way to get what you're looking for.  If you're not up for lots of trial and error in modding experiments with the T50RP then the HE-4 would be the next cheapest contender I can think of.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #3,298 of 29,490

Quote:
Getting large soundstage and heavy bass impact together is tricky as *typically* the wide soundstages are easier to achieve in open headphones, and bass impact is more easily found in closed headphones. The best I've heard would be orthos and stats, but those don't come cheap. A modded Fostex T50RP might be up your alley, or even transplanted drivers.

right.. make sense now, why it is hard to find the combination of the two. ok orthos meaning orthodynamic headphones right, whats stats?

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #3,300 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

I own those and there's a few things you should know first.

Build quality:
Hundreds of people have reported the right ear getting a short after a couple months (Mine got one and I babied 'em)
Warranty is great (go Sennhesier! 2 year warranty). E-mail them and tell them whats wrong with the headphones and they will ship you a new one.
Be sure to E-MAIL not call. The thing is made up of 99% plastic, but for the price its to be expected. Keeps it light-weight.

Price:
I got mine for $20 when they were on sale at amazon. $40 is not worth it.
Try getting the "new" version for $25 off amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-202-MK-Professional/dp/B003LPTAYI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303377498&sr=1-1
Hopefully they did something about the cable.

Sound:
Not an audiophile, so I don't know the correct terms.
Only really noticeable thing is the bass. The bass can get muddy. Theres little things about the SQ, but its a $20 pair of headphones. They are great for the price.
Very boomy, instead of being clear/true

Comfort:
Light-weight. You either love or hate the way Sennheiser shapes their 'phones. I find them pretty comfy and a perfect fit for my ears.

Might want to look at the JVC HA-RX700. I do not own these, but I am going to order them once I get my refund for my M30s (got a defective pair, and wasn't too impressed with 'em)
From everything I've read they are great cans, especially for the price ($34 off amazon). Not very portable, though. They are pretty big, but from what I've read they are pretty light.
They will probably need an amp, though. (64Ohm). Its just something to think about or maybe a future purchase.

My M30 has 65Ohm and my iPod (32Ohm) drives them just fine. My Clip+ (16Ohm) I have to turn the volume 3/4 for normal listening and max is very loud, but it could be louder.
Battery life on my MP3 players only went down 30~60 mintues. Please keep in mind that my iPod and Clip+ are Rockbox'd. I never tried them in OF and I already sent them back, so I can't test.

Thanks for the detailed response! I did consider the JVC HA-RX700 but read the review that tyoung8 mentioned below and that got me convinced. I don't mind spending a lil extra but would really like to hear em before buying.

Quote:

There was a good review of 202 on Headfonia

http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd-202-review/

The 202 is cheap as chips so not much of a risk getting it tho I personally wouldn't get any low end Sennheiser.

Yeah I read this one just yesterday and is a major reason why i am considering the 202s, he's praised it a lot in the review and that's what got me curious.
Thanks for the response!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back