++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 18, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #3,226 of 29,490
Everyone is scared about those 600 ohm Beyers for some reason. The 600 ohm 770s, 880, and 990s (but NOT the T1s) have a fairly flat impedance curve which makes them fairly to drive by anything with enough voltage.

They'll sound great straight out of most DAPs BUT they will be uselessly quiet if there's any sort of background noise. Anything with at least an 8 volt power supply will probably be fine and 12 should be enough for most anyone.

Unless you want to listen really really loud, you don't have to buy a hefty tube amp unless you're doing it for the tube sound.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #3,227 of 29,490

Quote:

Are "fine" headphones worth 250 EUR ? Are they the best closed headphones in this price range ? Are they comfy enough for long gaming sessions (several hours at once ?) or do they cause a lot of fatigue ?

Thanks for your time and help !

They're good headphones, but that's a terrible price for them. You can get the pro models for less than half that.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #3,228 of 29,490
Man im sitting in regret of not snatching up any of the dt990 600ohms that sold used for 220.... man... I really want to hear them but I dont want to buy new. I will say that I feel very satisfied with my purchase of the ms2i. Amazing sounding headphone. Definitely a tad mellower than its brother the 325i. Both sound amazing

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #3,229 of 29,490
Thx Mr Toaster,

I'll do some more reading, and try to get a store that will let me demo.
What i want to avoid is dropping this much cash and be disappointed.  
I know it is a lot of money, but relatively small if sonically it could compare with a high end traditional loudspeaker based audio system

Thx,
Tom

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #3,230 of 29,490
Hi all, i may potentially be able to lay my hands on a set of k1000s in the next 2 weeks (dont ask where i am buying them, i wont tell you in case someone beats me too it :p ) so i will be needing a amp, and i know my E9 isnt up to the job. I am but a poor uni student, and have little money. anyone know if a millet max drive the K1000s ok?

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #3,231 of 29,490
Thanks for the replies, I'm now considering the Sony MDR XB-700, TMA-1 and Sennheiser HD 25-II

Which have the clearest sounding bass? I don't want just a thump thump, I want a nice deep bass, but not overpowering, I'vbe heard the TMA-1 are a bit overbassy so that puts them in the dark light for now, but for lets say I'm going to use them for ALL types of music, which would be the best for that, but with a slight bit more bass than average?

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #3,232 of 29,490
Thanks for the replies, I'm now considering the Sony MDR XB-700, TMA-1 and Sennheiser HD 25-II

Which have the clearest sounding bass? I don't want just a thump thump, I want a nice deep bass, but not overpowering, I'vbe heard the TMA-1 are a bit overbassy so that puts them in the dark light for now, but for lets say I'm going to use them for ALL types of music, which would be the best for that, but with a slight bit more bass than average?

HD 25-1 II goes best with all kinds of music IMO...But the problem with that headphone is comfort. It's extremely hit or miss. Person to person I always hear something different. I sold my HD 25-1 II because it was extremely uncomfortable for me. The clamp on you head is BRUTAL, and the headband, no matter how much I split or adjusted it just messed up my head. That and the stock cable is awful.

That being said...I'm now selling my TMA-1 because I'm going for an ultra portable IEM rig instead of a headphone based one. Just to say this though, the TMA-1 is the most comfortable portable headphone I've ever worn.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #3,233 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all, i may potentially be able to lay my hands on a set of k1000s in the next 2 weeks (dont ask where i am buying them, i wont tell you in case someone beats me too it :p ) so i will be needing a amp, and i know my E9 isnt up to the job. I am but a poor uni student, and have little money. anyone know if a millet max drive the K1000s ok?

I think in the original manual AKG recommended at least an 8 (in to 8 ohms) watt speaker amp.  If I were you I'd scare up a vintage receiver and use the speaker taps from it.  You should ask among people who actually own it for any non-obvious pitfalls.  This thread caters towards much cheaper gear.  Start your own thread in the high end forum or find a K1000 related thread to post your question in.

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #3,234 of 29,490

Since the both of you guys are playing with budgets well outside the realm of most people in this thread, I would highly recommend you keep reading until you formulate an idea of what you want. There's also a "high end" forum here to peruse and see what kind of gear people are using.

For reproducing the feel of speakers, the closest I've heard/felt with orthodynamics and Stax.

Armaegis, thanks for the reply, I'm checking those out now.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #3,235 of 29,490
Hi there, 
I want to spend on the best headphones $300 can buy, I will not be using a amp too, but I will venture into amps in the future. 
I'm currently looking at the:
AD1000
AD900
AD700
K701
K702
K601
HD600
HD598
HD558
PC350
PC360
SRH940
SRH840
I will be using it for gaming and music.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #3,236 of 29,490

Quote:
They are all quite different beasts. The PX200 is quite neutral with strong detailing and a quick bass, and is small and portable and sits on the ear. The HD428 is the least bassy of the bunch, full sized, and does not collapse in any way. The XB500 is big (not as big as the 700) with lots of bloomy though slightly blurry bass, very comfy due to the huge pads.

Thanks for all the help! :) I've decided to go for the HD428, I managed to find them in a shop here in NZ and they should get shipped to me in the next couple of days, I'm really looking forward to getting them :D

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #3,237 of 29,490
Music genres: A lot of metal (Dethklok, Pantera, Metallica, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, System of a Down) some other rock (Kings of Leon, Wolfmother, Alice in Chains, Billy Talent), classic rock, and a lot of misc genres (a bit of rap, dubstep, etc.)
Portable: Yep.
Price range: Hoping under $300CAD
Amped: Don't know enough about this to comment.
Closed/Open: Looking for a closed headphone

I'm currently on some Alessandro MS-1s, and I like them a lot, but I'm looking for something with more bass (I love bass) and closed, so I can listen to my music on the bus/wherever without outside sounds disturbing me and without my music disturbing other people. Main reason for wanting an upgrade is that I'm getting into dubstep and it's making me crave more bass in all of my music. I could probably live with an open headphone if it gave me a lot more bass and was better than closed headphone options in my price range.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #3,238 of 29,490
Looking for some help here.  I have always used earbuds and I currently use a $40 pair of skullcandy earbuds (not sure of model #, my fiance bought them for me).  I am looking for a good pair of cans to use while I am at work...the earbuds will suffice while I am at the gym.

Music genres: 40% alternative rock/hard rock, 60% house/electronic/trance type "bass" heavy music.  I want something with great clarity for rock music and heavy/tight for the bass heavy house type of music. 
Portable: No, only at the computer at work.
Price range: Under $100
Amped: NO...being powered by an iPhone 4
Closed/Open: Closed only.
Headphone preference: I am fairly open at this point with everything mentioned above in mind.  Saw somebody mention Audio Technica ATH-M50 on the first/second page of this thread. 

Thank you!

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #3,239 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi there, 
I want to spend on the best headphones $300 can buy, I will not be using a amp too, but I will venture into amps in the future. 
I'm currently looking at the:
AD1000
AD900
AD700
K701
K702
K601
HD600
HD598
HD558
PC350
PC360
SRH940
SRH840
I will be using it for gaming and music.

Check the first post of this thread for a link to a gaming headphone review which covers a lot of those listed and can help you narrow down your choices.

Quote:
Looking for some help here.  I have always used earbuds and I currently use a $40 pair of skullcandy earbuds (not sure of model #, my fiance bought them for me).  I am looking for a good pair of cans to use while I am at work...the earbuds will suffice while I am at the gym.

Music genres: 40% alternative rock/hard rock, 60% house/electronic/trance type "bass" heavy music.  I want something with great clarity for rock music and heavy/tight for the bass heavy house type of music. 
Portable: No, only at the computer at work.
Price range: Under $100
Amped: NO...being powered by an iPhone 4
Closed/Open: Closed only.
Headphone preference: I am fairly open at this point with everything mentioned above in mind.  Saw somebody mention Audio Technica ATH-M50 on the first/second page of this thread. 

Thank you!

The Sennheiser PX200-ii fits in your budget, is easy to drive, and has a tight detailed bass. The M50's are popular here, but are above your budget.

Quote:
Music genres: A lot of metal (Dethklok, Pantera, Metallica, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, System of a Down) some other rock (Kings of Leon, Wolfmother, Alice in Chains, Billy Talent), classic rock, and a lot of misc genres (a bit of rap, dubstep, etc.)
Portable: Yep.
Price range: Hoping under $300CAD
Amped: Don't know enough about this to comment.
Closed/Open: Looking for a closed headphone

I'm currently on some Alessandro MS-1s, and I like them a lot, but I'm looking for something with more bass (I love bass) and closed, so I can listen to my music on the bus/wherever without outside sounds disturbing me and without my music disturbing other people. Main reason for wanting an upgrade is that I'm getting into dubstep and it's making me crave more bass in all of my music. I could probably live with an open headphone if it gave me a lot more bass and was better than closed headphone options in my price range.

For a bassy portable, the Phiaton MS400 has a nice and thick bottom end. The AKG K81/518/181 are also very strong and have great isolation, but also clamp much harder.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #3,240 of 29,490

Quote:
They're good headphones, but that's a terrible price for them. You can get the pro models for less than half that.

As a reminder, this quote is about Beyer DT770 / 600 @ 250 EUR.

250 EUR is the official price on beyer's official website, for the consumer edition.

Pro model starts indeed @ 179 EUR for both 80 and 250 ohms models. What would be the major difference between  the pro and consumer version apart from the "clamping force" I've read about around here ?

The Pro's can be customized with either a limiter and / or headtracking (wth is that ?)

Thanks for all that input, it is greatly helping me thinking about my choice.

Edit - Nevermind, I've found answers in here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back