++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 18, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #3,211 of 29,490
Hi guys.

I am currently looking forward to upgrading my computer audio setup from... well... nothing (onboard + Sennhs PC151). I have for now narrowed down my future soundcard to
1/ Xense (incl. PC350)
2/ Essence ST
3/ Xonar DX + Fiio E9.

I will be mainly gaming, but I could use the headphones when playing digital piano (clavinova CLP320).

I have read countless posts in here but I can't make up my mind, so I've decided to come and look for your priceless advice.

I am not too much into competitive gaming, I am rather enjoying single-player. So I am more after immersion and overall sound quality  than after pinpoint positioning.

I have not yet decided whether I'd like closed or open headphones. It depends on how much a leakage (in and out) there is in the open models... Will the wife watching TV in the same room totally ruin the experience with open cans ?

Is it worth spending more than for the Xense bundle (nice soundcard, decent HP for 220 EUR) ? Knowing than going up from there will probably cost me an additional 150 - 200 EUR (source = 200 EUR, HP = 200-300 EUR).

I want to spend max 300 EUR on the headphones.

I have seen excellent comments on the Beyers. Are there other options ?

Thanks.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #3,212 of 29,490
So what are your opinions of the DT-770 Pro? I know your opinion of the A700 Armaegis; what is your view of them MorbidToaster?

Quote:
Quote:
I suppose, but the A700 and DT990 are huge and not what I would call neck-wearable. At least the Beyers are a bit more rugged for stuffing into a bag, while the AT's not so much. In any event, I've seen people asked to put large headphones into their carry-on/check-in before, and some airlines make you take off large headphones during takeoff/descent/turbulence/etc while smaller ones or iems are usually ok.

Really? I've never had that problem before with my bigger cans. That seems like an odd thing to make someone do.

Regardless, yeah, I will agree on the ruggedness. Beyers can take a beating that most ATH cans can't.

Quote:
Maybe they worry that large headphones are a choking/strangulation hazard...? Or maybe some of those beefy ones like the DT48 can be used as a blunt weapon.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #3,213 of 29,490
So what are your opinions of the DT-770 Pro? I know your opinion of the A700 Armaegis; what is your view of them MorbidToaster?

I actually really enjoyed the 770 Pro when I heard it at the meet recently. I still think it's quite unattractive, but it's a little bit more bass heavy than the regular 770. That being said, it may be too much bass for a lot of people. I'm a Bass head so I really enjoy them both.

As far as ruggedness goes I think they Pro has the edge, but they both feel like they could take a beating,

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #3,214 of 29,490
I'm locked in between them and the A700 because I've heard so may great reviews of them yet the 770 Pro has great bass and highs and isolates very well.

Quote:
Quote:

I actually really enjoyed the 770 Pro when I heard it at the meet recently. I still think it's quite unattractive, but it's a little bit more bass heavy than the regular 770. That being said, it may be too much bass for a lot of people. I'm a Bass head so I really enjoy them both.

As far as ruggedness goes I think they Pro has the edge, but they both feel like they could take a beating,

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #3,215 of 29,490
I'm locked in between them and the A700 because I've heard so may great reviews of them yet the 770 Pro has great bass and highs and isolates very well.

Can't comment on the A700 comfort, but Beyer pads are often called the most comfortable earpads in the universe. Just sayin'. :wink:

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #3,216 of 29,490
Thank you for your advise :) .

Quote:
Quote:

Can't comment on the A700 comfort, but Beyer pads are often called the most comfortable earpads in the universe. Just sayin'.
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #3,217 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys.

I am currently looking forward to upgrading my computer audio setup from... well... nothing (onboard + Sennhs PC151). I have for now narrowed down my future soundcard to
1/ Xense (incl. PC350)
2/ Essence ST
3/ Xonar DX + Fiio E9.

I will be mainly gaming, but I could use the headphones when playing digital piano (clavinova CLP320).

I have read countless posts in here but I can't make up my mind, so I've decided to come and look for your priceless advice.

I am not too much into competitive gaming, I am rather enjoying single-player. So I am more after immersion and overall sound quality  than after pinpoint positioning.

I have not yet decided whether I'd like closed or open headphones. It depends on how much a leakage (in and out) there is in the open models... Will the wife watching TV in the same room totally ruin the experience with open cans ?

Is it worth spending more than for the Xense bundle (nice soundcard, decent HP for 220 EUR) ? Knowing than going up from there will probably cost me an additional 150 - 200 EUR (source = 200 EUR, HP = 200-300 EUR).

I want to spend max 300 EUR on the headphones.

I have seen excellent comments on the Beyers. Are there other options ?

Thanks.

You will want closed headphones. Otherwise there will be too much noise from the TV interfering with your music/gaming. The DT770 are a fine headphone and have excellent isolation and comfort.

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #3,218 of 29,490

Quote:
You will want closed headphones. Otherwise there will be too much noise from the TV interfering with your music/gaming. The DT770 are a fine headphone and have excellent isolation and comfort.

Are "fine" headphones worth 250 EUR ? Are they the best closed headphones in this price range ? Are they comfy enough for long gaming sessions (several hours at once ?) or do they cause a lot of fatigue ?

Thanks for your time and help !

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #3,219 of 29,490

Are "fine" headphones worth 250 EUR ? Are they the best closed headphones in this price range ? Are they comfy enough for long gaming sessions (several hours at once ?) or do they cause a lot of fatigue ?

Thanks for your time and help !

The 770s are tried and true headphones. Well worth the price, although I'd check the FS forums to get a better deal.

They're pretty much the most comfortable headphone I've put on besides my D7000 and the LCD 2. That being said, no fatigue, and the best velour earpads money can buy.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #3,220 of 29,490
Is it correct to say that I should favor the 600 ohm version of the premium serie, as it is presumably the highest quality of the different flavors 32 / 250 / 600 ?

Or should I go with the DT770 Pro 80 / 250 version, with / without limiter, with / without headtracking ?

What are those anyway ?

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #3,221 of 29,490
Is it correct to say that I should favor the 600 ohm version of the premium serie, as it is presumably the highest quality of the different flavors 32 / 250 / 600 ?

Or should I go with the DT770 Pro 80 / 250 version, with / without limiter, with / without headtracking ?

What are those anyway ?

600 Ohms is definitely the way to go if you can power them. 600 Ohm Berys need some serious power to actually sound good. What is your source?

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #3,222 of 29,490

Quote:
600 Ohms is definitely the way to go if you can power them. 600 Ohm Berys need some serious power to actually sound good. What is your source?

I'm thinking of starting my journey with the built-in amp of the Essence ST sound card, which seems to be on par with Fiio's E9 if I understand their respective specs correctly (eg: both power output of 80mV @ 600 ohms).

Is it going to be enough ?

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #3,223 of 29,490
I'm thinking of starting my journey with the built-in amp of the Essence ST sound card, which seems to be on par with Fiio's E9 if I understand their respective specs correctly (eg: both power output of 80mV @ 600 ohms).

I'm not too sure, honestly. I haven't gotten the chance to try something like that on my E9. Try and get some impressions of this exact set up and see how well it works. Might want to bump down to the 250 Ohm cans if you feel unsafe about powering them.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #3,224 of 29,490

The 600s don't need much power to sound good, however they do need more voltage than the average DAP or portable amp provides to go very loud at all. The Asus card should probably be running its opamps of the 12 volt line in you PC so they should go plenty loud and sound good doing it.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #3,225 of 29,490

The 600s don't need much power to sound good, however they do need more voltage than the average DAP or portable amp provides to go very loud at all. The Asus card should probably be running its opamps of the 12 volt line in you PC so they should go plenty loud and sound good doing it.

I didn't even consider this as far as power goes. Not enough experience with PC soundcards I guess. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back