++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 7, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #2,896 of 29,490
^ I'd be pretty careful recommending DT770 to people who don't use amplifiers.  The low-ohm version sounds absolutely atrocious without an amp (ill-defined & overpowering bass, missing mids, shrill treble) and merely bad with a high-current amp, and the higher ohm version need a higher voltage amp.  Low ohms does not mean amp not needed- it means more current is required relative to volts (I=V/R).

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #2,897 of 29,490
I should probably start avoiding it until someone is also talking about an amp to go with it. I wish I had more experience with the SUperlux cans so I could confidently recommend them more often.
Quote:
^ I'd be pretty careful recommending DT770 to people who don't use amplifiers.  The low-ohm version sounds absolutely atrocious without an amp (ill-defined & overpowering bass, missing mids, shrill treble) and merely bad with a high-current amp, and the higher ohm version need a higher voltage amp.  Low ohms does not mean amp not needed- it means more current is required relative to volts (I=V/R).

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #2,898 of 29,490
Hi Guys

This has seriously done my head in, i have been reading so much here and the more i read the more i am clules on what headphones to get, here is what i am after.

Music: Alternative, Punk Rock 90s, Hip-hop, Indy R&B  ( it really depends on what mood i am in )
Open/Closed: Either not bothered
Portable: Yes, but i am also looking to get amp so when i am at home that i can use them.
Requirements: I just need nice set of cans that has nice base and nice sounds and that i can listen to all sort of music with decent quality i guess.
Budget: no more then 700 i gues not really set price yet

the ones i have right now and have had for very very long time are Beyerdynamic DT531 and i was happy with them.

Thanks

Any suggestions guys please help a noob out.

Fischer Audio's FA-004 i was thinking getting those for everyday use train rides to work and jut poratbability and i am looking to get a good set of cans for home with amp as well pelae recommand.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #2,899 of 29,490
Bought the K701's and they just aren't doing it for me. I tried them with a Woo 6 and still just not what I'm looking for. I listen to a lot of bass heavy stuff (think Jay Dee, Kanye) along with more rock, indie (think Radiohead, Animal Collective) and although I was prepared for the K701's analytical bass, I found that virtually everything sounded dampened except for the really high treble. Songs like Radiohead's Planet Telex just wasn't as piercing and involved as it was on my measly HD555's, neither were Avey Tare's vocals in Animal Collective's album Feels. Everything just sounded far away is how I would describe it. Nothing had any character. Nothing was loud, I had to turn them up particularly loud to get the same feel of immersion as I did on my HD555's. 

So, knowing this, where should I go from here. I loved my 555's but I'm sure there has to be something better and I want to find it. I'm trying to HD650's tomorrow, and I've heard good things about denon's in regards to my music taste. Any other suggestions? Keep amps out of this.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #2,900 of 29,490

Quote:
Bought the K701's and they just aren't doing it for me. I tried them with a Woo 6 and still just not what I'm looking for. I listen to a lot of bass heavy stuff (think Jay Dee, Kanye) along with more rock, indie (think Radiohead, Animal Collective) and although I was prepared for the K701's analytical bass, I found that virtually everything sounded dampened except for the really high treble. Songs like Radiohead's Planet Telex just wasn't as piercing and involved as it was on my measly HD555's, neither were Avey Tare's vocals in Animal Collective's album Feels. Everything just sounded far away is how I would describe it. Nothing had any character. Nothing was loud, I had to turn them up particularly loud to get the same feel of immersion as I did on my HD555's. 

So, knowing this, where should I go from here. I loved my 555's but I'm sure there has to be something better and I want to find it. I'm trying to HD650's tomorrow, and I've heard good things about denon's in regards to my music taste. Any other suggestions? Keep amps out of this.

Sounds like you need Grados.  They are immediate & exciting with all kinds of rock.  Most models lack in bass, but RS-1 & HF-1 have good bass impact.  Or you can try Bilavideo's mod on a SR60/80.  I think Denons are particularly ill-suited for Radiohead, due to their heavy emphasis of bass & treble which can drown out the mids in music with a lot of action across the frequency spectrum (like said band).

HD600 are very nice for everything, but they are a little soft sounding and you said to keep amps out of this..

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #2,901 of 29,490

Quote:
After getting a little tired of my setup, Rockbox'd 5G ipod > LOD > Mini 3, and I'm iching for some new headphones.

Music: Everything but Country
Open/Closed: Closed
Portable: Yes, mostly for bus rides.
DAC/Amp: Amped with Mini3
Requirements:  I'm looking for a pair of headphones that have clear highs and has clear, powerfully but not overpowering bass. If you want more detail look bellow
Budget: approx 100-150$

You can get a better opinion by reading my thoughts on these headphones

Audio-Technica M50: They have a great ammount of bass but their bass is boomy and unclear. I also hate the lack of oomph(I'm guessing soundstage) and the clarity in the highs & mids.

Modded Grado SR-60s: Great headphones, Great clarity and soundstage and I have modded them by replacing the grill for air to ventilate better and punched 4 holes on each side. This turned them into a great pair of headphones with good amount of bass but because of their open design they don't give me the bass impact my DBA-02s have.

Fischer Audio DBA-02: This is what I am looking for in my closed headphones. This with a bit more bass.

Audio-Technica ATH-A700: I would choose these as my closed headphones but they are a bit clunky and big yet I love the way they rest on my head. The sound was good but bass was a little lacking and it sounded like I was in an empty room listening to speakers all the way on the other side.

I have looked around and the Fischer Audio FA-011s are really appealing to me and are at great price of 118$ but I'm looking for closed headphones. I own a nice pair of IEMs, I own a great pair of open headphones, now I want a pair of great closed headphones.

I would suggest the Shure 840 or 750DJ. The former is a bit smoother overall, the latter a bit punchier. There's also the new 550DJ which is apparently somewhere a bit in between.

Quote:
Hi, I'm new to the the forum and the world of audiophiles(definitely not an audiophile, just a guy that really enjoys listening to good quality sound). I'm looking into getting into some over-the-ear headphones. I do a lot of traveling(planes) so am looking for some that will help with minimizing aircraft noise and be comfortable for extended listening times.. I listen to a very wide variety of music, rock, hip hop, rap, reggae, some classical, some folk, and i also relly enjoy live albums. I'll also be using them to watch movies and other videos. Like I said earlier, I'm not an audiophile but I've grown up playing music so I can tell the differenece between good and poor quality sound. I'm not looking to break the bank either(college), $50-$75 is my price range. Thanks in advance for any help, I'm open to all suggestions, advice, etc!

I forgot to mention that I'm using an iPad/iPhone/MacBook as my music and movie devices.
P.S. My roommate has a pair of Sennheiser HD203's, I think they are OKish, if that gives you any type of reference point to help me out.

Thanks!

If you can find them on sale, the Sony V6/7506 are comfy and isolate quite well. Same goes for the Senn HD280. Both are usually around $100 but shouldn't be too hard to find on sale.

On the cheaper side, the JVC HA-xxx comes to mind. Check out Joker's thread for cheap portables...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-74-portable-headphones-reviewed-audio-technica-ath-sq5-ath-fc700-03-29

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Guys

This has seriously done my head in, i have been reading so much here and the more i read the more i am clules on what headphones to get, here is what i am after.

Music: Alternative, Punk Rock 90s, Hip-hop, Indy R&B  ( it really depends on what mood i am in )
Portable: Yes, but i am also looking to get amp so when i am at home that i can use them.
Requirements: I just need nice set of cans that has nice base and nice sounds and that i can listen to all sort of music with decent quality i guess.

the ones i have right now and have had for very very long time are Beyerdynamic DT531 and i was happy with them.

Thanks

Fischer Audio's FA-004 i was thinking getting those for everyday use train rides to work and jut poratbability and i am looking to get a good set of cans for home with amp as well pelae recommand.

If you like the Beyers, you can always move up the line to the 770/880/990 models, or the T50p if you want to go portable. I wouldn't go much more expensive than that for a portable set unless you have a lot of disposable income.

Quote:

The K701 really wasn't the right purchase for your genres.

I would hold back on any suggestions until after you've had a chance to try out the Senn and Denons (though the D2000 +jmoney leather earpads was the first thing that came to mind)

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #2,902 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Guys

Thanks

With your budget I'd get one set for the train & one set for home
biggrin.gif
.  For the former, you'll need closed headphones (or better yet, iems), which don't start to rival open headphones for sound quality until they approach $1000.  The other side of the coin is that you can get open headphones (SR225, RS-1, HD600) for a very reasonable price for that will destroy any closed headphone in your budget.

How about a PX200 for the train, HD600 for the home, and steal your uncle's old stereo for a headphone amplifier. All can be had for half your budget.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #2,903 of 29,490
Armaegis

Do you think this Fischer Audio's FA-004 are good for portable for everyday listening to work and of laptop while i am at work and traveling.

also i am not 2 bothered really about if i a stick with beyern i just want something that is good quality and good sound quality hance the reason i am getting 2 sets one for home runnin on amps and others for portability.

if you dont mind can u just let me know ur openion.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #2,904 of 29,490

Hi, im after a new head set + sound card (if necessary). This will be for 60% gaming, 40% music.

Must be over ear design.

MUST have an attached mic. (no clip on mic please)

I don't mind if its open or closed back, but I want a good sound stage so open is preferred.

Must be fairly sturdy.

The music I usually listen to is rock, soft metal, prog rock ect.

(Kamelot, Alter Bridge, Pinkfloyd, Metalica, ect..)

Budget is $200AUS (for everything) but I can stretch it a bit, if its really worth it.

Priority list:

1. Soundstage

2. Sound Quality (see music tastes)

3. Mic quality

4. Comfort

5. Sturdiness

6. Sound isolation (not too concerned with this as I play in my room)

The only ones Ive looked at so far are:

The Sennheiser HD 555 (will mod them, but I still need a soundcard)

Razer megaloden ( have heard good things about there in house driver)

PC 350

Recommend Away!

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #2,905 of 29,490

Quote:
Armaegis

Do you think this Fischer Audio's FA-004 are good for portable for everyday listening to work and of laptop while i am at work and traveling.

also i am not 2 bothered really about if i a stick with beyern i just want something that is good quality and good sound quality hance the reason i am getting 2 sets one for home runnin on amps and others for portability.

if you dont mind can u just let me know ur openion.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Fischer Audio gear and haven't done much reading on them. I try to keep my recommendations to those I've heard before.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #2,906 of 29,490
With your budget I'd get one set for the train & one set for home
biggrin.gif
.  For the former, you'll need closed headphones (or better yet, iems), which don't start to rival open headphones for sound quality until they approach $1000.  The other side of the coin is that you can get open headphones (SR225, RS-1, HD600) for a very reasonable price for that will destroy any closed headphone in your budget.

How about a PX200 for the train, HD600 for the home, and steal your uncle's old stereo for a headphone amplifier. All can be had for half your budget.

Hi Mate

i just seen your reply, thanks for that i might have a look little more in to it. yeah i am not 2 fast about budget for my home headphones but for everyday use with out amp i would like something nice and not more then 100 i guess. ..

i will look at the px200

i was reading the review from LFF on Fischer Audio's FA-004 and he rates them highly i was wondering has anyone else had this cans.

thanks.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #2,907 of 29,490
I am new to audiophile and I need opinions on what I should think about and/or do.

Current Amp: [size=1em][size=1em]ASUS Xonar Essence STX[/size][/size]
Current Headphone: HD380 Pro

Looking at getting:
Grado SR325is ($300)
or
AKG K702 ($250)

I want a noticeable upgrade from the HD380 Pro's.
I listen to Acoustic, Live rock concerts, softer rock, and occasionally "rock." Bands like Pearl Jam, Wilco, Eddie Vedder's Into the Wild sound track, Kings of Leon, Counting Crows, and other 90's Alt rock bands. I prioritize vocals above everything else. 

I have heard Grado is king of rock and "in your face."
I have heard K702 is king of detail and sound stage.  

Detail and hearing the music the way the artist intended it to be heard appeals to me, so I assume this favors the K702. However, I bought my HD 380 Pro's over the Byer 770's because when comparing the two, I noticed I was involuntarily tapping my fingers along with the music when listening to the 380's. I have a feeling the Grado's will have this effect on me and thus, favor the Grado's. 
Is the $50 extra worth it? Being a noob and coming from the hd380's would I be happy with either? A kind of "ignorance is bliss" thing.  

Complicating this decision even further is that I have half a notion to buy the K702's now, and in the future spring for the Grado's Rs1's. But, I don't want to spend needless money, unless there is a big and noticeable difference justifying the expenditure. 

I can't demo these cans, so thats why I am seeking any direction the community can offer. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #2,908 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I'm new to the the forum and the world of audiophiles(definitely not an audiophile, just a guy that really enjoys listening to good quality sound). I'm looking into getting into some over-the-ear headphones. I do a lot of traveling(planes) so am looking for some that will help with minimizing aircraft noise and be comfortable for extended listening times.. I listen to a very wide variety of music, rock, hip hop, rap, reggae, some classical, some folk, and i also relly enjoy live albums. I'll also be using them to watch movies and other videos. Like I said earlier, I'm not an audiophile but I've grown up playing music so I can tell the differenece between good and poor quality sound. I'm not looking to break the bank either(college), $50-$75 is my price range. Thanks in advance for any help, I'm open to all suggestions, advice, etc!

I forgot to mention that I'm using an iPad/iPhone/MacBook as my music and movie devices.
P.S. My roommate has a pair of Sennheiser HD203's, I think they are OKish, if that gives you any type of reference point to help me out.

Thanks!

Maybe Sennheiser PX 200 II. They are just $10 above your budget and they are VERY portable, which is indeed very helpful if you travel a lot.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #2,909 of 29,490

Quote:
I am new to audiophile and I need opinions on what I should think about and/or do.

Current Amp: [size=1em][size=1em]ASUS Xonar Essence STX[/size][/size]

Current Headphone: HD380 Pro

Looking at getting:
Grado SR325is ($300)
or
AKG K702 ($250)

I want a noticeable upgrade from the HD380 Pro's.
I listen to Acoustic, Live rock concerts, softer rock, and occasionally "rock." Bands like Pearl Jam, Wilco, Eddie Vedder's Into the Wild sound track, Kings of Leon, Counting Crows, and other 90's Alt rock bands. I prioritize vocals above everything else. 

I have heard Grado is king of rock and "in your face."
I have heard K702 is king of detail and sound stage.  

Detail and hearing the music the way the artist intended it to be heard appeals to me, so I assume this favors the K702. However, I bought my HD 380 Pro's over the Byer 770's because when comparing the two, I noticed I was involuntarily tapping my fingers along with the music when listening to the 380's. I have a feeling the Grado's will have this effect on me and thus, favor the Grado's. 
Is the $50 extra worth it? Being a noob and coming from the hd380's would I be happy with either? A kind of "ignorance is bliss" thing.  

Complicating this decision even further is that I have half a notion to buy the K702's now, and in the future spring for the Grado's Rs1's. But, I don't want to spend needless money, unless there is a big and noticeable difference justifying the expenditure. 

I can't demo these cans, so thats why I am seeking any direction the community can offer. 

Grado and 225 if you don't want to spend extra $50.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #2,910 of 29,490

Quote:

Grado and 225 if you don't want to spend extra $50.

+1 on the 225s, you won't be dissapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back