++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 6, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #2,866 of 29,490
Quote:
Loved the Koss Porta Pros and Sennheiser PX-100-II. I bought the ATH-M50, but I found the bass to be weak and lacking, even with EQ. 

I listen to 192~320kbps MP3s straight out of my laptop and iPod. Looking for a something around $100-125, full-sized, closed headphones. Any ideas?

If you want loads of bass on the cheap the Sony XB series may be for you.  The XB700 focuses more on deep rumbling bass while the XB500s focus more on punchy upper bass.  Most people who like the 500s over the 700s only do so with major high quality EQing which your ipod can't do at all so the 700s may be a better choice.  They like having more power behind them than either of your sources have though they are quite sensitive and will get plenty loud.  They'll just sound better loud with a strong amp.  They are a ported design and have good isolation and comfort though they do leak a bit of sound to the outside.

Despite these reservations, there isn't much else I know of that will have enough bass for you if you thought a EQed M50 was weak.

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2,867 of 29,490

I am new to this and have spent a ridiculous amount of hours trying to make sense of everything on hear in order to buy a set of new headphones but the more I read the more muddy things get. Hopefully I am posting this in the right spot.

Music: Alternative, Punk Rock 90s, Hip-hop, Indy (Much like Death Cab and The National)

Open/Closed: Closed

Portable: Yes, mostly will be used for travel and weight lifting

DAC/Amp: No amp, just used out of an iPod

Requirements: I would say I am not a bass-head but I do like a nice bass presence, I always tend to ruin the cords of headphones so detachable has been a high priority so far in my search, fairly light weight for possible quicker movement than just walking, I do prefer the on ear pads for their portability rather than the circumaural.

Budget: approx $200

So far I have narrowed down my options to

1. Phiaton MS300 (preferably over the MS 400 due to the one sided cord and being smaller [I am worried about the durability of the cord on either of these as a side note])
  2. AKG Q460
  3. B&W P5
  4. Bose On Ear

Any help on the SQ, durability, or any other help would be much appreciated! and do not be afraid to talk down to me, I know I am beginner at this and need to learn more. Thank you!

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2,868 of 29,490

I am new to this and have spent a ridiculous amount of hours trying to make sense of everything on hear in order to buy a set of new headphones but the more I read the more muddy things get. Hopefully I am posting this in the right spot.

Music: Alternative, Punk Rock 90s, Hip-hop, Indy (Much like Death Cab and The National)

Requirements: I would say I am not a bass-head but I do like a nice bass presence, I always tend to ruin the cords of headphones so detachable has been a high priority so far in my search, fairly light weight for possible quicker movement than just walking, I do prefer the on ear pads for their portability rather than the circumaural.

1. Phiaton MS300 (preferably over the MS 400 due to the one sided cord and being smaller [I am worried about the durability of the cord on either of these as a side note])
  2. AKG Q460
  3. B&W P5
  4. Bose On Ear

Any help on the SQ, durability, or any other help would be much appreciated! and do not be afraid to talk down to me, I know I am beginner at this and need to learn more. Thank you!

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2,869 of 29,490
Quote:
Loved the Koss Porta Pros and Sennheiser PX-100-II. I bought the ATH-M50, but I found the bass to be weak and lacking, even with EQ. 

I listen to 192~320kbps MP3s straight out of my laptop and iPod. Looking for a something around $100-125, full-sized, closed headphones. Any ideas?

If you want loads of bass on the cheap the Sony XB series may be for you.  The XB700 focuses more on deep rumbling bass while the XB500s focus more on punchy upper bass.  Most people who like the 500s over the 700s only do so with major high quality EQing which your ipod can't do at all so the 700s may be a better choice.  They like having more power behind them than either of your sources have though they are quite sensitive and will get plenty loud.  They'll just sound better loud with a strong amp.  They are a ported design and have good isolation and comfort though they do leak a bit of sound to the outside.

Despite these reservations, there isn't much else I know of that will have enough bass for you if you thought a EQed M50 was weak.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #2,870 of 29,490

I'm not sure if it was just my pair, but songs that sounded smooth and bassy on my PX-100 would sound weak with the M50. Some songs would sound unnatural.

I'll keep burning them in but I don't see a revelation coming in the near future.
Quote:

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #2,871 of 29,490
Double post.  Somehow it went through 15 minutes earlier while telling me it failed. Hmm...

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2,872 of 29,490
Hey everyone! I've been looking for a new pair of headphones since my old ones broke. I'd appreciate any recommendations in the 40-60 dollar range. My budget is pretty tight so I probably won't go over it unless it's a really good deal.

Anyway, I'll be using it mostly from my laptop, occasionally my phone, and my guitar amp, so I'd prefer it to come with a 3.5 mm connector and 1/4' adapter. I mostly like to listen to rock and metal, but I also listen to blues and some acoustic stuff. I'll also be using them for gaming.

Some features I'd like are low noise leaking, so I can listen without waking my roommate/disturbing others around me. I'd prefer if the ear cups folded up so that I could toss them in my backpack or whatever. On that note, durability is important to me, I don't want them crapping out on me like my old ones did. Otherwise, reasonably comfortable, and great sound.

Here are some of the ones I'm deciding between. I really don't know how to decide between them, so many options.

Beyer DT 235 - $54.90
JVC HA-M750 - $49.99
AudioTechnica ATH-M30 - $42.76
AudioTechnica ATH-M35 - $53.99

All recommendations and advice is highly appreciated! Sorry for the length.

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #2,873 of 29,490

Quote:
Double post.  Somehow it went through 15 minutes earlier while telling me it failed. Hmm...

I had that error earlier too and wound up triple posting. Must have been a board glitch.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #2,874 of 29,490

Quote:
I am about to order the ATH-ESW9a for portable us, am I making a mistake? They seem not durable enough

They are well built and can probably take a reasonable amount of wear, but won't stand up to abuse like the larger studio headphones.

Quote:
I'm looking for some cheapish headphones for my girlfriend, this is what she wants:

Over ear
Good sound cancelling (not sure if that's what it's called, she doesn't want everyone around her to hear her music)
Something with a good amount of bass
We'd prefer to keep the price under $50 CAD

She listens mainly to rock, stuff like Kings of Leon, Alexisonfire, Slipknot, etc.

Any suggestions?

Check out Joker's massive portable review thread (link in the first post of this thread) for some ideas.

Quote:

I listen to 192~320kbps MP3s straight out of my laptop and iPod. Looking for a something around $100-125, full-sized, closed headphones. Any ideas?SUBMIT

It'd odd that you like the porta pros and px100-ii yet find the M50 bass lacking. I would suspect that it's more the midbass that you're missing, which is typically the portion of the spectrum that gives that "warmth" feeling. See if you can find a Shure 840 or M-Audio Q40 which have a more full bodied bass than the M50. The Sony XB series might be up your alley as well.

Quote:

2. AKG Q460
  3. B&W P5
  4. Bose On Ear

For sheer durability, it's hard to beat the Sennheiser HD25-1-ii. Secure fit, and all the parts are interchangeable. Those other ones you've mentioned are not something I would wear into a weight room.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #2,875 of 29,490

Quote:
They are well built and can probably take a reasonable amount of wear, but won't stand up to abuse like the larger studio headphones.

Check out Joker's massive portable review thread (link in the first post of this thread) for some ideas.

It'd odd that you like the porta pros and px100-ii yet find the M50 bass lacking. I would suspect that it's more the midbass that you're missing, which is typically the portion of the spectrum that gives that "warmth" feeling. See if you can find a Shure 840 or M-Audio Q40 which have a more full bodied bass than the M50. The Sony XB series might be up your alley as well.

For sheer durability, it's hard to beat the Sennheiser HD25-1-ii. Secure fit, and all the parts are interchangeable. Those other ones you've mentioned are not something I would wear into a weight room.

TMA-1 are super durable as well.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #2,876 of 29,490
I am looking for some new headphones.
they will be used for music and movies mostly.
I listen to metal and rap with some rock.
need to be closed.
would like them to be comfortable.
would like them to be pretty easily amped but I could possibly buy an amp. 
Do not need to be portable. 
budget is around 300 possibly a bit higher depending if I really want something. 

was looking at the ultrasone 780

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #2,877 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking for some new headphones.
they will be used for music and movies mostly.
I listen to metal and rap with some rock.
need to be closed.
would like them to be comfortable.
would like them to be pretty easily amped but I could possibly buy an amp. 
Do not need to be portable. 
budget is around 300 possibly a bit higher depending if I really want something. 

was looking at the ultrasone 780

Beyer DT 770 or Ultrasone Pro 740 are my recommendations. EDIT: Pro 750

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #2,878 of 29,490

Quote:

Closed cans
Strictly for gaming
Looks/Size doesn't matter but dont want something that would rest on my ear.
$250. Budget can be increased if need to be.
Comfortable for long hours of gaming.

Thank you

DT770pro are supposed to be good closed cans for gaming. My friend has a pair he let me borrow for a few weeks. It is a nice, reasonably priced can. It clamps rather well, so sound leaking is not a huge issue. I have never gamed with them, but I hear they work well, but depending on what type of gaming you do they may have too much bass. Check out this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #2,879 of 29,490
Hi, I've had a pair of Bose Triport AE for a few years now and was pretty happy with them. They recently died and I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD238. I don't really like them as they let too much noise in and out. Also seem to be lacking in bass. Overall I just prefer the sound of the Bose headphones. I'm tempted to buy another pair but have been reading reviews that say there are better headphones around for that price. Can anyone recommend some?
Basically I just want a pair of fairly light, not-to-big, closed, headphones with decent sound. I mainly listen to music like Nick Cave and occasionally watch DVDs.
Thanks!

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #2,880 of 29,490

Quote:

I have a pair and I would never use them outside, they feel quite fragile and the wood is prone to scratching and cracking. Not to mention they don't isolate much noise. Try the Phiaton MS400s or Sennheiser HD25-1 II. If you can make do with larger earcups then look into the common recommendations on this thread - M50s, HFI-780s, et cetera.

Quote:
Everyone will hear what she's listening to with those.

My apologies, I didn't read the post well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back