++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 2, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #2,701 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply! Here is my question though: Since I have the means to get arguably "better" cans already, doesn't it make more sense to just skip over the 700 now and go straight for the 900/1000? I remember reading that the AD-900 has more clarity than the AD-700 , and both seem to have bass but not enough for genres like dubstep. I think the local pricing here is roughly $205-210 USD for the AD-900 and $295-300 for the AD-1000. 

Quote:
Interesting question - was faced with same dilemma last week.  Haven't tried the AD-1000.  Did try both AD-700 and AD-900 last week.  Spent about 1/2 an hour with my own source (Ipod Touch G4 + LOD + Fiio E7) at J&R deciding between the two of them.  In the end I bought the 700's.  Main reasons:
 - price / value (I just couldn't justify the diff in price between the two)
 - SQ -> difference to me was mainly in the bass, and with my set-up, I can either use the Fiio's bass boost or EQ using the Touch EQ apps, to achieve same/similar as AD-900 (to my ears).

To be honest, after listening to the AD-700 for most of the past week, I'm getting more and  more impressed with them.  They don't have the bass punch of my SRH 840's, but the bass is there, and it can be extended using the Fiio / EQ.

An option may be to look at getting the E7 + the AD-700 (combo would be similar to the AD-900 price).  Then you get the benefit of a reasonable quality DAC/amp if you want to upscale your cans at any stage.  You definitely don't need an amp for the AD-700's - but I'm enjoying the combo at the moment.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #2,702 of 29,490
Can anyone recommend a good upgrade from the AKG K518's? 

I will mostly use them for traveling, and would be powered only by an iPod Touch 4G since I'm not quite interested in amps yet. 

I usually listen to house, techno, trance, electronic, and some rock. And I appreciate the prominence of the bass more than the mids and highs, but I want them to be clear and crisp at the same time, like the K518's. 

My price range is $100-$150. 

Thanks! :) 

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #2,703 of 29,490
Grados are a BAD idea for you. Stay away from them.

I'd suggest the M50 (as a lot of people around here would), maybe with replacement ear pads for extra comfort.

Forget the Senns and ATH cans, too. They're open and will leak sound and have weaker bass than a closed headphone. If I'm not mistaken, so is the FA-011 (not much experience on my end here).

The XB 700 wouldn't be a bad idea from what I've heard, although I'm not sure how well it plays with rock.

Still suggesting the ATH M50, or if you can break the bank by about $20 USD, try the Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs.

EDIT: The 25s have a very person to person comfort level as they are on ear headphones, so be careful. If they work for you, they're amazing.

Quote:
After about six hours of research that I did last night and tonight, I really would like some personal help finding a good pair of headphones.
I listen to dubstep, rap/hip hop, post-hardcore, rock, and instrumental music. 
I really want a rich, crisp sounding headphone with good soundstage and a good amount of bass. I don't want the bass to overpower the music, but yet good enough for me to bump to the music.
It can be open or closed, it doesn't really bother me.
Good comfort is a must.  I want to be able to wear the headphones for long periods of time without having my ears hurt.

My price range is $100-$170. 

While researching for which headphones I should buy, I came across Fischer Audio FA-011, Sennhesier HD-595( although I have also read that I should get the Sennhesier HD-555 instead because it's basically the same thing if I do the foam mod), Sony MDR-XB700, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, and anything from Grado( I've heard great things from them, besides comfort).

I'm also up for other recommendations!!

Thanks

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #2,704 of 29,490

[size=medium]
......I'm new to this area.  Really wanted some headphones for movies, so I started reading.
Have been reading for several days and mentioned headphones include:
1. Denon AH D2000, D5000, D7000
2. Ultrasone (good for surround sound?)
3. Sennheiser HD650
4. Beyerdynamics DT770, 880, 990, T1 ?

Looking for "wired" headphones with:
1. deep, subsonic, reverberating bass for action movies like eg.Transformers2 
basshead.gif

2. wide enough soundstage that makes it seem like listening to "surround speakers"
3. can be used with computer and tablet (ipad or samsung galaxy 10.1)  ...will be buying amp

Please give some suggestions for each price range:
1. $165-329 price range

2. $330-669 price range

3. $670-999 price range

4. $1000-1700 price range

If a sub-$1000 headphone is better than a $1000+ headphone please do tell.  
basshead.gif

[/size]

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #2,705 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Here is my question though: Since I have the means to get arguably "better" cans already, doesn't it make more sense to just skip over the 700 now and go straight for the 900/1000? I remember reading that the AD-900 has more clarity than the AD-700 , and both seem to have bass but not enough for genres like dubstep. I think the local pricing here is roughly $205-210 USD for the AD-900 and $295-300 for the AD-1000. 

*shrug* it's your money. It's either shoot for middle ground first or start low and save the rest for the bigger jump later.

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good upgrade from the AKG K518's? 

I will mostly use them for traveling, and would be powered only by an iPod Touch 4G since I'm not quite interested in amps yet. 

I usually listen to house, techno, trance, electronic, and some rock. And I appreciate the prominence of the bass more than the mids and highs, but I want them to be clear and crisp at the same time, like the K518's. 

My price range is $100-$150. 

Thanks! :) 

There's the AKG K450 or Q460, and the larger K181 which is the "big brother" to the K518 (aka the K81) which sounds pretty much the same but "better". For your genres I also like the M-Audio Q40 which has a fantastic bass to it.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2,706 of 29,490

Quote:

[size=medium]
......I'm new to this area.  Really wanted some headphones for movies, so I started reading.
3. Sennheiser HD650

basshead.gif

2. wide enough soundstage that makes it seem like listening to "surround speakers"
3. can be used with computer and tablet (ipad or samsung galaxy 10.1)  ...will be buying amp

1. $165-329 price range

2. $330-669 price range

3. $670-999 price range

basshead.gif

[/size]

Very deep bass is usually found in a closed headphones. Wide soundstage is usually found in open headphones. These are huge generalizations, but it's something to keep in mind until you start pushing through the big price barriers.

I'll leave the research up to you, but I'll toss out some suggestions:

1) Ultrasone Pro 650
Phiaton MS400
used or pro Beyer DT770 + any budget amp
Sony XB700
Shure SRH750DJ

2) new Beyer DT770 + any amp
the upcoming Sony XB1000
Ultrasone Pro 900
Denon D2000 + jmoney leather earpads

3) Denon D5000 + jmoney leather earpads
any of the above with a bigger amp attached

4) HE-6 + EF5
LCD-2 + Schiit Lyr

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2,707 of 29,490

Quote:

[size=medium]
3. Sennheiser HD650

basshead.gif

1. $165-329 price range

2. $330-669 price range

3. $670-999 price range

basshead.gif

[/size]

Very deep bass is usually found in a closed headphones. Wide soundstage is usually found in open headphones. These are huge generalizations, but it's something to keep in mind until you start pushing through the big price barriers.

I'll leave the research up to you, but I'll toss out some suggestions:

1) Ultrasone Pro 650
Phiaton MS400
used or pro Beyer DT770 + any budget amp
Sony XB700
Shure SRH750DJ

2) new Beyer DT770 + any amp
the upcoming Sony XB1000
Ultrasone Pro 900
Denon D2000 + jmoney leather earpads

3) Denon D5000 + jmoney leather earpads
any of the above with a bigger amp attached

4) HE-6 + EF5
LCD-2 + Schiit Lyr

Apr 2, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #2,708 of 29,490

Quote:
I think you made the right decision.  If vocals are your main interest, you could to much better than a Denon.  Voice & guitar are not nearly as present as they should be and they are easily buried by the overwhelming bass and treble.

If that's the case, I guess the search continues. What would you recommend in a similar price range?

Apr 2, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #2,709 of 29,490

[size=medium]
To save myself some typing. . .I'll just quote myself from another thread (didn't see this thread first) which never got any responses:
[size=medium]

Quote:
Hello all,

I have had the DT990 (600 ohm) headphones for about a year now, and although I am happy (content) with them at the moment, I am always curious to see what (if) there is something out there I might like better.  I am not looking to break the bank however, as headphones are below other aspects of my list of hobbies, which makes me not want to spend tons of money (sorry if that offends any of you to not have headphones at the top 
tongue.gif
, ha).

So here is the position I am in. . .although I like the DT990's, the highs can seem slightly shrill at times along with sounding a little less than "real life" for sounds like cymbals in rock music for example.  I spent the entire afternoon and night last night at my friend's house who has the HD600's and, all though I like certain aspects of the cans, like the cymbals for example, there seems to be someone holding a blanket up standing between me and the drum kit.  The entire frequency spectrum is not "veiled" but just that little spectrum, the same one that the DT990's seem to make "sparkly".  I really like the bass of the DT990's, I don't find them over powering at all, but just about right.  There could be slightly less (slightly should be emphasized here as I don't want to lose all bass), but if the bass is knocked back a touch, I want the mids and highs to be even with them, so nothing jumps out and seems emphasized.  I like the sound stage of the DT990's, and find it to be just about right for my tastes, but would not mind just a slight bit more.  I do know, however, that I do not want to move "closer" with the sound stage. . .only same or slightly larger.  I feel like I lost just a tiny bit of this with the HD600's, but not much. . .still was enough for me to notice.

I have auditioned the K701's before, and found them WAY too airy for me.  The sound stage was nice on them for a few things, such as classical/orchestral music, but was a complete loss for anything else music wise and I did not like sitting in the middle of a football stadium/dome.  I have read where the K601's have a smaller sound stage than their bigger brother, and also have a slightly rolled off high end.  I suppose what I am looking for is a nice flat response, natural, life-like sound with clarity.  I want to get away from the sometimes artificial sounds the DT990's seem to produce on the upper ends.

1. So my ultimate question is, could the K601's be what I am looking for in a headphone?  How does the bass of the K601's stand up to the HD600's and DT990's (yes I have read through many, many forums. . .but never know if someone will poke their head in that has had all three cans, hehe).  

1. And last but no least, how well will the Fiio E9 drive the K601's (I've read they like SS amps. . .probably slight bit more power though, but I really don't know all too much about amps).

*Edit*  Oh, and I am obviously wanting to stay in the open can market. 
wink.gif

Here is a link directly to the thread if you would prefer to continue there instead:​
[/size]

[/size]

[size=medium][/size]

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #2,710 of 29,490

Quote:
If that's the case, I guess the search continues. What would you recommend in a similar price range?

I thought you were going with the ESW9, which seems like a good decision.  Or the DT880-600.  Other headphones that people like for vocals are k240 (or just get the sextetts).  So basically everything that Armaegis said.  I also like HD600, RS-1 & HF-1 for rock, pop & vocals and love and only use SE530 iems for portable use.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #2,713 of 29,490

Quote:
I thought you were going with the ESW9, which seems like a good decision.  Or the DT880-600.  Other headphones that people like for vocals are k240 (or just get the sextetts).  So basically everything that Armaegis said.  I also like HD600, RS-1 & HF-1 for rock, pop & vocals and love and only use SE530 iems for portable use.

Yeah, I've already bought the ESW9s, but I want to get a new set for home too.
The Sextetts are probably out of my price range (I'm assuming), but I'll definitely look into AKG in general, and the others you suggested. Thanks!

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #2,714 of 29,490

Quote:

Is there anyway you can get to a store and demo some cans for yourself?  It does make a real difference - and then at least you can make the final informed decision.  From reviews I originally read, a lot of people said the AD-700 bass was weak.  I find it OK.  With EQ/boost, it is great.

IMO the AD-900 weren't worth it over the AD-700.  But that is just my opinion.  If you looking for clarity - plus some nice bass - try maybe some closed sets.  I have the SRH840's as well, and I am loving them for all-rounders.  The bass is more than the AD-700's, but they don't have the same sound stage (not as wide/deep).  I got mine for $129 in the US - a steal for the quality!  I also demo'd the Denon 2K's.  I'd imagine for Dub, they would be well worth considering.  Very clear, great bass.

I still think it might be worth going entry point amp/dac + AD700 though - then you can branch out from there.  There is no point spending a lot at first if you don't need to - then you can decide the sound signature you like.

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #2,715 of 29,490
Hey all, I'm looking for some system recommendations that fit my tastes.
My budget is max $1,000.

I already have a dac (Nuforce uDac2) but if you guys think I should upgrade that if I'm headed into this price range let me know!

I listen to mainly alternative and classic rock with plenty of pop, rap, and house mixed in.
I favor soundstage and punchy atriculate bass most but also looking for a largly neutral if not warm mid range and highs.

I used to have a denon d5000 / matrix m-stage combo for a while and really liked it but with the d5000s going for $700 on amazon now when i bought them for $400 new on amazon months ago I can't justify the purchase.

If you guys can think of any headphone/amp combos that you think I would like please let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back