++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 1, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #2,686 of 29,490

Quote:
Thank you very much, kind sir. I decided to order the ESW9s and I think I'll wait until I get those before making a decision on any others, although the Denons keep looking better and better.

I think you made the right decision.  If vocals are your main interest, you could to much better than a Denon.  Voice & guitar are not nearly as present as they should be and they are easily buried by the overwhelming bass and treble.

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #2,688 of 29,490
Hi all! I'm toying with the idea of switching from iem to open cans.

So far my favorite earphones have been the SE535, Westone 4 and the ER4P. I think the Se535 is the sound signature I like the most, though something between the W4, w/ controlled bass and extended treble, and SE535, with its lush mids, would be perfect.

I probably listen to 60% classical/20% 50-60's jazz/10% acoustic and folk/10%Radiohead, etc..

I listen to mostly lossless from my ipod classic. I spend most of my listening time at work and would probably leave my amp there; I just don't have time to listen at home. I would prefer a portable amp so that I could use it for my ER4P/S when I'm writing at a coffee shop, but that probably is not going to be the best bang for buck. So I've decided on a desktop amp. (I'll prob just buy a cheap portable amp for the ER4S.) I don't need a DAC yet, but will probably get one when my ipod eventually dies.

I'm looking at around $450 for desktop amp and headphones. It'll be tight but I hope I can get it done.

From reading up, good options seem to be DT880 (660) and HD600. I'm open to others and almost completely unaware as to what would be a good amp.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Used K 701 (or a good deal on a sale) coupled with a HiFiman EF2A USB Headphone Amplifier from Head-Direct. That way you've yourself some beautiful K 701 cans that are perfect for what you listen to, a lush tube amp to bring it alive (replacing the stock tubes only makes it better), and of course a DAC included that isn't the best in the world but pretty darn good.

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #2,689 of 29,490
Break the bank a little and hit up some ATH M50s. Can easily be had for $120 USD. They're great for those genres, and are easily driven.
More comfort can be tacked on to them later with new earpads, although they're aren't too bad stock, IMO.

If you MUST stay within that $100 spot, maybe some Sennheiser HD 280s. I've done a few House mixes with them and they're a solid choice for the price.
Quote:
I am looking to buy some full sized headphones. Here are my requirements:
-Under $100.
-Very comfortable
-The will be used for music, mostly trance and electronic

Any suggestions?

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #2,690 of 29,490
So after about a week of research on this forum and advice from many members, I decided to buy a  pair of ath-m50's (which is my first ever "nice" pair of headphones)
I found a pair for $150 canadian and was wondering if that was a decent price for the M50's. Also i have to different sites to buy from, eBay, and B&H photo. Both have the same price but i'm not sure which site i should buy off, so i was wondering has anyone had any prior experience with B&H or should i just go with the eBay listing (seller has 100% feedback and 1000+ sales)

Lastly, my friend needs a cheap pair sony earbuds. He told me to check which one is better, the MDREX57LPB, or the MDREX36V. Never heard of either so i decided to ask head-fi, any help with this would be awesome.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #2,691 of 29,490

Quote:
So after about a week of research on this forum and advice from many members, I decided to buy a  pair of ath-m50's (which is my first ever "nice" pair of headphones)
I found a pair for $150 canadian and was wondering if that was a decent price for the M50's. Also i have to different sites to buy from, eBay, and B&H photo. Both have the same price but i'm not sure which site i should buy off, so i was wondering has anyone had any prior experience with B&H or should i just go with the eBay listing (seller has 100% feedback and 1000+ sales)

Lastly, my friend needs a cheap pair sony earbuds. He told me to check which one is better, the MDREX57LPB, or the MDREX36V. Never heard of either so i decided to ask head-fi, any help with this would be awesome.

B&H is a good company, but if they are shipped to Canada, you will pay steep shipping and customs fees.  

SRH840 appear often in the fs forum (now, for example) for $100-110.  
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #2,692 of 29,490

If that's the case then Beyers it is. I narrowed it down to either the 770Pro/80 or the 990Pro/250. 
Will get the E7+E9 combo next month to give my wallet some rest. They're also cheaper when I get em together.

Quote:
It doesn't necessarily need to be a 'proper' amp. I'd honestly suggest a uDac, or a FiiO E7. The uDac is pretty well liked around these parts, and the E7 is a great gateway amp as you can buy an E9 down the line and have a decent DAC/Amp combo.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #2,693 of 29,490
It's an excellent combo, I love mine. They'll last you a long time.

What kind of music are you looking to play, and in what environment? I'm sure you talked about this in the original post, but refresh me.

The E7 + E9 combo should power either of those no problem.
Quote:
If that's the case then Beyers it is. I narrowed it down to either the 770Pro/80 or the 990Pro/250. 
Will get the E7+E9 combo next month to give my wallet some rest. They're also cheaper when I get em together.

Apr 1, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #2,695 of 29,490

I listen to a wide range of music, mainly to house, rock and soul. I'll probably use it in my bedroom the most, cause that's where my computer is.
Quote:
It's an excellent combo, I love mine. They'll last you a long time.

What kind of music are you looking to play, and in what environment? I'm sure you talked about this in the original post, but refresh me.

The E7 + E9 combo should power either of those no problem.

Apr 1, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #2,697 of 29,490
I think the 990s would be a great way to go them. It won't be the best for House, but not too shabby compared to some open cans. They'll really shine with Rock & Soul.

Quote:
I listen to a wide range of music, mainly to house, rock and soul. I'll probably use it in my bedroom the most, cause that's where my computer is.

Apr 2, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #2,699 of 29,490

Quote:

$150 is a good price in Canada (assuming that's after taxes and any relevant shipping charges). If you're paying that and it still has to cross the border, check how they are shipping it so you don't get nailed with exorbitant brokerage fees.

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #2,700 of 29,490
After about six hours of research that I did last night and tonight, I really would like some personal help finding a good pair of headphones.
I listen to dubstep, rap/hip hop, post-hardcore, rock, and instrumental music. 
I really want a rich, crisp sounding headphone with good soundstage and a good amount of bass. I don't want the bass to overpower the music, but yet good enough for me to bump to the music.
It can be open or closed, it doesn't really bother me.
Good comfort is a must.  I want to be able to wear the headphones for long periods of time without having my ears hurt.

My price range is $100-$170. 

While researching for which headphones I should buy, I came across Fischer Audio FA-011, Sennhesier HD-595( although I have also read that I should get the Sennhesier HD-555 instead because it's basically the same thing if I do the foam mod), Sony MDR-XB700, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, and anything from Grado( I've heard great things from them, besides comfort).

I'm also up for other recommendations!!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back