++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 1, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #2,672 of 29,490
The 448 was not very airy to my recollection. Sorta neutral, with a weaker bass.

The 408 are larger supraaural, the 228/238 are about the same size as your ear.

I've never heard the RX700, so can't comment on it.

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #2,673 of 29,490

Quote:
The Beyer cans are good choices, but the problem will be driving them. You can't get a set of 250 Ohm cans without an amp. Even the 80 Ohm version might be a hard drive depending on your source.

EDIT: A lot of those options are open (which you probably realize), but just making sure you don't have to worry about sound leakage.

Sound leakage won't be a problem. I think the ones I had were open actually. I just use them at night most of the time, cause I sometimes get complaints from the person in the room next to me about the noise. 

What would be an affordable amp if I did go for the Beyers?
I also have no idea which would be better, the 80 Ohm or the 250 Ohm.

Quote:

Well you *can* drive them, but you may not be able to drive them very loud. If you have a home receiver, you can plug straight into that and you will be just fine.

For the prices you gave, the Beyers are probably your best value. The AD700 and HD585 should be at least half that.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read your reply right away.

I don't have a home receiver. Everything runs from my computer at the moment and that's currently just from the onboard soundcard.
The AD700 are a bit hard to get where I live and that's about the lowest price I could find them for over here.

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #2,675 of 29,490

Quote:
Sound leakage won't be a problem. I think the ones I had were open actually. I just use them at night most of the time, cause I sometimes get complaints from the person in the room next to me about the noise. 

I guess I'll go for either the HD595 or AD700 instead, cause I won't be getting an amp anytime soon.

What would be an affordable amp if in time perhaps I did get the Beyers?
I also have no idea which would be better, the 80 Ohm or the 250 Ohm.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Also, if you were to get the 595, get the 555 instead and mod it (take out the piece of foam - look on youtube).  Cheaper that way.

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #2,676 of 29,490

Quote:

Well you *can* drive them, but you may not be able to drive them very loud. If you have a home receiver, you can plug straight into that and you will be just fine.

For the prices you gave, the Beyers are probably your best value. The AD700 and HD585 should be at least half that.

Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Also, if you were to get the 595, get the 555 instead and mod it (take out the piece of foam - look on youtube).  Cheaper that way.

I did read that thread before I posted here. It's why I wanted the Beyers actually. Didn't realize a proper amp would be required

Thanks, I'll look into the 555. Saving money would actually be nice =)

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #2,678 of 29,490
Yes, I'm going to be that newbie. I haven't really looked over the thread that much but since there are 179 pages to it and my inquiry is rather specific, I figure I'll just ask and give you guys the burden of spewing repetitive (if issues in my post have been previously addressed elsewhere) answers. I figure, why not put my question out there and see if I get a response then going back through the thread and see if my answer had already been posted while I'm waiting for one of you fine people to answer my question.

SO, as the thread title would suggest, I'm looking to buy headphones. I'm looking for closed headphones primarily for mixing in/around the $100 range. I'm just a student and these would be my first schfancy headphones so I want to make my money count for something.

I think I have narrowed it down to these three models:

Sony MDR7506                  http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sony-MDR7506-Headphones?sku=271056
Sennheiser HD280 Pro        http://goodcans.com/HeadphoneStore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=13
Equation Audio RP-21         http://goodcans.com/HeadphoneStore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=151

My question for you guys is whether you've used these headphones and what you think of them. The HD280Pros are my safety at the moment and I'm sort of leaning towards the RP-21s but I haven't really heard a comparison of the two. The Sony is up there just because I want to hear what you guys think of it in relation to the HD280s.

Thanks for your time and consideration, folks!

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #2,679 of 29,490
It doesn't necessarily need to be a 'proper' amp. I'd honestly suggest a uDac, or a FiiO E7. The uDac is pretty well liked around these parts, and the E7 is a great gateway amp as you can buy an E9 down the line and have a decent DAC/Amp combo.

Quote:

I did read that thread before I posted here. It's why I wanted the Beyers actually. Didn't realize a proper amp would be required

Thanks, I'll look into the 555. Saving money would actually be nice =)

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #2,680 of 29,490
No no. That's what this thread is for. Post a question without a ton of research here, go off and research, check back and see what people say. At least that's what I'd say this thread is for.

Anyway, having never use the 21 I can't comment on it. BUT, I will say that I consider the 280 and the 7506 on about the same level. There's wasn't a big difference in sound to me (that I can remember) between the 2. I'd go with the 280. They sound pretty good, I've seen some cool pad replacements on them (if you want to do that), and they isolation on them is astounding if you take them on the go anywhere. I will say that at first, the 280 is a head crusher, but they respond well to stretching. Stretch 'em out a little and they really comfy.

Hope I helped. Cheers.

Quote:
Yes, I'm going to be that newbie. I haven't really looked over the thread that much but since there are 179 pages to it and my inquiry is rather specific, I figure I'll just ask and give you guys the burden of spewing repetitive (if issues in my post have been previously addressed elsewhere) answers. I figure, why not put my question out there and see if I get a response then going back through the thread and see if my answer had already been posted while I'm waiting for one of you fine people to answer my question.

SO, as the thread title would suggest, I'm looking to buy headphones. I'm looking for closed headphones primarily for mixing in/around the $100 range. I'm just a student and these would be my first schfancy headphones so I want to make my money count for something.

I think I have narrowed it down to these three models:

Sony MDR7506                  http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sony-MDR7506-Headphones?sku=271056
Sennheiser HD280 Pro        http://goodcans.com/HeadphoneStore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=13
Equation Audio RP-21         http://goodcans.com/HeadphoneStore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=151

My question for you guys is whether you've used these headphones and what you think of them. The HD280Pros are my safety at the moment and I'm sort of leaning towards the RP-21s but I haven't really heard a comparison of the two. The Sony is up there just because I want to hear what you guys think of it in relation to the HD280s.

Thanks for your time and consideration, folks!

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #2,681 of 29,490
Hi all, figured I'd add my own quest for a new pair of cans to the fray...

I've already got a pair of DT250-80s and HD555s. For IEMs, I've got a pair of SE530s and UM3Xs and I really do like the UM3Xs - probably my favorite sound of all headphones I've used - they're balanced, forward, have bass and detailed high end; great instrument separate and in general an amazing sound for me.

Now...I also have a Darkvoice 336 tube amp, so I was thinking of using that with some cans...and that means I'd want a higher impedance can, right?

I had been thinking about a Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm pair.

My intended uses are music, occasional movies, and gaming. And here is where another question comes in: is it really at all wise to be using a tube amp while gaming?

What are some other options that have a good balanced sound, perhaps slightly favoring a warm sound, that would work with my tube amp?

I'd also be grabbing a USB DAC for my PC (no DAC needed for my stereo setup though) - what would be a good DAC to match that's not too much?

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #2,682 of 29,490

Quote:
No no. That's what this thread is for. Post a question without a ton of research here, go off and research, check back and see what people say. At least that's what I'd say this thread is for.

Anyway, having never use the 21 I can't comment on it. BUT, I will say that I consider the 280 and the 7506 on about the same level. There's wasn't a big difference in sound to me (that I can remember) between the 2. I'd go with the 280. They sound pretty good, I've seen some cool pad replacements on them (if you want to do that), and they isolation on them is astounding if you take them on the go anywhere. I will say that at first, the 280 is a head crusher, but they respond well to stretching. Stretch 'em out a little and they really comfy.

Hope I helped. Cheers.

I can deal with my head being squished for a little while. Stretching the 280s out isn't that much of a hastle for me. I'm dying to hear what people that've tried both the 280s and the 21s have to say about the 21s but from what I've read, Equation Audio is a less commonly known brand.

I think I may just go with the 280s and save the 21s for later experimentation. I need to have headphones for next Friday so I need to order them ASAP and it'd be kind of silly to order the 21s on a whim, you know?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Your input is much appreciated. :)

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #2,683 of 29,490

uDAC is a great place to start for a cheap, but quality DAC.

Also, it really shouldn't make a difference what you're using the amp for, although I don't have much experience with tube amps. Also, do you like your current Beyer sound? If so the 880 may be the way to go.
Quote:
Hi all, figured I'd add my own quest for a new pair of cans to the fray...

I've already got a pair of DT250-80s and HD555s. For IEMs, I've got a pair of SE530s and UM3Xs and I really do like the UM3Xs - probably my favorite sound of all headphones I've used - they're balanced, forward, have bass and detailed high end; great instrument separate and in general an amazing sound for me.

Now...I also have a Darkvoice 336 tube amp, so I was thinking of using that with some cans...and that means I'd want a higher impedance can, right?

I had been thinking about a Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm pair.

My intended uses are music, occasional movies, and gaming. And here is where another question comes in: is it really at all wise to be using a tube amp while gaming?

What are some other options that have a good balanced sound, perhaps slightly favoring a warm sound, that would work with my tube amp?

I'd also be grabbing a USB DAC for my PC (no DAC needed for my stereo setup though) - what would be a good DAC to match that's not too much?

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #2,684 of 29,490
I'd say it's hard to say I like the beyer sound based on closed cans, not? I mean - closed cans will sound far more limited. I understand the sound stage on the DT880s is supposed to be very large - my DT250s are not so much.

I'll look at uDAC as well - I have to admit I'm tempted to buy a already etched PCB and build my own DAC though :)

Also, it really shouldn't make a difference what you're using the amp for, although I don't have much experience with tube amps. Also, do you like your current Beyer sound? If so the 880 may be the way to go.

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #2,685 of 29,490
Haha. Whatever works for you DAC wise. The uDAC comes pretty highly recommended around here, and at a pretty good price. DIY is always more fun though.

The 880s are a nice can, and you can't beat the comfort.
Quote:
I'd say it's hard to say I like the beyer sound based on closed cans, not? I mean - closed cans will sound far more limited. I understand the sound stage on the DT880s is supposed to be very large - my DT250s are not so much.

I'll look at uDAC as well - I have to admit I'm tempted to buy a already etched PCB and build my own DAC though
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back