++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #2,356 of 29,490

Quote:
AAAH sorry but it's me again!

I placed an order for the 2500's on Sunday, on a website called simplyelectronics.net

However, they have since sent me an email saying my order has been put on hold until I send them a photocopy of the front of my debit card and also a copy of a utility bill, which they say is to prove my identity.

Now, I've ordered online several times and this has never been asked of me before, so should I be worried?
I have also done some research and it sadly looks like many people have been scammed using this website.

Could someone please tell me if they've ever used the website? I'm getting really worried :frowning2:

That souns extremely fishy, and a quick google search turns up similar warnings. Cancel your order immediately, and also contact your bank/credit card and tell them to void any payment that may go through from them.

It's always safe practice to check the manufacturer's list of authorized resellers before purchasing.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #2,357 of 29,490

Quote:
That souns extremely fishy, and a quick google search turns up similar warnings. Cancel your order immediately, and also contact your bank/credit card and tell them to void any payment that may go through from them.

It's always safe practice to check the manufacturer's list of authorized resellers before purchasing.

The problem is they have assured me they will dispatch the order tomorrow morning and I should receive it in 5 working days...

So I think I'll wait and see what happens in the next week before contacting my bank etc. 

I just really hope I can find someone on here who has used that website to ask them about their experience...

There must be someone out here?!?!

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #2,358 of 29,490

Quote:
AAAH sorry but it's me again!

I placed an order for the 2500's on Sunday, on a website called simplyelectronics.net

However, they have since sent me an email saying my order has been put on hold until I send them a photocopy of the front of my debit card and also a copy of a utility bill, which they say is to prove my identity.

Now, I've ordered online several times and this has never been asked of me before, so should I be worried?
I have also done some research and it sadly looks like many people have been scammed using this website.

Could someone please tell me if they've ever used the website? I'm getting really worried :frowning2:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/camcorders-video-editing/739921-simply-electronics.html

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #2,359 of 29,490
Trying to decide between the K701's and the HD650's. All the threads I have read here comparing the two do it off of the basis of classical/jazz music. However, I am a much more pop/rock/indie listener. My music taste covers quite a spectrum, but those genres are what I primarily listen to. Think Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, M. Ward... you get it. Considering this, I'm not entirely sure which headphone is better suited to my taste. Is it the 650's, with the bass and the warmth, or is the the K701's with the clarity. I hate to take it into consideration, but the K701's also look far better from a stylistic perspective, the 650's are ugly. Also, as I'm on a budget, which amp should I be looking at to drive these headphones. I don't need anything extraordinary, just something that will do the job at a reasonable cost.

Or perhaps neither of these headphones are suited for me.

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #2,360 of 29,490

Quote:

I know, I've seen all sorts of bad reviews :frowning2:

The thing is there are also literally hundreds of good reviews mixed in so I could get lucky I suppose, not that it's a good method of online shopping, hoping you get lucky...
I've found them on the american amazon (I live in the UK) for around £180 including P&P which is great, but it would take 20 days to ship...

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #2,361 of 29,490

Quote:
I consider the MS300 to be very close to all those properties you are looking for. The sound is fast and detailed, yet retains some of that characteristic Phiaton warmth. The soundstage is on the small side, but the separation is very good. The highs and mids are crisp and reminiscent of grado yet pulled back a bit. The bass is the leanest of the Phiaton family, yet the most punchy and decisive, and can definitely kick when needed. No amp is required, though a little extra juice brings up the bass and separation.

Try a Beyerdynamic DT770 (32 ohm). They are on the big side, but are very well built, have great isolation, and solid bass end. The 880 and 990 are also worth a look. They typically like to have an amp behind them, but a decent soundcard or home theatre receiver will do just fine.

Well neither the 555 or 595 are wireless... and I'm really not familiar with wireless headphones so I can't really help you there. Sennheiser are one of the most popular brands and have pretty good reviews, but that's about all I can tell you.

The better value is the 555, and if you remove the foam inside it's basically the same as the 595 anyways (do a search on the forums for the 555 foam mod to see pics).

I'm thinking if you need a wireless solution that also has a wireless mic, a gaming headphone might be your only choice...

I plan on using with an astro mixamp 5.8, which is wireless, and any headphone can plug into.  It's not completely devoid of wires, but I don't have to have a wire stretched across the room, just to the little receiver unit the 5.8 uses.

Enmitic, thanks for weighing in, too.

I'm still stumped on finding a way to mute the mic.  I would just get Senn PC360's but they are $250.

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #2,362 of 29,490
Can some one please name a pair of headphones that cost around £200 maybe more. They will be used for Music, gaming and movies.

Music - Drum and Bass

Movies - Movies like Iron Man where you need a sick bass for every step Iron Man takes

Gaming - Just an all rounder 

Thanks 

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #2,363 of 29,490

Quote:

I know, I've seen all sorts of bad reviews :frowning2:

The thing is there are also literally hundreds of good reviews mixed in so I could get lucky I suppose, not that it's a good method of online shopping, hoping you get lucky...
I've found them on the american amazon (I live in the UK) for around £180 including P&P which is great, but it would take 20 days to ship...

You can be safe or sorry. Your choice.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #2,364 of 29,490

Quote:
I consider the MS300 to be very close to all those properties you are looking for. The sound is fast and detailed, yet retains some of that characteristic Phiaton warmth. The soundstage is on the small side, but the separation is very good. The highs and mids are crisp and reminiscent of grado yet pulled back a bit. The bass is the leanest of the Phiaton family, yet the most punchy and decisive, and can definitely kick when needed. No amp is required, though a little extra juice brings up the bass and separation.

Lol, thanks for the suggestion, but I already own the MS300 and was going to sell them to up grade. The reason why is because I felt that the mids were somewhat veiled and vocals didn't sound clean.  Now that I am A/Bing them with the SR60i's I no longer think that I'm hearing veiled mids, but more that I just don't like the sound of closed headphones.  Also, I find that the MS300s can be somewhat harsh on treble, but that is being a bit picky.  Now that I A/B them it's clear that they do posses most of the qualities that I'm looking for, except for one because the parameters changed - can you possibly recommend an open headphone with those qualities?  Thank you for your help!

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #2,365 of 29,490
I was wondering how the difference is between a "studio headset" like DT770 against a 7.1 headset like Logitech G930 is? I was at the local hi-fi store and they told me it was better to use a GAMING headset like G930 for all around PC useage with focus on music and movies. Is he correct?

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #2,366 of 29,490
Quote:
I was wondering how the difference is between a "studio headset" like DT770 against a 7.1 headset like Logitech G930 is? I was at the local hi-fi store and they told me it was better to use a GAMING headset like G930 for all around PC useage with focus on music and movies. Is he correct?

No way.  Get a good set of headphones and a soundcard that does Dolby Headphone virtualization.

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #2,367 of 29,490
I am buying a 32 version of the DT770. Is this better or worse than a 80 or even 250 version? I also only have a motherboard soundcard, but you suggest I get a Soundcard or AMP? In that case, wich one? I have also concidered other headsets but I hear this one is best for PC useage in this priority Music;TV/Movies;Strategy Games;FPS games?

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #2,368 of 29,490

Quote:
Trying to decide between the K701's and the HD650's. All the threads I have read here comparing the two do it off of the basis of classical/jazz music. However, I am a much more pop/rock/indie listener. My music taste covers quite a spectrum, but those genres are what I primarily listen to. Think Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, M. Ward... you get it. Considering this, I'm not entirely sure which headphone is better suited to my taste. Is it the 650's, with the bass and the warmth, or is the the K701's with the clarity. I hate to take it into consideration, but the K701's also look far better from a stylistic perspective, the 650's are ugly. Also, as I'm on a budget, which amp should I be looking at to drive these headphones. I don't need anything extraordinary, just something that will do the job at a reasonable cost.

Or perhaps neither of these headphones are suited for me.

Just go with the K701 and power it from a home receiver.

Quote:
I plan on using with an astro mixamp 5.8, which is wireless, and any headphone can plug into.  It's not completely devoid of wires, but I don't have to have a wire stretched across the room, just to the little receiver unit the 5.8 uses.

Enmitic, thanks for weighing in, too.

I'm still stumped on finding a way to mute the mic.  I would just get Senn PC360's but they are $250.

I'm sure there are mics that have a mute control on them. Just have to shop around. Worst case just keep the mixamp nearby and you can unplug as necessary.

For gaming, the Audio Technica ATH A700 or AD700 are very popular (or the 900 series which are a step up).

Quote:
Can some one please name a pair of headphones that cost around £200 maybe more. They will be used for Music, gaming and movies.

Music - Drum and Bass

Movies - Movies like Iron Man where you need a sick bass for every step Iron Man takes

Gaming - Just an all rounder 

Thanks 

Denon D2000 with jmoney leather earpads
Beyerdynamic DT770-32 ohm
M-Audio Q40

Quote:
Lol, thanks for the suggestion, but I already own the MS300 and was going to sell them to up grade. The reason why is because I felt that the mids were somewhat veiled and vocals didn't sound clean.  Now that I am A/Bing them with the SR60i's I no longer think that I'm hearing veiled mids, but more that I just don't like the sound of closed headphones.  Also, I find that the MS300s can be somewhat harsh on treble, but that is being a bit picky.  Now that I A/B them it's clear that they do posses most of the qualities that I'm looking for, except for one because the parameters changed - can you possibly recommend an open headphone with those qualities?  Thank you for your help!

The best I can think of would either be a higher end Grado or maybe the AKG K701. The K701 you can buy used within your budget, though are generally considered on the cooler side, and it typically wants an amp but will be ok going through a home theatre receiver.

The next step up for Grados within your budget would maybe be the 225, but I would recommend going one more step up to the HF2 which I feel are a little warmer than usual Grados (you can also look into the Alessandros). Or possibly look into modding the SR60; there's a huge thread on modding here, though the first page has everything you need for basic mods and is fairly easy to do. I've done two of them myself.

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #2,369 of 29,490

Quote:
I am buying a 32 version of the DT770. Is this better or worse than a 80 or even 250 version? I also only have a motherboard soundcard, but you suggest I get a Soundcard or AMP? In that case, wich one? I have also concidered other headsets but I hear this one is best for PC useage in this priority Music;TV/Movies;Strategy Games;FPS games?

The matter of sound quality between the various 32/80/260/600 versions is debated on these forums an honestly not something to worry about. For your purposes, since you're using an onboard soundcard the 32 ohm is the best bet as it will be the easiest to drive and bring to reasonably loud levels.

If you have an extra $100, a combo dac/amp like the Nuforce uDac2 or HotAudio DacDestroyer are excellent little units. But if you don't have the budget for it, don't worry about it. It'll sound just fine coming our of your computer.

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,370 of 29,490

Quote:

1: http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-ad900-open-air-dynamic-headphones/reviews My review of the Ad900 is there, mostly compared to the Ad700. The same airy feeling is there, with slightly better bass and slightly better clarity. If you love the Ad700 you'll love the Ad900 even more.

Thanks for the review. It meets all of my qualifications, but here is the burning question for me:

Do you feel that the $200 bump-up was justified on the cans? Part of me is saying "Why spend the money if they sound so similar?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back