++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #2,327 of 29,490
Hi, I am looking to buy some headphones.I have read some reviews here and found a range of similar cans that intrigue me.

These are:  Grado SR-60i, Grado SR-80i, Alessandro MS-1i

The main purpose of these is to listen to my Zune HD at home, and sometimes outside (while walking to the bus ect.) I will also use them to listen to music through my Onkyo amplifier at home which is connected to my PC and Blu-ray. Are these heaphones suitable for my use?

I live in the UK so the prices for Grado's are significantly higher than in the US. They will cost me the following: Grado SR-60i (£90), Grado SR-80i (£100), Alessandro MS-1i (£80).

Which pair do you reccomend I buy? Or any different suggestions?

Many Thanks :)

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #2,329 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I am looking to buy some headphones.I have read some reviews here and found a range of similar cans that intrigue me.

The main purpose of these is to listen to my Zune HD at home, and sometimes outside (while walking to the bus ect.) I will also use them to listen to music through my Onkyo amplifier at home which is connected to my PC and Blu-ray. Are these heaphones suitable for my use?

I live in the UK so the prices for Grado's are significantly higher than in the US. They will cost me the following: Grado SR-60i (£90), Grado SR-80i (£100), Alessandro MS-1i (£80).

I think the 80's are your best bet, they are a sweetspot for entry level Grados. Though they are all great, the SR-80's (or the SR-80i's, the difference isn't night and day) are definitely a step up from the 60(i)'s, and the MS-1's lack a good bit of what the 80's offer. You can't go wrong with either, I think the SR-80(i)'s will warm you cockles best.

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #2,330 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks, Armaegis, keanex, and 12345142.

Couple of questions:

1. How do the AD900 compare to the AD700 in terms of sound? I really, really love the sound of the AD700, yet I haven't heard many other higher-end cans to judge on. I really like the arid feel, and the sense of balance that the AD700 provide. I don't need or want a heavy bass, just something that is present, maybe a little weak.

2. Does anyone know how well the Millett Hybrid Minimax would agree with the k701?

3. I've also been recommended the Beyerdynamic DT880, how do those stack up with the AD700 and AD900? I see a lot of mixed opinions on them. 

Thanks again!

The Millett should be enough to power most headphones. Don't let all the forum talk convince you otherwise.

The AD900 should simply be a step up, probably not a night and day difference. If you're looking for the next big jump, maybe save up for the AD2000 which typically sell used for under $400.

I am personally not a fan of the DT770/880/990 series, but that's just me. I find them to all be a little scooped out in the mids, with varying degrees of shrillness to the top (compared to the AT cans which all have forward mids and softer highs). Some combos with tubes that can roll off the highs alleviates this to my ear, but that's too much fiddling for me. That said, a lot of people love the full sized DT series.

Quote:
Hey there....looking to spend £100-£130 on some closed headphones. Usually listen to music through my laptop or my pioneer hi-fi system for vinyl or CD.

http://www.last.fm/user/grt05

That link above shows the types of music i listen to...i was looking at the shure srh840's....what else compares to these at a similar price range or is better than these at the same price. Would really appreciate any help. Thank you.

Standard comparisons with the 840... 750 DJ, Audio Technica M50, M-Audio Q40, Senn HD25-1-ii (there are more, but these ones I am most familiar with),

Quote:
What are the pluses and minuses to the 595? How does it sound compared to M50 and HFI 580? And it sounds great unamped?

The 555/595 is a very stereotypical Sennheiser sound: relatively flat frequency response, decent bass but not big, a more laid back sound overall, good open soundstage.

The M50 has strong bass and highs, blah mids, aggressive sound overall, closed soundstage, good isolation, durability and portability.

I haven't heard the 580, so can't give a valid comparison there.

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #2,331 of 29,490
I really like the Ultrasone's look and portableness, and that they are comfortable, however I've read reviews that they don't really do justice to rock music (guitars, namely). 

Could you all recommend headphones that are good for that genre of music?

Once again, looking for quality of sound, style, comfort. I listen to rock, alt rock, occasionally metal, and will be listening through my laptop most of the time, and my iPod 20% of the time. Also looking for over-ear and open/closed doesn't matter to me.

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #2,332 of 29,490
I just bought a used set of hd600s from a user on these boards.

I listened to them briefly before and could tell that they needed more juice.

Got them, listened to a new CD I bought with them plugged in a speaker amp. Played them beside my dad's really old hd-424s. His was definitely more bright (as that set was very different from current sennheiser sounding sets, apparently). Definitely sounded nicer on the rich tenor sax on this album. The 600s weren't too exciting and could have used a brighter pop to em.

Now, listening on them through my computer (no proper amp, but through my speakers' output which is powered well enough, it seems). The 600s are a little brighter now.

Soon I'll have a proper amp, but for now these still sound great. I'm really comfortable with the bottom end. Still hoping to bring out the high mids/ highs a little more with a better setup.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #2,333 of 29,490

Quote:

Between the SR80 an MS1, the SR80 is a touch brighter while I find the MS1 is smoother in the mids. The differences are really tiny though.

For the value, I wold say the MS1 is your best buy.

Quote:
I really like the Ultrasone's look and portableness, and that they are comfortable, however I've read reviews that they don't really do justice to rock music (guitars, namely). 

Could you all recommend headphones that are good for that genre of music?

Once again, looking for quality of sound, style, comfort. I listen to rock, alt rock, occasionally metal, and will be listening through my laptop most of the time, and my iPod 20% of the time. Also looking for over-ear and open/closed doesn't matter to me.

My experience with the Ultrasones was opposite and they are my generic recommenation for closed rock/metal headphones. That said, Ultrasones enjoy a love/hate relationship on these boards, which I imagine is mostly due to how people feel about their S-Logic. You really should give them a try before judging.

For open rock/metal cans, Grados are the popular recommendation.

Most grados and ultrasones are easy to drive and should sound fine straight out of a laptop or ipod

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #2,334 of 29,490
One issue I had with the Grados (purely by reading up on them, I haven't had the opportunity to try them) is that they are apparently uncomfortable. Could someone enlighten me on this subject? Are they really that bad?

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #2,335 of 29,490
Just purchased an AKG K701 and I really hoped it would be less needy than it is.  I dont plan on buying another amp but it just doesn't mesh well with my gear.  I am really looking for the best soundstaging experience available ( around $225 ) I wasn't really sure which what to do and may have jumped the gun on the K701, Im not a bass head but I do appreciate and prefer more bass than what it offers.  Anyone have any other suggestions for me, maybe the D2000 or DT880 32ohm?

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #2,336 of 29,490

Quote:
Probably going with K271 MK11 unless anyone can recommend a better can unamped under $200.

K271MKII and DT770-80 are the worst-sounding unamped headphones I've owned.  Ultrasone, Grado, Denon and Shure (and people say A700/900, but haven't heard those) don't take a steep dive in quality when played without an amp.

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #2,337 of 29,490

If the choice was between Sennheiser PC350 and PC360, which one should I go for? It's mainly for gaming with some music here and then. Does the closed design of the PC350 fully block out external sounds? I wouldn't want that. I read that PC360 lets you hear pretty much everything thats going outside. I wouldn't want that either. I want something in the middle.

Thank you

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #2,338 of 29,490

Quote:

If the choice was between Sennheiser PC350 and PC360, which one should I go for? It's mainly for gaming with some music here and then. Does the closed design of the PC350 fully block out external sounds? I wouldn't want that. I read that PC360 lets you hear pretty much everything thats going outside. I wouldn't want that either. I want something in the middle.

Thank you

I had the PC 350s. They definitely block out external sounds pretty good, which is a bad thing in your case.

I can't even tell if I'm yelling into the microphone and I can't hear anyone if they are calling out my name.

I would probably go for the PC 360s.

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #2,339 of 29,490
Hello. Since I'm new and inexperienced to the world of headphones, I will try to be as concise as possible.

I'm looking to buy a good set of headphones that will last me through college (the next four years, essentially). I love good music, and sometimes I watch a movie or play a video game here and there. In terms of aesthetics, I'm not too picky. I do prefer a comfortable headphone though.

Any former experience with headphones is summed up by Skullcandy. I didn't have much preference in headphones; I just thought music was music and there's be no real difference between stylish and accurate headphones (you can guess how this ends. My skullcandy HESH'd headphones are great for looking like a punk for a good hour before its iron grip and weird sound quality gives me a headache).

So here's my question, half way into this giant essay I'm writing as a reply to this thread:
Given that I have no experience with even entry-level audiophile headphones, and that I have roughly $200 to spend,
And that I enjoy a deep, bass (more boom, less punch), especially in rock and alternative (think Gorillaz, Zebrahead, and Billy Talent)
No real taste for classical or jazz or country or dubstep or anything like that (maybe a little rap here and there, some electronica; Gorillaz likes to do a bit of everything)

Which headphones are right for me? I've done probably over five hours of just reading reviews and debates in these forums.
Right now my sights are set on Sennheiser 555, 558, 595, and Grados 225i (sorted by price)
I have no clue as to if I should get an amp (apparently some headphones need them and some don't, also depends on my output source).
I spend half my listening time out and about with my iPod Touch, and the other half at home on a HP laptop with foobar2000's bass equalizer.

If I had to rate the importance of the different aspects of a set, I'd say I prefer them in this order: Comfort, Sound, Durability, Price
Any and all advice is appreciated; I've been stewing over this for nearly a month.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #2,340 of 29,490

Quote:
I Like Sennheiser RS 180. The RS 180 makes movie and HDTV marathons an incredible experience thanks to the programmed Level Control that compensates for variances within the volume of program material to further improve speech intelligibility…just set your comfortable volume level and let ALC do the rest. The RS 180 utilizes KLEER’s uncompressed a digital wireless audio transmission (it appears wired! ), offering a range of about 320 feet, audiophile-grade sound along with reception to four optional twos of Sennheiser KLEER headphones. Never fuss with tuning again because of automatic, interference-free pairing between the headphone and transmitter.

Thanks for the advice, but those are just a bit out of my price range ($90 over).
I'm also not interested in wireless headphones; I'm looking for a good pair I can sit down with without having to recharge every few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back