++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 20, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #2,311 of 29,490

Quote:
Quick question: Which headphone is better? I mainly listen to Drum 'n Bass, House, Dance, sometimes Rock. I listen while on trains/public transport and at home & sometimes gaming.

Sennheiser HD 438 or Sennheiser HD 215-II

Thanks!

The HD215s probably have more bass and isolate more than the HD438s so I would get those. I reiterate: probably, seeing as I've only heard the HD428s.

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #2,313 of 29,490
Well guys, I signed up to this forum a few weeks ago and can honestly say it's easily one of the most, if not the most best/most informative forums/websites I've ever come across.

As a student, money is a factor and I wanted to get my first real audiophilic investment as correct as possible and in the end, settled for the Ultrasone PRO 2500.
They've been discontinued for a while now and replaced by the 2900, but that played to my advantage as they were £150 cheaper than the 2900 :) I figured it wasn't worth buying the 2900 for that much extra.

It wasn't easy, I twice cancelled orders after having second thoughts/learning something new, first with the K701's (not enough bass for my needs I read) and then the HD650 (difficult to power and also not the most lively headphones I've heard). I settled for the Ultrasone's, which actually surprisingly were the first headphones I considered. Love at first sight :p

So yeah, they will arrive soon and I also will probably get the Fiio e7 and e9 combo as I need an amp for around £100 as it's all I have left and I heard it's decent.
I hope I'm not dissapointed and that I've made the right choice, and I'll definitely be back here more often, posting more questions if I need info, and maybe, just maybe one day I'll have sufficient knowledge to answer some questions myself :) Or maybe not haha!

But yeah, thanks everyone for your help! And thanks for getting me one step closer to bankrupcy :)

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #2,314 of 29,490

Quote:
Well guys, I signed up to this forum a few weeks ago and can honestly say it's easily one of the most, if not the most best/most informative forums/websites I've ever come across.

As a student, money is a factor and I wanted to get my first real audiophilic investment as correct as possible and in the end, settled for the Ultrasone PRO 2500.
They've been discontinued for a while now and replaced by the 2900, but that played to my advantage as they were £150 cheaper than the 2900 :) I figured it wasn't worth buying the 2900 for that much extra.

It wasn't easy, I twice cancelled orders after having second thoughts/learning something new, first with the K701's (not enough bass for my needs I read) and then the HD650 (difficult to power and also not the most lively headphones I've heard). I settled for the Ultrasone's, which actually surprisingly were the first headphones I considered. Love at first sight :p

So yeah, they will arrive soon and I also will probably get the Fiio e7 and e9 combo as I need an amp for around £100 as it's all I have left and I heard it's decent.
I hope I'm not dissapointed and that I've made the right choice, and I'll definitely be back here more often, posting more questions if I need info, and maybe, just maybe one day I'll have sufficient knowledge to answer some questions myself :) Or maybe not haha!

But yeah, thanks everyone for your help! And thanks for getting me one step closer to bankrupcy :)

The K701 and Hd650 both require a good amp actually. I hope you're happy with your purchase though!

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2,316 of 29,490

Quote:
eucariote

In your shoes, I'd get DT250-250 & SRH940 and return the one you like less.

That's not a bad idea.  I can actually justify 2 sets.  I think what I may do is return the 840's, order the DT 250 - 250, if they're not great, return them and hope the 940s come out before my 30 days are up on the p-5.  Then perhaps wait until April to sample the Denon's, unless I'm completely blown away by either the 250 or the 940.  I'm thinking regarding a good amp the i-Qube v. 1 I use would count.   Thanks!   

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #2,317 of 29,490

Quote:
I previously posted here but I'm still unsure of what to buy. My choice was between the Skullcandy Hesh for $20, the Sony MDR-XB300 for $26, the Audio Technica ATH-M20 for $25, or the Panasonic HTX7 for $31. What would be better in terms of sound, look, value, included items, durability, and just overall quality. I listen to all kinds of music, from hard rock, to dubstep, to heavy metal, to rap, and classical.

I haven't personally heard any of those, but the HTX7 has rated relatively well on these forums. The Sony XB series are also quite popular.

Quote:
Soooo, I'm new here as well and I have searched for many hours and came up with uh, pretty much "nothing". I own a Denon DJ headphone right now (DN-HP1000). These are pretty awesome headphones, but they got worn out after a couple of years. Now I'm trying to find something to replace them. I am not actually a DJ, so I don't need the flexibility of these headphones.

What I am looking for though, is something with good lows and a well balanced sound. I looked into the new V-Moda Crossfade LP, which looks pretty good to me right now. But they are expensive... Not that that's a problem, but if I'm gonna spend 200 dollars on headphones, I want them to be really good! Any tips? :)

Random recommenations...
Allen Heath XD-53
Beyerdynamic DT770
M-Audio Q40
Shure SRH840
Phiaton M400

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #2,318 of 29,490
Can you guys shoot me some recommendations for some cans, sub $200 price range, powered well by an ipod and sound great when listening to jazz classical or talk radio? I am looking at a few sennheisers right now, the 595 jumps to mind, but I am open to suggestions. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2,320 of 29,490

Quote:
Quick question: Which headphone is better? I mainly listen to Drum 'n Bass, House, Dance, sometimes Rock. I listen while on trains/public transport and at home & sometimes gaming.

Sennheiser HD 438 or Sennheiser HD 215-II

Thanks!

You're going to want to pretty hefty isolation for the transit... consider the Senn HD280pro which should be around the same price bracket and are fantastic at isolation.

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. After finding that the Alessandro's come to around £80 due to shipping charges, is it worth going for the sr80's (currently £90-100) ? And for that matter is their a wealth of difference between the Grado/Alessandro with the K201 in sound quality?. Finally how would the Alessandro's compare with the Sennheiser HD 448 in sound quality ?( I own a pair). Thanks

EDIT: Looked at the Ultrasones, nothing really caught my eye and they are relatively hard to find. Any ones in particular would you suggest?

Choosing between the SR80 and MS1 which are the same price, I preferred the MS1.

It's quite different from the 448, considering if nothing else you're comparing between open and closed headphones.

Quote:
In terms of bass, are there any other cans that are as good as the M-Audio Studiophile Q40, but are around the ear? (Seeing as I am looking for a bit more isolation.)

Rather than buying new cans, consider getting new pads. The stock pads aren't that great and are rather thin so they don't actually seal around the ear that well. Try putting on Beyer DT770 pads (or 880/990, it's all the same), either velour or leather.

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #2,321 of 29,490

Quote:
Can you guys shoot me some recommendations for some cans, sub $200 price range, powered well by an ipod and sound great when listening to jazz classical or talk radio? I am looking at a few sennheisers right now, the 595 jumps to mind, but I am open to suggestions. 

Quote:
Also strongly considering the Beyerdynamic line, 770 or 880 32 ohm.

The big Beyers generally want an amp behind them if you want to get any loud volumes, even the 32 ohm models. I would stick with the Sennheiser models.

The HD595 is well regarded, or find the 555 used somewhere (or some new old stock) and remove the foam to make it a 595.

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2,322 of 29,490
Thanks, Armaegis, keanex, and 12345142.

Couple of questions:

1. How do the AD900 compare to the AD700 in terms of sound? I really, really love the sound of the AD700, yet I haven't heard many other higher-end cans to judge on. I really like the arid feel, and the sense of balance that the AD700 provide. I don't need or want a heavy bass, just something that is present, maybe a little weak.

2. Does anyone know how well the Millett Hybrid Minimax would agree with the k701?

3. I've also been recommended the Beyerdynamic DT880, how do those stack up with the AD700 and AD900? I see a lot of mixed opinions on them. 

Thanks again!

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #2,323 of 29,490
Hey there....looking to spend £100-£130 on some closed headphones. Usually listen to music through my laptop or my pioneer hi-fi system for vinyl or CD.

http://www.last.fm/user/grt05

That link above shows the types of music i listen to...i was looking at the shure srh840's....what else compares to these at a similar price range or is better than these at the same price. Would really appreciate any help. Thank you.

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #2,325 of 29,490

What are the pluses and minuses to the 595? How does it sound compared to M50 and HFI 580? And it sounds great unamped?
Quote:

The big Beyers generally want an amp behind them if you want to get any loud volumes, even the 32 ohm models. I would stick with the Sennheiser models.

The HD595 is well regarded, or find the 555 used somewhere (or some new old stock) and remove the foam to make it a 595.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back