++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 16, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #2,206 of 29,490
That's the first time I've ever heard the M50s referred to as "analytical" and "lax." But anyways, the Denon D7000/D5000 has what you're looking for. The K702s don't have the "spirit" you're talking about.

The E7/E9 is a good combination but don't forget there are other amps out there. The CEntrance DACport, Yulong U100 and Audinst MX1 are pretty well-regarded budget solutions, as well as products from Firestone Audio and Travagan's. To be honest, I only have experience with the MX1 but I bet the other amps I listed sound just as good, if not better.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #2,207 of 29,490
Hey guys, just a quick question from a newer user here (well, not a "new" user per se, but finally getting back into the headphone world).

Is there a preferred way to experience ones' music? I'm currently running my Shure SR840's through the headphone jack on my Macbook (I'll be buying a DAC/Amp combo in April), and I listen to my music using iTunes, with most songs being at least 256kbps VBR, or in Apple Lossless. Does this seem like a pretty standard set-up, or this is completely ass-backwards from what someone should be doing when listening to music with half-decent 'cans? As mentioned, I'll be purchasing a DAC/Amp to slot in between my Macbook and Shure's, but is there something I should be looking at doing/buying?

Also, another random, short question; what is that short, fat cable I see connecting amps to music players? Just a line out cable? It just struck me as an odd item given its extremely short (No point in it being too long, I guess?) and extremely thick (as far as cables go).

Thanks for the help!

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #2,208 of 29,490
A DAC/amp is a great idea. Nothing wrong with that.

The cable is a line-out cable. If it were much longer, it would just get in the way. Some of them are quite thick because of the wire used.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #2,209 of 29,490

Quote:
That's the first time I've ever heard the M50s referred to as "analytical" and "lax." But anyways, the Denon D7000/D5000 has what you're looking for. The K702s don't have the "spirit" you're talking about.

The E7/E9 is a good combination but don't forget there are other amps out there. The CEntrance DACport, Yulong U100 and Audinst MX1 are pretty well-regarded budget solutions, as well as products from Firestone Audio and Travagan's. To be honest, I only have experience with the MX1 but I bet the other amps I listed sound just as good, if not better.

Thank you for the suggestion! Let me clarify: sometimes on very slow hip hop, I feel like the M-50's lack the kind of strength that the music deserves, and just feels a little bit (ever-so-slightly) washed out, as if the music is almost slower than it should be. To be honest, this is likely because they are M-50's and I am used to listening to a lot of my music on a high-end studio system so I expect too much from them.

I do like transparency, so I do like the fact that I feel the M-50's are a bit more neutral than say, Grados, but I don't like headphones that are too cold. I like to hear everything in the recording, and if I feel anything is over-emphasized or significantly out of place it is deeply unsettling for me for reasons I don't quite understand. Are the K702/Q701's a really neutral headphone? In terms of "spirit", I don't necessarily need them to be what people seem to call "fun" or "rock-out" cans (aka hot Grados), but I want good soundstaging and a sound that is not freezing cold. I don't want to feel like I'm analyzing songs like it's my job or anything, I want to want to bob my head. But I do like hearing everything, and I feel that my best experiences with headphones such as my friend's HD-800s were as such because I heard a depth to recordings that I cannot get with my current setup. The HD-800's were infinitely more immersive. If the D7000's or K702/Q701's are still your recommendation, then fantastic! I would also love to hear anyone else's opinion, so if anyone has one, shoot.

I won't forget that there are other amps out there, but I feel like for under $150, the E9 is a sensible choice considering I already posses its other half. If I need to upgrade to a better amp in the future, I have no problem doing so, but I feel as if higher-end headphones with an E9 are a much more sensible choice than a higher-end amp and less high-end headphones, as I would rather shop for amps that match my headphones than vice-versa. I will check out the amps you mentioned and keep them bookmarked for the future, though! Thanks a lot.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #2,210 of 29,490
Hey, quick question for you guys.

So I recently bought a pair of DJ1 Pros, but I think the store sent me a pair of used ones as new, because they were completely and hopelessly broken. I'm pretty sure the highs had completely been blown out. Anyway, I'm looking for cans that in order of importance to me:
1) Good sound quality: I mainly listen to R&B, Hiphop, but lots of old stuff too, James Brown, Frankie Valli
2) Reliability
3) Comfort? (I have a rather large head. I wear a size 8 hat)
4) Leakage/Isolation
5) Looks. Yes it's vain, but what I'm trying to do is show that good audio quality can look good and come at a decent price, *ahemnotbeatsbydre* or any other rapper for that matter.

And something in the price range of oh...$100-200, kind of like the Ultrasones.

I've been doing research and the Sennheiser HD-25's seem like they fit my criterion pretty well? Not sure though. If I pick the Sennheisers, Id want the Adidas Originals version, that are black/blue, but they're ridiculously expensive, around $280. I saw a used pair on Amazon for around 180, is it safe to buy? The retailer is one of Amazon's featured merchants, but I'm not sure...they say they're "new" but in an opened box.

So yeah, I'm not sure if those used are a safe buy, or if there are better alternatives.

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #2,211 of 29,490

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion! Let me clarify: sometimes on very slow hip hop, I feel like the M-50's lack the kind of strength that the music deserves, and just feels a little bit (ever-so-slightly) washed out, as if the music is almost slower than it should be. To be honest, this is likely because they are M-50's and I am used to listening to a lot of my music on a high-end studio system so I expect too much from them.

I do like transparency, so I do like the fact that I feel the M-50's are a bit more neutral than say, Grados, but I don't like headphones that are too cold. I like to hear everything in the recording, and if I feel anything is over-emphasized or significantly out of place it is deeply unsettling for me for reasons I don't quite understand. Are the K702/Q701's a really neutral headphone? In terms of "spirit", I don't necessarily need them to be what people seem to call "fun" or "rock-out" cans (aka hot Grados), but I want good soundstaging and a sound that is not freezing cold. I don't want to feel like I'm analyzing songs like it's my job or anything, I want to want to bob my head. But I do like hearing everything, and I feel that my best experiences with headphones such as my friend's HD-800s were as such because I heard a depth to recordings that I cannot get with my current setup. The HD-800's were infinitely more immersive. If the D7000's or K702/Q701's are still your recommendation, then fantastic! I would also love to hear anyone else's opinion, so if anyone has one, shoot.

I won't forget that there are other amps out there, but I feel like for under $150, the E9 is a sensible choice considering I already posses its other half. If I need to upgrade to a better amp in the future, I have no problem doing so, but I feel as if higher-end headphones with an E9 are a much more sensible choice than a higher-end amp and less high-end headphones, as I would rather shop for amps that match my headphones than vice-versa. I will check out the amps you mentioned and keep them bookmarked for the future, though! Thanks a lot.

Random suggestion scraping the top of your budget... Hifiman HE-4 + EF5: http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=96

Quote:
Hey, quick question for you guys.

So I recently bought a pair of DJ1 Pros, but I think the store sent me a pair of used ones as new, because they were completely and hopelessly broken. I'm pretty sure the highs had completely been blown out. Anyway, I'm looking for cans that in order of importance to me:
1) Good sound quality: I mainly listen to R&B, Hiphop, but lots of old stuff too, James Brown, Frankie Valli
2) Reliability
3) Comfort? (I have a rather large head. I wear a size 8 hat)
4) Leakage/Isolation
5) Looks. Yes it's vain, but what I'm trying to do is show that good audio quality can look good and come at a decent price, *ahemnotbeatsbydre* or any other rapper for that matter.

And something in the price range of oh...$100-200, kind of like the Ultrasones.

I've been doing research and the Sennheiser HD-25's seem like they fit my criterion pretty well? Not sure though. If I pick the Sennheisers, Id want the Adidas Originals version, that are black/blue, but they're ridiculously expensive, around $280. I saw a used pair on Amazon for around 180, is it safe to buy? The retailer is one of Amazon's featured merchants, but I'm not sure...they say they're "new" but in an opened box.

So yeah, I'm not sure if those used are a safe buy, or if there are better alternatives.

Thanks!

The HD25 fits your criteria quite well. Headroom has a b-stock on sale for $189... http://www.headphone.com/support/b-stock-outlet.php
They are a reputable company and I've purchased from them before.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2,212 of 29,490
Mmmm, looks good, I'm just not sure about the no-return policy thing. I mean I just bought a pair of headphones new, and they turned out broken, albeit I did buy them from Adorama, but still. So b-stock is just where headroom sells their items that have been opened? Still same company and everything?

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #2,213 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The HD800s and K702/Q701s aren't exactly head-bobbing headphones. So if you're torn between the D7000s and the AKGs, I would go for the D7000s.
I didn't know you had a Fiio E7, but in that case, the E9 would be your first choice.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #2,214 of 29,490

Quote:
Mmmm, looks good, I'm just not sure about the no-return policy thing. I mean I just bought a pair of headphones new, and they turned out broken, albeit I did buy them from Adorama, but still. So b-stock is just where headroom sells their items that have been opened? Still same company and everything?

They are usually just open boxes for testing/pictures, but you can ask them to be sure. If the product was actually defective (and not just something you didn't like) they would probably give a refund.

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #2,215 of 29,490
Hi all, another semi noob here for advice. I recently bought a set of AKG K702s online and bought a mates under utilized fiio E9  to drive them seeing as folks here seem to think its a good amp for the 702s for the price. now waiting for a nice big box from USPS, which in australia could take quite some time >_>
i have been doing a fair bit of reading but havent been able to find a 100% concrete answer for two questions i have.

1. what exactly is the benefit of the E7 combined with the E9 and will getting an E7 make enough difference to warrant not eating for a week (im a uni student. and thus poor :p)  better yet, will it help to increase the weak bass that the 702s offer?

2. i understand that the 702s require a great deal of time to burn in, but i was wondering if there was any right or wrong way of doing this? will playing different types of music result in a slightly different sound post break in etc? also is there a issue with leaving them playing for a few days at a stretch to get the 100 hours + that they apparently require over with quickly? 

sorry for the ubernoob questions, but i dont want to inadvertently do something stupid and damage them.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #2,216 of 29,490
  • The E7 combined with the E9 gives you the E7's better DAC, which provides a better signal with which to feed the E9 with. Proper amplification will improve the bass a little, but don't expect it to magically solve all your problems. No component can totally change the sound of a headphone. I'll leave you to decide for yourself whether the E7 is worth starving for or not.
  • Just play whatever music you normally listen to, at a level slightly higher than your normal listening volume - at least, that's what I do. There should be nothing wrong with playing them nonstop for a few days, just make sure it's not deafeningly loud.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #2,218 of 29,490
Hi guys, here's the thing. I love how my SR225i performs for most of my music, but when it comes to something with deeper bass I'm not very satisfied... so basically I'm looking for a nice complement with great bang for the buck value. Budget is about $300

Currently I´m considering: 

Ultrasone HFI-2400
Sennheiser HD600
Denon AH-D2000

What do you think... is there any other headphone I should consider?

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #2,219 of 29,490
I can't speak for the Ultrasones but the Denon would give you the bass you want.  But they're polar opposites from the Grado sound.  Closed with typical closed signature, big bass,  back-row mids. The HD600 is a great headphone, and while the bass is there it's typical of open designs:  Goes deep, but without a lot of weight.

An  Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is another phone to think about.  In it's price range its spoken highly of.  I've not heard it myself, I'm just repeating what I've read, so don't take that as a "recommendation". Just another option to consider.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2,220 of 29,490
Ultrasones are my general recommendation for people who want something like a grado but closed and/or with more bass. I agree with cswann1 that the Denon is an opposite sound from a Grado. If you're looking for something different, that's a pretty safe choice. Also consider the Phiaton MS400 which I consider to be even more "opposite" (see the review in my profile).

Overall I am not a fan of the M50, though I can understand why people like it. Prices have come back down recently, which brings their appeal up. It's got a similar kind of aggressive feel, but lacks in the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back