++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #2,116 of 29,490
I have settled on the Audio-Technica ATH-SQ5 ($50) since there is a promotion on where I am. Any comments on it?

Quote:
I am looking for something with good noise isolation, but is comfortable and not too warm on the ears after a few hours. Used primarily for studying in noisy environment, and also watching movies on laptop. Preferably cheap and durable too as I am a student on a tight budget. I am currently using IEM for studying but while it works it hurts my ears after a couple of hours.

Currently considering these headphones:
Sennheiser PX 200

Awaiting your wise inputs, thanks
dft009.gif

(Please quote me so I know your reply is directed to me, thanks!)

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #2,117 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay:

Pay price: less than $250 (some headphones' MSRP are high but can be found for cheaper)
Closed headphone
Good soundstage
Foldable/lie flat: (so they can easily fit into my backpack)
Midrange is good for pop/female vocals
Not too sibilant
Amp not required but can be used for better SQ: (I might decide to buy one later, but I want to avoid one for now)

Ultrasone DJ1 PRO is my primary choice right now. Any other suggestions for headphones?

The Beyerdynamic T50p and B&W P5 might also be worth a look (I think they both retail at $300, but I've seen them go for lower)

Quote:
BTW, ES7 isn't full-sized but on ear design, unless you meant full-sized as in not IEM.

Oh and don't misunderstand what he said about ES7 having the usual airy texture. They sound nothing like the AD700. XD

As for the D2000, I've heard of them having a pretty noticeable v shaped curved. Consider how much better the D7000 is known to be over the D2000, I can tell you, they are NOT flat in sound...lol. They are definitely prominent on bass and treble, though the mids are not far behind (at least on the D7000).

I would say the ES7 is more like the ESW9 than the AD700.

The D2000 did not have a strong v curve when I listened to them. They had a strong bass response (if I pressed the cups to my ears to achieve a proper seal), but not overly so, and I didn't find the highs that bright either. I have not heard the D7000, although I've heard a D5000 which I felt was a bit "warmer" in sound but otherwise not much different.

Quote:
I see what you're saying. I kind of find the D2k to be warm sounding and bass heavy. I never really found it analytical, haha. So the K518 LEs do have a considerable amount of bass? What's your experience with the other aspects? Are the mids recessed, or is the treble sibilant? I also don't like ear piercing highs. If you could just tell me about those aspects, I would be thankful. 

Yeah the K518 is bass heavy and clamps like a mofo. Great seal and isolation, which brings up that bass response. I don't recall much about the other aspects, so it would be safe to assume I found them "normal".

Quote:
I have settled on the Audio-Technica ATH-SQ5 ($50) since there is a promotion on where I am. Any comments on it?

You picked one. Stick with it, don't look back. This place will only make you spend more money!

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #2,118 of 29,490

Quote:
The Beyerdynamic T50p and B&W P5 might also be worth a look (I think they both retail at $300, but I've seen them go for lower)

I'll take a look into the B&W P5, I haven't heard anything about the T50p's.

Quote:
HFI-580

Yeah that's in my list as well, but I think the PRO has a bigger soundstage doesn't it?

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #2,119 of 29,490

Quote:
Yeah the K518 is bass heavy and clamps like a mofo. Great seal and isolation, which brings up that bass response. I don't recall much about the other aspects, so it would be safe to assume I found them "normal".

First off I just want to say thanks for giving your feedback. There aren't too many people with K518LE experience. Any remedy for the clamp? That's one thing I can't stand. I also have a small head. Regardless, I was able to fix the clamp of my DT770 pro 80s, think I could do the same for the K518s?

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2,120 of 29,490
Stretching it over a box or stack of books is the standard way. If you have a small/narrow head, it might not be much of an issue. If you have a music store nearby, see if the have a pair of K81 to try out, which are basically the same thing without the fancy colours.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #2,122 of 29,490

Quote:
i am going to choose one of them:xb500 or xb700 k450 px100ii
ji first cnosideqr a great bass

portable open = PX100ii
portable closed = K450
semi portable closed = XB500
sorta but not really portable = XB700

They are also ordered roughly from least to most bass. Choose from there.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #2,123 of 29,490
I am planning to buy full sized open back headphone such as grado's. My budget is under 200 USD. I am using it to be connected to my PC. 
Most of my songs are in FLAC or APE formats so the only donwside is on my soundcard but I'm planning to improve it somehow either by buying ASUS XONAR or buy DAC (still hasn't made up my mind regarding this)
I listen to rock n roll, blues rock, jazz hard rock, and a bit of metal

any suggestion on what headphone I should set my eye upon?

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #2,124 of 29,490
Alright..I have a bit of a problem..I've been enjoying my Sr60i's for a couple of weeks now and I've been blown away by the sound quality I've been missing this whole time. I got a little snag, though..the metal rod that holds the left cup into the headband came loose. I would listen to music and the left cup would sometimes just fall right off! This may have happened because I'm not quite accustomed to having quality headphones yet, I kinda treated them like any other headphones..aka rough. Right now the only thing holding the left cup onto my head is the pressure. Any force from the cable being pulled or adjustments would make them fall right off.

Should I just glue them in with some super glue or is there a replacement head band or something?
There's nothing wrong with the physical driver, it's still fine which is a relief. it's just the metal rod that's been giving me problems.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #2,125 of 29,490
So I'm all new into the world of "headphones that cost more than 20 bucks" and just wanted to ask about a good pair of headphones around 100-200$ I tend to listen rock,jazz,techno,funk music.
Sound isolation is not such a big matter for me but still it'd be nice if I could take them out for the street at time to time.
I probably picking between these three
Sennheiser HD 448
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
DENON AH-D2000

and maybe Grado SR 60i but from what I've understood design wise they're not that pair that you want to take for street. But if they turn out to be way better than three above mentioned models I might just gonna forget about all that "street-walking" with them and enjoy them at home :D

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #2,126 of 29,490
Quote:
So I'm all new into the world of "headphones that cost more than 20 bucks" and just wanted to ask about a good pair of headphones around 100-200$ I tend to listen rock,jazz,techno,funk music.
Sound isolation is not such a big matter for me but still it'd be nice if I could take them out for the street at time to time.
I probably picking between these three
Sennheiser HD 448
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
DENON AH-D2000

and maybe Grado SR 60i but from what I've understood design wise they're not that pair that you want to take for street. But if they turn out to be way better than three above mentioned models I might just gonna forget about all that "street-walking" with them and enjoy them at home :D

The D2000s are probably to big for most people to consider "streetable" and they have a pretty loose fit too.  I wouldn't want to drop them onto the sidewalk either.  The M50 is built like a tank and I know they will stay on your head better.  The Senns probably will too.  The Grados may have zero isolation, but they'll stay put and anything that a simple drop would break is easily fixable on them..

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #2,127 of 29,490
I appreciate your answer about fit and isolation of headphones, and I'd like to know more about sound quality of each model (if it's possible) 
I don't listen too very bass heavy music (hip-hop,r'n'b) so bass doesn't really matter to me..I just want to make sure I hear bass clearly don't need that boom

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #2,128 of 29,490
Quote:
I appreciate your answer about fit and isolation of headphones, and I'd like to know more about sound quality of each model (if it's possible) 
I don't listen too very bass heavy music (hip-hop,r'n'b) so bass doesn't really matter to me..I just want to make sure I hear bass clearly don't need that boom

Anything that lets you hear the sub-bass at less than ear-bleeding volumes is considered "bass-heavy" by most of the treble heads around here.  I know that both the M50s and D2000s will be fine for that without having so much it ruins other genres.  IMO the Grados are one-trick ponies for rock and metal (where they do excel) but so-so with other genres, though others disagree.  I've never heard the Senns you mention.

Between the the M50s and the D2000s the biggest difference is that Denons have a larger soundstage but add a noticeable amount of sibilance as well.  Both have weaknesses so it will come down to which one you can live with.  The M50s smaller soundstage and "closed-in" feeling really only bothered me on large orchestral pieces when I owned them, but the sibilance on the D2000s bothered me with pretty much everything that had female vocals.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #2,129 of 29,490
I guesss I'll remove d2000 option then..plus I just checked prices on them in mine country and that's pretty sick: 540$ average O.o

tough choice eeh..both three are good from what I've heard
..oh wait just checked prices on three of 'em: both senn and grado cost here around 100 bucks while audio-technica cost like 220+ $ so they better be damn way better than grado or senn if I'm going to buy them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back