++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 10, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #2,101 of 29,490
You should try to find a ATH ESW9 if possible.  These are not only beautiful looking portable headphones, they sound outstanding with great mids and they are also veryeasy to drive so they would run relatively well straight out of your Ipad.  The problems you might face with these is that they are usually in the $400 range and I don't know how well they would do for gaming, although I doubt they would be bad at it. 

The headphones Armaegis listed would also be good for you to look into as well.  I own the DT770 Pro 80 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for gaming (although I'm not a big gamer, they work very well for me), and I think that unless you have lots of experience with other high end audio equipment, you would be very happy with their sound for music, even out of your Ipad. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #2,102 of 29,490

Quote:
Assuming your pair are genuine, the crackling could simply be dirt or some random fluff touching the driver. I you can open up the cups and have a can of compressed air, give it a couple of gentle bursts of air and see if that cleans it out. The less recommended method is to also crank the volume up and shake it a bit.

Maybe give some of the big Beyers (DT770/880/990) some consideration.

i looked inside the cans and there was no dust/dirt, i think the person had damaged  them or something, i have sent them back and got the money for them so its out of my hands now.

something i should add is that allthough the cans were very well made, it didnt have the original screw on adapter, it just had a push on, so that made me wonder a bit.

i looked at the DT range and i was looking for some portability, otherwise i probably would have gone with the denon 2000's.

so i guess the big question is where can i get a pair of genuine new M50's from??? Headphone.com? ebay:asavings? i really dont know

thanks in advance

Mar 10, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #2,103 of 29,490
Been a while since I've asked for a recommendation. I figure I've earned my chance :).
Need a full sized but also semi portable headphone. I've narrowed it down to about three or four.

ATH-ES7
K518 LE
D1100
MDR-V6

I'm looking for something with a similar sound signature to the D2k, and I hear the D1100 would be right up my alley. However, because money is tight, I would also love to save $100+ and get the K518 LEs for $50 if I hear good things about them. ES7 is listed because if the sound is truly worth the price difference and surpasses the D2k I might consider spending the extra dough. However, what I'm really asking is... Are the K518s similar to the D1100? If so, I think that's what I'm going with. How about the MDR-V6? They're ugly, but I can deal. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #2,104 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis link
Assuming your pair are genuine, the crackling could simply be dirt or some random fluff touching the driver. I you can open up the cups and have a can of compressed air, give it a couple of gentle bursts of air and see if that cleans it out. The less recommended method is to also crank the volume up and shake it a bit.

Maybe give some of the big Beyers (DT770/880/990) some consideration.

i looked inside the cans and there was no dust/dirt, i think the person had damaged them or something, i have sent them back and got the money for them so its out of my hands now.

something i should add is that allthough the cans were very well made, it didnt have the original screw on adapter, it just had a push on, so that made me wonder a bit.

i looked at the DT range and i was looking for some portability, otherwise i probably would have gone with the denon 2000's.

so i guess the big question is where can i get a pair of genuine new M50's from??? Headphone.com? ebay:asavings? i really dont know

thanks in advance

ScitScat. They have m50s for $110

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #2,106 of 29,490
I've decided to get the DT990PRO - Open Studio Headphones 250 Ohms from Long and Mcquade in Canada. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on that deal on Amazon a few weeks ago. It went on sale AND was able to get it ship to Canada.

But before I go ahead with this I just want to know if there is any difference between the DT990 PRO and the DT990 Premiums.

Considering the 250 Ohms is easier to drive would I be alright with just the mixamp for sound and voice chat? I''ll be using the headphones with the Astro mixamp on the PS3 for games and movies with my media player.

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #2,107 of 29,490

Quote:
I've decided to get the DT990PRO - Open Studio Headphones 250 Ohms from Long and Mcquade in Canada. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on that deal on Amazon a few weeks ago. It went on sale AND was able to get it ship to Canada.

But before I go ahead with this I just want to know if there is any difference between the DT990 PRO and the DT990 Premiums.

Considering the 250 Ohms is easier to drive would I be alright with just the mixamp for sound and voice chat? I''ll be using the headphones with the Astro mixamp on the PS3 for games and movies with my media player.

250 ohm Pro vs Premium discussion:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450857/dt990-version-questions

Don't feel bad about missing the sale, the customs & shipping would have cost dearly (read a few pages back: 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the headphones).  If you still want to save a few pennies, there is this option.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #2,108 of 29,490

Quote:
Been a while since I've asked for a recommendation. I figure I've earned my chance :).
Need a full sized but also semi portable headphone. I've narrowed it down to about three or four.

ATH-ES7
K518 LE
D1100
MDR-V6

I'm looking for something with a similar sound signature to the D2k, and I hear the D1100 would be right up my alley. However, because money is tight, I would also love to save $100+ and get the K518 LEs for $50 if I hear good things about them. ES7 is listed because if the sound is truly worth the price difference and surpasses the D2k I might consider spending the extra dough. However, what I'm really asking is... Are the K518s similar to the D1100? If so, I think that's what I'm going with. How about the MDR-V6? They're ugly, but I can deal. 

I haven't heard the D1100, but I've heard the other three and of those I would say the closest in sound is the V6.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2,109 of 29,490

Quote:
250 ohm Pro vs Premium discussion:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450857/dt990-version-questions

Don't feel bad about missing the sale, the customs & shipping would have cost dearly (read a few pages back: 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the headphones).  If you still want to save a few pennies, there is this option.

From what I remember after shipping and duties it was around $250 or less. I would of got it but I was new here and still doing research.

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #2,111 of 29,490

Quote:
Wow, really? That's the opposite of what I expected to hear.

Well, I said it's the "closest"... I consider the D2000 and V6 to both have very flat frequecy responses, and to my ear I find them both rather plain sounding (but at least consistently so, for comparitive purposes). The ES7 is, well, it sounds like an Audio Technica with the usual airy texture. The AKG is essentially a bass cannon that slaps your ear drums. Given the choices, I'd go with the V6 for closest sounding.

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #2,112 of 29,490
Okay:

Pay price: less than $250 (some headphones' MSRP are high but can be found for cheaper)
Closed headphone
Good soundstage
Foldable/lie flat: (so they can easily fit into my backpack)
Midrange is good for pop/female vocals
Not too sibilant
Amp not required but can be used for better SQ: (I might decide to buy one later, but I want to avoid one for now)

Ultrasone DJ1 PRO is my primary choice right now. Any other suggestions for headphones?

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #2,113 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, I said it's the "closest"... I consider the D2000 and V6 to both have very flat frequecy responses, and to my ear I find them both rather plain sounding (but at least consistently so, for comparitive purposes). The ES7 is, well, it sounds like an Audio Technica with the usual airy texture. The AKG is essentially a bass cannon that slaps your ear drums. Given the choices, I'd go with the V6 for closest sounding.

I see what you're saying. I kind of find the D2k to be warm sounding and bass heavy. I never really found it analytical, haha. So the K518 LEs do have a considerable amount of bass? What's your experience with the other aspects? Are the mids recessed, or is the treble sibilant? I also don't like ear piercing highs. If you could just tell me about those aspects, I would be thankful. 

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #2,114 of 29,490
BTW, ES7 isn't full-sized but on ear design, unless you meant full-sized as in not IEM.

Oh and don't misunderstand what he said about ES7 having the usual airy texture. They sound nothing like the AD700. XD

As for the D2000, I've heard of them having a pretty noticeable v shaped curved. Consider how much better the D7000 is known to be over the D2000, I can tell you, they are NOT flat in sound...lol. They are definitely prominent on bass and treble, though the mids are not far behind (at least on the D7000).

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #2,115 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay:

Pay price: less than $250 (some headphones' MSRP are high but can be found for cheaper)
Closed headphone
Good soundstage
Foldable/lie flat: (so they can easily fit into my backpack)
Midrange is good for pop/female vocals
Not too sibilant
Amp not required but can be used for better SQ: (I might decide to buy one later, but I want to avoid one for now)

Ultrasone DJ1 PRO is my primary choice right now. Any other suggestions for headphones?

HFI-580

Users who are viewing this thread

Back