++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 10, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #2,086 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for something with good noise isolation, but is comfortable and not too warm on the ears after a few hours. Used primarily for studying in noisy environment, and also watching movies on laptop. Preferably cheap and durable too as I am a student on a tight budget. I am currently using IEM for studying but while it works it hurts my ears after a couple of hours.

Currently considering these headphones:
Sennheiser PX 200

Awaiting your wise inputs, thanks
dft009.gif

(Please quote me so I know your reply is directed to me, thanks!)

Some Beyerdynamic DT770s with the gel earpads have the best isolation I've heard in a closed headphone and don't get very warm.  They're pretty expensive though but I've never seen anything that does anywhere near as well, especially for any cheaper.

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #2,087 of 29,490

Quote:
The issue is that new people tend to think they need to post it here or they would be disrespectful or rude.

And that makes sense.
I mean.. look at the thread title.

I would think the same thing.

Okay, I will agree with you that the thread title is a bit aggressive... although judging by the number of posts by newcomers asking for "what's the best __", it clearly only has a marginal effect.

I still like my proposed idea in another thread where newcomers get this...

Quote:
I am looking for something with good noise isolation, but is comfortable and not too warm on the ears after a few hours. Used primarily for studying in noisy environment, and also watching movies on laptop. Preferably cheap and durable too as I am a student on a tight budget. I am currently using IEM for studying but while it works it hurts my ears after a couple of hours.

Currently considering these headphones:
Sennheiser PX 200

Awaiting your wise inputs, thanks
dft009.gif

(Please quote me so I know your reply is directed to me, thanks!)

Someone mentioned the DT770 already. A cheaper option with very good isolation is the Senn HD280.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #2,088 of 29,490
(As will soon be obvious, I am a new-comer. I hear there are lots nowadays? Anyways, I was wondering...) Is there a specific/good thread for discounts? I have been racking up more and more headphones on my list, the Koss UR40, Senn 212 (Any help on where to score some of those?), and some other cans, but all of them seem to be at market price. Sad right? But then I look at the reviews and people talk about how it was worth the money it was on while it was on sale. Any thread telling me what's on sale on Amazon, and when? Or just any help with sales on Senn's and Koss's (or any cans, I ain't picky!)???

Thanks for everything.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #2,089 of 29,490
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505970/the-deals-thread

Quote:
(As will soon be obvious, I am a new-comer. I hear there are lots nowadays? Anyways, I was wondering...) Is there a specific/good thread for discounts? I have been racking up more and more headphones on my list, the Koss UR40, Senn 212 (Any help on where to score some of those?), and some other cans, but all of them seem to be at market price. Sad right? But then I look at the reviews and people talk about how it was worth the money it was on while it was on sale. Any thread telling me what's on sale on Amazon, and when? Or just any help with sales on Senn's and Koss's (or any cans, I ain't picky!)???

Thanks for everything.

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #2,090 of 29,490
Hi, i looking to get a new pair of portable headphone for on-the-go uses. Upgrading from my ath-fc700.
Wants: Good isolation, good clarity, decent bass and good soundstage.
Budget about $200. Currently considering senn hd-25-II, Beyer T50p, senn px 360 and ath-esw9
Thanks.

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #2,091 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, i looking to get a new pair of portable headphone for on-the-go uses. Upgrading from my ath-fc700.
Wants: Good isolation, good clarity, decent bass and good soundstage.
Budget about $200. Currently considering senn hd-25-II, Beyer T50p, senn px 360 and ath-esw9
Thanks.

The HD25-II probably has the best isolation.  Don't know for sure about the 360, but the HD 25 =523&graphID[1]=1593&graphID[2]=2761&graphID[3]=&graphType=6&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]beats the other two in that area.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #2,093 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for ur reply. What about the soundstage? which portable headphone u think has the largest?

I don't know much about those that isn't on the graphs on Headroom.  I listened to the T50p once but I put it down right away because it had too much treble for my tastes.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #2,094 of 29,490

Quote:
I don't know much about those that isn't on the graphs on Headroom.  I listened to the T50p once but I put it down right away because it had too much treble for my tastes.

I totally concur.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #2,095 of 29,490
hey everyone! i was hoping for some help!

so after quite a bit of research i decided to buy some M50s...

so I purchased some ATH-M50 from a bloke on ebay, i think they were real (he bought them from asavings)((assuming asavings sell genuine M50's?????) anyway, so i listened for a while but decided against them because of some distinct crackling mainly, and because he ripped me off (lied about price he payed, where he got them, and all that jazz), i can still get them cheaper from asavings then what i did before...

anyway, so it seems the m50s are a very common over ear headphone and it has so many great reviews, but as a first time headphone buyer, i thought they sounded good, but they did crackle. now supposedly the cans were new but i could tell they had been used, the box tabs were loose etc. i guess what i want to know is everyone talks about the burn in process, now is it common for the m50s to crackle a little when new? 

there is nothing i hate more than hearing crackling in a song, it really S*** me off! i have bose sounddock, which doesnt crackle at all, and i am impressed with its sound. the m50s were the first real headphones that i have bought. 

i must say the crackling was minute, but enough to annoy me. if you want to listen to a song that the m50s crackled on, listen to shutterbug by Big Boi, and it was on about half volume.

so what i would like to know from you audio connoisseurs is;

1 being should i buy the m50s again,
2 being who off,
3 being if they crackle like this forever, or were my cans damaged/not burnt in.
and 4 being are there any other headphones i should consider? - i dont really want to spend over $300-350

i have an untrained ear to all the technical stuff, but i do have an ear for crackles, hell, im listening to my stock iphone buds right now damn

i should add that my fav genres are alternative (coldplay, temper trap, Miike snow etc), hippidy hop (lupe, kanye, drake, big boi, kid kudi) and i like to mix it up with a little dubstep now and then(zeds dead, Vacay Vitimins, and some folk also (angus and julia stone, mumford+sons, Xavier Rudd)

any info you guys and girls can give would be greatly appreciated, i know its easy to palm off the new kid but i would love to hear opinions 

thanks in advance,
AussieJarred

Mar 10, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #2,096 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am in need of some expert guidance on which headphones to buy for gaming/music at home.
Currently I own a sennheiser PXC 350 (the noise cancelling one) which is great since i use it in the (noisy) train. using them in rather quiet environments, however is not the most ideal because if i turn the noise cancelling off they sound worse (why is this?), and if i have noise cancelling on there is this hiss in the background. Like i said, thats fine in noisy environments, but it isnt at home.
So i need/want a pair of headphones for home use and gaming. Doing some research, I found that the Audio Tecnica ATH-AD700 is good, really good even for gaming and can be found for as little as 80 USD.
The problem is that this is not the case in the Netherlands, where the cheapest I can find them for is 190 USD.
So I need another pair, budget is around 150 USD. I do not have an amp, but I might get one in the future.
Games is mostly Left4Dead2, Crysis, HoN etc.
Music I listen to is almost exclusively classical, but ranging from Bach to Shostakovitch and Schoenberg, with all kinds of ensembles.
My computer has a sound card, a Creative PCI-e X-Fi Extreme. This has 3DCMSS, so i will be able to have surround sound on my headphone. I do not have Mixamp. 

Can anyone help me find a good pair of headphones for my situation?  

I think my post got buried 5 pages back...
Is my budget unrealistic? Keep in mind that I will not be reselling these or something, the idea is that I buy them and keep them until they break or something (I'm a student so I cant go around buying new headphones every month) So i want something that is good value for money and also good so that I can use them for quite some time without yearning to upgrade.
Like I said I do not have an amp but I am willing to extend my budget to get one if that makes a huge difference.

Headphones I have seen so far:
Sennheiser HD555 75-90 euro (2nd hand  - 130 euro new)
There was a HD 580 for sale this morning but thats gone now.
Audio Technica ATH - AD700 140 euro (already beyond my initial budget)
Sennheiser HD 598 170 euro - are these worth the extra 30-60 euro?
Beyerdynamik DT770 - these are around 150 euro

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #2,097 of 29,490
I'm looking for some help with a headphone purchase.  I'll be using it at night for use with gaming and movies through my Onkyo receiver and with my iPad for movies and music.  I don't have an amp or dac and my budget is $300.  Any help would be appreciated.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #2,098 of 29,490
bumping for visibility.

sorry BMW81, i am not as experienced as most of the other users here and as such wouldn't want to mislead you or anything by attempting to help. a good question to start you off though would be whether you want this to be a closed or open headphone.

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #2,099 of 29,490
I don't have a preference as I will be in the room alone.  I'm only using the headphones so others in the house don't have to listen when they are trying to sleep.  I simply want the best cans to fit my needs.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #2,100 of 29,490

Quote:
hey everyone! i was hoping for some help!

so after quite a bit of research i decided to buy some M50s...

so I purchased some ATH-M50 from a bloke on ebay, i think they were real (he bought them from asavings)((assuming asavings sell genuine M50's?????) anyway, so i listened for a while but decided against them because of some distinct crackling mainly, and because he ripped me off (lied about price he payed, where he got them, and all that jazz), i can still get them cheaper from asavings then what i did before...

anyway, so it seems the m50s are a very common over ear headphone and it has so many great reviews, but as a first time headphone buyer, i thought they sounded good, but they did crackle. now supposedly the cans were new but i could tell they had been used, the box tabs were loose etc. i guess what i want to know is everyone talks about the burn in process, now is it common for the m50s to crackle a little when new? 

there is nothing i hate more than hearing crackling in a song, it really S*** me off! i have bose sounddock, which doesnt crackle at all, and i am impressed with its sound. the m50s were the first real headphones that i have bought. 

i must say the crackling was minute, but enough to annoy me. if you want to listen to a song that the m50s crackled on, listen to shutterbug by Big Boi, and it was on about half volume.

so what i would like to know from you audio connoisseurs is;

1 being should i buy the m50s again,
2 being who off,
3 being if they crackle like this forever, or were my cans damaged/not burnt in.
and 4 being are there any other headphones i should consider? - i dont really want to spend over $300-350

i have an untrained ear to all the technical stuff, but i do have an ear for crackles, hell, im listening to my stock iphone buds right now damn

i should add that my fav genres are alternative (coldplay, temper trap, Miike snow etc), hippidy hop (lupe, kanye, drake, big boi, kid kudi) and i like to mix it up with a little dubstep now and then(zeds dead, Vacay Vitimins, and some folk also (angus and julia stone, mumford+sons, Xavier Rudd)

any info you guys and girls can give would be greatly appreciated, i know its easy to palm off the new kid but i would love to hear opinions 

thanks in advance,
AussieJarred

Assuming your pair are genuine, the crackling could simply be dirt or some random fluff touching the driver. I you can open up the cups and have a can of compressed air, give it a couple of gentle bursts of air and see if that cleans it out. The less recommended method is to also crank the volume up and shake it a bit.

Maybe give some of the big Beyers (DT770/880/990) some consideration.

Quote:
I think my post got buried 5 pages back...
Is my budget unrealistic? Keep in mind that I will not be reselling these or something, the idea is that I buy them and keep them until they break or something (I'm a student so I cant go around buying new headphones every month) So i want something that is good value for money and also good so that I can use them for quite some time without yearning to upgrade.
Like I said I do not have an amp but I am willing to extend my budget to get one if that makes a huge difference.

Headphones I have seen so far:
Sennheiser HD555 75-90 euro (2nd hand  - 130 euro new)
There was a HD 580 for sale this morning but thats gone now.
Audio Technica ATH - AD700 140 euro (already beyond my initial budget)
Sennheiser HD 598 170 euro - are these worth the extra 30-60 euro?
Beyerdynamik DT770 - these are around 150 euro

For your needs and budget, I say go with the HD555 and do the simple mod to bring them up to the 595.

Quote:
I don't have a preference as I will be in the room alone.  I'm only using the headphones so others in the house don't have to listen when they are trying to sleep.  I simply want the best cans to fit my needs.

a few options:
Audio Technica ATH-A900
Denon D2000
Beyerdynamic DT770 (this one probably won't sound very good off the ipad)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back