++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #2,071 of 29,490

Quote:

IEMs are probably better if you plan to use them on the go a lot.  Anything I know of that's closed, halfway portable, and has a soundstage good enough for orchestras is out of your budget and/or would probably need an amp to go with it.

I see... Just as a reference, if the headphones were to be "open", what would you recommend?? 
(Also, are there any IEMs you would recommend for my case??)

^-^ Once again, thanks for the info.

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2,072 of 29,490

Quote:

IEMs are probably better if you plan to use them on the go a lot.  Anything I know of that's closed, halfway portable, and has a soundstage good enough for orchestras is out of your budget and/or would probably need an amp to go with it.

I don't necessarily agree.

ATH-m50's could be a good choice.
Sony MDR-V6 (Not sure how well these isolate)
Also.. 

Remember, IEM's almost always have worse soundstage than fullsize headphones.

There was a huge review post that reviewed a ton of portable headphones.
Does anyone know where that is? I can't seem to find it.

EDIT:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-150-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fx700-fad-fi-ba-ss-1964-t-added-02-27
Look there for reviews of tons of IEM's. It's always worth considering your options

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #2,073 of 29,490
I haven't been paying much attention to IEMs in that price range lately so I couldn't give you a specific model.

For full size open phones with some soundstage, the Audio Technica AD700 or Sennheiser HD555 should be good choices.  FWIR the AD700s trade away some bass for more soundstage.  Neither of those are portable though.  I've never heard either of them myself, but there's a lot written about them that you should check out before making a decision.

Also, regarding soundstage, while the e3cs you had don't exactly have a large stage themselves they (along with most IEMs) lack the "closed-in" feeling that cheaper full sized closed 'phones often have with ruins large orchestras for me (even though that's hardly my primary genre) which is why I suggested you stay with IEMs.

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #2,074 of 29,490
I have almost no reviews of these... "http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Atomic-Bass-Carrying-Tangle/dp/B0044UHU78/ref=dp_ob_title_ce" and I think they look like they have potential. (Hence why I mentioned these, despite my normal rules of over-ears ONLY)

Also, what are the best headphones for these genres...?

Rap- Under 150$

Dubstep/Techno- Possibly the same cans as the rap?

Rock/alternative rock/everything else on my ipod basically- 150$

I just want some REALLY bass-heavy headphones that are over-ears, comfy, and just mindblowing bass. I don't believe in too much bass, btw. And then, I want headphones (over ears again) for everything else besides the bass stuff. Is this a good enough description? Please ask questions if nothing is clear.

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #2,076 of 29,490
Quote:
I have almost no reviews of these... "http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Atomic-Bass-Carrying-Tangle/dp/B0044UHU78/ref=dp_ob_title_ce" and I think they look like they have potential. (Hence why I mentioned these, despite my normal rules of over-ears ONLY)

Also, what are the best headphones for these genres...?

Rap- Under 150$

Dubstep/Techno- Possibly the same cans as the rap?

Rock/alternative rock/everything else on my ipod basically- 150$

I just want some REALLY bass-heavy headphones that are over-ears, comfy, and just mindblowing bass. I don't believe in too much bass, btw. And then, I want headphones (over ears again) for everything else besides the bass stuff. Is this a good enough description? Please ask questions if nothing is clear.

Sony XB700s.  Amazingly deep bass, sparkly highs, warm mids, and great for rap and bass heavy electronica.

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #2,077 of 29,490
^-^ Thanks for the link and information, nullstring and maverickronin!! I will definitely look into the options in the portable headphone list (hopefully my local audioshop will let me test), as well as look into IEMs.

Wish me luck!! (...and wish luck to my wallet if I manage to up my limit.)

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,079 of 29,490

Quote:
This thread is almost impossible to keep up with o__O

One of the reasons that I think it's a stupid idea.
I would really rather people made separate threads.

They work out better..
Conversations don't intersect and people don't get (as easily) forgotten.

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2,080 of 29,490
Mar 9, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #2,081 of 29,490

Quote:
^-^ Hello everyone!! I'm just another newbie here about to take his wallet into furnace!!
I once had a pair of Shure E3cs which recently died on me, but instead of getting another pair of IEMs I thought it'll be cool to try a full set of cans instead.

Budget: $100-150 USD
Musical Genre: Classical, Jazz, and acoustic based music (I actually listen to everything, but classical is my 'go to' genre.)
Open/Closed: Preferably closed, since I intend to take the headphones to work/school and maybe travel with them.
AMP: I currently don't have an amp, but I can include one (preferably a portable one) if it falls within the $150 budget.

Other Thoughts:  If you think it will be better for me to go back to IEMs, I will gladly take suggestions for those as well.

Thanks for your time!!

You would probably love Audio Technica Ad700, the problem is that they aren't good for portable, despite being easy to drive. They are kind of big and are open, not great for on the go. What you COULD do though, is buy the Ad700 for $90 right now:
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU

Then buy Head Direct Re0 for $70. The Re0 are decent IEMs, and probably the best for your genres at that price. It puts you slightly over budget but it'd be one possibility for you.

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #2,082 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub Beatz 

This thread is almost impossible to keep up with o__O

One of the reasons that I think it's a stupid idea.
I would really rather people made separate threads.

They work out better..
Conversations don't intersect and people don't get (as easily) forgotten.

I think it's alright. It serves its purpose of being a catch all place to ask questions and cleans up the main forum a *little* bit, plus sometimes newbies are afraid to start a new thread. New people can also just read a few pages of the thread (high hopes, I know) and chances are someone would have already asked a similar question so they can see the recommendations.

It's not like this thread causes any harm by being here, we're not forcing people to be here if they don't want to, and we're not stopping people from starting their own threads either.

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #2,083 of 29,490
The issue is that new people tend to think they need to post it here or they would be disrespectful or rude.

And that makes sense.
I mean.. look at the thread title.

I would think the same thing.

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #2,085 of 29,490
I am looking for something with good noise isolation, but is comfortable and not too warm on the ears after a few hours. Used primarily for studying in noisy environment, and also watching movies on laptop. Preferably cheap and durable too as I am a student on a tight budget. I am currently using IEM for studying but while it works it hurts my ears after a couple of hours.

Currently considering these headphones:
Sennheiser PX 200

Awaiting your wise inputs, thanks
dft009.gif

(Please quote me so I know your reply is directed to me, thanks!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back