++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 1, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #1,846 of 29,490
Yeah i know i'm quite limited when going with the closed option, i do have a selection of IEMs which fit the bill in terms of sound but been having problems with ear pressure and found full size didn't irritate my ears so i wanted to get some reasonable closed full sizes and then further down the line i'll get a good quality open set for home then i'll have a selection that suit all occasions :D

Well thats what i was hoping for anyway...not knowing much about full size i realised i may be asking the impossible but thought i'd see what peoples knowledge says...

Soundwise i quite liked the goldring DR150 sound but even with my amp they were still not at a great level from my device with volumes on max (i know my android device isn't amazingly well powered but the SR60s had an abundance of power even without the amp).

If closed is too much of an ask i found there was also a lot less leakage from the DR150s so a set that has very minimal leakage if closed is pushing my luck?

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #1,848 of 29,490
Just a follow up i've had a look at some closed headphones around the £50 mark since i dont want to spend much on the portable ones (i'll spend more when i get the open ones for indoors) and came up with a list...if any people who are familiar with these on my music tastes could give some feedback that would be much appreciated:

Music tastes: Rock, Metal, Country, Jazz, Classical, Hip Hop ish, Industrial...i like a fast punchy bass thats not overbearing and kicks in when needed, overall warm tone to the sound but clear distinct mids...(hope that makes sense....radiopaq jazz fit the bill in the IEM market on a budget if people are familiar with them).

Options:

Sennheiser HD448
Beyerdynamic DT235
JVC HA-RX900
pioneer se m390
shure srh240
goldring ns1000

Answers on a postcard please :D

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #1,849 of 29,490
So, my second set of Shure SCL4s have cracked wires and I'm out of warranty. Replacement cost with Shure is $109, which I'm tempted to pay because I LOVE the sound of these earphones. However, I'm tired of this cycle of cracked wires. Can anyone suggest some current earphones that have similar sound quality and sound "signature" but better durability?

Specifically, I listen to a lot of talk audio (such as podcasts), electronica, rock, and some pop and classical. Despite some of my music choices there, I don't think I want something bass heavy (as I've discovered with my pair of Klipsch S4s, which sound over the top on the low end). My SCL4s were definitely not bass heavy, but I enjoyed the clear mid and high range on them.

The SCL4s were my introduction to high-end IEMs (the best I had before that was some Shure E2cs, and then just a bunch of crummy ~$50 Sonys), so I don't have a lot of experience with different brands or models. I like the Shures I've had, so I'd prefer to stay there, but I'm open to other brands. Thanks much.

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,851 of 29,490
with the  M-Audio Q40 do i need an amp if i where to plug them into my tv or laptop?  Same with the shure 750 would they also need an amp.  My technicas didn't need an amp  so im hoping these don't either.  

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #1,854 of 29,490

I'll turn you to my review of the HD 448 (check sig) - It just about meets your needs except that it is a little light on the bass Impact.  All the other bass characters are there, and the mids are as rich as you'll find for the price.

Also, if punchy bass means a lot to you, it'll cost a bit more but you can check out my review of the PX 360 (in sig as well).
Quote:
Just a follow up i've had a look at some closed headphones around the £50 mark since i dont want to spend much on the portable ones (i'll spend more when i get the open ones for indoors) and came up with a list...if any people who are familiar with these on my music tastes could give some feedback that would be much appreciated:

Music tastes: Rock, Metal, Country, Jazz, Classical, Hip Hop ish, Industrial...i like a fast punchy bass thats not overbearing and kicks in when needed, overall warm tone to the sound but clear distinct mids...(hope that makes sense....radiopaq jazz fit the bill in the IEM market on a budget if people are familiar with them).

Options:

Sennheiser HD448
Beyerdynamic DT235
JVC HA-RX900
pioneer se m390
shure srh240
goldring ns1000

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,856 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, I'm from Singapore and my budget is around $100. Currently I'm using 2year old Sennheiser HD202. I'm thinking of upgrading, and last year I tested Denon 501 and I kind of like it. My question is the new version, Denon 510, better? or can you give me alternative?

I'm listen any kind of music, and currently liking to jazz/swing and sometime I'm using it to watch anime/movie. I have amp FiiO E5. Thanks

If you shop around, you should be able to find a Denon D1001 or Creative Aurvana Live (same headphone) for that price which should be a good step up..

Quote:
I have a n00b question. How do you properly pronounce, Phiaton?

I've always pronounced it "fie-a-tone"
("fie" like "fire" without the r)

Quote:
Ok i've been using IEMs and with a portable amp connected to an android device (when on the move) for a little while now but sometimes i get irritated with IEMs when i'm out and about so would like to add some full size headphones to my arsenal.

I know a lot of people who are familiar with full size don't know much about IEMs so you can't really compare to the ones i used when it comes to full size so i've been borrowing a friends full size to try and work out what i'm after.

Here's what i've found so far...

Grado SR60 - nice power...not quite enough low end for my particular tastes (not far off though)

Goldring DR150 - slightly under powered...good overall soundstage for my tastes in music

So it seems i'm after something thats a cross between the two of them and i would need it closed (i know open is better but since it's for when i'm out and about i doubt people want to hear my tunes).

Budget wise...£50-100 i'm not looking for the ultimate...just a decent starter that ticks the boxes for the above...

Location....i'm in the UK so UK sellers are preferrable...

Any help is much appreciated

Phiaton MS300 is like a closed grado (which is a bit of an oxymoron, but it works) and carries a nice punchy low end typical of the Phiaton family. Very easily driven, does not need an amp.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #1,857 of 29,490

Quote:

Options:

Sennheiser HD448
Beyerdynamic DT235
JVC HA-RX900
pioneer se m390
shure srh240
goldring ns1000

I've only heard the 448 of those listed, and wasn't too impressed with it. I preferred the 438 which had a nicer bass presence.

Quote:
ATH 700MK2 vs ATH M50S which one is better? couldn't decide between these two.

I'll say 700mk2, but that's because I don't like the M50
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
with the  M-Audio Q40 do i need an amp if i where to plug them into my tv or laptop?  Same with the shure 750 would they also need an amp.  My technicas didn't need an amp  so im hoping these don't either.  

No, they do not need an amp and sound perfectly fine from most sources. They sound *better* with an amp and scale very quickly (moreso than other headphones I've tried), but are perfectly fine without.

Quote:
Is the isolation on the M50s better than the Beats Solo? (Sorry for bringing up the Beats if anyone dislikes them)

Isolation is very specific per person. Some people get great isolation from supraaural (the Solos), but others don't. The M50 with Shure 840 pads is quite good for isolation.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #1,859 of 29,490
My first cans were Sony v6 & loved those, but when they broke after 10 years of use, I mistakenly bought some v600s not knowing any better. Then I started reading threads here & ended up purchasing the following, which I currently still have:
Grado SR80
Beyerdynamic DT 770/80
PA2v2 pocket amp

The SR80s are great for listening to classic rock & acoustic music. The 770s I use for gaming and listening to pop or other types of music. Both I mainly listen to at my desk, no need for portability.

I'm somewhat at a loss of where to go from here. I can't find any stores around here that carry anything higher than about the ATH-M50s or Senn 280s.

My main musical likes: The Beatles, Doors, Jimi Hendrix, older U2, Led Zeppelin, older Cure, 60's folk, stuff like that. So sounding great for that type of music is foremost. Then I listen to most every genre of music somewhat (not much classical though), but that would be secondary.

My budget is undecided at the moment, but I suppose $500-700 total including amp.

I've been reading about & considering:
Sennheiser HD 600/650 (but the blue marbled look is VERY ugly!)
Dennon D2000/5000
Grado 325i
AKG K701(probably not these though)

Without being able to test any, it's a tough decision.

For amp, I was thinking the e7/e9, or Maverick D1, but that's another forum.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,860 of 29,490
Hey all. Lurker here, first time posting.

So, my SR80s are arriving tomorrow, but I've got a question. Would I need to baby these headphones or are they durable? From what I can tell, the weakest part is where the metal rod joins the plastic fork. It looks like it can break pretty easily in the pictures I've seen... Am I right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back