++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #1,831 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, I want to buy some Audio Technica M50's (coiled version) and I was wondering if this Ebay seller is legit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-ATHM50-Pro-Studio-Headphones-/150568937084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230e9ba67c

I see that this guy has over 1000 sales, and most of them are positive, but I just wanna make sure. He only has 1 sold of the coiled version of the M50s.

I see the same person has the straight version of the M50 for sale here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50S-Headphones-Studio-Phones-/150567756927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230e89a47f

This one has 11 sold, and I think all of them are positive feedback.

Can someone just tell me if the M50s in the first link I posted looks real? Thanks!

seems like a legit seller. I know amazon has them right around 115-120 ( saw them at 116 earlier, now back at 121) so just giving u another option

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #1,832 of 29,490
Ok so I am highly considering grabbing a pair of HFI 780's now, they seem to cost around $200 at most places, but I'm wondering if these are a true step up from the PRO700's, the DT-770s dont look like theyd suit my needs along with the D2000s so its between the 'sones and those AKGs. expertise?

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #1,833 of 29,490
First time buyer.
$80ish limit, and because it's so low preferable a pair that will be fine without an amp.
Will listen through computer/iPhone.
Music: Emphasis on experimental/electronic music. Want a decent bass as some music I listen to is bassy, but this doesn't need to be a huge keypoint . Also listen to a lot of indi rock.
Thank You.

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #1,834 of 29,490

Quote:
First time buyer.
$80ish limit, and because it's so low preferable a pair that will be fine without an amp.
Will listen through computer/iPhone.
Music: Emphasis on experimental/electronic music. Want a decent bass as some music I listen to is bassy, but this doesn't need to be a huge keypoint . Also listen to a lot of indi rock.
Thank You.

Are you looking into IEMs at all?

Quote:
Hello new member here, looking for advice on buying a better headphones. I am a total noob when it comes to "Hi-Fi" equipment, I owned a pair of Sennheiser HD555 for a year but I am thinking about selling them because they cause discomfort on my ears (I have prominent ears) and I think the bass on them is pretty weak, though I am waiting on an amp to see how before deciding if I am going to keep them or not. I really just bought them for gaming, but now I hardly play anymore and would perfer decent music headphones.

I am looking for a headphone for around $200 that would sound good with my music preference and equipment I am planning on buying. I am looking into buying a FiiO E9 DAC for home use and E7 for portable listening. I read they were decent entry level amps. and the E9 benefits from attaching the E7. I listen to a wide variety of stuff, but I usually listen to Dubstep, Drum and Bass, Rap, Hip-Hop, Videogame/Movie soundtracks/Orchestras. I always try to grab the highest quality possible. Open or closed cans. I was thinking about Akg K702 or Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO, though I am not sure what ohm 32/80/250 version should I buy, where the E7 would be able to support.

The Beyerdynamic Dt770 Pro 80ohm you may like, though they are a bit bass heavy. Check out this thread for the details between the versions: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more
I've never tried these models I'm going to suggest, but you can read some detailed threads about them here: Sony XB700 and Ultrasone HF580. They are known to be rather bass heavy which I think is what you're wanting, yes?
The K702 should be off of your list though as they don't have good sub bass, which would really hurt your dubstep listening, they also require a higher end amp.

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #1,835 of 29,490
I have $100-150 no higher  budget, bought the ath m50 left side is going dead I have a warranty sending them to get fix. I want to buy the akg k240 but is the quality as good or better then the ath m50? If you have a recommended any pair of cans let me know. I do game a little and the ATH did fine with that. Im not a bass head but I do like some bass Again the m50 did fine with that too. I love my ath m50 but my bro needs some headphones I probably give him the M50 but I also want to try a new pair of headphones since I have the cash to spend.

Thank you, Sorry I didn't see this post or I would've post here right away. 

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #1,836 of 29,490
I'm currently looking for a new set of headphones. I listen to mostly electro house, trance, and dubstep; although I occasionally listen to rock and hip hop. I had an Alessandro MS-1 before, and I really enjoyed them, but I didn't really listen to a lot of what I listen to now, so I'm not completely sure how to judge them. Would like to have a nice bass that isn't muddied out. I'm going to be wearing it a lot for when I go to class and long travels. My budget is around $200, maybe pushing it to $300 if the price is worth extra costs (although the cheaper the better, as I'm still a college student with no job). Also looking to spend $100-$200 for a portable amp later down the road. Will be listening from a Sansa Clip+ most of the times.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #1,837 of 29,490

Quote:
I have $100-150 no higher  budget, bought the ath m50 left side is going dead I have a warranty sending them to get fix. I want to buy the akg k240 but is the quality as good or better then the ath m50? If you have a recommended any pair of cans let me know. I do game a little and the ATH did fine with that. Im not a bass head but I do like some bass Again the m50 did fine with that too. I love my ath m50 but my bro needs some headphones I probably give him the M50 but I also want to try a new pair of headphones since I have the cash to spend.

Thank you, Sorry I didn't see this post or I would've post here right away. 

Shure 750DJ or 840 are pretty standard alternatives. I also like to recommend the M-Audio Q40.

Quote:
I'm currently looking for a new set of headphones. I listen to mostly electro house, trance, and dubstep; although I occasionally listen to rock and hip hop. I had an Alessandro MS-1 before, and I really enjoyed them, but I didn't really listen to a lot of what I listen to now, so I'm not completely sure how to judge them. Would like to have a nice bass that isn't muddied out. I'm going to be wearing it a lot for when I go to class and long travels. My budget is around $200, maybe pushing it to $300 if the price is worth extra costs (although the cheaper the better, as I'm still a college student with no job). Also looking to spend $100-$200 for a portable amp later down the road. Will be listening from a Sansa Clip+ most of the times.

Same recommendations as above, plus the Pioneer HDJ-2000.

The M-Audio Q40 with an amp is probably one of my favourite headphones for electro/trance/etc type music.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #1,839 of 29,490
That depends on your budget... ultra portable amp only: iBasso T3/T4, Pico Slim, Headstage Arrow 3G, RSA P-51/Shadow
with dac: iBasso D2+, Leckerton UHA-4

etc etc.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #1,840 of 29,490
Hello, I'm from Singapore and my budget is around $100. Currently I'm using 2year old Sennheiser HD202. I'm thinking of upgrading, and last year I tested Denon 501 and I kind of like it. My question is the new version, Denon 510, better? or can you give me alternative?

I'm listen any kind of music, and currently liking to jazz/swing and sometime I'm using it to watch anime/movie. I have amp FiiO E5. Thanks

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #1,842 of 29,490
Ok i've been using IEMs and with a portable amp connected to an android device (when on the move) for a little while now but sometimes i get irritated with IEMs when i'm out and about so would like to add some full size headphones to my arsenal.

I know a lot of people who are familiar with full size don't know much about IEMs so you can't really compare to the ones i used when it comes to full size so i've been borrowing a friends full size to try and work out what i'm after.

Here's what i've found so far...

Grado SR60 - nice power...not quite enough low end for my particular tastes (not far off though)

Goldring DR150 - slightly under powered...good overall soundstage for my tastes in music

So it seems i'm after something thats a cross between the two of them and i would need it closed (i know open is better but since it's for when i'm out and about i doubt people want to hear my tunes).

Budget wise...£50-100 i'm not looking for the ultimate...just a decent starter that ticks the boxes for the above...

Location....i'm in the UK so UK sellers are preferrable...

Any help is much appreciated

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #1,845 of 29,490
They'll definitely leak sound. If you're looking for full sized to use out and about you're going to either have to deal with leakage/noise interrupting your music, or you're going to have to severely limit your options. I recommend simply having a decent pair of IEMs for on the go and full sized for home use. This will not only help preserve your hearing*, but will help preserve your full sized headphones.

*I say preserve because when using non isolating headphones in public you need to turn up the headphones to "unsafe" volumes to compensate for the incoming noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back