++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #1,666 of 29,490
Feb 20, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,667 of 29,490
Yea, I've read that many times over, I was just wondering if anybody else had some personal experience. Anyway, thanks for all the help.
I've decided to go with the DT770 Pro 250 ohm off B&H, $170, $200 shipped and after taxes. Just incase anybody was in the same situation, my reasoning was that the 80 ohm version seems to have really overpowering bass, and the PA2V2 is a warmer, on the bassy side type amp, so I decided for the 250 ohm. Can't wait for them to get here, my first real set of cans :D

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #1,668 of 29,490
Thanks, I had read that before, just never all the way down to the amping portion. Got it now, thanks for the link / reminder. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #1,670 of 29,490

Quote:
Yea, I've read that many times over, I was just wondering if anybody else had some personal experience. Anyway, thanks for all the help.
I've decided to go with the DT770 Pro 250 ohm off B&H, $170, $200 shipped and after taxes. Just incase anybody was in the same situation, my reasoning was that the 80 ohm version seems to have really overpowering bass, and the PA2V2 is a warmer, on the bassy side type amp, so I decided for the 250 ohm. Can't wait for them to get here, my first real set of cans :D

You won't regret with your purchase. Sorry for your wallet though.

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #1,672 of 29,490
After about 2 weeks of having my MDR-7506's and K81DJ's, the upgrade bug has attacked and it brought along its friends and family, lol.

What I'm looking for:
Something OPEN, goes well with the Fiio e7/e9, <$300 or so

What I'm looking at
I've been looking for info on the Senn HD598 (purrrty), HD558,  Alessandro/Grado's, DTX 900 and finally the MDR-SA5000

Use
Music Music Music.  I listen to pretty much anything and everything, so long as its good.  oh and they will also be primarily used at home.  Don't wanna be rude with my open cans leaking music everywhere
L3000.gif

Other notes
-i LOOVE me my bass, but after listening to some classical music with the Sony's, I want those highs and mids too

-Not really open to the idea of any AKGs as I've read they are pretty finicky when it comes to amping and what not, but you sure can try to convince me otherwise, lol.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #1,673 of 29,490
Quote:
If you want strong isolation and zero leakage I'd recommend looking at IEMs and see if you find them comfy.  Personally I find them far better for extended listening sessions than full size 'phones but it all depends on the individual.

Maybe I over-emphasized isolation and leakage - either way, IEMs are out of the question for both cases (even though they would be superior for isolation/leakage). Spent most of today researching, and I think that if the HD448 indeed show up, I'll try them, and probably keep them for phone 1. If they are too loose for phone 2 (I suspect so), that will probably be Sony MDR-XB500 or Panasonic RP-HTX7. If HD448 doesn't show up, I'll pick 438 or 428, depending on what is in stock same place as phone 2.

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #1,674 of 29,490
Hello,

I am looking to recommend headphones to my dad. He is interested in the Bose QC15 because of comfort and sound isolation. 
Help me offer him something better for the money. His budget is 300$ and i could convince him to spend some of that on an amp. 

I am looking for a very comfortable headphone with a warm sound signature and great sound isolation in the 300$ range. Or maybe a headphone and an amp with a total around 300$ cost. 

Thanks,

Alex

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #1,675 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey Maverick, do you have any a Denon on sale? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on the forums about you having some, if you are willing to sell them, I am interested :wink:

I used to own both the D2000 and D5000 but I no longer have either.

Quote:
After about 2 weeks of having my MDR-7506's and K81DJ's, the upgrade bug has attacked and it brought along its friends and family, lol.

What I'm looking for:

What I'm looking at
I've been looking for info on the Senn HD598 (purrrty), HD558,  Alessandro/Grado's, DTX 900 and finally the MDR-SA5000

Use
Music Music Music.  I listen to pretty much anything and everything, so long as its good.  oh and they will also be primarily used at home.  Don't wanna be rude with my open cans leaking music everywhere
L3000.gif

Other notes
-i LOOVE me my bass, but after listening to some classical music with the Sony's, I want those highs and mids too

-Not really open to the idea of any AKGs as I've read they are pretty finicky when it comes to amping and what not, but you sure can try to convince me otherwise, lol.

The SA5000s have great soundstaging and imaging, but not much in the way of bass extension.  I never got to extensively test mine when I owned them, but for most metal, rock, similar genres the bass went deep enough most of the time, but electronic drum machines and what not in my techno/trance/electronica and some Jpop were barely audible or completely MIA.

Grados are great for anything with guitars, acoustic or electric but left me wanting more with other music.  I've never heard those Senns or the DTX900.

I could recommend the Beyer DT990 though.  Its open, has plenty of bass, and large soundstage as well.  Their prices seem to have gone up lately, but you should be able to get one for not much more than $300.  Its got a lot of treble energy as well which may not suit your preferences.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #1,677 of 29,490

Quote:
Which headphones would  you choose for Indie Rock, with good isolation and under 100 euros?

I think you've posted about this before 
wink.gif
  By far my favorite closed headphone for rock in your budget is SRH840.  It has great mids (unlike DT770-80, D2000/D5000) bass impact (unlike K271) good bass control and detailed but well-balanced treble (unlike DT770, D2000/D5000), making for a very satisfying sound.  They are only slightly flawed, with a somewhat limited soundstage.  But other closed headphones in that price range have much bigger flaws imo.  Jude, the founder of this site also recommends them as his favorite closed headphones under $200 (read down to the 6th & penultimate paragraph).  DT250-250 are very nice too, but don't isolate as well, need serious amplification to sound good and suffer a similar problem of limited soundstage.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #1,678 of 29,490

Quote:

What I'm looking for:

What I'm looking at

Use
L3000.gif

Other notes

imo the best all-rounder open headphones in your budget are HD600.  They, your amp and HD650 are discussed in this thread.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #1,679 of 29,490
Im looking for headphones 150 dollars or less. im looking for ones that are closed and that would be ideal for rap music. These will be used with an ipod touch 3rd gen unamped or a laptop unamped. My two main traits im looking for in these headphones are sound quality and comfort. Also, minimal sound leakage would be nice. Thanks!

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #1,680 of 29,490

Users who are viewing this thread

Back